Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Drogba

Get off your high horse and try reading what I actually posted, I never said that Drogba had said he was "fearing for his life until he was told his neck wasn''t broken" I was actually quoting from a post by Bethnal Yellow and Green further up the page.

For the comment that it was only "mild concussion" I don''t think you realise how serious that can be.

In Ice Hockey it''s a massive problem that has ruined careers. Sure it''s a different sport but the injury is still the same only in Ice Hockey they take it much more serious. There''s a case now where on player who was injured all the way back in January diagnosed with "mild concussion" missed the rest of the season and is unlikely to make the start of this upcoming season next week because he also got Post concussion syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

There is also the fact that because he has now had one concussion he will be more susceptible to another, even an innocent clash of heads when challenging for a ball could bring on another concussion. Chelsea are doing the right thing and hopefully they will wait till he is fully recovered before he plays again.

I may not like him as a player but that doesn''t mean I want to see him retire because of concussion.

Davo

[quote user="Militant Canary"]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]We have soldiers fighting, losing limbs and lives, he should think himself lucky he was only knocked out.[/quote]

I''d like to start by saying that, as a soldier and a veteran, I find it increasingly annoying when the ignorant and inadequete doll out such comparsions to prove a point that is often ill-informed and insulting. Unless you''ve been there and done that, kindly shut the f**k up.

Secondly, as others have rightly said, Drogba is not a soldier and shouldn''t be expected to deal with such an injury with a simple shrug of the shoulders. I would like it on record that although we sign up to it and are informed of the realities of what we do from the off, there are still many who react to it in a negative way. More than you think, in fact. And, soldier or not, you still get worried when you are injured.

In Iraq, during my first campaign, I picked up some shrapnel from a grenade (I won''t bore you with the details of how that shrapnel wound up in my back). The injury was minor, however, and there was no lasting damage (lucky me). I was back on the line within the week (it hurt and it bothered me for many weeks following, but thats beside the point). Now, despite knowing the realities of combat, despite being prepared for the consequences, I was frightened- it was my back, afterall.

There are few things as disorientating as concussion. Especially if it wasn''t expected.

It should also be remembered that Drogba has malaria. I''m no expert, but as far as I''m aware the effects of the disease on the immune system complicates any medical condition or issues that he might have, even physical injury, like a concussion.

Lastly, and again as others have already said, Drogba is a great man and has done many things of enormous significance for his people. He is a living legend in his country for a reason! Frankly, he puts the majority of native British footballers to shame. Granted he is a big strong boy on a large salary who goes down like he''s been shot upon the merest suggestion of contact. However, is that really any different to nearly everybody in the Premier league? Its a reality of life in the PL that Norwich City are only just getting smart on.

Forgive the ''hollier than though'' rant. I was p**sed off by We are Yellows'' statement.

[/quote]

Be peed off all you like, rant away, my opinion will not change.  And I speak as someone who has lost friends fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, also as the daughter of someone who served in the RAF and the sister of a woman who proudly served in Northern Ireland.  If my opinion offends then tough, read it, move on, I don''t agree with a lot of things in life but I don''t feel the need to rant to the extent you have.  He''s not our player and I don''t admire him anymore than any other player for any other team.  I just found it staggering that shock headlines can be used like that when there are men and women dying who aren''t playing a sport they love and getting paid a fortune for it.

Sorry but concussion pales into insignificance when I see my friends triple amputee hubby in his wheelchair, proudly wearing his red beret.

Despite what has been said, by definition, a concussion is not a life-threatening injury, but it can cause both mild short-term and medium long-term problems if not dealt with properly (which he was), would I wish that on anyone, no, but it happens in every sport, every day to people in every walk of life.  Drogba is ok and lives to tell the tale, he must have been shaken up, anyone would be.  If Drogba still has malaria and still feeling the effects, then it begs the question as to whether he should or shouldn''t be playing.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Militant Canary"]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]We have soldiers fighting, losing limbs and lives, he should think himself lucky he was only knocked out.[/quote]

I''d like to start by saying that, as a soldier and a veteran, I find it increasingly annoying when the ignorant and inadequete doll out such comparsions to prove a point that is often ill-informed and insulting. Unless you''ve been there and done that, kindly shut the f**k up.

Secondly, as others have rightly said, Drogba is not a soldier and shouldn''t be expected to deal with such an injury with a simple shrug of the shoulders. I would like it on record that although we sign up to it and are informed of the realities of what we do from the off, there are still many who react to it in a negative way. More than you think, in fact. And, soldier or not, you still get worried when you are injured.

In Iraq, during my first campaign, I picked up some shrapnel from a grenade (I won''t bore you with the details of how that shrapnel wound up in my back). The injury was minor, however, and there was no lasting damage (lucky me). I was back on the line within the week (it hurt and it bothered me for many weeks following, but thats beside the point). Now, despite knowing the realities of combat, despite being prepared for the consequences, I was frightened- it was my back, afterall.

There are few things as disorientating as concussion. Especially if it wasn''t expected.

It should also be remembered that Drogba has malaria. I''m no expert, but as far as I''m aware the effects of the disease on the immune system complicates any medical condition or issues that he might have, even physical injury, like a concussion.

Lastly, and again as others have already said, Drogba is a great man and has done many things of enormous significance for his people. He is a living legend in his country for a reason! Frankly, he puts the majority of native British footballers to shame. Granted he is a big strong boy on a large salary who goes down like he''s been shot upon the merest suggestion of contact. However, is that really any different to nearly everybody in the Premier league? Its a reality of life in the PL that Norwich City are only just getting smart on.

Forgive the ''hollier than though'' rant. I was p**sed off by We are Yellows'' statement.

[/quote]

Be peed off all you like, rant away, my opinion will not change.  And I speak as someone who has lost friends fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, also as the daughter of someone who served in the RAF and the sister of a woman who proudly served in Northern Ireland.  If my opinion offends then tough, read it, move on, I don''t agree with a lot of things in life but I don''t feel the need to rant to the extent you have.  He''s not our player and I don''t admire him anymore than any other player for any other team.  I just found it staggering that shock headlines can be used like that when there are men and women dying who aren''t playing a sport they love and getting paid a fortune for it.

Sorry but concussion pales into insignificance when I see my friends triple amputee hubby in his wheelchair, proudly wearing his red beret.

Despite what has been said, by definition, a concussion is not a life-threatening injury, but it can cause both mild short-term and medium long-term problems if not dealt with properly (which he was), would I wish that on anyone, no, but it happens in every sport, every day to people in every walk of life.  Drogba is ok and lives to tell the tale, he must have been shaken up, anyone would be.  If Drogba still has malaria and still feeling the effects, then it begs the question as to whether he should or shouldn''t be playing.

[/quote]Uggggghhhh get over yourself.  And you have just ranted WAY.It''s all relative, but somehow these wars have made people lose all sense of relativity, any death is horrible but unfortunately it''s a potential threat in the job that people in the forces have taken on themselves to do.