Sign in to follow this  
OzCanary

Scowcroft

The Sun online are reporting that Worthy is signing Jamie Scowcroft for $500,000.

Please tell me that this is just a rumour that has got out of control.

Surely, if Ashton and Bent are out of our price range then someone like Harwood or Johnnson?? from Charlton would be a better pick.

Seems to me that Worthy and board are happy for one trip to the Premiership and get the balloon payments upon relegation.

Scowcroft is NOT the answer to our goal scoring problems.

Happy to be proved wrong though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

OzCanary I hope your price really is in Aussie $ ..... at current spot £202.7k and that is still over the odds for him!

This would be a terrible choice. 4 goals in fizzy league = 1 if lucky in this league. Waste of money- worse financially than stretching to buy a realistic goal scorer.

He better bloody not be signing Scumcroft. This would be the worst decision ever made in the history of Norwich City F.C. As vicar in green said 4 goals in fizzy league=1 goal if lucky in this league

The stats say it all.

games playes (in the last 4 seasons): 134

goals scored (in last 4 seasons):          29

goals per game:   a rather unimpressive 0.21

LAST SEASON IT DROPS TO:

games played: 36

goals scored: 5

which becomes 0.13

This club needs a striker urgently. Someone who scores goals.

Not another championship style player who will leave us in exactly the same position we are in now- only £500k pound shorter and with an extra bench warmer.

No thanks. He is nothing better than sven, Leon; possibly could be worse!

One quality player is worth more than several average ones.

The logic does not stack up for this one. Snowcroft is leaving Leicester because they are buying a supposedly better player from Hearts for less money.
If (De Vries (spelling?) is better then why don''t we get him instead of Snowcroft. Im sure that most players would think Norwich is a better bet than Leicester.

Much as I hate to say it, he might not be that bad a signing.

Personally I''d prefer we kept the half million and added that to our goalscorer funds, but I suppose Worthy doesn''t want to put all his eggs in one basket. If we paid 2mill+ for ashcroft and he was injured or a complete flop then we''d be no better off.

Scowcroft is an experienced player and has been in the battling situation before. Shame he played for Ipswich though. I''d much rather see Jarvis given a run in the team though.

JP

quote from today''s EADTs... scummers daily

The popular forward was also believed to be a target for Norwich City although Canaries boss Nigel Worthington last night dismissed a report claiming he had tabled a £600,000 bid for Scowcroft.

He said: "The Scowcroft situation was something we visited in the summer but have not revisited."

Link

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/sport/story.asp?datetime=06+Jan+2005+07%3A00&tbrand=EADOnline&tCategory=SPORT&category=IpswichTownFC&brand=EADOnline&itemid=IPED05+Jan+2005+22%3A47%3A01%3A367

Personally, I''ve always admired Scowcroft''s general hold up play and temperament and would see him as a reasonable acquisition at say £300.

But it can''t happen.

The sheer animosity witnessed on this board to someone who has strong Ipswich connections makes it untennable. The smallest mistake would generate massive anti- feeling which would affect him and the whole team.

Sorry, but rule it out.

Jamie was my tip for the January window, but he''d have to score a hat-trick every game to win over the City fans.

The thing that I don''t get is, last season Worthy and the board took a punt and spent more than they wanted to on Hucks and it proved to be a master stroke by providing the impetus we needed to secure promotion.

But, now, here we are in arguably the toughest league in the world and they will not structure or extend the budget for a proven goalscorer to help us staying in the Premiership for more than one season.

I dont think he is the answer but he fits the bill for a city target, not too old, some prem experience, affordable, likely to have something to prove and would want to come here.

My only doubt is whether he is any better than we already have, and given the fact I REALLY did not want Doc or Safri and both probably warrant a starting place in their positions at the moment (jury more out on safri than Doc) I will trust Worthys judgement.

Out of the summer signings only Gallacher looks like a mistake so far, despite their slow start to the season...

OTBC

did i have one glass of wine too many on new year''s eve and wake up on April 1?

scowcroft?  don''t make me laugh, i have a better strike rate than him!!

[quote]did i have one glass of wine too many on new year''s eve and wake up on April 1? scowcroft? don''t make me laugh, i have a better strike rate than him!![/quote]

Gazza,

Just one question, when you did wake up on April 1st were you still Robin?

Happy New Year to you and your Batman.

[quote]Gazza, Just one question, when you did wake up on April 1st were you still Robin? Happy New Year to you and your Batman.[/quote]

no CA

the costumes went back after the new year!!

is it not april then?

[quote]no CA the costumes went back after the new year!! is it not april then?[/quote]

gazza,

Yes ,must be April 1st because several posters think Hucks is leaving us but you and I know better dont we?