Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Our strikers are not good enough

After watching all of our games so far I have come to the following conclusion:

• Defence seems pretty good, a few too many errors but encouraging
  • Midfield seems genrally creative and promising
  • Strikers seems slow and uunable to score enough goals to keep us in this division, I think we are missing someone with the knowledge, pace, skill and ability that the PL requires.   In  this league the strikers really are the golden boys who make the difference, I do not see we have a player that fills this role

Time will tell but I have real concerns, as I am sure Swansea do about scoring enough goals to win enough games, so far we have not been able to score more than 1 goal in any given game and to be honest have not looked like scoring much more than this

A concerned fan

OTBC

St.John

After watching all of our games so far I have come to the following conclusion:

• Defence seems pretty good, a few too many errors but encouraging

• Midfield seems genrally creative and promising

• Strikers seems slow and uunable to score enough goals to keep us in this division, I think we are missing someone with the knowledge, pace, skill and ability that the PL requires.   In  this league the strikers really are the golden boys who make the difference, I do not see we have a player that fills this role

Time will tell but I have real concerns, as I am sure Swansea do about scoring enough goals to win enough games, so far we have not been able to score more than 1 goal in any given game and to be honest have not looked like scoring much more than this

A concerned fan

OTBC

St.John

To me the CBs have looked shaky, Tierney and Naughton have played well.

Midfield is looking good.

Holt is battling away like always, but at the mo we just dont have that killer instinct .

Hopefully Vaughan with a bit of pace and enthusiasm, can help that. Simeon should be given a chance aswell.

His pace could of ripped west brom CB apart

you are absolutely on the money with your comment about the strikers `being the golden boys` in this league.even some of the perceived `weaker` established premier sides have decent players upfront, look at odemwingie last week as if you need to be reminded, kevin davies at bolton etc. and at the other end of the spectrum, aguero, rooney, dzecko etc etc.

it`s where the big money goes, and with good reason. a team can play all the possession , pretty football in the world, but if the ball never goes into the `onion bag` then it`s pointless, in every sense of the word!!. and i agree about both norwich`s and swansea`s front men. neither side seem to have a cutting edge atm. come january that may well change, but it`ll cost.

OP - could you tell that Vaughan wasn''t up to it after 20 mins? wow! you should apply for Ewan Chester''s old job.

All the way from Dubai too...amazing.

I think with Holt and Martin playing together we are too one-paced (slow) to cause problems in this League. We need either Vaughan or Jackson to be starting IMHO.

Nothing like breeding confidence into any of our players that may read this forum...

How can anyone say the strikers aren''t good enough? - We''ve not even really seen James Vaughan yet, Grant Holt was a legend at Chelsea (arguably a much better side than West Brom), but 90 mins later isn''t quite held in such high regard. Weird.

Holt, Morison, Vaughan are more than good enough - It''s far too early to justify negativity. Sure, they didn''t have their best game in front of goal last Sunday, days like that happen, but then we''ve been through all this crap with Simeon Jackson before - ''not good enough at Championship level''... But credit to him (as Worthy would say ; ) ), he didn''t let it destroy his moral and eventually he proved many people on here wrong once he got a goal and a good run. I bet Morison etc will do exactly the same ; )

So, let''s get behind them. Too many mutes at the fortress last week when we could have done with that ''12th man'', which always lifts the level of performance...

OTBC

[quote user="spencer 1970"]OP - could you tell that Vaughan wasn''t up to it after 20 mins? wow! you should apply for Ewan Chester''s old job. All the way from Dubai too...amazing.[/quote]

As I said my comments are from what I have seen, and I have watched every game and I have not seen anything up front that I think will score enough goals.  Vaughn may or may not be the man but I doubt he is good enough or will stay injury free to score enough goals, time will tell. By the way I do not see what difference it makes being in Dubai?

[quote user="Alex "]Nothing like breeding confidence into any of our players that may read this forum... How can anyone say the strikers aren''t good enough? - We''ve not even really seen James Vaughan yet, Grant Holt was a legend at Chelsea (arguably a much better side than West Brom), but 90 mins later isn''t quite held in such high regard. Weird. Holt, Morison, Vaughan are more than good enough - It''s far too early to justify negativity. Sure, they didn''t have their best game in front of goal last Sunday, days like that happen, but then we''ve been through all this crap with Simeon Jackson before - ''not good enough at Championship level''... But credit to him (as Worthy would say ; ) ), he didn''t let it destroy his moral and eventually he proved many people on here wrong once he got a goal and a good run. I bet Morison etc will do exactly the same ; ) So, let''s get behind them. Too many mutes at the fortress last week when we could have done with that ''12th man'', which always lifts the level of performance... OTBC[/quote]

I am fully behind the team and will shout and support the 11 that run out on Saturday, this is just a comment, does this mean paul Lambert is not behind the team if he drops a player for not playing well....its a simple opinion and not based on the WBA game but all 4, we have scored only 3 goals in 4 games and only one was by a striker...hardly promising is it? I hope they are good enough but early signs would suggest they may not be

You`ve not really seen anything of Vaughan yet have you?

I expect to see goals coming from midfield, especially Pilkington and Bradley Johnson, it`s a collective effort with a team like Norwich, both in attack and defence.

We were poor up front against WBA but I expect to see an improvement on Saturday.

you don''t see any difference in being at a game or watching it on tele? Or do you fly back for each game. ;0)

If you don''t think there is any difference in watching on a screen or actually being at a game then I''ll just smile and leave you alone. I have nothing else to say to you...except...

The sky generation eh? tut tut!

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]Was at 2 gaames and in Dubai for 2, Mr 1970, how many have you been to?[/quote]Don''t worry mate I went to the Wigan away, Stoke at home, MK Dons at home, Chelsea away and WBA at home matches and I agree with you on the striker issue.I''m very positive about seeing James Vaughan upfront when he''s back fit and firing however!

good for you...I''m an away season ticket holder so 2 as well, but i''m not the one knocking our strikers...yet.

Now can you answer my earlier question - to be able to pass judgement on the players do you think there is no difference watching a game on tele or being at a game?

I think to be honest we have too many strikers.

I was unsure about it, but since were playing martin, I can''t see why we didn''t blow all of the money for vaughan and morrison on one ''super striker''.

A 4-5 million pound striker may well have been more of a risk. But a calculated one. We would still have 5 strikers (Wilbraham included) but I feel we would have been far better off.

When we were here 2004/05 we had Huckerby.

His pace is now missing, from the current line up. Therefore I would try Vaughan or Jackson from the start.

Remember we had Gary Doherty playing up front for early part of that same season!

I''m going to take a different approach to this and say that our strikers were not used effectively against West Brom and I suspect PL knows he got it wrong.

That said, how do you legislate for giving a goal away after 15 minutes, perhaps the plan was ruined?

I thought Holt and Martin worked well against Chelsea, as did the system which flooded midfield - we let a wonder goal in by failing to close down and lost Whitbread - but overall they system caused Chelsea problems.

Last week we needed mobility and pace to turn those large defenders but played into their hands somewhat; although I feel the plan was to use the pace of Bennett/Naughton and Surman/Tierney to get behind them. It almost worked but then we failed to sustain that method.

I think we have a good mix of strikers if blended correctly - especially away from home; but I would like to see the side settling down soon.

I think at the start of the season we have some forwards who on paper all premiership teams would say are not of a great threat.

But that is a promoted team that doesn''t spend money, I made a previous post about the number of goals that each position will target. Afraid 10% through the season we don''t have the start we would want on the stats that matter goals for, goals against and points.

In this league you can''t say lets wait, its too early to tell etc. each game is vital. There is no time (for a team in our position), you have to learn very quickly. We cannot be saying, oh the team needs time when we are a quarter of the way through the season. Which is very very soon.

Yes we are fighting for 17th place, that is what I expect and with the signings in the summer none were players that made me feel they were the quality catalyst or would make a premiership opposition feel that way. Lansbury, Pacheco could have been but we will not know the story there.

We have bought in young hungry players who can improve and they will learn this year. But they have to learn quickly if they want to be in that 17th place.

Do I think they are good enough, probably not. But if Lambert can get another 10% out of them they can be with a few additions of experience and proven ability.

Lambert says ''we are learning as this is all new for us''. Yes it is new, but as a club we know how we have made mistakes previously and where it took us. I don''t think it would be as severe as that with Lambert at all, but if we were to miss out on 17th then a year in the championship would still be very hard to even get in the playoffs in 2012/2013.

But I really hope we start making that push from the game against Bolton to make 17th place ours. We NEED this result more than them already this season.

[quote user="Gamera"]I think to be honest we have too many strikers.

I was unsure about it, but since were playing martin, I can''t see why we didn''t blow all of the money for vaughan and morrison on one ''super striker''.

A 4-5 million pound striker may well have been more of a risk. But a calculated one. We would still have 5 strikers (Wilbraham included) but I feel we would have been far better off.[/quote]I agree but who could we have got for £4/5 million?

St.JC - Although we didnt create too much in front of goal on Sunday I dont think this has been as evident in previous games.

Also we have plenty of striking options and we are only 4 days in so I think its far too early to say that they are not good enough as many of them we havent even seen enough of to pass comment IMO. Lets get behind the team and give them a chance! Were we expecting wins and lots of goals in our 1st 4 games? I dont think so...

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Gamera"]I think to be honest we have too many strikers. I was unsure about it, but since were playing martin, I can''t see why we didn''t blow all of the money for vaughan and morrison on one ''super striker''. A 4-5 million pound striker may well have been more of a risk. But a calculated one. We would still have 5 strikers (Wilbraham included) but I feel we would have been far better off.[/quote]
I agree but who could we have got for £4/5 million?
[/quote]

Leicester pay 5 million for average defender from reading so this amount for good striker is nothing.

To add big name with good ratio can cost 10 milion at least and doubt big name PL will buy + this name will come here.

My memories down back last time we play top level was that at same time Bellamy was with big problems and baddly need to go on loan somwhere(he go to celtic far as i remember) and belive that if we can risk pay him the week wage Bellamy can lift the crowd + add goals who can stay us for sure.

So not invest big names alwasys will struggle in attack.

Still I hope that is early for general comments and panic but belive with this fixrture list that we have if we not win this own level oponenets next weeks January will be too late even we add some one very special.

ah forget to add one target :p

Man Utd have 7 strikers and so far Macheda and  Owen played zero minutes Berbatov play 25 min with 5 games Man U played already

Berbatov is slow than Ruddy hehe so may be him is not the answer but Im sure this player will be available for transfer in January because his deal end next summer and can go for free ....

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Gamera"]I think to be honest we have too many strikers. I was unsure about it, but since were playing martin, I can''t see why we didn''t blow all of the money for vaughan and morrison on one ''super striker''. A 4-5 million pound striker may well have been more of a risk. But a calculated one. We would still have 5 strikers (Wilbraham included) but I feel we would have been far better off.[/quote]
I agree but who could we have got for £4/5 million?
[/quote]

agree Mr.Bump. Your still not going to get a guaranteed 15-20 goal premier league striker for for 4/5 million you still get a gamble at this level for that money and looking at the division and the one below who realistically is this player we could have got for that money? As for the strikers not being good enough we still just dont know what Morison, especially Vaughan or even Jackson are going to do at this level. to be fair we cant even write off Holt or Martin after only a couple of games.

To get the sort of player in the current market who would definetly make the difference we all would like to see we''d be talking £10 million plus and big wages to convince him to come to this club.

I''d have Grant Holt on the pitch in a wheelchair......He''ll come good just as before when questions were being asked about his ability in the Championship. I suspect half the problem is an inferiority complex from the manager down.... so a few goals and a win under their belts will make all the difference.

I''m with Boris on this one. Even if you could find an established top class striker for £10M, it''s not guaranteed he would want to come here. Any player who comes is going to be a gamble, since they in turn are taking a gamble on our survival - unless they''re past their prime & it''s the best deal on offer, & I don''t believe Lambert is interested in such players.Personally I''d rather have it that way. So long as the players give it their best shot I''ll be happy.Per Ardua Ad Astra !!!

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I''d have Grant Holt on the pitch in a wheelchair......

He''ll come good just as before when questions were being asked about his ability in the Championship. I suspect half the problem is an inferiority complex from the manager down.... so a few goals and a win under their belts will make all the difference.
[/quote]

[Y]

I doubted him at the beginning of last season.This season i am going to give him,and the rest of the team a good few games to settle and learn.A good bit of leeway.Doubting the strikers after four games is a bit daft.

Blackburn survived last season with their top scorers only scoring 5 goals.

That''s Roberts, Kalinic, and Hoilett. 2 strikers and a midfielder.

If 2 of Holt. Martin, Vaughan or Morison get 5, and 1 of Bennet, Hoolahan, Pilkington get 5 we could survive.

They only scored 38 goals in total so we''re going to need everyone chipping in. I do think we''re going to need to score a few more than that (we''re hardly tight at the back) but I don''t think we''re going to have to rely on a 10-15 goal striker because they''re not available for less than 10m.

Yeah I just think we should have an idea pretty soon because we will be a quarter of the way through the season. We cannot be finding our feet still then, not as a promoted team.

Think we can all agree roll on Saturday, lets get the three points and build. Yes Bolton will not want to lose after losing heavily to man u but we need this win.

I think you can judge after these four games that we are there or thereabouts for 17th place but the longer it takes without a win on the board and then that second win the further away from 17th we will be.