Sign in to follow this  
BW

What would you views be if a gypsy played for us

Don''t care particularly, it''s a strange question in many ways as it assumes gypsies are all of a type and you wouldn''t ask "what would your views be if a neanderthal played for us?" (Though personally  I never rated Carl Bradshaw.)

I don''t mind who plays for us. Ethnicity, religion, lifestyle - none of it matters as long as they have ability and a decent attitude.

Oooh, now what would we say if we let one of them ''Gays'' play for us? (What, we already did.... never...) Stupid question.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Just interested always seems to be a bit of a taboo[/quote]

And what are your views?

I personally couldn''t care less what colour, creed or faith they are as long as they play as they are paid to do.  What a strange question, not stirring it are you?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Just interested always seems to be a bit of a taboo[/quote]

And what are your views?

I personally couldn''t care less what colour, creed or faith they are as long as they play as they are paid to do.  What a strange question, not stirring it are you?

[/quote]

Totally agree mate, what an odd question.

As long as they''re good enough, who cares? [:|]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

As long as they''re good enough, who cares? [:|]

[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/what-he-said.png[/IMG]

I would certainly expect to see lucky heather and hand-crafted wooden clothes pegs to be on sale in the lounges/concourses. Hopefully hedghog and rabbit pies with frothy draught Harp lager and chilled Guinness to wash them down with, (all made available in the stand refreshment areas) ..... There should be a selection of adverts for scrap collection, tree cutting/garden landscaping, garage drive repair and tarmac laying and resurfacing - and maybe on occasion, details of forthcoming horse fairs to be included in the home matchday program.

Plus for a small fee, a private hand-reading by Gypsy Rose Delia.....

''A gypsy rover

fame over the hill

went down to Colney

please ''play me''

he whistled and he sang

''til the changing rooms rang

and he won a start over De Laeteeeee!

Oh! Arrdee do, Arrdee do dah day....................''

If a gypsy played for us I wouldn''t go to the game to see him. ( Nothing new there ). Also, I would probably again take up peeking through the window....behind the curtains of course. I certainly wouldn''t answer to any knocking on the door. Do I have to teach you youngsters everything?

Christ no!!

Whatever next. Blacks, gays, Asians, people from Manchester, people from Ipswich (i just through up in my mouth a bit there).

The only people who should play for Norwich should have been born no less that 10 miles from Carrow Road, never left the county (not even on holiday), must say Bishee Bishee Barnaby instead of ladybird (gay) and eat Columns mustard on everything (even cereal).

*sigh*

What a stupid thread, I bet you don''t even really understand what a Gypsy is. Genuine gypsies fall into one of several ethnic groups, the largest of which is the Romani who speak the Romani language, there are said to be over 10 million Romani people in Europe. The Romani gypsies go back about 1750 years and are supressed and persecuted in many countries. What British people often see in terms of ''gypsies'' are in fact Irish Travellers, who have pretty much no history and can pretty much be considered nomadic Irish people. Their history goes back about as far as the potato famine, they were effectively just groups of homeless people who took up the nomadic lifestyle because they didn''t have homes or food. The travellers at Dale Farm are mostly Irish Travellers, a group who are pretty much specific to the UK and Ireland and simply aren''t even really gypsies. They are the descendants of people who never got told that the potato famine finished.I actually met a lady whose father once lived at Dale Farm when it started in the 1970''s, it was an interesting conversation. At that time the only part of the site in existance was and still is fully legal, she said that most of the original Dale Farm residents moved out into HOUSES in towns and cities everywhere, because they accepted that their lifestyle wasn''t necessary anymore and that there was plenty of opportunity for them to integrate. She still knew a few families who live on the legal part, who complained that most of the families on the illegal part had no family history of the nomadic lifestyle and had chosen to live that way of life - not born into it. The original residents of Dale Farm, who had proud traditions, left long ago because of the influx of undesirable people. That wouldn''t happen in the Romani communities, they have their way of life and fierce traditions. Asking whether I would want a Romani gypsy to play for Norwich, I would say of course I would, if they were good enough. There are more than half a million of them in Spain, more than half a million of them in Romania, more than half a million of them in Turkey, more than half a million of them in France. It''s a bit like asking whether we would be happy for a Welsh player to play for Norwich?!?! It is often said that Freddy Eastwood is a ''Romani'', yet he lived on Dale Farm, an Irish travellers site. This means that he is not a Romani, he is in fact an Irish Traveller, and with a name like Freddy Eastwood that becomes pretty obvious too. Romani travellers don''t mix with other communities, and Romani people must marry within their own communities. Because Romani is a ethnic group and not an ideology or philosophy, Eastwood cannot become Romany just like I can''t declare myself as African. Current Romani footballers include Gignac (French International), Guiza (Spanish International), and Reyes (Spanish International, former Arsenal), add to that Quaresma (Portugal). I find it ludicrious to see gypsies referred to as some kind of inferior race or sub-culture, they aren''t aliens. There are more Romani people than there are people living in Ireland and Northern Ireland combined.

Yet at one level this is not a stupid thread. Everytime Freddie Eastwood, Alan Lee or any other fooballer with traveller connections has been linked with City over the last few years, there has always been a halfwit asking where he will park his caravan. No one would ask where a black player was going to keep his cattle or an islamic player keep his camels but there is an apparently acceptable level of blind prejudice against travellers.

Whether or not travellers are a distinct ethnic group, stereotyping prejudice and discrimination exists and still appears even on as informed and sophisticated a forum as this one.

It is wrong, should be challenged and should be unacceptable. And I am not a traveller nor a traveller apologist. I support the evictions in Basildon because the law requires them. I do believe that labelling anyone by background and not by personal qualities is wrong. That includes travellers and for that matter ginger haired people.

If he is good enough stick him in.

Never know, maybe they will nick the floodlights for scrap and save everyone from the bloody irritating restricted viewing seats!!!!!!

Joking aside. I do have a problem with the traveller community. I dont like the non-payment of tax for the majority of them. I dont like the carnage and filth they always seem to leave behind. Although that aside, they few travellers who I actually know are really nice people. Perhaps they have got it right and the rest of us have got it wrong. You wont find the same family ethics among us ''normal'' people.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]I''m half Irish traveler so i would support it.[/quote]

Which half? also does that mean you only move every now and then?

[quote user="LeJuge"]What a stupid thread, I bet you don''t even really understand what a Gypsy is. Genuine gypsies fall into one of several ethnic groups, the largest of which is the Romani who speak the Romani language, there are said to be over 10 million Romani people in Europe. The Romani gypsies go back about 1750 years and are supressed and persecuted in many countries. What British people often see in terms of ''gypsies'' are in fact Irish Travellers, who have pretty much no history and can pretty much be considered nomadic Irish people. Their history goes back about as far as the potato famine, they were effectively just groups of homeless people who took up the nomadic lifestyle because they didn''t have homes or food. The travellers at Dale Farm are mostly Irish Travellers, a group who are pretty much specific to the UK and Ireland and simply aren''t even really gypsies. They are the descendants of people who never got told that the potato famine finished.I actually met a lady whose father once lived at Dale Farm when it started in the 1970''s, it was an interesting conversation. At that time the only part of the site in existance was and still is fully legal, she said that most of the original Dale Farm residents moved out into HOUSES in towns and cities everywhere, because they accepted that their lifestyle wasn''t necessary anymore and that there was plenty of opportunity for them to integrate. She still knew a few families who live on the legal part, who complained that most of the families on the illegal part had no family history of the nomadic lifestyle and had chosen to live that way of life - not born into it. The original residents of Dale Farm, who had proud traditions, left long ago because of the influx of undesirable people. That wouldn''t happen in the Romani communities, they have their way of life and fierce traditions. Asking whether I would want a Romani gypsy to play for Norwich, I would say of course I would, if they were good enough. There are more than half a million of them in Spain, more than half a million of them in Romania, more than half a million of them in Turkey, more than half a million of them in France. It''s a bit like asking whether we would be happy for a Welsh player to play for Norwich?!?! It is often said that Freddy Eastwood is a ''Romani'', yet he lived on Dale Farm, an Irish travellers site. This means that he is not a Romani, he is in fact an Irish Traveller, and with a name like Freddy Eastwood that becomes pretty obvious too. Romani travellers don''t mix with other communities, and Romani people must marry within their own communities. Because Romani is a ethnic group and not an ideology or philosophy, Eastwood cannot become Romany just like I can''t declare myself as African. Current Romani footballers include Gignac (French International), Guiza (Spanish International), and Reyes (Spanish International, former Arsenal), add to that Quaresma (Portugal). I find it ludicrious to see gypsies referred to as some kind of inferior race or sub-culture, they aren''t aliens. There are more Romani people than there are people living in Ireland and Northern Ireland combined. [/quote]"Romani travellers don''t mix with other communities, and Romani people must marry within their own communities".This came out wrong, because obviously they do, they live in towns and cities across Europe, but active Romani travellers have a Romani code which would no doubt be incompatible with the less desireable people on Dale Farm. Most of them are heavily religious for a start. There are 90000 Romani gypsies in the UK, and 22000 Irish travellers in the UK. A Romani family would not have to live on the countries largest settlement of Irish travellers.Another interesting point is that Romani people consider the term ''Gypsy'' to be offensive in Europe, they wish to be called ''Roma'', they consider the ''G'' word to be like the ''N'' word, derogatory In the UK, we have the Gypsy Council. That just goes to show how out of touch with the real Roma people so many UK travellers are, it would be like somebody setting up the N word Council.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Yet at one level this is not a stupid thread. Everytime Freddie Eastwood, Alan Lee or any other fooballer with traveller connections has been linked with City over the last few years, there has always been a halfwit asking where he will park his caravan. No one would ask where a black player was going to keep his cattle or an islamic player keep his camels but there is an apparently acceptable level of blind prejudice against travellers.

Whether or not travellers are a distinct ethnic group, stereotyping prejudice and discrimination exists and still appears even on as informed and sophisticated a forum as this one.

It is wrong, should be challenged and should be unacceptable. And I am not a traveller nor a traveller apologist. I support the evictions in Basildon because the law requires them. I do believe that labelling anyone by background and not by personal qualities is wrong. That includes travellers and for that matter ginger haired people.[/quote]I also support the eviction of travellers in Basildon, if only to make an example of them and show that they have to comply with the laws of the country that they reside in. Half of Dale Farm is actually legal, the other half illegal, the legal side will be permitted to remain.They probably would have been given planning permission had they submitted an application when they started using the other side, but they didn''t, and sometimes you have to face the consequences. If this results in them being more likely to submit planning applications in the future then good, and hopefully they will. I''m sure that there are suitable sites which could be found for them, especially brownfield sites. "Whether or not travellers are a distinct ethnic group"They typically are an ethnic group in most of Europe. A lot of the travellers in the UK however can typically just be referred to as Irish. There is a lot more history in the European travellers, in the Romani for example they have a very distinct and unique look, you can identify them from the color of their hair, skin, and often their facial features. For that reason there most certainly are ethnic groups.

The traditional Romany travellers aren''t the ones that leave their rubbish all over the countryside, they have more pride than that, their caravans are immaculate many of them being all chrome and mirrors, some of these caravans cost as much as a house.

You also have the Fairground travellers, a community that I have friends in, lovely people who again like the Romany travellers take pride in themselves, their families, their ride/stall and their caravan, some of the older ones become "static" whilst the younger ones travel with the fairgrounds they run stalls etc in seaside resorts, still living in their caravans on official sites.

There''s also the new age travellers who travel the country in battered old vans going from protest to protest and generally being a pain in the arse.

[quote user="Harry"]The traditional Romany travellers aren''t the ones that leave their rubbish all over the countryside, they have more pride than that, their caravans are immaculate many of them being all chrome and mirrors, some of these caravans cost as much as a house.

You also have the Fairground travellers, a community that I have friends in, lovely people who again like the Romany travellers take pride in themselves, their families, their ride/stall and their caravan, some of the older ones become "static" whilst the younger ones travel with the fairgrounds they run stalls etc in seaside resorts, still living in their caravans on official sites.

There''s also the new age travellers who travel the country in battered old vans going from protest to protest and generally being a pain in the arse.[/quote]Wish somebody would tell our media this to be honest, this is also the reason that many travellers find the term ''gypsy'' to be offensive, because it groups them all together and results in stereotypes. This is a real quote from the Daily Mail:"Dale Farm is the largest Romany Gypsy and Irish Traveller site in the UK"It isn''t. It is the largest Irish Traveller site, nothing to do with Romany gypsies. Just like Freddy Eastwood (who got done for fly tipping by the way) isn''t a Romany but so often gets labelled one. By not distinguishing between the different ethnic groups, it pretty much makes us as ignorant as Americans when they call Scottish and Welsh people ''English'', or ask which part of England Britain can be found!I''m still looking forward to the Dale Farm eviction though, I spent thousands of pounds on paperwork for an extension. By the time I had submitted four planning applications, a building regulations application, and paid for architects drawings and various amendments, I had probably spent about three grand before building had even started. I do believe that there should be less red tape and bureacracy, but I can understand why these controls exist, it protects our heritage, safety, and infrastructure. If I need to pay all that money to make an extension legal, just like everybody else does, then nobody else should be considered above the law. It''s a matter of fairness rather than the way that they choose to live their lives. There are 400 residents of Dale Farm who are occupying it illegally, there are 600 who are occupying Dale Farm legally. There are 51 illegal pitches that need to be removed. Seems pretty simple to me. They are playing the persecution line and bleating on about their human rights, what a load of old crap. If you don''t obtain planning permission for a development there is a good chance that you will need to pull it down, no matter who are you, or how rich you are. I''ll start symapthising with their human rights when they refund me my planning and building regs fees. Allowing them to stay because they happen to be travellers would be inequality, it would be the law abiding citizens of every town and city who are being persecuted then. I''m really looking forward to them getting evicted, and genuinely have no sympathy for them.