Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

YOUR starting 11

Forget loyalties, forget Lambert and put what you feel is our strongest team is on the day. For me its:                                  Ruddy      Naughton     Barnett     Ward    Tierney                            Fox     Johnson             Bennett     Hoolahan     Vaughan                              MorisonSubs: Rudd, De Laet, R Martin, Crofts, Pilkington, Holt, JacksonThis is not a knee-jerk reaction, I honestly feel that this is our strongest line-upfull of pace, power and skill.

Ruddy
Naughton De Laet Whitbread Tierney
Fox Johnson
Bennett Pilkington

Hoolahan

Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, Barnett, R Martin, Crofts, Morison, Holt, Jackson

[quote user="simo86"]

Ruddy
Naughton De Laet Whitbread Tierney
            Fox                Johnson
Bennett                             Pilkington

Hoolahan

Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, Barnett, R Martin, Crofts, Morison, Holt, Jackson

[/quote]

I don''t want us playing 4-5-1, we might have good enough midfielders to do so, but i think we need to be playing Holt or Morison with Vaughan up front...

Diamond is our best formation, has pretty much always worked for us. Question is, who plays in the midfield? I personally think Crofts, Bennett, Johnson and Hoolahan, maybe Fox in for Crofts, or if we wanted to be more defensive, Fox in for Bennett.

OP, any reason you''ve left our best CB out?

Ruddy

Naughton Barnett De Laet Tierney

Fox/Crofts Johnson

Bennet wes Pilkington

Morison

i feel with johnson left defensive mid, we dont need surman to cover, this gives us more attacking abbilities, just make johnson sit, let fox pick the ball up and knock it out wide, and give wes a free role

[quote user="forever city"]Ruddy Naughton Barnett De Laet Tierney Fox/Crofts Johnson Bennet wes Pilkington Morison i feel with johnson left defensive mid, we dont need surman to cover, this gives us more attacking abbilities, just make johnson sit, let fox pick the ball up and knock it out wide, and give wes a free role[/quote] i think morison has been terrible so far, i can see why millwall werent bothered about losing him, he did poorly in the one on one chance he had @ chelsea, and how he missed that header yesterday god only knows, i hope vaughan is special because good we need it

Ruddy

Russ Martin-Barnett-De Laet-Tierney

Bennet Johnson-Hoolahan-Pilky

Holt -Vaughan

No doubt all depend against who is the match.

simo86 - i''m guessing u didnt watch  the wigan game then?  morrison terrible so far?  he''s hardly played.....why do some people on here over react to everything - maybe you''ve all got too used to winning?

[quote user="delta bravo"]simo86 - i''m guessing u didnt watch  the wigan game then?  morrison terrible so far?  he''s hardly played.....why do some people on here over react to everything - maybe you''ve all got too used to winning?
[/quote] I have an away season ticket and was there thanks for asking :)

however back to the game in hand, as a goal scoring threat he has been poor, remind me how many chances did he have against wigan? yes he put in the cross for the goal, but was more of an assit from the keeper then morison!, i dont question, his commitment or work rate, or his link up play, but has a goal threat has he been clinical enough so far? i would say no sorry he had to take that on his left at chelsea, also your telling a prem striker should be missing a free header from that close?

this is the prem you take your chances or you lose, as yesterday once again proved. i am not being negative i am just saying i do not think from what i seen so far morison has been clinical enough.

of all the strikers at the club, in the short time he has played this season he has looked the most threatening / the biggest goal threat.  the header u refer to yesterday was not as easy as it looked, it came over a group of players and he actually had very little time to react to it.  i think u r wrong 2 say that he has looked terrible on the back of 1 very good performance against wigan (many would say he was our best player that day) and 2 sub appearances totalling about 45 mins - another total over reaction on here

Any 9 players with Wes is our best team. He is the only player we have at this level that can make a real impact on a game. The rest of the squad are like for like, solid players with a similar level of ability.

[quote user="delta bravo"]of all the strikers at the club, in the short time he has played this season he has looked the most threatening / the biggest goal threat.  the header u refer to yesterday was not as easy as it looked, it came over a group of players and he actually had very little time to react to it.  i think u r wrong 2 say that he has looked terrible on the back of 1 very good performance against wigan (many would say he was our best player that day) and 2 sub appearances totalling about 45 mins - another total over reaction on here

[/quote]wow little time to react are you joking me? what about the one on one agaiinst chelsea, not enough time there either? not an over reaction, an opinion, he may well come good and i hope he does, but i remember when we signed him all the millwall boards at the time werent fussed and said he needed 5 chances to convert 1, and that is what i have witnessed so far

[quote user="JF"]Any 9 players with Wes is our best team. He is the only player we have at this level that can make a real impact on a game. The rest of the squad are like for like, solid players with a similar level of ability.[/quote]

You only want us to start with 10 players?

Yellowbeagle it''s pretty much a given that Ruddy is the number 1 and we are talking about the best outfield line up.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Wizard"]Forget loyalties, forget Lambert and put what you feel is our strongest team is on the day. For me its:

Ruddy
      Naughton     Barnett     Ward    Tierney
                            Fox     Johnson
             Bennett     Hoolahan     Vaughan
                              Morison
Subs: Rudd, De Laet, R Martin, Crofts, Pilkington, Holt, Jackson

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, I honestly feel that this is our strongest line-upfull of pace, power and skill.
[/quote]

You''ve forgotten Chrissy Martin![:@]

[quote user="delta bravo"]obviously never played the game.......id rather talk 2 someone who knows what they''re talking about - next![/quote]

lol your full of crap why dont you answering a point i assume pundits dont know what there talking about as i watched the game back on sky and they made the same.point with the header damn chris coleman and ray wilkins if only there were pundits who played the game

well that makes absolutely no sense simo, but i guess you mean why am i not answering your point?  i answered it earlier - so your views are not your own but those of a couple of pundits?  maybe he should have done better, maybe it was not such an easy chance as you say it was?  either way you''re basing the fact that you think he''s terrible on 1 and a half games in total?  give the guy a chance, i''ve sat and read a lot of these posts before i''ve felt the need to get involved - but some people really do show a vast amount of ignorance when it comes to football opinions - and from what i can make out you are one of them!

Ruddy

Naughton De Laet Ayala Tierney

Johnson

Bennett Hoolahan Pilkington

Morison Vaughan

Just don''t think Holt can cut it in the Prem, nor can our other CB''s unfortunately. Way to slow and although De laet''s made a few mistakes, i think he''s our most defensive player and has made some important blocks etc

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]Was I the only one who thought we lost the impetus against West Brom when Holt went off? He has to start![/quote]Its a funny thing, during the game I was looking to the bench, thinking we needed freshening up, up front. But after Holt and Martin went off I don''t think we looked any better.

Ruddy

Naughton      De Laet     Whitbread    Tierney

Johnson

Bennett                        Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt              Vaughan   

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Wizard"]Forget loyalties, forget Lambert and put what you feel is our strongest team is on the day. For me its:                                  Ruddy      Naughton     Barnett     Ward    Tierney                            Fox     Johnson             Bennett     Hoolahan     Vaughan                              MorisonSubs: Rudd, De Laet, R Martin, Crofts, Pilkington, Holt, JacksonThis is not a knee-jerk reaction, I honestly feel that this is our strongest line-upfull of pace, power and skill.[/quote]

You''ve forgotten Chrissy Martin![:@]

Accident to be fair but IMO he is not in front of Jackson as he does not provide any goal threat whatsoever, great at build up play but never gets a shot in which was his problem last year.

[/quote]

4-5-1 doesn''t have to be a defensive formation. For me I''d set it up as 4-2-3-1, with two of Johnson, Crofts and Fox as the 2 holding midfield players.

At this level the diamond either gives us no width, or no protection in front of the back four. Playing a midfield four of Crofts, Pilkington, Bennet and Hoolahan would be suicidal in my opinion.

Whereas, if you play 4-2-3-1, you can have the width of 4-4-2 if you want - we could play Bennet and Pilks on the wings - and still have Wes in the hole. Or, against better sides, you could play Crofts, Wes, Surman as the three attacking midfielders, which should give us quite a lot of solidity. Whatever the personnel, that formation is the best open to us if you ask me. And it accommodates Wes, who, as a previous poster said, is our best player.

The obvious drawback is just having the one up front, but as long as the three attacking midfielders get forward, it doesn''t have to be a defensive line-up.

Funny old world. Something changed on Sunday. We were chasing a game and for the first time in 3 seasons Lambert did not see Holt as his man to bail him out. Maybe he had a knock not sure but if not this was a major change of Lambert thinking. My opinion for what it is worth is that we need somebody to start banging in goals and make the attacking berth their own. IMO all of our strikers seem to be of the same ability just in their different ways. I am not sure exactly what the problem is either. If we take Holt as an example he had a chance in each of the Wigan and Chelsea games ( I think from crossed freekicks ) where all he simply had to do was touch the ball into the net. In each instance he missed the ball. Against WBA the ball rebounded to him off a defender and he shot wide as he did not react quick enough to be in a good position to score. You just feel that most established premiership forwards ( ones we also cant afford ) would probably have scored from those chances. I am sure also that Holt would have scored from those chances in the championship. That makes me think that the pressure of knowing when you get a chance to score you must score is to much for the average good striker. And before I get lots of abuse I have used Holt as an example the same applies to all our forwards to date.

The one thing we have not done so far is create something out of seemingly nowhere. We need some creative flair in midfield and Hoolhan must start in my opinion. I would also not discount starting Jackson as the other thing we seemed to miss is pace. I know he''s totally unproven at this level and had a very ''off-on'' season in The Championship, but I feel he could possibly bring more pace and trickery to the attack than Vaughan and Morison (and C. Martin). I''ve only seen all the games on TV and sometimes you miss things by not being there (like off the ball movement), but despite all Tierney''s great crosses in the first half it became predictable and a lottery as to whether someone was going to get on the end of them. We definitely need a big man up front, but I think someone smaller and nippier to complement this (as per the end of last season) is worth a try. I''m not suggesting that Morison and particularly Vaughan have played poorly enough to be dropped, but just feel this would provide more options and a better balance.

I would agree with Robert that 4-2-3-1 is probably the best system to fit our players into. I think a lot of people felt we would revert to a more traditional 4-4-2 this season because we had signed to wingers and we did line up that way against Stoke. The problem with this is that firstly you have to leave out Wes and secondly it restricts the space for our full backs to attack. The other issue is that PL prefers to play Johnson and Crofts in the centre in such a formation but neither of them seems willing to play the holding role. Crofts looked capable playing in that role for Wales against England last week but he is a lot more attack minded for us.

You can alter the 4-2-3-1 to be as attacking or defensive as you like and those that claim one up front is inherently defensive are completely misguided. As an attacking formation I would probably go with -

Ruddy

Naughton Barnett De Laet   Tierney

Fox      Johnson

Bennett     C. Martin     Hoolahan

Vaughan

I know a lot of posters are quite critical of Chris Martin but his link up play is excellent and by withdrawing him into an attacking midfielder role his lack of pace is not such an issue. Plus he is a very clever player who I believe has always played his best football alongside Wes. If you want to inject more pace into the team you can move Wes into the centre of the three and bring Pilkington in for Martin.

A more defensive line up could be -

Ruddy

Naughton Barnett Whitbread Tierney

Fox      De Laet

Crofts      Hoolahan      Johnson

Vaughan

I''m taking a gamble there on the fact that De Laet can step into a holding midfielders role but he looks pretty comfortable on the ball. Crofts and Johnson are released from any worries about who should hold the midfield and although this may look like a quite extreme version of a defensive line up you still have the pace of Vaughan and the creativity of Wes up top.

No place for Surman in either team, Shack?

I''d argue that your defensive line up has at least two players (de Laet and Johnson) out of position. Keeping Tintin at the back and Johnson in front of the back four, with Surman on the left at least allows for square pegs in square holes.

De Laet in midfield makes me think of Southgate there against Germany - and he was so bad they had to knock the stadium down afterwards.