Sign in to follow this  
Tubbs & Edward

I expect better from Motty

Living down here in deepest, darkest Devon, I had to rely on Radio 5 live to provide the match commentary for last nights game.

Don''t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed our victory, but John Motson''s constant referral to Wes as ''Hooly-han'' really got on my wick.

The fact that he could easily correctly pronounce the Middle Eastern Sunderland players name correctly shows that unless you are a permanent fixture in the Prem, the broadcasters do little to find out about your players.

Like I say, other than that, I enjoyed the win immensely, but I really expected better from the senior statesman of BBC commentators.

Onwards & upwards

Last night I thought that it would be interesting to listen to the commentary from an outsiders point of view. However I soon gave up and returned to Radio Norfolk. Motson''s constant use of Hooly-han, the condescending way that we were treated spoilt the whole thing and his constant prattling on made me realise that he should be forcibly retired or euthanased. I can not get to see Norwich play due to work and family, but according to him and the rest of the media it seems that we won because Sunderland were "lack-lustre" or poor rather that any merits we might have displayed. It almost appears as if little Norwich aren''t worthy of playing in the promised land of the Premiership and the sooner we know our place and get relegated the better.

I''d try and avoid thinking commentators are all out to get Norwich.

Just wait until we get Paul Merson tracking one of our games on SSN on a saturday 3pm KO. He will not be able to pronounce Wes'' name for love nor money. I think you could pretty much include any footballer with a surname of 4letters or more in that. So Holt & Fox should be fine!

I think some points that norwich get this season will be when other teams don''t turn up or under estimate norwich''s work rate. Lets hope its alot of times, for our sake.

I would rather be in the premiership than any other league, to say otherwise is rediculous.

It amazes me that for that game and others like it, there would have been three BBC commentaries for it!It would seem that the BBC is rapidly becoming crap in being impartial about sport commentary. Saying that, they''ve been like it for years, come to think of it. Cab in ''92, we were top by 5+ points and it was always about "Man U are second...". We got the same treatment with Leeds in League 1 too.Idiots.

I listened to a bit of fivelive while at the game and actually thought they were pretty positive about us and the way we were playing. Claridge was raving about pilkington (understandably) and both main commentators, although saying Sunderland were poor weren''t saying that was the only reason we were winning.

And Hoolyhan was hilarious

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Last night I thought that it would be interesting to listen to the commentary from an outsiders point of view. However I soon gave up and returned to Radio Norfolk. Motson''s constant use of Hooly-han, the condescending way that we were treated spoilt the whole thing and his constant prattling on made me realise that he should be forcibly retired or euthanased. I can not get to see Norwich play due to work and family, but according to him and the rest of the media it seems that we won because Sunderland were "lack-lustre" or poor rather that any merits we might have displayed. It almost appears as if little Norwich aren''t worthy of playing in the promised land of the Premiership and the sooner we know our place and get relegated the better.[/quote]

Realistically, we will be "little Norwich from the sticks" until we have established and sustained a genuine foothold in the Premiership and that will take some time. If we avoid the drop this season then that will do wonders for our credibility.

Its not just Norwich names commentators get wrong, I remember listening to some commentary of a Chelsea game a couple of years ago, and Drogba being pronounced wrong constantly...