Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Penalties!

I am not sure about Prem but I believe Wimbledon gave away five in five before, the Prem record for Pens in a season is held by Sunderland with nine...we are well ahead of schedule to beat that!

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]I am not sure about Prem but I believe Wimbledon gave away five in five before, the Prem record for Pens in a season is held by Sunderland with nine...we are well ahead of schedule to beat that!
[/quote]

[:)]

May be worth a flutter!

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]I am not sure about Prem but I believe Wimbledon gave away five in five before, the Prem record for Pens in a season is held by Sunderland with nine...we are well ahead of schedule to beat that![/quote]

[:)]

May be worth a flutter!

[/quote]If we give them away and win I would quite like to see us give away 36 over the course of the season...like Arsenal''s unbeaten year but with Pens.

As much as i do rate them, i''m beginning to worry about Barnett and De Laet. Both can (and often do) go whole games looking totally solid, and are then susceptible to making the most ridiculous decision that has us fighting against a tide.De Laet for the marking against Stoke (1), the penalty against Wigan (2), the pass against Chelsea (3), the header against West Brom (4), and Barnett against Stoke for the penalty and sending off, and today for the other penalty.The way Barnett throws his arms and legs around, especially at this level, is also in my opinion a major cause of concern.Grates with me that bar the consistent lapse of concentration, that they''re both quality players for us.

[quote user="John"]As much as i do rate them, i''m beginning to worry about Barnett and De Laet. Both can (and often do) go whole games looking totally solid, and are then susceptible to making the most ridiculous decision that has us fighting against a tide.De Laet for the marking against Stoke (1), the penalty against Wigan (2), the pass against Chelsea (3), the header against West Brom (4), and Barnett against Stoke for the penalty and sending off, and today for the other penalty.The way Barnett throws his arms and legs around, especially at this level, is also in my opinion a major cause of concern.Grates with me that bar the consistent lapse of concentration, that they''re both quality players for us.[/quote]You lose all credibility by bringing that up. Outside of the box and coming together of players.

[quote user="Cookieace"]Forget the moaner part I put, read it the wrong way first time lol. My apologies.[/quote]

I have had a minor dig at Holt on another post!

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="John"]As much as i do rate them, i''m beginning to worry about Barnett and De Laet. Both can (and often do) go whole games looking totally solid, and are then susceptible to making the most ridiculous decision that has us fighting against a tide.De Laet for the marking against Stoke (1), the penalty against Wigan (2), the pass against Chelsea (3), the header against West Brom (4), and Barnett against Stoke for the penalty and sending off, and today for the other penalty.The way Barnett throws his arms and legs around, especially at this level, is also in my opinion a major cause of concern.Grates with me that bar the consistent lapse of concentration, that they''re both quality players for us.[/quote]You lose all credibility by bringing that up. Outside of the box and coming together of players. [/quote]Oh please, if you can''t understand the point i''m trying to get at there really is no hope for you.By the same token De Laet didn''t deserve to concede a penalty against Wigan. My issue is the provision of excuse for onlooking officals. Barnett should not have been found out inside (thanks to a lapse of concentration), and whilst the challenge was barely a foul, his high raising of the leg showed a lack of nous in a compromising position.

[quote user="Gene Tierney"]Barnett gives the impression that in some positions he panics.[/quote]Exactly. Composure is a high commodity in the Premier League, and i''d suggest it''s his only notable weakness at the moment.As a result i''m not so sure we can afford to play him regularly, and the same applies to De Laet to some extent. However it''s a shame we don''t have that luxury of choice in this department, in light of all the injuries.

Anyone moaning, that we are moaning about the penalties, we have a right to moan about them. I''m sure Lambert is not happy about giving away 5 in 5 as well, despite the win.

Ok, 2 were definatly not penalties, 1 was very dubious, some refs wouldn''t have given that, 1 was possibly arguable, although more arguments against Ruddy being sent of for that one, than the actual penalty being given, and 1 was definatly a penalty. But despite 4 possibly/definatly not being penalties, were putting the opposition in a position to win the penalty, and the referee a chance to give one. Its essentially 5 huge lapses in concentration or defensive naivety that needs to be sorted out ASAP.

Yes we won, but we won giving away another penalty, which just hints that we are going to keep on doing this, and it will cost us more points this season. A 2-0 win would have been so much better, a clean sheet, no penalty and a great win. But today that great win, was just slightly ruined by giving away another penalty, and giving Bolton a huge chance to get back into a game that should have been an easy win for us. (2-0 up at half time, against a very shakey Bolton defence, with Bolton a man down, should point to at least a 2-0, if not 3/4-0 win really....) I''m absolutely ecstatic we managed to get a win, and away from home, its vital, but there is just that one little thing that takes away the shine...

I think todays penalty was a fair decision - its many of the others that have been dubious. It is frustrating to conceed so many and doesnt fairly reflect the way our team play. However today was a fantastic win only made quite nerve wracking at the end when it should have been an easy ride after the 2nd goal. Still 3 points is 3 points. Lets hope we are at the end of our penalty voodoo!

Invariably a sending off can have the opposite effect and lifts the 10 men. Bolton did play a different type of game after the break and definitely looked more dangerous. I was not really surprised that Barnett gave away a penalty as he was pushing and pulling Bolton players quite a lot before that especially at set pieces. However when he did concede the penalty it was an unnecessary lunge and imo he should have held back (easy to say I suppose, but that''s his trade and he''s at the top of it ).

Let''s analyse the 5 penalties...

1 v Wigan. De Laet loses the ball, tracks Di Santo back and they stumble under pressure in the box. Contact was minimal but had it been outside the box, it would have been a foul, so it was a pen.

2 v Stoke. Again minimal contact, Barnett got wrong side of Walters and under minimal contact he went down. Outside the box so it shouldn''t have been a penalty, but it had to be a red as Barnett was last man.

3 v Chelsea. Ruddy clips Ramires heels. Ramires was on his way down and looking for it, but Ruddy did make contact and it was a pen. Red card was dubious, however I think ot was correct.

4 v West Brom. Pressure from behind by Morison, Steven Reid falls over. Very very minimal contact and the ref bought it. For me, not a penalty. However it is something Holt does so we shouldn''t be blaming Reid for that one.

5 v Bolton. Barnett caught the player and not the ball, probably the clearest of the lot.

So out of 5 pens, one was a definite NO, one was highly debatable, two were soft but silly defending prior cost us, and one was soft but definite.

In all cases, our defending was naive. These strikers are going down like conkers and were still be drawn into the challenges. Yes we have to make the challenges when necessary, but be smart about it!

[quote user="John"]As much as i do rate them, i''m beginning to worry about Barnett and De Laet. Both can (and often do) go whole games looking totally solid, and are then susceptible to making the most ridiculous decision that has us fighting against a tide.

De Laet for the marking against Stoke (1), the penalty against Wigan (2), the pass against Chelsea (3), the header against West Brom (4), and Barnett against Stoke for the penalty and sending off, and today for the other penalty.

The way Barnett throws his arms and legs around, especially at this level, is also in my opinion a major cause of concern.

Grates with me that bar the consistent lapse of concentration, that they''re both quality players for us.
[/quote]

The penalty challenge only happened because Russell Martin failed to put the ball into row Z like he should have done. Barnett was on the back foot because he expected Martin to deal with it, and Ngog therefore got to the ball first. We can''t just look at the individuals who make the challenges in these situations, you have to look back at how the play develops. Like at Chelsea, the pen wasn''t Ruddy''s fault - it stemmed from Crofts giving the ball away outside their box.

Likewise De Laet''s mistake against West Brom happened because Naughton gave the ball away to Shorey on the right wing when in a good position to create.

Yes, we have to be cuter about making challenges in the box but more importantly we have to stop giving the ball away.

Delighted to see Tierney go down like he was shot though - if the Premier League refs only give stuff when we react like that, then we have to play the same game.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Wizard"]Wimbledon gave away 4 in a row. We have a new record[/quote]No we don''t, Wimbledon gave away five in a row.

I think its the record for games from the start of the season and equals wimbledons run. One more and we break the prem consecutive record all on our own...