Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Rudd

Thought the lad had a very good game. My initial thoughts at the game were that he was partially at fault with the goal but MOTD showed it was all down to De Laets poor header the goal keeper never had a chance. He pulled off a couple of good saves and saved the penalty

agree. Very pleased with his performance. Wasn''t overly busy, but made some solid stops. Good distribution (most of the time). Great pen stop.

Totally agree. I think there was a huge amount of pressure on him, making his Prem debut live on Sky, and apart from a few wobbles he coped admirably.So pleased for him when he saved the pen.

Bad start when he chased a ball out of the box and then spent the next five minutes glued to his line. I actually think that that was a factor in the goal. Although I agree that De Laet bears much of the blame, Rudd did little to help him out. Great penalty save but spilt a couple as well. Good experience for the lad, but he''s not really a competitor to Ruddy just yet.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Bad start when he chased a ball out of the box and then spent the next five minutes glued to his line. I actually think that that was a factor in the goal. Although I agree that De Laet bears much of the blame, Rudd did little to help him out. Great penalty save but spilt a couple as well. Good experience for the lad, but he''s not really a competitor to Ruddy just yet.

[/quote]Agree with that summary. Would also add his kicking was dubious at times, but forgiveable, given the young lad has been thrust into the spotlight with little match experience. I''m also almost glad we conceded that penalty in a roundabout way, the save will give him confidence personally, and will probably raise his standing with the rest of the squad.

I thought he was nervous at the start, partly due to the goal, but as the came went by he got more and more confident and overall I think he did well. The only time he got really beat after the initial goal was when Dorrans hit the post and if that had of gone in we would of grudingly been admitting what a great strike it was.

Davo

Forgot about chasing the ball out of his box - the rest of his performance more than made up for that.  I can''t fault him for the goal, and as said, the only time he got beat was Dorrans, and that was a strike and a half - a contender for goal of the month if that came off.  He''s not first choice, but I would have absolutely no problem having him back in the side, although saying that , we could do a Marshall if that were to happen.

Before the game, if we were all asked - Would Rudd save a penalty, how many of us would have said yes and believed in him? His save proved that his performance was worthy of praise and that any doubters or slaters of him should be ashamed!

I would have backed him, when the Acadamy side had a run in the FA Youth Cup a few seasons back they went through 2 rounds on penalties with Rudd saving more than he conceded, if I remember correctly in one of the games he scored the winning penalty as well.

He had a good game but is still inexperienced and that can cost us points, so I would not like to have to rely on him too much this season which we may have to if Ruddy gets an injury. On the goal, I wondered whether he could have come out and called for the ball, which I think Ruddy may have done.  

Thought he was excellent!

Goal was de laets fault obviously.

WBA had 9ish shots on target and scored 1! Says it all really.

I was crapping myself before the game about Rudd playing. After the goal , I gained a lot of confidence in him. Thought he had a good game, would be happy with him between the sticks again should Ruddy get injured/suspended

I was particularly disappointed in De Laet over this goal full stop. Whether or not Declan Rudd called and then hesitated is irrelevant for me, with a rookie keeper plunged into premiership action on sky tv, defenders should not be taking risks so early in the game before anybody is settled, he simpy should have cleared his lines.However, my main point is, that during the aftermath, instead of being hell bent on arguing with rudd, he should have immediately shouldered the blame, irrespective of whether or not he felt rudd was at fault, and put an arm round his shoulder, because for the next 15-20 mins or so rudd was nervy and in this time the game could have been out of sight.All in all, not impressed with de laet one bit i''m afraid so far! 

Thought Rudd played very well. Youngest keeper in the Premier League so far this season. His kicking could improve, but I guess that will come from experience. De Laet for me is a tricky one. There''s no doubt about it that he has the makings of a class defender and for 80-85 mins he has showed this season, but in almost every game has made a school boy error that has costed us a goal. Is he a luxury we can afford at the moment? I''m not so sure.

De Laet has one eye on his masters at Old Trafford this season and will be wanting to impress, and as a central defender who plays his way out of trouble and is good with the ball at his feet, rather than one who clears with a big kick into the stands.

And thats all well and good, but his designs on being the "cultured" stopper have caught him out a few times-he only needs to look at his parent club to note that even Ferdinand, good on the ball as he is, will whack it into row ZZZ if needs must.

If he adds that to his game then he''ll be that class defender we need and a shoe in for every game. If he keeps making mistakes then he might find himself on the bench or worse, which is the last place he''ll want to be.

Mind you, with Jones and Smalling at OT looking like an England pairing in the future, he may not be guaranteed a new contract there anyway if he wants 1st team football-isn''t his OT contract up at the end of this season?

One for our long term future perhaps?

Rudd did exactly what you would expect from a raw, talented unexperienced keeper.

The first half he looked extremely nervous as did the 25,000 fans any time the ball came near the box. Several times he came charging out of his box when it was the defenders job to clear it, probably due to the manner of the early goal.

However he pulled off a decent save towards the end and grew and grew in confidence no doubt aided by the great penalty save.

I would not feel comfortable having Rudd in goal for a sustained period at the moment but you cannot expect a player at his age/level to compete at the highest level straight away. My guess would be that when Steer comes back in January the two will swap with Rudd going out on loan, maybe to a championship side.

I''m not surprised Rudd was nervous after De Laet let him down so early in the game and then tried to shift the blame onto Rudd by bawling him out.

Exactly Harry, you just don''t do that, to a rookie keeper, two minutes into his premiership debut, live on sky TV, he''s only young himself but given this "pedigree" everyone is on about Mr de Laet should have known better. There''s no gain in it at anytime but particularly not under these circumstances.de Laet QUIT THE UNECESSARY FANNYING ABOUT!!!!!

[quote user="Harry"]I''m not surprised Rudd was nervous after De Laet let him down so early in the game and then tried to shift the blame onto Rudd by bawling him out.[/quote]

To be fair Rudd had shown his nerves before that when he went walkabout in the opening minute of the game.

While De Laet should have dealt with the situation better he wasn''t totally to blame. Rudd stayed pretty much rooted to the spot and as such offered no help to his defender. It was obvious De Laet was going to try to head the ball back to him but Rudd didn''t read it.

Of course "when in doubt" De Laet should have just put the ball out of play and perhaps he should have taken into account that he was playing with a nervous and inexperienced ''keeper.

De Laet shouldn''t have put the blame on Rudd, he should have held his hands up for his part in it. However, Rudd wasn''t innocent either.

Been and gone, not to interested in blame mongering. Just hope De Laet sorts it for next game and Rudd has done himself no dis service as well in regards to his future at the club.