Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Bryan Gunn is today's guest on Keys and Gray

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Larry David"]

Indeed. While Gunn is up there with the worst managers of all time, appointing him TWICE was idiocy of the highest order. Neil Doncaster should have been forced out of the club after appointing Gunn x 2, Grant and Roeder.

[/quote]

---

Er, actually Doncaster WAS forced out of the club after those appointments. Or, to be accurate, after Grant, Roeder and Gunn Mark I. He had been axed as chief executive before Gunn''s re-appointment. Hard to blame him for that one.

But in any event the idea that Doncaster made those choices by himself is nonsense. If Doncaster had wanted those managers and Smith and Jones, with or without the others, had not then they wouldn''t have been appointed. It is, for example, a matter of public record that Roger Munby, for one, was all in favour of choosing Gunn in the wake of Roeder leaving. Equally, it was plain that Gunn''s re-appointment would not have happened without Smith and Jones wanting it.

Ultimately, credit or blame for all managerial appointments almost always (Lambert may have been the rare exception that proves the rule) lies with those who control the votes in the boardroom. And that was never Doncaster.

[/quote]"Er, actually Doncaster WAS forced out of the club after those appointments. Or, to be accurate, after Grant, Roeder and Gunn Mark I. He had been axed as chief executive before Gunn''s re-appointment. Hard to blame him for that one."Bryan Gunn was given the job permanently on 13th May 2009, Doncaster remained on 12th May 2009. We will never know how much input Doncaster had in that decision, but it was common knowledge that he was still sitting on the board and registered a director for some time after that date.[/quote]

Source: Companies House

Neil Doncaster''s appointment as a director was terminated on the 20th July 2009

[/quote]

Thanks, I knew that he stuck around for a while. The club had to have a minimum of 4 directors on the board and that would have pushed them down to 3.

The resignation of Doncaster and Mumby on 12th May, and the appointment of Gunn on 13th May, was nothing but a carefully orchastrated PR campaign to save Delia''s skin, to help boost season ticket sales, and to tempt more people into returning their season ticket rebates.

Both would have been carefully planned for some time before, and Doncaster would have known before Gunn was appointed. In fact, it actually looks like a typical piece of Doncaster spin, so it wouldn''t surprise me if he played an instrumental role in the whole thing.

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]The worst ever manager in the history of Norwich City football club.[/quote]Bryan Hamilton has to be a close contender for that title, his signings were equally as terrible. His only good signing was Nigel Worthington, and he wasn''t a player!

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]The worst ever manager in the history of Norwich City football club.[/quote]This.Regarding Holt... let''s be honest, it wasn''t rocket science was it?  A lot of people on here wanted us to sign him that summer and had a proven record in the lower leagues so it wasn''t like he found an unknown gem.What the club has achieved since August 2009 is despite his work, not because of it.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Time For Heroes"]The worst ever manager in the history of Norwich City football club.[/quote]This.Regarding Holt... let''s be honest, it wasn''t rocket science was it?  A lot of people on here wanted us to sign him that summer and had a proven record in the lower leagues so it wasn''t like he found an unknown gem.What the club has achieved since August 2009 is despite his work, not because of it.[/quote]

I remember that summer, Holt was the player that I really hoped we''d sign more than any other,same for Hoolahan the previous year under Roeder, doesn''t make me a good manager. As for Gunn, I still think back to when he was given the job not once but unbelievably twice and think ''What the hell was that tw@t Doncaster thinking''? As an earlier poster said idiocy of the highest order. Thank god for McNally and Lambert.

Bryan Gunn is today''s guest on Keys and Gray   Here is the link ---http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/blog/2011-09-22/norwich-city-legend-bryan-gunn-looks-back-his-memorable-career

[quote user="lake district canary"]I never said don''t criticise BG, everyone can be criticised, what I dislike is the way some people choose to ignore the positives and only focus on the negatives about his contribution almost to the point of insult.

The positives are the way he cleared out the old players, brought in some good players, alot of which at least had some role in the league one season, and gave PL a starting point. If PL had come in at the end of the previous season he would have had a much harder job than he did to turn it around. I''m not belittling Pl either, just stating facts.

BG had every right to carry on if he believed in his ability to do a job, it was up to the board to put the right man in place and thanks to David Mac, thats what happened, and thank goodness they did.

It''s history now, but BG was a very important part of the development of the club post Grant + Roeder. All of which led to David Mac and the appointment of PL and aren''t we all thankful about that![/quote]Indeed you didn''t say don''t criticise BG. Instead you said, " Never have a go at BG ". Aren''t they one and the same thing ?I''m glad you saw the sense in replacing BG but isn''t that the same as '' having a go '' at the man ?If you are a friend or relative of BG I admire your loyalty but you need to sharpen up a bit on here if you want to do him any favours......

LeJuge, you have made various points in various posts, but I''ll try to answer as many as I can. I am a bit constrained, because there is background to these which has never become public, and so can''t be mentioned. But it does perhaps give me an insight into what happened, how much of a role Doncaster played, and whether he was always in tune with other board members on key decisions.

Firstly, there is an important difference between him stepping down as chief executive (which is what I referred to) and him staying on the board in name only. He may well have been clearing out his desk for a day or two after the announcement on that May 12, but he effectively stopped being CEO. The fact that he remained a director for a while is here a red herring.  Certainly totally irrelevant to Gunn''s re-appointment.

More than that, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the decision to axe Doncaster was not made on May 12 (the day it was announced) or even the day before, but in the week before. In other words, a very few days after we had lost to Charlton.

Whether Doncaster was involved in the decision to keep Gunn on I don''t know. I really don''t. But if he was, then he was being asked his opinion by people (Smith and Jones) who had already decided he should quit as CEO. Possible, of course. But normally the CEO''s opinion is wanted because  it is the CEO who has to work with the manager. That wasn''t the case here. Doncaster was not going to be working with whomsoever was chosen.

"I can confidently say that there is no chance that Gunn would have got the job with McNally at the club, so any lack of influence possessed by Doncaster is his own shortcoming."

I''m not so confident of that at all. Not if McNally had been the new CEO being asked to agree to Gunn''s re-appointment. There is no doubt in my mind McNally, once he had been in the job for a couple of months, very cleverly used the 7-1 and what he had seen on the Scotland tour to press for Gunn to be sacked. But that is not at all the same scenario as the one you outline. He wouldn''t have had the clout straight away. And you are, of course, contradicting yourself. You need to decide whether Doncaster had too much influence (which is what I thought you were saying) or too little!

"If Mumby, Foulger, and Doncaster voted ''yes'', and Wynn-Jones and Smith voted ''no'', then it is 3-2. Obviously things don''t quite work like that, Mumby and Doncaster were on the payroll, and likely ''yes men''...... but Smith and Wynn-Jones don''t have the level of control that they would should they reach a 75% shareholding and be forced to buy out other shareholders, it''s a PLC, they aren''t sole propertiers or lone directors in an Ltd. Five seats on the board means five votes."

Yes, it is one person, one vote, but you have answered your own point really (although Munby was never on the payroll). The owners of a PLC have a kind of hidden power. They can be outvoted (it probably happened with Gunn''s sacking, or at the least they very much had to be persuaded) but not often. And that is why I lay the blame for the mistakes that were made at Smith and Jones''s door. I think anyone who concentrates on Doncaster is aiming at the wrong target.

Am I the only person who thought that BG''s job offer with an agency in the North was very convenient, bearing in mind the interest in Gunn Jnr. by Man City that subsequently materialised? I''m not saying that I blame him for taking the job but I do feel rather cynical about it.

Wow! A Heated argument with polite text formatting - You guys are putting on one hell of a show!!

Keep it up - Loving those bold replies encapsulated in Quotes!!

[quote user="Tangie"]

lets face it Holt was a no brainer who would have been bought by Lambert for Colchester if he could have competed with our cheque book.

[/quote]

Not that load of old tosh again. If you''re right, then how did we get Holt? Why didn''y any of the countless other clubs who bought duds in that summer window out bid us? If Grant Holt was such a no brainer how on earth was he allowed to sign for us for 500,000? Maybe all those other League One and Championship managers were brain dead?!?!?!

I remember another manager back in the 60''s called Lol Morgan. I''m sure you do too Tangie. And I''m sure you can reel off his poor signings just as you can Gunny. And when Ron Saunders took over he got the squad into shape, added his own signings and won the Championship. Or the equivalent for those days. But a huge cog in that Saunders wheel was Duncan Forbes. Big Dunc who Morgan signed from Colchester. I bet that was a no brainer too. But like with Holt nobody came along to out bid Morgan and Forbes signed for us for £12,000.

So neither Gunn or Morgan will ever be remembered for success because they were both failures. But to take away the credit for signing players who had a huge impact in shaping the future of the club is mean to say the very least.

[quote user="LeJuge"]

The resignation of Doncaster and Mumby on 12th May, and the appointment of Gunn on 13th May, was nothing but a carefully orchastrated PR campaign to save Delia''s skin, [/quote]

Save Delia''s skin from what LeJuge?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

lets face it Holt was a no brainer who would have been bought by Lambert for Colchester if he could have competed with our cheque book.

[/quote]

Not that load of old tosh again. If you''re right, then how did we get Holt? Why didn''y any of the countless other clubs who bought duds in that summer window out bid us? If Grant Holt was such a no brainer how on earth was he allowed to sign for us for 500,000? Maybe all those other League One and Championship managers were brain dead[/quote]

Lamberts actions does the talking for me:

1) He tried to sign Holt for Colchester but Norwich had more money. As I say signing Holt was a no brainer.

2) He moved on the other players Gunn signed

Re Holt;

May be the other clubs couldn''t match our wage levels?

May be other clubs such Hartlepool, Exeter could match the transfer fee we were prepared to pay?

May be other clubs couldn''t match our fantastic living environment.

"Am I the only person who thought that BG''s job offer with an agency in the North was very convenient, bearing in mind the interest in Gunn Jnr. by Man City that subsequently materialised? I''m not saying that I blame him for taking the job but I do feel rather cynical about it. "

Yes, that had been exactly my point abiout Gunn Junior and BG''s job offer, Canary Bird, though you put it much better.

BG''s job offer seemed to me a very convenient way of getting Angus in at Man City, while at the same time preserving face for himself after his own abject failure.

It must have really irked BG that Lambert proved so successful, especially as he was initially working with the same squad as BG had available to him on the opening day versus Colchester, with markedly different results.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

"Am I the only person who thought that BG''s job offer with an agency in the North was very convenient, bearing in mind the interest in Gunn Jnr. by Man City that subsequently materialised? I''m not saying that I blame him for taking the job but I do feel rather cynical about it. "

Yes, that had been exactly my point abiout Gunn Junior and BG''s job offer, Canary Bird, though you put it much better.

BG''s job offer seemed to me a very convenient way of getting Angus in at Man City, while at the same time preserving face for himself after his own abject failure.

It must have really irked BG that Lambert proved so successful, especially as he was initially working with the same squad as BG had available to him on the opening day versus Colchester, with markedly different results.

[/quote]Given the choice, I doubt that there is a single person on this board who wouldn''t quit as the director of a regional mobile phone company in order to work as a director of a football agency located in the current hotbed of English football, a stones throw from Man Utd, Man City, and Liverpool. The idea that he should have turned down that opportunity in order to not upset Norwich fans by moving his 15 year old son is ludicrious. I don''t like Bryan Gunn all that much, I think that his world evolves around his ego, but I can''t blame him for taking an opportunity like that. Your talking about somebody who had worked in football for 30 years suddenly finding himself flogging phones, he would have been an idiot not to take the job.

[quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

Not that load of old tosh again. If you''re right, then how did we get Holt? Why didn''y any of the countless other clubs who bought duds in that summer window out bid us? If Grant Holt was such a no brainer how on earth was he allowed to sign for us for 500,000? Maybe all those other League One and Championship managers were brain dead[/quote] Lamberts actions does the talking for me: 1) He tried to sign Holt for Colchester but Norwich had more money. As I say signing Holt was a no brainer. 2) He moved on the other players Gunn signed Re Holt; May be the other clubs couldn''t match our wage levels? May be other clubs such Hartlepool, Exeter could match the transfer fee we were prepared to pay? May be other clubs couldn''t match our fantastic living environment.[/quote]

What have Hartlepool and Exeter got to do with it Tangible?

Grant Holt was in negotiations to sign for Norwich as early as April 2009. You might just as well cite QPR and Leicester or Coventry and your old favourites Preston.

These ongoing negotiations are a good reason for Gunn getting the job that May. Now this is hindsight because I didn''t agree with the appointment at the time, but had Doncaster and Gunn both been shown the door what would have happened to all the negotiations going on for the summet transfer window? I doubt any club would seriously contemplate losing a CE and manager at that crucial time.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Did anybody actually listen to his interview, what was said??
[/quote]

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/blog/2011-09-22/norwich-city-legend-bryan-gunn-looks-back-his-memorable-career

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

Not that load of old tosh again. If you''re right, then how did we get Holt? Why didn''y any of the countless other clubs who bought duds in that summer window out bid us? If Grant Holt was such a no brainer how on earth was he allowed to sign for us for 500,000? Maybe all those other League One and Championship managers were brain dead[/quote] Lamberts actions does the talking for me: 1) He tried to sign Holt for Colchester but Norwich had more money. As I say signing Holt was a no brainer. 2) He moved on the other players Gunn signed Re Holt; May be the other clubs couldn''t match our wage levels? May be other clubs such Hartlepool, Exeter could match the transfer fee we were prepared to pay? May be other clubs couldn''t match our fantastic living environment.[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite simple really Nutty, they are Division 1 clubs. After all you did refer to Division one clubs.

Lets not forget we were in Division 1 at the time (for the first time in 50 years) and signing Holt was a no brainer for any club in that division. As a club with big resources by that divisions standard it not surprising that we could offer a bigger transfer fee than Colchester United who were rumoured to have offered £250,000.  It may also be a case that we could offer bigger wages than most if not all the other clubs in Division 1.

So Nutty apart from Holt, how many of Gunns other signings are still with us?   Wait for it................NONE!

[quote user="nutty nigel"] 

I doubt any club would seriously contemplate losing a CE and manager at that crucial time.

[/quote]

Funny how the overwhelming vote of the fans at the St Andrews Hall meeting could express the fact that  the reappointment of Gunn was a bad move. Says everything about the running of the club at that time. Even you voted that you had no confidence in the board (that included Delia and MWJ.).

[quote user="Tangible Fixated about Delia"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite simple really Nutty, they are Division 1 clubs. After all you did refer to Division one clubs.

Lets not forget we were in Division 1 at the time (for the first time in 50 years) and signing Holt was a no brainer for any club in that division. As a club with big resources by that divisions standard it not surprising that we could offer a bigger transfer fee than Colchester United who were rumoured to have offered £250,000.  It may also be a case that we could offer bigger wages than most if not all the other clubs in Division 1.

So Nutty apart from Holt, how many of Gunns other signings are still with us?   Wait for it................NONE!

[/quote]

I don''t know who you''re debating this with but it isn''t me. I didn''t say any of Gunns signings were still with us. I didn''t say he was a good manager. I have never said he was a good manager. What I said was that if the signing of Holt was such na "no brainer" how come he wasn''t signed by those Championship and League One clubs who bought inferior players that summer?

Your refusal to give Gunn the credit for his good signing whilst you quite happily slate him for the poor ones is mean in the extreme.

Nelson proved to be a cracking signing too BTW. And I hold my hands up to totally misjudging him.

Askou was a crap signing and I always said so despite the messiah status he was given on here at the time. But he couldn''t ''arf hoof it!![;)]

[quote user="Tangible Fixated about the meetin at St Andrews Hall"][quote user="nutty nigel"] 

Grant Holt was in negotiations to sign for Norwich as early as April 2009. You might just as well cite QPR and Leicester or Coventry and your old favourites Preston.

These ongoing negotiations are a good reason for Gunn getting the job that May. Now this is hindsight because I didn''t agree with the appointment at the time, but had Doncaster and Gunn both been shown the door what would have happened to all the negotiations going on for the summet transfer window? I doubt any club would seriously contemplate losing a CE and manager at that crucial time

[/quote]

Funny how the overwhelming vote of the fans at the St Andrews Hall meeting could express the fact that  the reappointment of Gunn was a bad move. Says everything about the running of the club at that time. Even you voted that you had no confidence in the board (that included Delia and MWJ.).

[/quote]

Please reply to what I post not what you want me to have posted.

Have one of these[um]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixated about Delia"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know who you''re debating this with but it isn''t me. I didn''t say any of Gunns signings were still with us. I didn''t say he was a good manager. I have never said he was a good manager. What I said was that if the signing of Holt was such na "no brainer" how come he wasn''t signed by those Championship and League One clubs who bought inferior players that summer?

Your refusal to give Gunn the credit for his good signing whilst you quite happily slate him for the poor ones is mean in the extreme.

[/quote]

I can only talk about a club in our position, i.e. being in Division one (for the first time in 50 years), thus signing Holt was a no brainer.  Talking about Championship clubs is irrelvant as we were in Division one at that time unless that passed you by. 

As for not giving credit to Gunn for his good signing, well  do you expect a manager to have such a poor success rate with transfers?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixated about the meetin at St Andrews Hall"][quote user="nutty nigel"] 

These ongoing negotiations are a good reason for Gunn getting the job that May. Now this is hindsight because I didn''t agree with the appointment at the time, but had Doncaster and Gunn both been shown the door what would have happened to all the negotiations going on for the summet transfer window? I doubt any club would seriously contemplate losing a CE and manager at that crucial time

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please reply to what I post not what you want me to have posted.

Have one of these[um]

Have a look in the mirror and ask yourself the same question for the hundreds of posts you haven''t answered.

Have a nice day!

[/quote]

Nutty:

I doubt any club would seriously contemplate losing a CE and manager at that crucial time.

Tangie:

Says everything about the running of the club at that time. Even you voted that you had no confidence in the board (that included Delia and MWJ.).

Tangie:

Nutty, may i sugest you calm down and think about what I posted. 

You doubted whether the club would want to lose a CEO and a manager at the same time.

My answer was that it says everything about the running of the club at that time (that the club came to a point where that could happen).

So I have answered your post, unlike you on hundreds of occasions.

Have a nice day!

[quote user="Tangible Fixated about League One for the 1st time in 50 years"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixated about Delia"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can only talk about a club in our position, i.e. being in Division one (for the first time in 50 years), thus signing Holt was a no brainer.  Talking about Championship clubs is irrelvant as we were in Division one at that time unless that passed you by. 

As for not giving credit to Gunn for his good signing, well  do you expect a manager to have such a poor success rate with transfers?

[/quote]

I knew I shouldn''t have got dragged into this.

For the final time I have never said Gunn had a good record in the transfer market and I have never said he was a good manager. All I said was that he should be credited for signing Holt.

If Holt was such a no brainer then why wasn''t he snapped up by Championship clubs or indeed the other relegated clubs. Or indeed other League One clubs like Leeds NOT Exeter and Hartlepool. And finally if the championship clubs are irrelevant then what relevance was your comment about Gunns signings not being with us in the Premier League.

I''m out of here now. But you can still make something up and pretend I posted it to argue on your own if you like.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixated about League One for the 1st time in 50 years"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible Fixated about Delia"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangible"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tangie"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But you can still make something up and pretend I posted it

[/quote]

No thanks, I dont need to copy your style.

nutty nigel wrote: "I didn''t say he was a good manager. I have never said he was a good manager."So it would be fair to say that to re-appoint him after he took us down was a mistake. Hold on, that would mean your idol got it wrong, no surely not, that''s not possible is it? [:$]

I''m not going to play your games Crafty. I''ve got 56 PUPs posted this week already. No way am I risking that to get involved with you and your ilk. Run along and annoy someone else, there''s a good lad.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Being made manager from ''nowhere'' says it all about the shambolic running of NCFC pre McNally and co. back when. It''s almost laughable when you think about it.

He should have turned the job down and kept his star rating among City fans. A clear case of personal ambition exceeding ability... plus he doesn''t rate that highly as City keepers go.
[/quote]

As you say, it was sheer folly on the part of our then shambolically run board to appoint Bryan as NCFC manager, given that he was a total novice with zero experience of football club management. One of the most naive decisions ever.

Despite Bryan''s lack of ability as a manager, I still have great respect for the man, and for me he is still a club legend.