Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Steve Morison is poor

[quote user="NWC"]I have to agree with lincoln. I was never quite sure of this signing anyway - I wasn''t sure if he would give the team anything different. I didn''t like the fact that he came here with the whol;e "i just wanna play in the prem" rather than the "I wanna play for NCFC or Lambert". He was good against Wigan, but that was mainly due to most others being poor. His work rate isn''t that good - I don''t think he closes defenders down with any real conviction - he just seems to be going through the motions. More importantly he hasn''t scored, and he has missed a couple of sitters. Don''t get me wrong - I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?[/quote]

Why would he say that he want to play for NCFC? he has no connections to the club, fans, manager or area, of course the only reason he joined us is because we are in the PL! If we were still in League 1 or even the Championship, there is no way on earth he''d have joined us! As I said earlier in this thread, I feel he has a lot to offer, but not on his own upfront. Holt or Vaughan alongside Morison can cause any defence in the League a lot of problems after a bit of time. (he threatened the Chelsea defence when he was with Holty). I think once he opens his account with NCFC we could have a half decent striker here, who, in the current market wasn''t exactly expensive for a center forward in the PL!

He is certainly disappointing at the moment, rarely having an attempt actually on goal.

He has the qualitites of Holt, - willingness to run all day, and take on big CDs, but Morison is noticeably quicker, if not with lightning pace.

What he seems to lack, especially with that actual control and turn at Bolton which left experienced defenders lost, is finesse - to finish cooly and well.

Whether he will develop and acquire greater accuracy, I have no idea, but if I had to put my faith in any one it would be Vaughan or Martin C, who have both managed to get on target. Vaughn''s injury record may defeat him, however.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="LeJuge"]

I think everybody on here knows that I have too much to say about some of my own opinions, but even I am miffed by how anybody can have such strong opinions on a player after 2 starts and 2 sub appearances. I''m undecided, but I''m prepared to wait a fair bit longer for any player to make such a jump, including some of those who were already at the club. We have paid a fair bit of money for Morison, but that''s the strikers premium. I don''t think that I will ever consider him a waste of money even if he doesn''t ''make it'' in this league, because he has done enough in the league below to recoup at least £1m if we stay up, and if we go down this year then having Holt and Morison at the club is effectively like holding a return ticket to the Premiership.I can''t say that my very early ''opinion'' - if I even have one - includes the words ''lazy'' or ''lightweight'' though. If he doesn''t turn out any better than Grant Holt then that''s not testimony to any lack of ability on behalf of Morison, but more testimony to how important Holt is to our team. Morison has looked far from lazy, and for me he was one of the shining lights against Wigan. None of our strikers have nailed their place yet, we also have Jackson to throw into the mix at some stage. I expect that by Christmas we will have two strikers who sit at #1 and #2 in the pecking order, and that those strikers will be any two out of Morison, Holt, Vaughan, Martin and Jackson. The first two will need to up their game, Vaughan will need to stay fit, Martin will need to find his shooting boots, and Jackson will need to take his chance when he gets it. We don''t need all 5 to hit top form, I''m pretty confident that at least 2 or 3 will, that doesnt take anything away from the other 2 or 3, because this is a squad game and not a team game with Lambert. If one player is sitting on the bench all season, then it means a player on the pitch is keeping him out of the team. At this stage, and I''m sure many people will agree with me here, we don''t have a striker who has made himself indispensible at this level like Holt did in the level down. [/quote]

True enough, although it is still early. We haven''t actually scored a proper goal in open play yet, as opposed to those handed to us by goalkeeping errors. Perhaps that will change tonight. My suspicion is that Lambert earmarked Vaughan as the nearest thing he has to a pure goalscorer. Holt and Morison being to a greater or lesser extent target men. And Vaughan has only played around 35 league minutes so far. Him staying fit would be handy.

[/quote]If Vaughan stays fit I think he will score goals, and I suspect his perfect strike partner would be either one of Holt or Morison. That said though, I''m not ruling out Simeon Jackson. If our strikers struggle for goals, and he takes his chance and shows that he knows where the goal is again, he could end up being important for us again this year. In terms of goals, the only one that I have my doubts about is Chris Martin, but I think that is a confidence thing which can only really be fixed by letting him go out on loan somewhere to score some goals. It''s been a long time since he found the net, we know that he can do it, his all round game is fantastic - just looked reluctant to have a pop in his two starts this year.

[quote user="Salopian"]He is certainly disappointing at the moment, rarely having an attempt actually on goal.

He has the qualitites of Holt, - willingness to run all day, and take on big CDs, but Morison is noticeably quicker, if not with lightning pace.

What he seems to lack, especially with that actual control and turn at Bolton which left experienced defenders lost, is finesse - to finish cooly and well.

Whether he will develop and acquire greater accuracy, I have no idea, but if I had to put my faith in any one it would be Vaughan or Martin C, who have both managed to get on target. Vaughn''s injury record may defeat him, however.[/quote]Steve Morison         11 shots (3 on target)Grant Holt                5 shots (2 on target)James Vaughan         1 shot (0 on target)Simeon Jackson       4 shots (1 on target)No stats available for Chris Martin, but the one decent chance that I can remember him having was straight at the keeper after he hesistated. It''s interesting that you, like most other people, continue to forget about Simeon Jackson. He was one of the most deadly strikers in the Championship last year in terms of number of shots required per goal, he needed about 4 chances to score. Why do people write off Simeon Jackson? He came off the bench to score in a World Cup qualifier not long ago, did you see the goal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHHs6pFjuM

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]Shove that in your pipe and smoke it lincoln. Won''t be long until we have a negative thread from you which criticises the club or the players though, you never have anything good to say.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]

Regretting this post now I bet!

[quote user="NWC"]I have to agree with lincoln. I was never quite sure of this signing anyway - I wasn''t sure if he would give the team anything different. I didn''t like the fact that he came here with the whol;e "i just wanna play in the prem" rather than the "I wanna play for NCFC or Lambert". He was good against Wigan, but that was mainly due to most others being poor. His work rate isn''t that good - I don''t think he closes defenders down with any real conviction - he just seems to be going through the motions. More importantly he hasn''t scored, and he has missed a couple of sitters.

Don''t get me wrong - I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?[/quote]After creating the Hoolahan goal against Wigan that earnt us a point, setting up the Pilkington goal against Bolton, and scoring the decider today, it''s time to admit that you, sir, are an idiot. "I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?" - What a cretinous, scummy, pathetic, and weak comment. Disgusting accusation, call yourself a City fan, pah. Who needs fans like you.

[quote user="TheJarrold"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]

Regretting this post now I bet!

[/quote]I doubt it, he hasn''t shown any signs of remorse or regret at the other dozens of overly negative ill-informed nonsense that he has shared on here, he will lick his wounds for two weeks and then come back with another crap thread just like this when he picks his next victim of unwarranted and unfair criticism.

No not regreting anything, I stand by what I said. Morison played well tonight, but let''s not get carried away Sunderland were awfull especially at the back. For me he still struggled, especially up front on his own and against most over defences (as proved already) he will not get a sniff at goal. I hope I''m proved wrong but Morison will score 7-8 goals max.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="NWC"]I have to agree with lincoln. I was never quite sure of this signing anyway - I wasn''t sure if he would give the team anything different. I didn''t like the fact that he came here with the whol;e "i just wanna play in the prem" rather than the "I wanna play for NCFC or Lambert". He was good against Wigan, but that was mainly due to most others being poor. His work rate isn''t that good - I don''t think he closes defenders down with any real conviction - he just seems to be going through the motions. More importantly he hasn''t scored, and he has missed a couple of sitters.

Don''t get me wrong - I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?[/quote]After creating the Hoolahan goal against Wigan that earnt us a point, setting up the Pilkington goal against Bolton, and scoring the decider today, it''s time to admit that you, sir, are an idiot. "I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?" - What a cretinous, scummy, pathetic, and weak comment. Disgusting accusation, call yourself a City fan, pah. Who needs fans like you. [/quote]Yes it was a good goal and he played ok - but there is no need to get on your moral high horse spouting vitirol at me, thank you.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]No not regreting anything, I stand by what I said. Morison played well tonight, but let''s not get carried away Sunderland were awfull especially at the back. For me he still struggled, especially up front on his own and against most over defences (as proved already) he will not get a sniff at goal. I hope I''m proved wrong but Morison will score 7-8 goals max.[/quote]8 goals is a good return for a player in his first season in the prem, in a ''lower'' (supposedly) class team!

Morison was absolutely brilliant tonight. How easy do you think it is to play the role he did tonight for the benefit of the team? Plus capped it all with a great header which the National media are drooling over as classic centre forward play.

[quote user="ricardo"]I strongly disagree. I think the guy shows a lot of promise and suspect he will be hailed as a new hero before the season is out.[/quote]

Ricardo spot on again.

Had a inkling before the game that Moro would get his name on the scoresheet, thought he had a decent game took his goal well but I do think he lacks an extra yard of pace as demonstrated when he almost broke away one on one. But other than that, never ceases to unimpress me.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]No not regreting anything, I stand by what I said. Morison played well tonight, but let''s not get carried away Sunderland were awfull especially at the back. For me he still struggled, especially up front on his own and against most over defences (as proved already) he will not get a sniff at goal. I hope I''m proved wrong but Morison will score 7-8 goals max.[/quote]

Lol - Holt also played. Holt is my hero he got us to where we are and will always be a legend, but hey Morison can do everything that Holt can and is considerably quicker. If Morison scores 8 goals that will make him one of the Premierships top scorers - not many get double figures at this level and most of those play for the likes of Man U Chelsea Arsenal ect.

We must move on and do what is best for our club. Lets face it up until now we hardly won without Holt in the team - unfortunately for him the reverse is now true and we win when he is not playing. 

Happy he got a goal but not so happy regarding the over hype.He still has not impressed me overly much and think he looked stranded a lot of the time as lone gunman. He lacks that burst of pace that was needed however I do like the way he cuts round players to reach the ball.Time will tell with Morrison but he has yet to impress me.That said, Holt looked offpace and Martin lacks pace to be lone striker. With Jacko in full headless chicken mode last game and Vaughen''s cheese knees I grudgingly admit he is first choice right now.Still, credit where credit is due, a well taken header.Just his overall game not really doing it for me as yet !

[quote user="lincoln canary"]No not regreting anything, I stand by what I said. Morison played well tonight, but let''s not get carried away Sunderland were awfull especially at the back. For me he still struggled, especially up front on his own and against most over defences (as proved already) he will not get a sniff at goal. I hope I''m proved wrong but Morison will score 7-8 goals max.[/quote]

I thought either you were the biggest plonker ever to appear on this Forum or a motivational genius. Sadly, I think I really knew which one it was. All you can now say about a highly valuable three points is "Sunderland were awful". I''m sorry, but you really are an idiot. For lightweight read strong, for slow read quick and for lazy read hard working. Why do you think their defence struggled? Because they couldn''t cope with him.

[quote user="NWC"]I have to agree with lincoln. I was never quite sure of this signing anyway - I wasn''t sure if he would give the team anything different. I didn''t like the fact that he came here with the whol;e "i just wanna play in the prem" rather than the "I wanna play for NCFC or Lambert". He was good against Wigan, but that was mainly due to most others being poor. His work rate isn''t that good - I don''t think he closes defenders down with any real conviction - he just seems to be going through the motions. More importantly he hasn''t scored, and he has missed a couple of sitters. Don''t get me wrong - I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?[/quote]

So you''re the person that disproves the saying "there''s always one". We''ve got two on here - you and Lincoln.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I thought that this thread was nothing more than the typically spiteful stuff we''ve seen from Lincoln so often but then I read NWC''s comments.and just don''t understand what is going on. Yes, we''d all like Steve to score some regularly and yes he has still to set the Wensum alight with his brilliance but it is early days and he is making a huge adjustment. But, the lazy tag and the going through the motions comment as so wrong as to be ridiculous. I first noticed against Real in the friendly just how much work Morison puts in and he''s done it everytime since. Watch Morison when the ball is with Ruddy or being passed across the back four. He is not static, lazy or going through the motions. He is moving across the opposition back four looking for space and opportunity. He is constantly looking for the right place to be available for the pass. I know it is hard for some on here to watch what is happening away from the ball but Morison''s movement is as good as any we''ve had for a very long time. He needs more ends results and that is not just down to him. I expect the team to aclimatise to each other in the next few games and once Fox etc. know where to find him, we should start to see more from him. But to call him lazy is just illinformed and unjustifiable[/quote]

I think you are being very kind. I would call it ignorant.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Le juge permanently sits on his high horse spouting so called morale bull sh1te he believes in. If he doesn''t believe it it ain''t true and everyone else is wrong. Le juge you are not the judge you are infact an antagonising little sh1t.[/quote]

perhaps you would be happier trading in your Yellow & Green for Blue & White and supporting the Binners?

....most of us would want you to!

What were you saying Lincoln? [:)]

Lincoln, I think you were wrong to jump on Morison so early, he''ll be great for us this season as my local M''wall mates told me in the summer.

However, I will absolutely back your comments on Le Juge...what an annoying lil'' sh1te he is...I skip past his comments now as I find hes all p155 and wind and seems to enjoy the sound of his fingers tapping away more than have any care for the substance of his words. An absolute ar5e! Rockets straight to the top of the doosh pile ahead of some posters who''ve been fighting out top spot for eons! Le Juge, its not worth replying to this if you''re aiming it at me...I wont read it...my laptop has a yawn filter.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Lincoln, I think you were wrong to jump on Morison so early, he''ll be great for us this season as my local M''wall mates told me in the summer..[/quote]

I agree, didn''t he work his socks off , hope he starts against Man Utd on Saturday, he deserves it. [:)]

No doubt we will keep play with same system and with lone striker Moro is the best solution in this area.

Its simillar with Holt but no doubt he reacted a bit better a bit quick is and not have problem who Holt have if try make dribble with ball to jump over the ball.

I see Holt unhappy soon with his role play 15 min to waste time but that is reality at the moment.

Shame but think Vaughan reaction mean we must forget him for long time who is realy disapointed because the boy was full of entusiasm and passion last weeks and now all again happen....

Still we are short of some positions and hope international break after man u game to help at inj front

All in all very very imp 3 pts against relagation team who at the moment Sunderland look like

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Le juge permanently sits on his high horse spouting so called morale bull sh1te he believes in. If he doesn''t believe it it ain''t true and everyone else is wrong. Le juge you are not the judge you are infact an antagonising little sh1t.[/quote]It isn''t the first time that you called something completely out of tune with your fellow fans. In your last thread you advocated dropping Marc Tierney.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Lincoln, I think you were wrong to jump on Morison so early, he''ll be great for us this season as my local M''wall mates told me in the summer.

However, I will absolutely back your comments on Le Juge...what an annoying lil'' sh1te he is...I skip past his comments now as I find hes all p155 and wind and seems to enjoy the sound of his fingers tapping away more than have any care for the substance of his words. An absolute ar5e! Rockets straight to the top of the doosh pile ahead of some posters who''ve been fighting out top spot for eons! Le Juge, its not worth replying to this if you''re aiming it at me...I wont read it...my laptop has a yawn filter.[/quote]You wot? You wot? You wot, You wot, You wot, You wot?