Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Steve Morison is poor

I would like to see him being a bit more positive. However, I thought he was good against Wigan and the turn he made to get his shot in at Bolton was excellent, Bolton player touching the ball just before he shot, which made it go wide. But I agree he could do more.

Maybe just a confidence thing?

I strongly disagree. I think the guy shows a lot of promise and suspect he will be hailed as a new hero before the season is out.

hmm, I must have been watching different games to you. He''s pretty quick, not Jackson quick but certainly not slow. He''s runs all game and get stuck in. He needs to take his chances but hopefully that will come in time. The only moment I''ve been really disappointed in him was when he broke away at Chelsea but took too many touches giving Terry time to get back.

That said I''d like to see Vaughan start tomorrow.

he has had some good chances but not scored; not sure he has missed many more chances than holt, has been more moible and concedes fewer free kicks soo possession than holt.

when he played alongside holt he looked far superior, and has an assist from the wigan game

am sure he will improve

the squad has room for them both - not sure i see much difference in the two

Way over the top critiscism there I think!

Morison has to improve without a doubt but has shown promise. Hes strong and despite what you says has pace which is why is was preferred to Holt in last weeks formation. His finishing needs to improve cause hes had more chances than anyone, not scored yet and I''m sure Holt would of put at least one of Morisons chances away. But its encouraging that hes getting chances, if he wasn''t it would be more of a concern!

Morison together with Holt, Vaughen and Jackson will be our mainstays upfront unless we get anyone else better!

he should never be in the team at Holt''s expense, however in the brief glimpses we''ve seen of both of them together i.e Wigan & Chelsea, theyve looked a useful partnership and I cant understand why it hasnt been played more often?

I don''t think he looks slow or lazy - I think he''s put a good honest shift in every game he''s played in so far.  Yes he''s missed a couple of chances but once he gets his first goal (tomorrow, I hope) he''ll get that bit of extra confidence and kick on from there.

I was disappointed with him at the Reebok, BUT, I feel he would be a much better player if he had somebody upfront with him for a match. He was running the channels well, and coming out wide to recieve the ball, but there was nobody in the box to cross it too, so he had to hold it up and go backwards a lot to find support, making him look ''negative''.

I disagree. He looks keen to get stuck in to me - far from lazy. As it goes with all strikers they just need the goals to prove themselves. I wouldnt like to comment yet on tho as to who I think is our best attacking option as some we havent seen enough of and people like Holt will grow into this league...

[quote user="lincoln canary"] and for a big guy remarkably lightweight.  [/quote]

I think Morison would/will benefit from a run of games and I think he''ll show himself to be a good signing once he has a better understanding with his new colleagues.

However, I would agree that he has been pushed/shrugged off the ball a bit too easy so far. But then I do think that''s something he''ll get to grips with, in this league basically all of the defenders are big, strong and quick.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]

I think this is the most ridiculous post that I have read in a long time. It does not even deserve a response.

Just needs a few prem games (and goals!) to settle. Remember Jackson after last year, scored two then everyone was saying not good enough for the championship, too lightweight, doesn''t take his chances, falls over too much. Lead us to promotion after a couple of months and goals. Give the poor bloke a chance! Not been bad at all, spurred a couple of good chances, but has been physical and I think he should get bonus points for looking like an absolute nutter! He''ll come good in the end.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]

I think this is the most ridiculous post that I have read in a long time. It does not even deserve a response.

[/quote]But you gave it one anyway!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Im sorry but I''ve got to say how dissapointed i am in Morison. He looks slow lazy and for a big guy remarkably lightweight. I hope Lambert restores Holty to tomorrows line up. Any one else agree he looks like a flop in the making??[/quote]I think everybody on here knows that I have too much to say about some of my own opinions, but even I am miffed by how anybody can have such strong opinions on a player after 2 starts and 2 sub appearances. I''m undecided, but I''m prepared to wait a fair bit longer for any player to make such a jump, including some of those who were already at the club. We have paid a fair bit of money for Morison, but that''s the strikers premium. I don''t think that I will ever consider him a waste of money even if he doesn''t ''make it'' in this league, because he has done enough in the league below to recoup at least £1m if we stay up, and if we go down this year then having Holt and Morison at the club is effectively like holding a return ticket to the Premiership.I can''t say that my very early ''opinion'' - if I even have one - includes the words ''lazy'' or ''lightweight'' though. If he doesn''t turn out any better than Grant Holt then that''s not testimony to any lack of ability on behalf of Morison, but more testimony to how important Holt is to our team. Morison has looked far from lazy, and for me he was one of the shining lights against Wigan. None of our strikers have nailed their place yet, we also have Jackson to throw into the mix at some stage. I expect that by Christmas we will have two strikers who sit at #1 and #2 in the pecking order, and that those strikers will be any two out of Morison, Holt, Vaughan, Martin and Jackson. The first two will need to up their game, Vaughan will need to stay fit, Martin will need to find his shooting boots, and Jackson will need to take his chance when he gets it. We don''t need all 5 to hit top form, I''m pretty confident that at least 2 or 3 will, that doesnt take anything away from the other 2 or 3, because this is a squad game and not a team game with Lambert. If one player is sitting on the bench all season, then it means a player on the pitch is keeping him out of the team. At this stage, and I''m sure many people will agree with me here, we don''t have a striker who has made himself indispensible at this level like Holt did in the level down.

I have to agree with lincoln. I was never quite sure of this signing anyway - I wasn''t sure if he would give the team anything different. I didn''t like the fact that he came here with the whol;e "i just wanna play in the prem" rather than the "I wanna play for NCFC or Lambert". He was good against Wigan, but that was mainly due to most others being poor. His work rate isn''t that good - I don''t think he closes defenders down with any real conviction - he just seems to be going through the motions. More importantly he hasn''t scored, and he has missed a couple of sitters.

Don''t get me wrong - I want him to get better and score for us, but does he?

To be fair the whole forward line needs to improve in terms of finishing.

Trues Morison has missed a few chances, especially the header against WBA, but he is the only one who seems to be getting into these area''s and positions.

I am sure when he get one he''ll get a few.

I thought he was outstanding in the game at Wigan and when he went off so did our hopes of winning the game in my opinion.

Certainly not slow or lazy I am sure he will prove a decent buy come the end of the season.

[quote user="ricardo"]I strongly disagree. I think the guy shows a lot of promise and suspect he will be hailed as a new hero before the season is out.
[/quote]I agree with Ricardo

I think he has done ok, certainly better than I expected as he does not look out of his depth in this league. I am concerned about Jackson though, he eventually started to show his class and at one stage seemed to have the midas touch but with a player like him he needs conficence which can only come from games, I really thought he would have got more of a chance this season. Still a lot of games to play though so hopefully our strikers will start firing, whoever plays.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"][quote user="ricardo"]I strongly disagree. I think the guy shows a lot of promise and suspect he will be hailed as a new hero before the season is out.[/quote]I agree with Ricardo[/quote]I agree with you and Ricardo.

[quote user="ricardo"]I strongly disagree. I think the guy shows a lot of promise and suspect he will be hailed as a new hero before the season is out.
[/quote]

I agree with that [:)]

I thought that this thread was nothing more than the typically spiteful stuff we''ve seen from Lincoln so often but then I read NWC''s comments.and just don''t understand what is going on.

Yes, we''d all like Steve to score some regularly and yes he has still to set the Wensum alight with his brilliance but it is early days and he is making a huge adjustment.

But, the lazy tag and the going through the motions comment as so wrong as to be ridiculous. I first noticed against Real in the friendly just how much work Morison puts in and he''s done it everytime since. Watch Morison when the ball is with Ruddy or being passed across the back four. He is not static, lazy or going through the motions. He is moving across the opposition back four looking for space and opportunity. He is constantly looking for the right place to be available for the pass.

I know it is hard for some on here to watch what is happening away from the ball but Morison''s movement is as good as any we''ve had for a very long time.

He needs more ends results and that is not just down to him. I expect the team to aclimatise to each other in the next few games and once Fox etc. know where to find him, we should start to see more from him.

But to call him lazy is just illinformed and unjustifiable

[quote user="LeJuge"]

I think everybody on here knows that I have too much to say about some of my own opinions, but even I am miffed by how anybody can have such strong opinions on a player after 2 starts and 2 sub appearances.

I''m undecided, but I''m prepared to wait a fair bit longer for any player to make such a jump, including some of those who were already at the club. We have paid a fair bit of money for Morison, but that''s the strikers premium. I don''t think that I will ever consider him a waste of money even if he doesn''t ''make it'' in this league, because he has done enough in the league below to recoup at least £1m if we stay up, and if we go down this year then having Holt and Morison at the club is effectively like holding a return ticket to the Premiership.

I can''t say that my very early ''opinion'' - if I even have one - includes the words ''lazy'' or ''lightweight'' though. If he doesn''t turn out any better than Grant Holt then that''s not testimony to any lack of ability on behalf of Morison, but more testimony to how important Holt is to our team. Morison has looked far from lazy, and for me he was one of the shining lights against Wigan.

None of our strikers have nailed their place yet, we also have Jackson to throw into the mix at some stage. I expect that by Christmas we will have two strikers who sit at #1 and #2 in the pecking order, and that those strikers will be any two out of Morison, Holt, Vaughan, Martin and Jackson. The first two will need to up their game, Vaughan will need to stay fit, Martin will need to find his shooting boots, and Jackson will need to take his chance when he gets it.

We don''t need all 5 to hit top form, I''m pretty confident that at least 2 or 3 will, that doesnt take anything away from the other 2 or 3, because this is a squad game and not a team game with Lambert. If one player is sitting on the bench all season, then it means a player on the pitch is keeping him out of the team.

At this stage, and I''m sure many people will agree with me here, we don''t have a striker who has made himself indispensible at this level like Holt did in the level down.
[/quote]

True enough, although it is still early. We haven''t actually scored a proper goal in open play yet, as opposed to those handed to us by goalkeeping errors. Perhaps that will change tonight. My suspicion is that Lambert earmarked Vaughan as the nearest thing he has to a pure goalscorer. Holt and Morison being to a greater or lesser extent target men. And Vaughan has only played around 35 league minutes so far. Him staying fit would be handy.