Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Grant Holt!

Good player, but gees he annoys me!

Why oh why did he chip the keeper when the whistle had gone for offside to get a yellow card?! He does this 5 times over a season and that is worth a 1 match ban which can easily be avoided!

Great result and very timely too! Swansea and QPR also both earning 3 points!!

i thought his display was very good, frustrating Bolton and wasting time.  yes the yellow was unnecessary but can''t deny he was needed to see the game through

lambert got it all right today. That included dropping holt. Well done lads can we beat the mackems .... yes we can

Apart from the falling over getting a bit tiresome, I wonder what Vaughn thinks of GH''s performance? (...if his demonstrative stamping and throwing arms about are anything to go by) ...I like Grant Holt btw, just wish he''d cut out throwing himself to the floor all the time....its not fooling anyone as his reputation is preceding him

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Oh get off his back, we''ve just won away ffs[/quote]To be fair, he got booked for no good reason and that is unprofessional and stupid.  Just because we won, it doesn''t mean you forgive players acting unprofessionally - does it?

Not comunicate good with his teammates if need to pass the ball more long than 5-10 yards vaughans ask him so many times the ball and he preffer to jump on the floor like ...

I know he is a legend but for me he is 3rd choise striker at this moment!

vaughan fast and furiuse moro also offer more now!

By chipping the ball into the net he wastes time and also shows that he can hit the target with ease.One day a ref will book him, next day they won''t .Its all part of his game :)

I was surprised he was booked to be honest, I think the ref wasted more time booking him, than Holt wasted by kicking the ball into the net...

Its part of his game though, maybe a needless yellow, but it winds up Bolton, keeps the ball out of play for a bit longer, and that stoppage may have been as much as 30 seconds or more, and that whole 30 seconds wouldn''t have been included in the stoppage time, because it never is...

I thought Holt was good when he came on BUT there was one or 2 times when I felt he did fall on the floor when it would have been more of an advantage to pass the ball. But still I am not complaining. 3 excellent points. I think Lambert has got it right - he needs to switch the team around to a) keep the players on their toes and b) keep the oposition guessing. Lets face it are Sunderland going to be assured of the team they will be facing?

Banana was hardly getting on Holts back, at the end of the day he knew the whistle was gone and shouldn''t have done what he did.  On the other hand he was probably running on adrenaline and just wanted to see the ball in the back of the net, it also delayed the game by a few more seconds as well as giving our team a chance to restructure, Holts a class player, and even if hes having to take more of a back seat role than he did last season he''s one hell of a player for us to bring on from the bench to chase the game.

We all love Grant Holt, we sing it nearly every match.

Yes he also has a reputation, and yes he may not have much pace, BUT...... he has one of the best footballing brains around. He knows what to do and when, and indefinately winds the defenders up.

Today,  2-0 up and with Bolton down to 10 men we should have gone on to win easily. But we didn''t, we struggled in the second half and Bolton looked most likely to score. We were pushed back.

It wasn''t until Grant and Vaughan came on that we strting playing in the last thrird again. He held the ball up well, ran into the corners, did a brilliant reverse pass with two defenders right on his heels when stuck in the corner, to send a colleague en route to goal.

I know he didnt play a full game, but City picked up no end when he took the field.

I''m off to bookies next week asking for odds of City conceding penalties in the next 3 matches !

Holt has a record for proving the doubters wrong... and he''ll do it once again.Every successful team has it''s rock.... and Grant Holt is ours.

Its simple to see what Grant brings, look how we defended without him. Deep inviting pressure, even against 10 men.

Look how we defended with him, right from the front, keeping the ball in their half for longer and causing mistakes.

Regardless of how his football form is, he should be the first player on the team sheet for me, the work rate he gives, the pressure he applies and the fact that he is a really intelligent player.

There are things that Grant Holt does that fans love (bundling John Terry over and the yellow card today for instance) that would have me tearing my hair out if I was the manager. It will be tough enough for Holt to make his mark in the top flight without him wasting vital energy on such nonsense. Paul Lambert dropped his captain today which probably tells you all you need to know.

Thought Holt was great when he came on. PL is still trying different things and keeping people on their mettle. We need all our strikers, they give us different options which you need at this level.

It says it all when Owen Coyle is aggrieved at Holt winning a soft free kick which they ''couldn''t get all day'' That was brilliant of Holt. He is absolutely vital for us and lifted the whole team with his efforts when he came on.

Besides the emotional lift his presence on the field obviously gave to the rest of the team, Holt is like a very agile bull in a china shopm holding the ball up in the opponent''s end of the field. He did it today aganst 10 man Bolton, but he has also done it against every other team we''ve played this season.

You gotta love the Norwich players who don''t show any symptoms of intimidation and in fact try to intimidate the other team when the other team is Chelsea or any of the other big clubs Holt won''t back down from.

But the point remains that his getting booked for kicking the ball away when a free kick has already been given was stupid and unnecessary, which is what ''Nana was saying originally.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]But the point remains that his getting booked for kicking the ball away when a free kick has already been given was stupid and unnecessary, which is what ''Nana was saying originally.[/quote]Yeh but chops that was a gamble wasn''t it ? On another day that yellow would not have been shown. Refs discretion. Howard Webb was out to make a fair game of football. So in someways it was quite obvious that we were going to have a " buy the book" ref display.Although that said it did feel that he was on our side. Made a nice change, feel bad for Bolton but it was not like it was 90 / 10 like it has been the last few weeks.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]But the point remains that his getting booked for kicking the ball away when a free kick has already been given was stupid and unnecessary, which is what ''Nana was saying originally.[/quote]Yeh but chops that was a gamble wasn''t it ? On another day that yellow would not have been shown. Refs discretion. Howard Webb was out to make a fair game of football. So in someways it was quite obvious that we were going to have a " buy the book" ref display.Although that said it did feel that he was on our side. Made a nice change, feel bad for Bolton but it was not like it was 90 / 10 like it has been the last few weeks.[/quote]But why take the gamble - what was there to gain?

and if webb was there for a fair game and would play by t he book why did holt chose to ignore the rules and chose a yellow card? That is not a gamble - thats stupidity

Run down the clock. Wind up the players. What if no card had been shown and Jussi Jaskalinen had decided to spend a good 30 seconds ranting at the ref / lino again ? Job done, thats 30 seconds off the clock.But as we saw, backfire and you only lose 10 and get a yellow card. You can bet that Lambert told Holt to go out an be a pain in the arse !

Think PL has now found the right role for Grant Holt. We found ourselves two up away from home because our extra pace upfront caused no end of problems to the Bolton defence.

And Holt''s supersub performance of intelligently holding up the ball was just what was needed in the circumstances and we came away with all three points.

I still think that although he has a role to play this season, he''s not going to be automatic choice for striker in the way he has been over the past couple of years

It would have been quite nice for Holt NOT to have been booked; we''d have won the game with NO cards issued then. A major achievement of fair play!

To me, the daftest bookings occur when a player scores and runs off swirling his shirt above his head like Leroy Lita did yesterday. That really is a pointless yellow card with potential detriment to the team.