Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Change things against Man Utd?

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Is it a friendly on Saturday? Use it as a chance to see if untried players are any good?? Have you been sniffing lighter fuel this morning? The pnly chnage I would go for is Crofts in for Fox. Fox has been a star in the last two games but we''ll be under the cosh and dispossessing them will be the prime task. Mungo[/quote]Whether you like it or not, we will have no choice but to use those players this season. Our current centre midfielders are:Crofts, Johnson, Fox, HoolahanWe are playing three in the middle right now. If you think that we aren''t going to need to use Lappin, Smith, and Surman this year then it is you that is sniffing lighter fuel this morning!We have two wingers, plus Surman. If we get Pilkington injured then do we play the diamond? Or do we start trying Surman or Lappin on the left? If we get Bennett injured do we play Surman or Lappin on the left and Pilkington on the right? Or do we try and play Smith on the right? We just don''t have the luxury of a big squad, we actually have a very small squad. Lambert has said it himself, we need to use the entire 25. It''s no good getting to late November and early December when injuries and fatigue set in, having nobody with any minutes to bring into the team. I myself wouldn''t have expected to see Lappin this season, I''ve changed my mind by watching Surman. It''s not unrealistic for us to see 2 or 3 injuries in midfield at the same time, we have seen 3 injuries at centre back already. Let me give you a hypothetical scenario... in November, we find ourselves with Fox, Pilkington, and Crofts out injured. We need to pick an XI...... knock yourself out.... name your XI......As for the friendly bit, that''s just silly. It''s a well known tactic employed in this league, hence http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/15/premier-league-weakened-teams-hollowayNow, pick your XI.  [/quote]

Of course we will need to use our weaker squad members occasionally due to injuries, suspensions etc, but not all at once when we have no need to change a winning team. That''s crazy.  

[/quote]

Maybe it is crazy, I don''t know. My logic is to keep Swansea guessing.

Maybe playing Lappin and Smith was the crazy bit, maybe applying the same logic but bringing Crofts, Holt, and Jackson, into the side wouldn''t be so crazy?

I''d play Fox though actually, purely because it''s probably his dream to play at Old Trafford, having come through their system.

[/quote]

Its my dream to play at Old Trafford (for Norwich obviously) would you play me?

So much bad logic in your posts!

[/quote]You said yourself that you wouldn''t change a winning team, Fox was in that winning team. Yes I would play Fox because it''s against Man Utd, because he will be keen to impress, players always up there game against their former clubs.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I take an old school view on team selection - pick your best team every week (ideally the same eleven players week in, week out). And don''t change a winning team unless circumstances (like having to stand up to Man U rather than two of the division''s weakest teams) dicate otherwise.

Lappin, Smith and especially powder puff Surman are squad players who should only figure in the event of injuries suspensions forcing PL''s hands.

I''d go with:

Ruddy

Tierney

Barnett

Martin

Naugton

Pilkington

Crofts

Johnson

Bennet

Hoolahan

Morison[/quote]It would have been much easier for you to have said...... "I''d play the same team but swap Fox for Crofts".

Perhaps the only thing I would agree with you about is that we don''t have the luxury of a big squad and that we have a small squad.  

But after saying that we have a squad with as many players as other teams, the difference is the quality of the players that make it seem a small squad. All you have done is highlighted the players, although they have been important members of teams in the past, that simply are not, and probably never will be, Premiership players. Because of this it would be very foolish to play them in anything other than when we have to.

It is not just about the result at Man Utd it is also about the morale and the belief that the players are beginning to get. If Man Utd can blast eight past Arsenal what do you think they could do against a weakened Norwich City side ......... and what effect do you think that would have on the morale and belief of the other players on the pitch?

And Ritchie De Laet would not be allowed to play against his parent team anyway.

I think that we need both Crofts and Johnson, to shut Nani and others out, so Fox may be dropped.

I also think that although two wingers may get a start we may have only one striker, supported by Wes and the two wingers.

What I am talking about is a flattened diamond, or 4-4-1-1, I suppose.

No need to be negative, got to give MU something to think about.

4-3-2-1 for me.

Crofts, Johnson, Fox for solid midfield,

Bennet and Pilkington for pace on the break

with Morrison or the pace of Jackson up front.

Then plenty of options on the bench.

MU have been beaten at home before, usually by an unexpected side - why can''t we do it?