Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Team for Saturday

Lambert has played 4 different starting XI''s so far this season, but which would you most like to see start at the reebok Stadium?

I Liked the formation we played vs stoke with the 2 wide men, Bennett and Pilkington. If I had to pick the team i''d play a 4-2-3-1 formation

Ruddy

Naughton   Barnett   De Laet   Tierney

Crofts      Johnson

Bennett            Hoolahan         Pilkington

Holt

Giving the front 4 a free role to attack and the back 6 to do the defending. Although With the bolton defence being rather slow maybe put James vaughan up on his own later on!

Whatever the team Hoolahan needs to be in it, we had zero penetration through the middle on Sunday, which was a big worry for me.                                                                                               Rudd                             Naughton                         Whitbread (if fit)          Barnett                 Tierney                                                                                                                                   Crofts                                                      Bennett                                                      Johnson                                                                                            Hoolahan                                                                      Holt                                       Jackson/Vaughan (We need some pace up front)As I said in another post De Laet is superb for 85 mins of a match but has made costly errors in almost every game I think a couple of games on the bench would do him good. We also need pace up front something that Lee Dixon noticed on MOTD2 and we need some creativity in midfield, not relying on Tierney to be overlapping and crossing into the box.

[quote user="Willmeister"]Whatever the team Hoolahan needs to be in it, we had zero penetration through the middle on Sunday, which was a big worry for me.                                                                                               Rudd                             Naughton                         Whitbread (if fit)          Barnett                 Tierney                                                                                                                                   Crofts                                                      Bennett                                                      Johnson                                                                                            Hoolahan                                                                      Holt                                       Jackson/Vaughan (We need some pace up front)As I said in another post De Laet is superb for 85 mins of a match but has made costly errors in almost every game I think a couple of games on the bench would do him good. We also need pace up front something that Lee Dixon noticed on MOTD2 and we need some creativity in midfield, not relying on Tierney to be overlapping and crossing into the box.[/quote]

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ALL OF THIS ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

[quote user="Willmeister"]Whatever the team Hoolahan needs to be in it, we had zero penetration through the middle on Sunday, which was a big worry for me.

Rudd

Naughton                         Whitbread (if fit)          Barnett                 Tierney

Crofts

Bennett                                                      Johnson

Hoolahan

Holt                                       Jackson/Vaughan (We need some pace up front)

As I said in another post De Laet is superb for 85 mins of a match but has made costly errors in almost every game I think a couple of games on the bench would do him good. We also need pace up front something that Lee Dixon noticed on MOTD2 and we need some creativity in midfield, not relying on Tierney to be overlapping and crossing into the box.
[/quote]

AGREE 100%!!!

Bolton play mainly route 1 up to Kevin Davis so there is no point having both Croft & Bennet in front of the back 4 as we did verses W Brom (where their route 1 tactic also made it a redundant formation IMO)

Is Vaughan going to be fit to play? If so i''d go with him & Morrison up front

I think we tend to be too narrow when we play the diamond, so I would go with this -

RUDDY

NAUGHTON DE LAIT BARNETT TIERNEY

FOX

BENNETT or PILKINGTON JOHNSON CROFTS

HOOLAHAN

HOLT

in a 4-1-3-1-1 formation. Bring Jackson or Vaughan on in the second half for Hoolahan and revert to 4-4-2. If Holt is struggling bring Morrison on in his place.

Ruddy

Naughton     Barnett     De Laet     Tierney

Johnson 

Bennett                                Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt                   Vaughan 

ruddy

martin.r barnett delaet tierney

fox

crofts pilkington

wessi

holt jackson

that would be my team but i think lambert will put this one out:

ruddy

naughton delaet barney tierney

crofts

pilkington johnson

wessi

holt vaughan

its clear we need creativity and pace. jackson or vaughan will give us pace and wes and fox are the ones that will provide the killer passes.

We need to get Fox and Hoolahan back in....harsh on Johnson but I think he makes way for them both with this suggested team below:

Ruddy

Naughton De Laet Barnett Tierney

Fox

Bennett Crofts

Hoolahan

Holt Morison

SUBS: Rudd, R Martin, Johnson, Surman, Pilkington, C Martin, Vaughan

[quote user="swjf50"]I think we tend to be too narrow when we play the diamond, so I would go with this -

RUDDY

NAUGHTON DE LAIT BARNETT TIERNEY

FOX

BENNETT or PILKINGTON JOHNSON CROFTS

HOOLAHAN

HOLT

in a 4-1-3-1-1 formation. Bring Jackson or Vaughan on in the second half for Hoolahan and revert to 4-4-2. If Holt is struggling bring Morrison on in his place.[/quote]I don''t think the diamond being too narrow is a problem, on sunday we played 4-4-2 and all the width came from Naughton and Tierney, If we can use them as the width again it also means we have some crearivity through the middle and means we won''t be a one trick pony which West Brom realised and dealt with comfortably all game. It will also give Naughton and Tierney maybe more licence to attack as the defence has the added protection of Crofts and a narrow midfield which means it would be harder to break against us. Wes also demonstrated on sunday he''s more than willing to track back and defend.The diamond is the formation that gets the best out of the players we have at the club, we have showed we aren''t going to play hoofball so lets use the diamond and get the width from Naughton and Tierney.

[quote user="alysha"]

Ruddy

Naughton     Barnett     De Laet     Tierney

Johnson 

Bennett                                Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt                   Vaughan 

[/quote]

I like that team and would swap Holt and Vaughan for Morrison and Jackson after 60 mins.

[quote user="Willmeister"]Whatever the team Hoolahan needs to be in it, we had zero penetration through the middle on Sunday, which was a big worry for me.                                                                                               Rudd                             Naughton                         Whitbread (if fit)          Barnett                 Tierney                                                                                                                                   Crofts                                                      Bennett                                                      Johnson                                                                                            Hoolahan                                                                      Holt                                       Jackson/Vaughan (We need some pace up front)As I said in another post De Laet is superb for 85 mins of a match but has made costly errors in almost every game I think a couple of games on the bench would do him good. We also need pace up front something that Lee Dixon noticed on MOTD2 and we need some creativity in midfield, not relying on Tierney to be overlapping and crossing into the box.[/quote]100% agreed!

[quote user="J.Warman"]i hope declan rudd gets a run of a few games, he looked good and he is only going to get better with experience[/quote]

He didn''t look that good though, did he?

When you think about he made a great save from the penalty and made a decent stop from Odemwingie (which was pretty much straight at him). But take those 2 moments out of it and really his performance was a lot of nervous goalkeeping and poor distribution.

I don''t see him taking John Ruddy''s place any time soon.

Though I''m sure the penalty save would have given him a lot of confidence and we all know how much a boost of confidence can improve a player.

Fox needs to come back in I think as well, I''d be tempted by something like this:

Ruddy

Naughton De Laet Barnett Tierney

Crofts Fox Johnson

Hoolahan

Holt Vaughan

Bennett to come on if we''re drawing/losing.