Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Ric

Micheal oliver

Truly pathetic display. How many controversial decisions has he to make before he is relegated back to Sunday league where he belongs?

[quote user="Jem"]Truly pathetic display. How many controversial decisions has he to make before he is relegated back to Sunday league where he belongs?[/quote]

Even Blue Square''s too high.

I have never understood it when people say that ref''s should be relegated to the lower leagues. Why should the ''smaller'' clubs have to have the poor ref''s, just so the ''bigger'' sides can have the decent ref''s? For me, all referees should be of an equal quality, as if a referee can''t see a bad tackle/handball etc, he shouldn''t be doing the job. If a maths teacher couldn''t do his times tables, and was working in a college, he wouldn''t just get sent down to a primary school, he''d be kicked out and have to learn his job before being allowed back in. If a referee is incapable of doing his job correctly no matter what league he is in, he should be kicked out of the FA and forced to do his referee licence again. A referee in a game between Man Utd and Liverpool should be the same standard as a ref in a game between Chesterfield and Burton Albion!

[quote user="ryan1992"]I have never understood it when people say that ref''s should be relegated to the lower leagues. Why should the ''smaller'' clubs have to have the poor ref''s, just so the ''bigger'' sides can have the decent ref''s? For me, all referees should be of an equal quality, as if a referee can''t see a bad tackle/handball etc, he shouldn''t be doing the job. If a maths teacher couldn''t do his times tables, and was working in a college, he wouldn''t just get sent down to a primary school, he''d be kicked out and have to learn his job before being allowed back in. If a referee is incapable of doing his job correctly no matter what league he is in, he should be kicked out of the FA and forced to do his referee licence again. A referee in a game between Man Utd and Liverpool should be the same standard as a ref in a game between Chesterfield and Burton Albion![/quote]

Yes spot on, send the idiot back to the class room   

He made one bad decision against us, and people are clinging onto that saying he is the worst ref in the prem!

[quote user="ryan1992"]I have never understood it when people say that ref''s should be relegated to the lower leagues. Why should the ''smaller'' clubs have to have the poor ref''s, just so the ''bigger'' sides can have the decent ref''s? For me, all referees should be of an equal quality, as if a referee can''t see a bad tackle/handball etc, he shouldn''t be doing the job. If a maths teacher couldn''t do his times tables, and was working in a college, he wouldn''t just get sent down to a primary school, he''d be kicked out and have to learn his job before being allowed back in. If a referee is incapable of doing his job correctly no matter what league he is in, he should be kicked out of the FA and forced to do his referee licence again. A referee in a game between Man Utd and Liverpool should be the same standard as a ref in a game between Chesterfield and Burton Albion![/quote]

What absolute rubbish!

Refereeing is no different to playing, sometimes players have good games, sometimes players have bad games. Those who consistantly play well get to play in the better teams. So why on earth shouldn''t the better referees get the better games?

You wouldn''t want to see Wayne Rooney playing in League Two would you?

Just as the better players find their own level, so should the referees. If he is not performing well enough he get''s relegated just as players move down the leagues. And when, or if, his performances improve enough he can then regain his place with the best.

The biggest problem is how the FA try to ''recognise'' the ''good, young talent'' and push it forward too quickly. Quite often the wrong people are chosing the talent and are pushing forward he wrong referees.

There are also some strange requirements needed by the FA in the lower promotion stakes. A good referee who controls games very well who can spot infringements but perhaps does not issue enough cautions to generate income for the County FA and is not as adept at writing his reports will be further down the pecking order than a poor referee who makes money for the FA by issuing unnecessary cautions but has immaculate written reports. Even if they are wrong!

Yellow Wall i have to disagree with you completely.

Footballing is about ability, refereeing is about making decisions based on the rules set for the game. If a referee is not able to make the correct decisions consistently, then he''s not good enough for any level.

If you have a striker who needs 10 decent chances to score, he''s going to be playing in lower leagues. If you have a referee who only makes 1 right decision out of 10, then he''s not good enough for any level.

Basically, every level of Football needs a referee (and linesmen) who are able to do there job, there is no middle ground, you can either referee or you can''t....

its fairly obvious this little tw*t sets out to make a contoversial decision in most of his games to get himself noticed as unfortunatley this is how referees get themselves noticed and glad-handed up the hierachy......Mike Riley made a career out of this and ended up refereeing at world cups etc

No middle ground?

So you would expect the referee in the Dereham Cockers United vs North Elmham Reserves in the Crown Fire Division Four to be as good as a Premiership referee?

That''s where some referees have to start but just like playing, they improve with games. It isn''t a God given gift, it''s something they have to work on to achieve their own standards. With hard work, again like playing, some have the talent to make the professional game whereas others will be forever a Crown Fire referee, and if that is the level they reach, good luck to them!

But the better should progress and the lesser either stay where they are or, if the FA have moved them forward too quickly, take a step backwards.

Michael Oliver is a very good referee btw the last time he refereed a game of ours was the Parma friendly. And for the people who say it is easy you are wrong it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. Also at the end of the day the referee has a pov on every decision he gives so from his pov he IS right end of. The arguement of all referees should be the same ability is absoloute crap in every profession people are the best people are not so good. If anyone wants to argue with me be my guest

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

No middle ground?

So you would expect the referee in the Dereham Cockers United vs North Elmham Reserves in the Crown Fire Division Four to be as good as a Premiership referee?

That''s where some referees have to start but just like playing, they improve with games. It isn''t a God given gift, it''s something they have to work on to achieve their own standards. With hard work, again like playing, some have the talent to make the professional game whereas others will be forever a Crown Fire referee, and if that is the level they reach, good luck to them!

But the better should progress and the lesser either stay where they are or, if the FA have moved them forward too quickly, take a step backwards.

[/quote]

Does Dereham Cockers still have a team?........despite it being burned down some 15 years ago ?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

No middle ground?

[/quote]

Does Dereham Cockers still have a team?........despite it being burned down some 15 years ago ?!?

[/quote]

Accoding to the league tables they are bottom of Division Four!

Have to agree with Ncfc26, Referees have an almost impossible job sometimes in deciding whether players are genuinely being fouled or ''going down too easy''.

Players have to take much of the blame. They are clever at diguising their falls, know exactly where the referee is so can make it look genuine. Lets be fair, its cheating, but it happens and they all do it to some extent.

Tamas knew his arm could not be seen by the ref, thats how he got away with it. The West Brom penalty was a joke, the attacker stepped in front of Morrison and fell over, but from the refs angle it obviously looked real.

Maybe more refs assistants are needed so more angles can be covered - or maybe the ones that are there need to take more responsibility.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

What absolute rubbish!

Refereeing is no different to playing, sometimes players have good games, sometimes players have bad games. Those who consistantly play well get to play in the better teams. So why on earth shouldn''t the better referees get the better games?

Just as the better players find their own level, so should the referees. If he is not performing well enough he get''s relegated just as players move down the leagues. And when, or if, his performances improve enough he can then regain his place with the best.

The biggest problem is how the FA try to ''recognise'' the ''good, young talent'' and push it forward too quickly. Quite often the wrong people are chosing the talent and are pushing forward he wrong referees.

There are also some strange requirements needed by the FA in the lower promotion stakes. A good referee who controls games very well who can spot infringements but perhaps does not issue enough cautions to generate income for the County FA and is not as adept at writing his reports will be further down the pecking order than a poor referee who makes money for the FA by issuing unnecessary cautions but has immaculate written reports. Even if they are wrong!

[/quote]

I''m talking rubbish?!?! Surely any referee in the world should be able to see a player being pulled to the floor or punch the ball into the net?Footballers do have different abilities, as some are not good enough to play in certain leagues, but a referee should be able to tell a foul no matter who he plays. its not like he will be refereeing a barcelona game and say ''i dont know if that was a foul when messi got kicked in the stomach, because he is against top quality players, but had he been playing in a dagenham shirt, it''d definately been a free kick''. the quality of football gets better as you go up the leagues, but fouls are always fouls, and a handball will always be a handball. we had supposedly the worlds greatest ref in charge at bolton, but i dont think the game would have been any different if we had the ref who officiated the gillingham game that day tbh!

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Michael Oliver is a very good referee btw the last time he refereed a game of ours was the Parma friendly. And for the people who say it is easy you are wrong it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. Also at the end of the day the referee has a pov on every decision he gives so from his pov he IS right end of. The arguement of all referees should be the same ability is absoloute crap in every profession people are the best people are not so good. If anyone wants to argue with me be my guest[/quote]Idiot.

[quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

What absolute rubbish!

[/quote]

I''m talking rubbish?!?! Surely any referee in the world should be able to see a player being pulled to the floor or punch the ball into the net?Footballers do have different abilities, as some are not good enough to play in certain leagues, but a referee should be able to tell a foul no matter who he plays. its not like he will be refereeing a barcelona game and say ''i dont know if that was a foul when messi got kicked in the stomach, because he is against top quality players, but had he been playing in a dagenham shirt, it''d definately been a free kick''. the quality of football gets better as you go up the leagues, but fouls are always fouls, and a handball will always be a handball. we had supposedly the worlds greatest ref in charge at bolton, but i dont think the game would have been any different if we had the ref who officiated the gillingham game that day tbh!

[/quote]

Surely the point is the referee''s alot of the time can''t tell when a foul is genuine or not. Players are too clever for them. They need their assistants to take more responsibility in spotting fakes, dives etc.

Why does the ref have to take all the blame, players are cheating all the time to get free kicks, penalties etc. I''m no lover of referees but players have to take some responsibility for the things that go on.

Surely the point is the referee''s alot of the time can''t tell when a foul is genuine or not. Players are too clever for them. They need their assistants to take more responsibility in spotting fakes, dives etc.

Why does the ref have to take all the blame, players are cheating all the time to get free kicks, penalties etc. I''m no lover of referees but players have to take some responsibility for the things that go on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. "

What do you think his linesmen are for?

They''re not there just for decoration.

But if a referee has a penalty call on the other side of the box full of players he is unsigted so is the asisstants how difficult is it?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Ncfc26"]Michael Oliver is a very good referee btw the last time he refereed a game of ours was the Parma friendly. And for the people who say it is easy you are wrong it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. Also at the end of the day the referee has a pov on every decision he gives so from his pov he IS right end of. The arguement of all referees should be the same ability is absoloute crap in every profession people are the best people are not so good. If anyone wants to argue with me be my guest[/quote]Idiot.[/quote]

wow someone is intelligent is that all of you arguement or is that it?

[quote user="Ncfc26"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Ncfc26"]Michael Oliver is a very good referee btw the last time he refereed a game of ours was the Parma friendly. And for the people who say it is easy you are wrong it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world when Wes makes a mistake 10 other players can help him out if an official does he has no one else to help him. Also at the end of the day the referee has a pov on every decision he gives so from his pov he IS right end of. The arguement of all referees should be the same ability is absoloute crap in every profession people are the best people are not so good. If anyone wants to argue with me be my guest[/quote]Idiot.[/quote]

wow someone is intelligent is that all of you arguement or is that it?[/quote]Considering the fantastic structure of that individual line of common wit, i think i''ll leave you to ponder over your own incredibly inaccurate views.

Interesting points made on this thread. The ref is always most at risk of being the most hated man on the pitch and he does have a tough job if he doesnt see something so sees something completely the wrong way! I certainly wouldnt fancy being one!

However I do agree that a referee should be fit to play at ANY level and if they are not up to par they should be taught the name of the game so to speak.

I don''t think Michael Oliver is a particularly good referee. I''m sure he''s been fast-tracked by the people incharge to make it look like they''re bringing through quality young refs.

If you look at the penalty given to Aston Villa today you can argue it was the correct decision because Traore did have a pull at Agbonlahor''s shirt. However, you can bet your house that Michael Oliver will see that situation occur numerous more times this season and he won''t give anything.

It was a "soft" penalty but then he didn''t give either of the possible penalties that QPR could have had. Both for handball from Hutton.

Bit like when Halsey refereed our game. Didn''t want to know when the WBA defenders clattered our lads and somehow managed to miss the elbow on Vaughan but no hesitation to give a soft ish penalty against Morison.

Even looking at the Chelsea game. We all know Torres should have had a second yellow and been sent off and the ref  knew it too but he chose to let him off. Yet when Ruddy brought down Ramires (when Ramires dived) he couldn''t hesitate to bring out the red card, it was out of his pocket before Ramires had hit the floor.

Consistency is lacking too often. Perhaps integrity too.

Has anyone here in this debate refereed, or even been linesman, in a match before?

I honestly don''t think, until you have done, that you can understand how difficult a job it is. You are expected to see everything that happens all over the pitch, you''ve got players, management and fans shouting at you calling you an idiot when you make a decision against their favour. You get one chance to see the incident, in real time, and you get a mere couple of seconds to make a decision. Is there any other profession like it?

The number of times I''ve watched a game on Sky, saw an incident and thought ''what is the ref doing saying that''s a foul'', then seen a replay and agreed with the ref. They will still get the abuse from people 50 yards away in the terraces who can''t see the man 5 rows in front of them but saw a pull of the shirt at the other end of the pitch! It''s a pantomime!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

No middle ground?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mate that was Cocos, Cockers is on Norwich Street remember, the one with the ridiculous low ceiling?

Poor refs shouldn''t ever be knowingly inflicted on any team, whether it''s in League 2 or in the lower reaches of non-league football. Agree with ryan1992.

[quote user="Canarino"]Poor refs shouldn''t ever be knowingly inflicted on any team, whether it''s in League 2 or in the lower reaches of non-league football. Agree with ryan1992.[/quote]

No doubt the FA will appreciate your views on which referees should never be allowed to blow his whistle again because he is not very good and also your solution how to provide referees for the lower reaches of non-league football after all the poor referees have hung up their whistles.

Perhaps all the players who are poor shouldn''t be allowed to play the game ............ there''ll be plenty of referees then!

Or you could try refereeing yourself. You''ll pick up £30 - £40.00 for a Saturday afternoon match in lower non-league football.

Watching the highlights on MOTD2 it looks like he got two out of three penalty decisions correct and it was debatable whether he could see the first Hutton handball as there were players in his line of sight.Is he another referee who has it in for Norwich [:|]