Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

The centreback issue...

So De Laet got dropped which I think was fair considering the silly errors he''s made. R.Martin came in and had a good game, though to be honest for all their pressure Bolton didn''t really ask too many questions of the CB.

Saying that Martin did enough to deserve to keep his place. He did everything he needed to and offers some pace at CB which can be vital in this league.

Barnett on the other hand gave away a silly penalty, no arguments over this one. And also could have got himself booked fairly early in the 1st half for taking a running jump at a Bolton player. For me he had a fairly poor game and not for the first time this season.

Presuming Whitbread et al are still injured for the next game who partner''s Martin? Give De Laet another go? That means we''ll be playing 2 full backs at CB, is that wise? Stick with Barnett who hasn''t exactly inspired confidence so far?

I''m not sure to be honest, maybe try De Laet at LB and stick Tierney at CB, he seems a bit more sensible than De Laet...

Nah,i''d keep Tierney where he is.He''s been playing well out there.Tricky one though.De Laet and Barnett have lapses.Probably give De Laet another go.

(How long is Ward going to be out??)

Tierney should not be dropped, I don''t think it would be too ridiculous to say Tierney has been our most consistent player so far this season...

De Laet isn''t really a full back, he''s a defender. Look at Man.U playing Phil Jones and Smalling at RB, it seems to be what Man.U do with defenders, make them competent in two or three positions across the back. De Laet is just as much as CB as he is a RB/LB....

Herman, its Whitbread we want back, not Ward really isn''t it? Ward could be good enough, but until he plays i''m not overly optimistic about how well he will play in the premiership.

I personally would go for Martin/De Laet at CB next game, not fair to drop Martin who did everything right that i remember, and keep Barnett in, who was a bit clumsy and just doesn''t seem know what he''s doing sometimes, certainly not a confidence inspiring player is he...

Good teams not changed his CB evry game!

Barnet have bad game but he look bit nervouse play first time with russ martin on pair ...

I belive we can put same 11 next Monday this boys deserved the credit!

POssibley Moro to be replaced with Vaughan max

Think GP gives a pretty accurate run down in all honesty.As stated Tierney has been solid and poss the most reliabe of our defence. Naughton as well has not done a lot wrong and looks quite good.The Norfolk Cafu worked his pants off today and deserves to keep a place in the XI.De Laet and now Barnett need a few reserve and bench warming games so they can let these clangers get swept away.We really need Whitbread back and the Spainish lad ( forgotten his name but then seems most have forgotten he''s even on our books )Ward was a bit marmite last year and don''t think he will really be up for it in the prem.Re: Manure and Rightback defenders.Arse also like to develop young strikers as wingers and then move them into the centre as they mature, so a lot can be said for this method of development.

Ginge,yes i''d prefer Whitbread,but i would also like to see Ward back.I think he''d cope with the Prem.

Deffo keep Tierney where he is - he has been superb.

Russell Martin and his pants definately deserve a run out against Sunderland. He always works his pants off.... haha

As for picking between Barnett and De Laet I am not sure who I would pick. Possibly the latter because although he has cost us some goals he has also made some excellent blocks etc. I dunno a tough one to call. However I would like to see Whitbread bk soon. I feel a bit sorry for Ayala after such a poor start against dare I say it... MKDons.

I would go with the same back four as today.  Russel Martin is an excellent player and I''m more than happy with him playing any where in defence.  Barnett doesn''t fill me with quite as much confidence but I think I would give him the nod over De Laet.  The centre backs certainly haven''t impressed one bit yet this season so it is definitely something which needs addressing.

r u serious mahogany?  stick tierney at centre half?? this sort of post makes me wonder just how much norwich fans actually know about the game!  leon barnett is not the best footballer u will ever see, but as a no nonsense centre half we could do a lot worse, he hardly put a foot wrong today, 1 slip up 4 the pen but it was one of those challenges that centre halves make, in the heat of the game his 1st instinct is to try and win the ball, in hindsight he should have just ushered ngog away from goal, but it wasn''t a terrible error just a misjudgement in the heat of a fast paced prem game, so no shame in that.  people should stop sayin that we should change players as soon as they make a mistake.  this is a difficult league and players will make mistakes.  i for one feel sorry for de laet, his overall performance has been 1st class in every game, he''s just making mistakes, don''t destroy him, hes still young enough to turn himself into a very competent prem centre half

We got our 1st 3 points of the season, so why change anyting for next Monday? Its time to start to build great things with these 11 players, if after the next game things don''t work out tweak them slightly for Man U, or should we go into that game with a settled 11? You can''t go dropping players left right and center for making 1 or 2 mistakes! They know they made mistakes give them a 2nd chance to improve if they struggle then drop them to the bench. Dropping players will only harm their confidence.

The problem is Barnett made a huge error going in like that for the penalty, and its far from the first mistake he''s made this season. Today he should have been booked early in the game for a stupid challenge. His passing and first touch are also pretty terrible. At Stoke while the red card and penalty were wrong he failed to clear the ball which put him in that situation in the first place.

The reason I say to try Tierney at CB is that he, along with Martin seem to be the most sensible defenders we have. I doubt we''d see him trying silly tricks like De Laet or tripping over himself like Barnett. I know he''s been great at LB but we haven''t seen what De Laet would offer there, and it is his preferred position.

r u completely stupid? it was NOT a huge error, it was an error players make all over the pitch, the striker got there 1st....end of, not a massive error, just a misjudgement.  Thank God you don''t pick the team, Tierney has been brilliant at left back this season ,but thats cos he is a left back, hes not a centre half and would never ever be played there.....ridiculous!  i think leon barnett was actually very good today, on a different thread someone rated him 5.5 - knob!!!!  couldnt have seen the game in my opinion

CB issue still not resolved for me - Martin nullified Davies and was a good choice ahead of de laet - a lambert master stroke, but he struggled against in the second half. By then the game was won

Barnett & Martin both caused the pen, so just like de laet it cost us a goal - but the foul wsa

I still think de laet is a corner stone to build around; but I dont have a clue who his best partner is, it could be any of them

People calling for Barnett to be dropped need their heads checking...he has been fantastic this season and wins nearly everything in the air!

I don''t mind if Russia Martin or De Laet plays alongside him. I think De Laet was dropped to give him a kick up the backside, because he too has been brilliant, other than his 3 silly errors. I wouldn''t mind, or be surprised, if he was restored to the back alongside Barnett.

Tierney to CB? Have a word!

I don''t understand how some people think pulling one of our best players out of their natural position and putting him in a position he has never played before, will solve our defensive problems.

We would have two SBs playing CB and one CB/RB playing LB. It would be like playing Hoolahan at DM when Crofts has a bad game, and playing Fox at AM. All logic has gone out of the window.....

I was worried when I heard Martin was to play CB but it worked and apart from not booting the ball into the stand just before we gave away the penalty he was spotless and it worked!

He deserves to keep his place and Lambert deserves praise for addressing last weekends problems by changing the team!

Lamberts changearound with the line up sent out a message that noones place is assured, evens Holts!

Martin was as much at fault for the penalty as was Barnett. He should of never let the ball be played to N''Gog, it was dreadful defending. Apart from that, I thought both Barnett & Martin were class today.

I thought Martin had a very good game today.And to clear a point up, It has been said before that he can play at centre back happily, so he wasn''t really played out of position.

Martin also lost ngog for the late ruddy save - forgot he went to push as he took his header so risked another penalty.

Both showed fraitlties today but we do need a pairing who will play most games

de laet was dropped for costing us goals, barnett now has a red, what should have been a red and two penalties conceeded against him...

Perhaps it should be martin and de laet then??

I think the pairing is probably Whitbread and Ward or Ayala. Unfortunately it doesn''t look like we''ll be seeing it any time soon. I''d rather see De Laet playing than Barnett next game.

Problem is hardly anyone posting on this subject watches norwich often. They watch the highlights and feel they have a worthwhile opinion. Best CB are whitbread and de laet and barnett are about the same i think de laet slightly better just has been silly/unfortunate so far this season. tierney only solid performer.

Not sure what I would have said if I had seen the team at the start of the game, but in hindsight it was an absolutely brilliant decision by Lambert to drop de Laet. He is a class player, but he has made goal-costing mistakes in three of our four games, at least two of them by trying to be too casual.

I was really impressed by a post the other day that suggested that he was playing to try and impress Sir Alex, that rather than booting the ball into touch when required he would try to look too good.

Sending him the message that he''s got to cut that nonsense out was outstanding, especially since Lambert put a RB in his place.

I also wonder if de Laet''s response to West Brom''s goal was a factor. I thought it was pretty unimpressive that he so publicly blamed Rudd for that goal. Lambert is so big on the team ethos that I can imagine him being pretty annoyed by that.

Anyway, my money is on de Laet being recalled for Sunderland. I love Russell Martin as much as the next man, and I know he is happy playing centre-half, but let''s be honest, you wouldn''t want him there all season.

Barnett can be clumsy, but he''s got a lot of pace, which is crucial as we know. I''d be very surprised if it wasn''t him and de Laet back together for Sunderland.

Better Wizard"]Problem is hardly anyone posting on this subject watches norwich often. They watch the highlights and feel they have a worthwhile opinion. Best CB are whitbread and de laet and barnett are about the same i think de laet slightly better just has been silly/unfortunate so far this season. tierney only solid performer

Is that right?!!!

I watch the games and while I rate Whitbread, his injury problem is always going to be a major handicap as well as being very one footed and not that quick!

Lambert made a brilliant call to drop De Laet at Bolton. looks good and has been good except for the mistakes which have cost us!

Your right about one thing, Tierney is the only solid performer!

I think the longterm goal has got to be getting a superb centre back pairing. Did wonders for Birmingham last year (Dann and Johnson) and we could do with something similar.

Now, against ManU deLaet will be inelligible so I would say stick with Martin and Barnett for the next two games. ManU will be a big test and we''ll be able to see how they cope before the arguably more important game at home to Swansea.

[quote user="Mahogany"]The problem is Barnett made a huge error going in like that for the penalty, and its far from the first mistake he''s made this season. Today he should have been booked early in the game for a stupid challenge. His passing and first touch are also pretty terrible. At Stoke while the red card and penalty were wrong he failed to clear the ball which put him in that situation in the first place. The reason I say to try Tierney at CB is that he, along with Martin seem to be the most sensible defenders we have. I doubt we''d see him trying silly tricks like De Laet or tripping over himself like Barnett. I know he''s been great at LB but we haven''t seen what De Laet would offer there, and it is his preferred position.[/quote]

Am I the only one who felt that the challenge was caused by Klasnic. As has been said, Barnett wins everything in the air. I felt he was going to head that ball until he saw a boot coming at him and turned at the last minute to prevent himself getting a face full of studs. Or have I read it wrong?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[quote user="Mahogany"]The problem is Barnett made a huge error going in like that for the penalty, and its far from the first mistake he''s made this season. Today he should have been booked early in the game for a stupid challenge. His passing and first touch are also pretty terrible. At Stoke while the red card and penalty were wrong he failed to clear the ball which put him in that situation in the first place. The reason I say to try Tierney at CB is that he, along with Martin seem to be the most sensible defenders we have. I doubt we''d see him trying silly tricks like De Laet or tripping over himself like Barnett. I know he''s been great at LB but we haven''t seen what De Laet would offer there, and it is his preferred position.[/quote]

Am I the only one who felt that the challenge was caused by Klasnic. As has been said, Barnett wins everything in the air. I felt he was going to head that ball until he saw a boot coming at him and turned at the last minute to prevent himself getting a face full of studs. Or have I read it wrong?

[/quote]

Klasnic did go in with high boot, but Barnett was never going to win that ball and could have seriously injured Klasnic considering he basically jumped full speed into his face.

As for winning everything in he air, yes that is one of this strengths but the OPTA stats have him making 3/4 successful headed clearances while Martin made 8/10.

While Klasnic has no business trying to kick a ball at eye level, I thought Barnett was late and a bit reckless, lucky not to be booked.  Fair play to Klasnic, he took it pretty well considering Barnett''s a bit of a beast.  And had he been subbed off, we may have played against 11 for the full match.