Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Bryan Gunn is today's guest on Keys and Gray

This idea that runs among the anti-Gunn brigade that he somehow arrogantly self-appointed/imposed/muscled himself to the Managers job without any opposition is laughable.

In summary as a goalkeeper and for all he went through in his private life -Club legend and all round top man.

Sadly a bad move by the board collectively on being made manager (especially the second time) means that his recent past is more remembered.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]This idea that runs among the anti-Gunn brigade that he somehow arrogantly self-appointed/imposed/muscled himself to the Managers job without any opposition is laughable.

In summary as a goalkeeper and for all he went through in his private life -Club legend and all round top man.

Sadly a bad move by the board collectively on being made manager (especially the second time) means that his recent past is more remembered.[/quote]While I think your point is reasonable, what got my back up was his self-promotion as "the right man for the job" - including a Radio Norfolk interview, EEN interview, etc.  I can accept he wanted the job full-time, but after having taken us down he should have realised the job was too much for him and stepped aside instead of aggressively campaigning for a job he had proved he couldn''t do.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]This idea that runs among the anti-Gunn brigade that he somehow arrogantly self-appointed/imposed/muscled himself to the Managers job without any opposition is laughable. In summary as a goalkeeper and for all he went through in his private life -Club legend and all round top man. Sadly a bad move by the board collectively on being made manager (especially the second time) means that his recent past is more remembered.[/quote]

While I think your point is reasonable, what got my back up was his self-promotion as "the right man for the job" - including a Radio Norfolk interview, EEN interview, etc.  I can accept he wanted the job full-time, but after having taken us down he should have realised the job was too much for him and stepped aside instead of aggressively campaigning for a job he had proved he couldn''t do.
[/quote]

I think, as Chops indicates, you have to differentiate between the appointment and the re-appointment. One doesn''t know what electioneering Gunn may have done behind the scenes, but the public story as far as the appointment was concerned was that imediately after the 4-0 win against Barnsley the players (Darel Russell particularly) dragged Roger Munby into the dressing-room and said they wanted Gunn to carry on. That may well have helped the board - and indeed Gunn - to make up their minds.

For the re-appointment, by contrast, Gunn certainly argued strongly in public to keep the job,  in addition to any private campaigning he may have done.