Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Is that it?

A superb effort by the board to even get Crewe to accept an offer and fingers crossed that he is a city play very very soon (my info confirms Ashton should sign over the weekend as they know most of his requirements and are happy to meet them).

However is that the full budget blown? The club still has holes in the squad that need plugging and given sven and leons injury a second striker may still be needed. A central defender (if shacks is not going to be picked) is needed and a central midfielder to partner the improving Francis is also very desirable.

I know I am being greedy despite such a fantastic show of ambition from the club with ashton but the club cant stop on its laurels now. Given the sizable possible investment in Ashton a loan signing in either of these positions would really hammer a point home to the likes of Soton and Palace.

OTBC

I reckon they''ve left enough for a loan signing. i can''t see us buying any player after Deano, not over about £500,000 anyway.

Im not sure Zipper, remember he did state that he had 6 targets.  I would be very surprised if they blew the entired budget on one player though as he is just aware of the extra players that are required in our team currently.

Two separate items though, firstly where is this money coming from?  I''m not complaing just curiours, wander if they the board pushed the boat out, it was always budgeted for or if the rumours about that will are true?

Also I think I would cry if he signed bent also lol now that would be something!

[quote]I reckon they''ve left enough for a loan signing. i can''t see us buying any player after Deano, not over about £500,000 anyway.[/quote]

Who knows for certain just how much City have got Francesco?.

Crewe turned down £2 million for Ashton remember?.

And if they have acceprted our offer, then it might be way over that.

But I''ll believe it when it happens, because I still expect him to end up elsewere I''m afraid. 

Where''s the money coming from...? Well, just because the headline fee is alot, doesn''t mean we''re giving it all to Crewe in one go. Could be instalments with more in the summer, or dependent on us staying up, or something.

I had heard several weeks ago that the actual amount we had was around £3m but they wanted this kept quiet to prevent any over inflation of prices. I am sure that the money was always there so its no surprise to see it arrive - very please to see it materialise though. Just hope that we can now hang on to Greeno and Hux for the rest of the season.Given that the transfer will be paid in stages does that mean we have some of the £3m left to strengthen further this Jan either with signings or ''just'' loanees. God there is a long way to go for this transfer window yet...OTBC

There was always more than the 1.2M to spend, there was money to buy a striker before the share thing, plus you have the malky money. Rest assured, if the club couldn''t afford it then they wouldn''t spend it.

ZLF, would you be happy to see Scott Parker here on a loan until the end of the season? Or perhaps Joe Cole?

With Chelsea trying to pick up Czech star Jarosik, Parker would get pushed down the pecking order. Also with Cole putting in his star substitute performances I would think Parker''s hopes of first team football are limited.

If Ashton does sign I think another quality midfield player is top priority. What about Thompson at Blackburn?

This is fantastic news, so why no celebrations? This message board has been full of doom mongering and concrete destroyers recently and the City Board has come in for a huge amount of stick for not showing ambition and being complacent about the drop. So instead of enjoying and looking forward some seem to now want more... I don''t understand it.

I agree tumble and have just said so on another thread.   We had a few posts of great news etc and it has now degenerated into, is it enough?  how much have we spent?  who are we going to lose?  who else can we get?  Ashton may not be the answer, type posts.   I think people have got so used to bad news that when good news comes along they don''t know how to handle it and start being more cautious.  Lets enjopy it for a while, although he hasn''t signed yet.  Doh!  now i''m doing it

Morph I had given up suggesting names as it becomes futile - however the chelseas lad you name (or Geremi) would be superb signings and would eclipse todays news should they come off.If Deano works he should relieve the defence by holding the ball up better meaning we have to score less goals to get some points - we do need chances to be made though. For me I would love to see a real partner for Damo (currently the best partner seems to be an out of position defender in Helveg who should be playing right back) but the real priority would be a partner for the doc at centre back. Get all three and we have a much better side having strengthen the spine of the side.OTBC

To be fair ''weed, Zipper has never been a doom merchant.

The majority of sensible posters just held our typing-fingers for a while, and watched the bluffs flying around. And the board-slagging that usually accompanies it.

I''ll just say this one more time - THIS ISN''T ROBERT CHASE.

THIS IS A SENSIBLE BOARD THAT WILL SPECULATE TO ACCUMULATE, BUT NOT BLOW OVER OUR BUDGET.

I just wish people could give the board a break once in a while, and give credit where credit''s due.

And maybe learn a small lesson here.

All this talk about £3m may prove well off the mark.
Dario Gradi is quoted on the Crewe website as saying that ours was the first bid they had for Ashton, so may be nearer the £1.2m mark than some people think

I have posted elsewhere that if we can get HIM here (Delia Pulls It Off - Again; some dodgy 70s film!) it is a real tribute to where the club management is taking us and it is fantastic news and one of the clubs proudest days - its not every day you break your club transfer record; Ambition with prudence personified.

However my main concern is as described in the Mythical Striker thread - too much pressure on one player alone when the team still has deficiencies elsewhere - the euphoria threatens an expectation level far in excess of anything that Ashton has actually delivered so far.

I like to think that I have enjoyed our victories but not joined in the hyperbole (europe/mid table here we come were a couple of serious posts) and likewise recognise that one defeat does not mean we are the worst team ever in the league - its the libran in me that wants to present a balanced approach and highlight that this is a seminal day for NCFC, but Ashton is not the second coming of the lord personified.

OTBC

I wasn''t having a go at you or anyone else Zipper, I just thought that things seemed a bit flat. You are 100% right about Deano, but if he comes here as looks almost certain (unless he speaks to Mark Rivers again) then its the best news we could have had. If we get more then we get more but we have what we want- lets tuck it away and enjoy the last 16 games.

At last we have a Board which seems to feel the way we do and are prepared to match prudence with some ambition!