Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

The centreback issue...

[quote user="delta bravo"]r u completely stupid? it was NOT a huge error, it was an error players make all over the pitch, the striker got there 1st....end of, not a massive error, just a misjudgement.  Thank God you don''t pick the team, Tierney has been brilliant at left back this season ,but thats cos he is a left back, hes not a centre half and would never ever be played there.....ridiculous!  i think leon barnett was actually very good today, on a different thread someone rated him 5.5 - knob!!!!  couldnt have seen the game in my opinion[/quote]Well aren''t you just a ray of sunshine? Also, you say Tierney has been brilliant at left back cos he is a left back, not a centre half and would never be played there. So how do you explain Russell Martin playing at CB? He''s a right back, not a centre half... He should never be played there. Yet he was very good yesterday.And just for the record it is actually a well known fact that while Tierney is predominantly a left back, he has played at centre back quite a lot in his career and is apparently just as happy there. This was talked about in great detail when we signed him what a versatile player he is.I''m not saying he should be moved to centre back, just that you should do a little research (or perhaps even know stuff about the players you''re talking about) before you start calling people "completely stupid" and "knobs!"To use your own words... Ridiculous!

Barnetts "tackle" on klasnic was at best clumsy (yellow card) and at its worst intentional, simply an assault (red card).

Klasnic had won the ball and moved it on before barnett even jumped, and when he did turned his back so his hip/backside went through Klasnic, I cant see how that is trying to win the ball? Fortunately the ref saw the incident and decided it was not worthy of a booking - and the tv tribunal tends not to do anything about them, unlike the tamas one where the ref did not see what had happened and in doing so gifted swansea 3 pts yest

I too was at the game and saw Klasnich''s foot up at eye level. What would you do in that circumsatnce if you were running towards him to head the ball? You would turn your back to protect your face. That''s all Barnett did which is why the referee didn''t book him. Ok it looked clumsy, but Barnett was moving at speed to get to the ball.It was Klasnich''s own fault for having his boot dangerously high. The pundits on MOTD didn''t help with therir so called ''analysis'' either. At least the referee had some sense!!

Inspired team choice too! Great game.

That was how I read it too.

Klasnic had his foot very high and Barnett put his hands up and turned his back away. It looked clumsy but nothing malicious.

[quote user="smiley"]We got our 1st 3 points of the season, so why change anyting for next Monday? Its time to start to build great things with these 11 players, if after the next game things don''t work out tweak them slightly for Man U, or should we go into that game with a settled 11? You can''t go dropping players left right and center for making 1 or 2 mistakes! They know they made mistakes give them a 2nd chance to improve if they struggle then drop them to the bench. Dropping players will only harm their confidence. [/quote]

I agree with you smiley. I hope we start to develop some consistant selections now, Lambert will obviously do it his own way and there are obviously good arguments for squad rotation but I cant believe we will continue this level of change from game to game. He has had a look at pretty much all the squad now, and must surely have an idea of his best team. The great thing is whoewer he seems to pick always gives a response, Carling Cup excluded, but there has to be an added benefit to be gained from players developing partnerships and an understading of how each other play the game.

Do we have a ''best'' team? I think we have to change depending on who we playing. Looking though the squad I couldn''t pick a best team for all occasions.

Apart from Ruddy and Tierney I don''t think anyone goes automatically on to the team sheet

Starting players? Rudd, Tierney, Naughton, Johnson, Fox & wes. Bennett probably for the next two games

I think Martin has done ok, dont know how well he would do against stronger opposition though. How long is Whitbread out for? I honestly think he is our best centre back, just a shame he is so injury prone

Whitbread definitely seems the most tidy on the ball, but whether his lack of pace will ultimately mean he can''t quite cut the prem...time will tell!

Sol Bamba from Leicester seems good if we need someone else in january.

I kinda of agree, I feel we have defenders who are not the complete package, however saying that R. Martin has pace and a bit of bulk to wrestle with a forward. Ward and Whitbread seem to be lacking a bit of pace, can certainly do a job but that will be there weakness. Barnett however has been turned ridiculously by walters for the pen for stoke and subsequent red card when he was on goal side. He has the pace but so far looks a little unsteady.

I would like to see de laet and R. Martin with the speed that is needed, but I think it is appropriate for barnett and R. Martin to start against a Sunderland attack. One thing I did see from the tv was, Martin was a real leader shouting instructions on the field, was that the case? We desperately need that leader/ experienced head there giving out instructions.

I don''t think that line up was particularly as threatening as it could have been, we scored from two set pieces, but our open play didn''t really give us many goal scoring opportunites. I am not so sure that htis is a formatino that will win us many games, Morison was very isolated and I think we need two forwards.

Monday cannot come quick enough, this is a game that a win could really set our stall. Get a home win against a good premiership team, Bolton will be better later this year expecially at home (sure they will do us some favours). A win against Sunderland on national cameras and then a performance against man u getting us ready for a massive game against swansea, which is a must win.

We can get 6 points here, 4 would be very good. But the sooner points are on the board the better, so Monday is a very winnable game.

[quote user="smooth"]

I kinda of agree, I feel we have defenders who are not the complete package, however saying that R. Martin has pace and a bit of bulk to wrestle with a forward. Ward and Whitbread seem to be lacking a bit of pace, can certainly do a job but that will be there weakness. Barnett however has been turned ridiculously by walters for the pen for stoke and subsequent red card when he was on goal side. He has the pace but so far looks a little unsteady.

I would like to see de laet and R. Martin with the speed that is needed, but I think it is appropriate for barnett and R. Martin to start against a Sunderland attack. One thing I did see from the tv was, Martin was a real leader shouting instructions on the field, was that the case? We desperately need that leader/ experienced head there giving out instructions.

I don''t think that line up was particularly as threatening as it could have been, we scored from two set pieces, but our open play didn''t really give us many goal scoring opportunites. I am not so sure that htis is a formatino that will win us many games, Morison was very isolated and I think we need two forwards.

Monday cannot come quick enough, this is a game that a win could really set our stall. Get a home win against a good premiership team, Bolton will be better later this year expecially at home (sure they will do us some favours). A win against Sunderland on national cameras and then a performance against man u getting us ready for a massive game against swansea, which is a must win.

We can get 6 points here, 4 would be very good. But the sooner points are on the board the better, so Monday is a very winnable game.

[/quote]Good post Smooth, I would replace Barnett with De laet and stick two up front Vaughan and Morison! Barnett is too reckless imo, De laet has made mistakes, but I still rate him.

Most of the penalties and goals conceded have been by the central defenders.

What is clear is that we have doubts about all of them.

Barnett is quick, but rash and lacking in concentration.

Whitbread is not the quickest, but reads a game well and gets into position. When fit he is as good as we have

De Laet is quick and reads the game until his concentration lets him down.

Ward is experienced, but is slow, and tends to back away.

Ayala we have seen so little of, and perhaps shouldn''t be judged yet.

It''s horses for courses. When we are playing teams like Bolton, with Kevin Davies about as quick as Grant Holt, pace is not so important, and experience may be more important than pace. Martin played well, but he struggled against Moses earlier. When we play against quick strikers, then it must be a Barnett/De Laet pairing, so long as both have done something about their mental approach. Otherwise Whitbread must replace one of them.

" Most of the penalties and goals conceded have been by the central defenders "

Even more worrying all the goals conceded have gone past the keeper.

So, if we play three at the back against Sunderland we have less chance of a defender conceding a penalty. Simples !!!

R. Martin played really well against Bolton and looked comfortable in that position, they had tried him there for the reserves against Everton Reserves, he started his career at Wycombe Wanderers and during the 2005–06 season he made appearances at left-back, right-back, centre-half and in midfield, as well as winning the goal of the season award, so we could see him play in a few more positions. [;)]

I looked at the title of this thread and saw that it was "The centreback issue". Could someone please explain to me what a thread about Arsenal is doing on the Norwich City message board?