Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Steve Morison critics.....

I really can''t understand the Morison critics, he looks like a team player who works hard, and as with most Lambert signings they get better as they mature. Russell Martin for example went from pretty good League One right back who was a welcome relief from that headless chicken Otsemober to the best championship right back last year (in my opinion).Morison played a key role in the Hoolahan goal against Wigan to win us a point, even if it wasn''t the perfect cross and the actual assist goes to the flapping keeper, he still squared it to Hoolahan, and Hoolahan still got on the end of it somehow. Then against Bolton our first goal was a result of Morisons quick reaction in a postion where he could have gone for goal himself. Barnett headed the ball out wide, where stood an unmarked Morison, who played the simple ball to Pilkington to tap it in. Watch the highlights of the Bolton game, http://theoriginalwinger.com/2011-09-17-epl-highlights-bolton-wanderers-v-norwich-cityLook at Morison for the first goal. Then, look at the second goal, a set piece from the same side. Watch Morison at the far post, going into precisely the same position. Both times he completely loses his marker. This bloke is a better ''player'' then people are giving him credit for. I think people are seeing a big strong striker and wondering why he isn''t knocking around centre backs like Grant Holt, I just think he has his own game. I''m writing this because people have started to criticise him a bit recently, I''m going to watch him like a hawk tonight and try and work out his game. I''ve got a feeling that he is a pretty clever player. Do watch Morison for the two goals before replying, I justed watched the goals back three times, and then tell me if you see what I mean.

I think Morison has been asked to play a strict role that allows others to get into the game. He did this for Wales too and as some posts have only served to confirm - it is a thankless task.

Love the way that none of the people willing to slag Steve Morison off are willing to watch a 3 minute video which shows him showing stealth and intelligience to get into the same position, with no marker whatsoever, in the same game.Morison completely did a job on his marker against Bolton, he will score goals if he keeps on doing that.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I think Morison has been asked to play a strict role that allows others to get into the game. He did this for Wales too and as some posts have only served to confirm - it is a thankless task.[/quote]Steve Morison has had twice as many shots in 2 starts and 2 sub appearances as Holt has had in 3 starts and 1 sub appearance. I''ve got no worry about him scoring goals. That video link shows precisely why he will get the chances needed to score goals, and once one goal comes it won''t be long until more come with it.

Looking forward to the usual back peddling once Morison starts scoring goals and the short supply of people coming forward to own up to having criticised him with "I never doubted that he would one day become a hero at the club".

Well as you all know i am a morison fan over holt in my eyes in this league. So no back peddling from me.

I like Morison, but that is based on what I have seen of him before coming to Norwich rather than what he has done so far. I think he is taking a little time to settle, in the premiership as much as at the club, but reckon he may well get on the score sheet tonight (if he plays of course). I think Vaughan may start tonight, he looked keen against Bolton and seemed to have a bit more pace, be more direct and aggressive than either Morison or Holt showed.

Great header from Morrison.  Haters on this board will always criticise signings they dont agree with if they have a poor first 5 minutes of their city career.  Most sensible City fans are usually prepared to give a player 10, 15 or 20 games before forming an opinion.  Think Morrisons been solid since he arrived, he should''ve scored the header the other week against WBA, but apart from that, not too many chances in his games so far. 

I think he has had chances and maybe missed but atleast hes making chances. Holt has made one and yes scored but done bugger all threatening the oppositions goal apart from the chelsea goal. Morison deserves his place and will gain confidence from this goal hopefully one of many :)

[quote user="Better Wizard"]....... can i be the one that said told you so? please :)[/quote]Be my guest, none of them had the bottle to come on to this thread after slagging him off on the other one. I don''t expect to see any of them on here tonight either.

This is probably worse than people criticising Morison, just because you liked him before he scored doesn''t give you the moral high ground.....

But good header from him tonight, i think the main reason people maybe haven''t taken an instant liking to him, is that the effort he puts in isn''t quite as visible as Holts. Somehow Holt makes what he does look very impressive, while Morison perhaps does not.

Hopefully he scores a few more, I must admit i was worried he would continue to miss chances like he had done in the past 3 games, but definatly took his chance this evening :)

I''ve no doubt that a lot of the posters criticising Morison are just annoyed that he seems to have replaced Grant Holt as first choice striker. Unfortunately Holty''s ten minute cameo today showed just why PL has left him out of the side in the last couple of weeks. He was brought on to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure but must have given away at least five fouls and with that lost possession. Morison on the other hand was excellent and put in a real shift for the team and fully deserved his goal.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I''ve no doubt that a lot of the posters criticising Morison are just annoyed that he seems to have replaced Grant Holt as first choice striker. Unfortunately Holty''s ten minute cameo today showed just why PL has left him out of the side in the last couple of weeks. He was brought on to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure but must have given away at least five fouls and with that lost possession. Morison on the other hand was excellent and put in a real shift for the team and fully deserved his goal.
[/quote]

And there was me thinking that he was "lazy, slow and lightweight". Or perhaps that was someone else!

As you know I am a Morison fan also preferring him to Holty. He did look lazy or slow when he leapt and bulleted that header in for 2-0.

Oz stop jumping on the bandwagon me and lejudge are the only fans from the start just admit he''s won you over ;)

Wiz, no mate. I declared my undying admiration and support for my mate Morro and questioned whether Holty was up to it. And whilst I wasn''t totally abused was quickly put in place.

Is there any room in the Morison club with yourself and LeJuge.

Well,

I never have slagged Morison off on here but sometimes have said that if Holt and Morison play up front that they need pace to compliment them. I thought Morison coped up front well with two big central defenders to cope with. The pace was provided by Pilkington, Bennett and Hoolahan running at their back four. I did think at times that their were oppotunities to get the ball in the box but their was no one there and defenders were all over Morison, so all we could do was hold up possession, but thats what you get, gaps if you play one up front.

I thought it was brilliant Morisons goal and he slid in front of me and me mates in the Jarrold, we all went nuts!!!

Patience perseverance and battling qualities....Morison has it, Holt is such a hero here at Norwich and rightly so due to what he has done for our club but the manager picks the team to win games. Holt knows this and he will get goals this season no doubt about it but Morison is edging him and earning his place, good luck to him,

Now sssshhhhhhh where are those critics now, oh why buy Morison when we could but CMS, I think you have been silenced

Great performance all round!

Ian

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This is probably worse than people criticising Morison, just because you liked him before he scored doesn''t give you the moral high ground.....

But good header from him tonight, i think the main reason people maybe haven''t taken an instant liking to him, is that the effort he puts in isn''t quite as visible as Holts. Somehow Holt makes what he does look very impressive, while Morison perhaps does not.

Hopefully he scores a few more, I must admit i was worried he would continue to miss chances like he had done in the past 3 games, but definatly took his chance this evening :)[/quote]It is not a case of jumping on to the morale high horse to disprove those who had doubts about him, more a case of being delighted that Morison could raise his middle finger up at comments like this:"I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?""He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight."To call him lazy, and question whether he wants to score, is pathetic.

Its not pathetic, its someone''s opinion.

And to be honest, although i don''t fully agree I do understand where they are coming from.

If Morison had missed that header last night, and not had another chance to score, that would have been 3 or 4 very good chances to score that he would have missed, and you would have to be defending him based on little output. (But obviously he did score, which is great but that won''t instantly change everyone''s mind, some people don''t see much in Morison, I personally see him as just about good enough, but i certainly don''t rate him above Holt yet, but haven''t disregarded him either)

Think about it like this, De Laet has made 3 bad defensive mistakes, leading to goals. Morison had missed 2/3 good chances meaning no goals. If De Laet can be dropped, and seriously questioned without too much defence on his side (Although most people recognise he is probably a really good defender, he just can''t be classed as one until he cuts out the mistakes), essentially De Laet failed his duties, its like when a GK makes mistakes is very visible. To some people, thats what Morison has done as well, he''s failed to score and also because he doesn''t run around quite like Holt his performance doesn''t look as good, even if he is doing just as much (Like Chris Martin, some people fail to see what he does because he isn''t scoring).

We should all be happy we have won two in a row, after the loss to WBA, there were lots of worried fans, angry as well. But i think i said, that will all change if we beat Bolton and Sunderland, and it has. We have 7 different goal scorers, Morison is one of those and we should be happy we have two goal scoring strikers. Comments like the ones you quoted, probably come out of worry as much as anything, and we will see less rash comments like that for a while hopefully.

In the games I''ve seen he looks like an honest trier, probably not true Prem quality, but which striker is for less than 20million?

But he''s clearly the best man for the lone striker role in our excellent 4-2-3-1 formation (if only PL had listened to me at the start of the season, we could be top by now...)

More mobile than Holt, more presence than Jackson, more knees than Vaughan and more at the club than Cody.

He''ll do for me.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Its not pathetic, its someone''s opinion.

And to be honest, although i don''t fully agree I do understand where they are coming from.

If Morison had missed that header last night, and not had another chance to score, that would have been 3 or 4 very good chances to score that he would have missed, and you would have to be defending him based on little output. (But obviously he did score, which is great but that won''t instantly change everyone''s mind, some people don''t see much in Morison, I personally see him as just about good enough, but i certainly don''t rate him above Holt yet, but haven''t disregarded him either)

Think about it like this, De Laet has made 3 bad defensive mistakes, leading to goals. Morison had missed 2/3 good chances meaning no goals. If De Laet can be dropped, and seriously questioned without too much defence on his side (Although most people recognise he is probably a really good defender, he just can''t be classed as one until he cuts out the mistakes), essentially De Laet failed his duties, its like when a GK makes mistakes is very visible. To some people, thats what Morison has done as well, he''s failed to score and also because he doesn''t run around quite like Holt his performance doesn''t look as good, even if he is doing just as much (Like Chris Martin, some people fail to see what he does because he isn''t scoring).

We should all be happy we have won two in a row, after the loss to WBA, there were lots of worried fans, angry as well. But i think i said, that will all change if we beat Bolton and Sunderland, and it has. We have 7 different goal scorers, Morison is one of those and we should be happy we have two goal scoring strikers. Comments like the ones you quoted, probably come out of worry as much as anything, and we will see less rash comments like that for a while hopefully.[/quote]Questioning his goalscoring ability differs substantially from questioning whether a striker wants to score. Questioning his ability is different from calling him lazy. My main issue here is that his critics could make allegations but weren''t prepared to watch a 3 minute video which shows him get into positions that Grant Holt is, frankly, finding it hard to get into this season. It would 100% conclusively have at least put to the bed the ''not wanting to score'' allegation. Even if they were to respond with another criticism, they weren''t prepared to accept the opportunity to potentially acknowledge a single positive in his game. People had 5 hours between the thread and the game to say either "yes, he did well there", or "nope, sorry, still don''t see it", yet they were prepared to start and participate in a thread with the title ''Steve Morison is poor''. I don''t rate Morison above Holt either, never said that I have, Grant Holt is right up there with my favourite all time players. Holt did a fantastic job when he came on to waste time against Bolton, and was lucky not to get a chance on goal last night, he looked hungry. I suspect that Holt is desperate to take his chance, and wouldn''t rule out him keeping his place in the team above Morison. But I hope if that happens people will understand that without Morison playing well and keeping Holt out of the team, that hunger and desire might not be as prevalent. Holt has needed somebody capable of pushing onto the bench, and now he has it, I think it''s brilliant that we have somebody to push Holty and I wouldn''t rule out the possibility of us seeing a Holt who is better than ever when he returns. I think I did a good job of showing that he offers something to the team whether he is scoring or not, just like Grant Holt did early last season. That was precisely my point, he set up the Hoolahan goal, he set up the Pilkington goal.I think it all boils down to unrealistic expectations, before last night he had started two games and had two appearances as a sub, there are 38 league games in a year. If you look at how many goals strikers score at this level, expecting a goal in such a short space of time is way beyond what peoples realistic expectations should be. When the leading goalscorer last year scored around 1 in every 2 games, and I''m talking about top top players, world class players, the join top scorers were Tevez and Berbatov with 20 each. That''s £78m of transfer fees right there. Berbatov, £31m, Tevez £47m, that''s what you pay for a 20 a season striker.  To expect goals from Morison in two starts is just silly, that''s £2.5 million of footballer right there. If we have bought an 7 or 8 goal a year striker for £2.5 million, then anybody can do the maths there, it would be a bargain. Lot''s of people, not just me, have been saying that 8 goals from Grant Holt this year is a good return, and that''s true too. Look at the goal tallys last year:Drogba   12Rooney  11Hernandez 13K Jones 9Pavlyuchenko  9K Davies 9Ebanks-Blake 7If we are giving strikers two starts before calling them out of not scoring, almost every decent striker in the Premier League would be deemed rubbish. The list of strikers who are yet to score a goal is massive. We simply aren''t going to see Norwich strikers scoring 15-20 goals a season, and when you are writing players off after 2 starts that is precisely what some people appear to be expecting. At this level 1 in 3 is extremely good, but 1 in 4 can be considered decent. That''s the 9 or 10 that you can expect from people like Kevin Davies in a season, and the 9 or 10 that you can expect from Kenwyn Jones, that''s your 1 in 4. The defence is a completely different thing though gingerpele, surely you can see that? A goal conceded is the difference between needing to score 1 goal and 2 goals, it''s huge. Over the season it is probably the thing that enables you to stay in the league with your £2.5m strikers. Swansea have already kept 3 clean sheets this year, QPR have already kept 2 clean sheets. To me failing to keep a clean sheet is the same as failing to score, our first clean sheet will be very important physcologically, I''m crossing my fingers that it can happen at home to Swansea.There are actually only two teams in the league who have yet to keep a clean sheet, us being one of them. I''ll be celebrating that first clean sheet with a pint.

LeJuge, you''re often very annoying, but that is a great post.

The point about the clean sheets is a great one, and I''d agree that one vs Swansea would be a great step forward. One at Old Trafford would be all right, too.

To be fair, though, we''ve been playing all season with an injury crisis at centre-back. If you then add the penalties and sendings-off, perhaps it''s not surprising that we''ve yet to keep a clean sheet.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]In the games I''ve seen he looks like an honest trier, probably not true Prem quality, but which striker is for less than 20million?

But he''s clearly the best man for the lone striker role in our excellent 4-2-3-1 formation (if only PL had listened to me at the start of the season, we could be top by now...)

More mobile than Holt, more presence than Jackson, more knees than Vaughan and more at the club than Cody.

He''ll do for me.[/quote]Lol, whilst I was typing my huge reply you got in there with this. You are spot on. We aren''t going to get a 15 goal a season striker for £2.5m, the best that we can hope for is that a couple of our strikers manage to steal 6-8 goals each. Top five scorers last year:Tevez                          20 goals    £47mBerbatov                    20 goals    £31mVan Persie                 18 goals    £2.75m   (genius signing)Bent                           17 goals    £18mOdemwingie              15 goals    UndisclosedKuyt                           13 goals     £9mMalouda                     13 goals     £13mCarroll                        13 goals    £31m (after event, was youth product)DJ Campbell              13 goals     £1.25mJavier Hernandez       13 goals     £6mThe likes of Rooney, Torres, and Drogba aren''t even on the list. To expect any more than 1 in 4 from any Norwich striker is dream land fantasy football stuff. Occassionally you get a DJ Campbell or a Michael Ricketts punching above their weight, especially when playing a lone striker. Morisons 1 goal in 3 starts and 2 sub appearances is about as good as should expect from any of our strikers.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]In the games I''ve seen he looks like an honest trier, probably not true Prem quality, but which striker is for less than 20million?

He''ll do for me.[/quote]Lol, whilst I was typing my huge reply you got in there with this. You are spot on. We aren''t going to get a 15 goal a season striker for £2.5m, the best that we can hope for is that a couple of our strikers manage to steal 6-8 goals each. Top five scorers last year:Tevez                          20 goals    £47mBerbatov                    20 goals    £31mVan Persie                 18 goals    £2.75m   (genius signing)Bent                           17 goals    £18mOdemwingie              15 goals    UndisclosedKuyt                           13 goals     £9mMalouda                     13 goals     £13mCarroll                        13 goals    £31m (after event, was youth product)DJ Campbell              13 goals     £1.25mJavier Hernandez       13 goals     £6mThe likes of Rooney, Torres, and Drogba aren''t even on the list. To expect any more than 1 in 4 from any Norwich striker is dream land fantasy football stuff. Occassionally you get a DJ Campbell or a Michael Ricketts punching above their weight, especially when playing a lone striker. Morisons 1 goal in 3 starts and 2 sub appearances is about as good as should expect from any of our strikers. [/quote]Top 10 even!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]LeJuge, you''re often very annoying, but that is a great post.

The point about the clean sheets is a great one, and I''d agree that one vs Swansea would be a great step forward. One at Old Trafford would be all right, too.

To be fair, though, we''ve been playing all season with an injury crisis at centre-back. If you then add the penalties and sendings-off, perhaps it''s not surprising that we''ve yet to keep a clean sheet.[/quote]It would indeed, but don''t put any money on that one, we all know that Man Utd have that special agreement with referees at Old Trafford, the one which sees X amount of penalties awarded to them per year, and 0 against them.

Morison is clearly more effective in this league than Holt and if i''m honest i didnt expect this to be the case.Maybe I was nieve in thinking Holt would be a handful in the prem, but it is still early in the season. Last night Morison was quality, won so many more headers than Holt, he left his oponent in a heap on the floor most of the time after the header, a real physical presence and what a header for the goal, he had to generate the power himself, also what a cross!Althought Sunderland wer''nt great, we played very well and controlled the game IMO for large parts, very happy.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Morison is clearly more effective in this league than Holt and if i''m honest i didnt expect this to be the case.Maybe I was nieve in thinking Holt would be a handful in the prem, but it is still early in the season. Last night Morison was quality, won so many more headers than Holt, he left his oponent in a heap on the floor most of the time after the header, a real physical presence and what a header for the goal, he had to generate the power himself, also what a cross!Althought Sunderland wer''nt great, we played very well and controlled the game IMO for large parts, very happy.[/quote]Don''t write Holt off too soon, he got off to a slow start last season remember? Couldn''t stop scoring once he found his feet. What I would agree with is that Morison is more effective as a lone striker, I have never liked Holt in that role in any division, because of his tendancy to drift out wide. If Morison is our striker when playing one up front, and Holt is our big man when playing 4-4-2, then so be it. I''m writing off Vaughan as anything other than an ''option when fit'' which is what I said he would be when he signed. That leaves us with Morison, Holt, Martin, and Jackson. I think its clear that we will see Jackson get his chance at some stage, and if he takes that chance then we then have to work out whether he is most effective with Holt or with Morison. Holt offers a lot that Morison doesn''t, and I expect Holty to play just as much if not more football than Morison this year. Plus he was pure quality against Chelsea!