Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Drogba

If I was offered £200,000 a week to play football but had to be knocked out once in a while, I don''t think there are many people in the world who would refuse!!

I know its the cool thing to hate drogba... but hes still a person, I dont think anyone on this message board would want to be knocked out like that and wake up in ambalance thinking you were still at a football match. Stupid statements about his wages and making comparisons to soldiers fighting is completely irrelevant, we could use that logic to say that anyone that gets hurt outside of a war zone should just ''get over themselves''.

Being unconscious for that length of time is very, very serious. If a person is out for more than 30 seconds, you better take them to a hospital, Being unconscious for that long often means brain damage could be involved. Some athletes have had to retire because of one concussion, that''s how serious things can get.

In all fairness despite his comment about being lucky to be alive he spoke positively about the quick reactions of players/staff etc and stated that Ruddy had rang him so the article didnt give any negative feelings towards Norwich/Ruddy - just one of those things but felt he was lucky to be alive - fair comment

I was at the game, and, much as I dislike Drogba, the sight of a player lying motionless for such a length of time with medics fussing around is not something I relish. The guy was clearly sparko when he hit the ground face first and could have done himself serious injury. Going up for a header then waking up in an ambulance would be a pretty unnerving experience for any of us, so he''s entitled to be a bit dramatic. I think he''s been pretty classy in the way that he''s dealt with it, unlike the prick of a Chelsea fan who was all over Twitter saying that the death sentence should be brought back for Ruddy''s "assault"!

[quote user="birchfest"]I know its the cool thing to hate drogba... but hes still a person, I dont think anyone on this message board would want to be knocked out like that and wake up in ambalance thinking you were still at a football match. Stupid statements about his wages and making comparisons to soldiers fighting is completely irrelevant, we could use that logic to say that anyone that gets hurt outside of a war zone should just ''get over themselves''.

[/quote]I''m glad I''m not the only one who thinks this, I can''t stand the ''well soldiers get far worse treatment'' spiel that is rolled out again and again.  It is their job, and they know the risks.  If I cut my finger off I''d moan about the pain etc because relative to my situation that would be serious.  Likewise if I was knocked out by a punch from a keeper.

[quote user="birchfest"]I know its the cool thing to hate drogba... but hes still a person, I dont think anyone on this message board would want to be knocked out like that and wake up in ambalance thinking you were still at a football match. Stupid statements about his wages and making comparisons to soldiers fighting is completely irrelevant, we could use that logic to say that anyone that gets hurt outside of a war zone should just ''get over themselves''. [/quote]Well said, the video on YouTube says all that you need to know about how bad it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSNMrcKR5QAnybody who sees the slow motion replay of his head bouncing on the floor and doesn''t consider that serious is clearly insane or lying. No doubt they would be calling Grant Holt the hardest man on earth if he played the week after that. Boxers have suffered brain damage from knock outs lasting less than 8 minutes, that''s a very very long time to be unconcious. Drogba is actually a very good bloke off the pitch, on the pitch he does what he thinks he has to do to win a game. That''s why they say that things which happen on the pitch stay on the pitch, unless you are trying to end peoples careers like Kevin Muscat, all Drogba does is go down easily.The wages argument is a stupid one too. I love the way that the man on the street always accuse the wealthy to be greedy, Drogba is a well known philantrophist who donates a lot of money. Generosity is relative. I know plenty of builders and office workers who are too greedy to buy anybody else a pint in a pub but wealthy enough to buy every release of the iPhone, there are greedy wealthy footballers and there are generous wealthy footballers. There are very few African footballers who fit into the former, most of them distribute a lot of their wealth to charity, very few British footballers would consider doing the same. Drogba made it clear that these things happen in football, and could quite easily of played the Arsene Wenger game of blaming everything on somebody.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Hospital reported that he had mild concussion ! [/quote]With the only other description of concussion being ''severe concussion'', which is a medical emergency and can often lead to long term effects on mobility, speech, and learning, effectively rendering somebody mentally and physically disabled, we should be thankful that Drogba did only suffer from ''mild concussion'' rather than an injury which could potentially have ended his football career. This is precisely why Drogba is grateful that his injury turned out to be fine, and precisely why John Ruddy bothered to phone him. Even mild concussion can result in a bad headache for a good few days, as bad if not worse than a migraine. Looking at that Drogba video, it was easily a big enough impact for him to experience bleeding in the brain, fortunately he didn''t. A bleeding brain can clot, which is effectively what a stroke is, the result of a clot of a brain bleed It really isn''t something to be mocked, any head injury can kill you or leave you disabled. We have seen enough people killed down Prince of Wales Road from a single blow to the head to know this in Norwich. The hospital would have given Drogba an emergency CAT scan to ensure that there was no bleeding, just as they would if you were knocked out for 6-8 minutes. Eight minutes is actually precisely the amount of time that Michael Watson spent without Oxygen after a head injury, until they get to hospital there is no way to know whether a brain is bleeding, Watson''s was, Drogba''s wasn''t (thank goodness). Watson sued because of this, the Oxygen could have enabled him to live the rest of his life with a far greater standard of health. This is why Drogba thanks the medical team for their quick response.

When have I said I hate DD? He is a very gifted footballer, who puts his all into matches for the Chelsea cause, however, all I''m saying is, that despite him being out for minutes, surely if it was ever life threatening, he would have not been released the same night, and back in training a couple of days later?

It''s worth remembering that when Drogba came round he was in a neck brace and told he might have a broken neck. I challenge you (despite how much money you earn) to not be scared if that happens to you.I guess when he was later told he didn''t have a broken neck that he stopped fearing for his life, but that instant reaction of not knowing where you are, having a neck brace on and team of doctors checking you is not pleasant at all.

Hmm, I thought Drogba came across well in this interview. I thought it was common knowledge that any head injury is potentially serious, so I could understand his concern at the time. He also did not place any blame on Ruddy whatsoever and simply thanked everybody involved, when he could have been much more bloody-minded about the whole thing.Yet still we have some people attacking him and comparing him to a solider? I appreciate it''s fashionable to dislike him, but I find some opinions are just a little bizarre.

Didier Drogba is a great man. No matter what you think of him as a footballer, as a human being he is inspirational.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201006050008.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/cotedivoire/8786803/Didier-Drogba-I-have-lots-of-studying-to-do-for-my-new-job.html

Do you think the rooney and the current crop of spoilt brats playing for our country would be capable of any such acts? I would very much doubt it, most are too thick and too selfish, and can''t even construct a proper sentence on MOTD, let alone mediate on a government event.

Maybe the only one would be Rio Ferdinand - I don''t like him as a player, but he seems to be aware that there is a world out there that doesn''t revolve around him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It''s worth remembering that when Drogba came round he was in a neck brace and told he might have a broken neck. I challenge you (despite how much money you earn) to not be scared if that happens to you.

I guess when he was later told he didn''t have a broken neck that he stopped fearing for his life, but that instant reaction of not knowing where you are, having a neck brace on and team of doctors checking you is not pleasant at all.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Had I been in his predicament I would have been frightened too. Some people deal much better with crises than others. I''m not sure whether I would have been talking about a near-death situation a couple of weeks or so after the event, though. He does tend to exaggerate things a little bit.

Drogba has become a victim of his own on field antics. He''s cried wolf once too often.It may have been a serious injury, but how often have we seen him go down like he''s been shot ? 

What has that got to do with anything Swindoncanary?

He was out cold for 5 or 6 minutes and could have suffered a very serious injury. Why are people being such idiots about the whole thing?

[quote user="I.S."]Hmm, I thought Drogba came across well in this interview. I thought it was common knowledge that any head injury is potentially serious, so I could understand his concern at the time. He also did not place any blame on Ruddy whatsoever and simply thanked everybody involved, when he could have been much more bloody-minded about the whole thing.

[/quote]

I thought it was a nice interview too, what else could he have said to make some people happy.

[quote user="ryan1992"]When have I said I hate DD? He is a very gifted footballer, who puts his all into matches for the Chelsea cause, however, all I''m saying is, that despite him being out for minutes, surely if it was ever life threatening, he would have not been released the same night, and back in training a couple of days later?[/quote]

You''re showing a lot of ignorance. Any blow to the head like that is potentially life threatening.

Watch the Michael Watson documentary being shown on Sky at the moment and tell me being out cold for 6-8mins isn''t serious and wouldn''t shake you up.

I''ve been rushed to hospital in an ambulance whilst wearing an oxygen mask due to ''mild concussion'' myself, but I wasn''t unconscious for nearly half as long as Drogba was, therefore it is no surprise to me that he was scared by the events. Thought he came across well in the interview.

Problem is that he goes down as if felled by an axe in most matches. This time it clearly was genuinely serious because instead of writhing around in apparent agony he really had been poleaxed.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]We have soldiers fighting, losing limbs and lives, he should think himself lucky he was only knocked out.[/quote]

I''d like to start by saying that, as a soldier and a veteran, I find it increasingly annoying when the ignorant and inadequete doll out such comparsions to prove a point that is often ill-informed and insulting. Unless you''ve been there and done that, kindly shut the f**k up.

Secondly, as others have rightly said, Drogba is not a soldier and shouldn''t be expected to deal with such an injury with a simple shrug of the shoulders. I would like it on record that although we sign up to it and are informed of the realities of what we do from the off, there are still many who react to it in a negative way. More than you think, in fact. And, soldier or not, you still get worried when you are injured.

In Iraq, during my first campaign, I picked up some shrapnel from a grenade (I won''t bore you with the details of how that shrapnel wound up in my back). The injury was minor, however, and there was no lasting damage (lucky me). I was back on the line within the week (it hurt and it bothered me for many weeks following, but thats beside the point). Now, despite knowing the realities of combat, despite being prepared for the consequences, I was frightened- it was my back, afterall.

There are few things as disorientating as concussion. Especially if it wasn''t expected.

It should also be remembered that Drogba has malaria. I''m no expert, but as far as I''m aware the effects of the disease on the immune system complicates any medical condition or issues that he might have, even physical injury, like a concussion.

Lastly, and again as others have already said, Drogba is a great man and has done many things of enormous significance for his people. He is a living legend in his country for a reason! Frankly, he puts the majority of native British footballers to shame. Granted he is a big strong boy on a large salary who goes down like he''s been shot upon the merest suggestion of contact. However, is that really any different to nearly everybody in the Premier league? Its a reality of life in the PL that Norwich City are only just getting smart on.

Forgive the ''hollier than though'' rant. I was p**sed off by We are Yellows'' statement.

"I guess when he was later told he didn''t have a broken neck that he stopped fearing for his life"

I can understand him being scared about the possibility that his neck is broken but fearing for his life is a bit OTT, it would greatly affect his lifestyle but he wouldn''t die from it.

[quote user="Harry"]"I guess when he was later told he didn''t have a broken neck that he stopped fearing for his life"

I can understand him being scared about the possibility that his neck is broken but fearing for his life is a bit OTT, it would greatly affect his lifestyle but he wouldn''t die from it.[/quote]You don''t just wake up from unconsciousness feeling completely normal like nothing had happened, he would have woken up completely disorientated and confused, come on get a grip.He woke up in an ambulance not knowing where he was, in his football kit, attached to oxygen, with paramedics looking over him. They were able to tell him that he had a broken neck, but I can assure you that they wouldn''t have been able to confirm that he wasn''t seriously injured until a CAT scan was performed. Have you ever been knocked flat out cold? If your saying that it wouldn''t have well and truly freaked you out then you are a downright liar. To wake up with no memory in an ambulance attached to oxygen would freak anybody out, whether you are a giant muscle man like Drogba or a dainty fairy like Alan Carr.

My point was fearing for his life until he was told his neck wasn''t broken was OTT, I wasn''t criticising Drogba and as I said in my post I can understand him being scared see what part do you have problem with?

[quote user="Harry"]My point was fearing for his life until he was told his neck wasn''t broken was OTT, I wasn''t criticising Drogba and as I said in my post I can understand him being scared see what part do you have problem with?[/quote]I can''t see any quote from Drogba which says that he was "fearing for his life until he was told his next wasn''t broken", can you see one? Have you read one? The exact quotes that I can see are:"Not playing was frustrating, but I was lucky I was still alive and I knew it was only a question of time and I''d play football again." - The Daily Mail"The most important thing is I''m alive." - The Sun"When I see those images again it''s scary. I was lucky, definitely". - The Sun"When I woke up in the ambulance I was scared because I didn''t know what I was doing there". - ESPN"When I saw the images I really understood why my parents, my family and close friends were very worried because it''s not something you see every weekend". - ESPNNow to me, that says that he saw the replay and realised how bad it could have been. That''s what I have a problem with, your making things up. The only thing OTT about this thread is people like you exaggerating things that Drogba has said, or worse even still, making them up. Now do a search for the following phrases on Google News:Drogba Broken NeckDrogba Neck BrokenNothing, zilch, the quote doesn''t exist. That is what I have a problem with. He has seen the video, the first time he could see what had happened, and realised how serious it could have been. He hasn''t said that he was worried about his life, he has said that he is lucky to be alive. But by all means play the game of Chinese whispers, I just find it pretty bloody sad and pathetic that you can''t read the articles properly. Drogba also perferated his ear drum. Have you ever perferated your ear drum? It can leave you seriously off balance, and can cause a long term or permanent problem. You probably didn''t know that, in fact definitely don''t, because you haven''t read the articles. You can''t join the police force if you have ever perforated your ear drum, because it is a permanent injury even when it heals up or is repaired.