Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

The Mythical Striker

I admit that I would love to see us sign a player like Ashton but a lot of people on here seem to pinning far to much on him.  Same goes for a lot of players mentioned.

I just hope you all aren''t too disappointed if:  a) NW doesn''t sign a striker we want OR  b) that striker doesn''t score the goals we need.

It seems this new striker is going to have a lot to live up to before we even know who they are.  Will this player be able to live up to the expectancy that is being placed upon them?  It appears that a lot of people think that signing this one magical player will keep us in the league.  It may well help but we also have to look at the goals we have conceded and how to score more goals from midfield (Damo not included).  Jonson, Bentley et all need to start chipping in with just a few goals, then it''s not quite as vital that we have a striker that has to score every chance that comes their way.

I want us to stay up and I think we are so close to doing it when I watch the matches, w could so easily have may more points by now.  However, one striker may not have converted all those draws to wins though, we have made some very basic errors in defence and that has cost us as many points as not signing a striker in the close season. 

What a fantastic post. 100% agree, yes we do need a striker but I think people are pinning thier hopes on this one magic striker who''ll come in and save us too much. Wake up. We don''t create theat many chances and our defence has been appalling, the last few games especially.

Also great point about the midfielders not chipping in with goals. Damo aside, Helveg, Bentley, Jonson, McVeigh, Mulryne, Holt and Safri have a combined goals tally of....... 2. All I keep hearing recently is how great Jonson is doing because he got his head bandaged up and continued to play, but every attack breaks down when the ball comes to him, he hasn''t scored or even looked like scoring and is he the slowest winger in the world?

Whoever we bring in is going to automatically be under pressure to produce something and I''m not convinced that a new striker will turn draws into wins and defeats into draws.

In many ways signing a Jamie Scowcroft is a much better move than getting Ashton. The expectation for Ashton to score will be enormous and a couple of no score games will mean the pressure could destroy his confidence.

As with Jonson and Helveg, the fans could quickly get on Ashtons back when the goals dont immediately start flowing and question why Worthy wasted our cash on such a risky signing.

However a Scowcroft would arrive with no great expectations, no pressure to score and could settle far quicker as long as they are not abused for being an ex-binner etc.

And any realistic assessment of this norwich city squad means that we are SEVERAL players short of being a premier quality team - midfield, defence and strikers are all needed, and buying just the one player is unlikely to significantly improve our chances of survival.

A striker would help, but it is not the panacea that many messages on this board think it will be.

OTBC

I understand what you mean Zip but I personally think Scowcroft would be a disaster, an ex binner who cant cut it at Leicester ??

We need some positivity to roll us on to the end of the season and Ashton would give us hope if nothing else. (plus he would give us a good chance of promotion if we fail to stay up.)

Unlike you I am quite happy with our current squad and although we conceded two goals against Liverpool I thought the defence coped adequately (Flemings poor clearance aside)

I would be happy to play Helveg , Doherty, Fleming and Charlton for every game untill the end of the season.

I would also be happy with this midfield Bentley, Safri, Francis, Huckerby

and I would be happy to Have Jarvis , Jonson or Crowe playing alongside our new striker.

So does that mean I am being more positive than you, goodness maybe I need to lie down. 

I entirely agree KG; if you look at my posts I have consistently opposed the signing of a lower class player like Scowcroft a consistent non performer. Hulse would be a far better option. My point was more about the fans expectations - the office is buzzing nearly as much as when Hux signed - he will not single handedly save us from relegation and he may take 3 months to pick up the required level.

However he is a huge step forward for the club - well done the board.

OTBC

It''s not a case of one man to keep us up, but if you at the situation in the Liverpool game, we were on the attack and in less than 30- seconds Liverpool were 1-0 down!!

The defence has been very good this year, and they have been under alot of pressure from the premier sides!!

Maybe there is too much pressure on them because they know if they let a goal it is unlikley we are going to win the game!!

Put a good striker up front for us to link up with the talent we have and I believe it could all change!!

And our best defensive signing in years was Hux last season - took the pressure of the defence enormously and transferred their performance - before he arrived they were shipping goals as quickly as they had during the previous 4 seasons.OTBC

This guy is the fan''s choice. He''s been mentioned on this board for the last year. Sure, there''ll be high expectations but I don''t perceive anyone will be on his back if he has a barren spell. Like Hux, we want him badly.

All the others mentioned were surprise acquisitions - so its not unexpected to hear some moans if they don''t perform. And Doherty and Safri, bless them, well when it appeared they were coming there was a lot of anti feeling ahead of the actual purchase.

The great thing about this signing is that it demonstrates to City fans that the club are ambitious within our limits.

Lets hope there are a few more surprises in midfield and defence. Now, who else do we want?

Steady folks, he is not here yet. Personally I am ecstatic he is a good player who is in form, but the personal terms haven''t been agreed yet. But along with our steadily improving other recent acquisitions I think he is as good as we could have hoped.

[quote]Steady folks, he is not here yet. Personally I am ecstatic he is a good player who is in form, but the personal terms haven''t been agreed yet. But along with our steadily improving other recent acquis...[/quote]

Can''t see personal terms being a problem as he''s only on 1500 quid a week at Crewe, depends what his damn agent wants I suppose.