Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Make Bradders Captain.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Why on earth would you take it off Wes? 2 games as captain, 2 wins and 2 fine performances.[/quote]

Just my opinion, Wes doesn''t fit the Captain image.......SORRY.

What do you mean give BJ the captaincy so Wes can do his own thing? Have you seen Wes''s last 2 games? Possibly 2 of his best performances in NCFC colours! Plus at this level, it shouldn''t matter whoi wears the armband, there should be 11 leaders on the field in the yellow.

R.Martin was vice captain last year, so I was a little surprised to see Hoolahan walk out with the captain''s armband against Bolton, but I guess Lambert just thought Hoolahan would be more likely to start games than R.Martin and wanted a more consistent replacement when Holt isn''t on the pitch. Regardless of who is captain though, as Lambert would say - they give us everything they''ve got on that pitch, and that''s all that matters.

...I should add though, if R.Martin keeps up his great form at CB, then he may well feature more than many first thought after he lost his RB place to Naughton.

Maybe when he''s played a bit more for us. I actually think being captain will help Wes keep disciplined and make sure he''s always got his eye on the game. He''s moved on from a typical show pony with no defensive game to a much more complete player who must be a real pain in the arse to play against.

Being captain suits this

There is more to being a captain than ''rallying the troops'' or shouting and screaming. The best captains have a fair amount of football intelligence as well so that they can truly be their managers voice out on the pitch. I played alongside plenty of blokes when I was younger who the average football fan would consider ''captain material'' but whose motivational techniques seemed to consist of bellowing ''Come on lads, we''ve got to want it more than them'' and other such nonsense. Not that I''m suggesting that Bradley Johnson would fall into this category.

Two games and two wins for Captain Wessi. He''ll do for me [Y]

[quote user="ryan1992"]What do you mean give BJ the captaincy so Wes can do his own thing? Have you seen Wes''s last 2 games? Possibly 2 of his best performances in NCFC colours! Plus at this level, it shouldn''t matter whoi wears the armband, there should be 11 leaders on the field in the yellow.[/quote]

Gary Neville said pretty much the same about the United teams he first came into. It didn''t matter who the captain was because you had Schmeichel, Pallister, Bruce, Parker, Ince, etc, etc all leading the team in the right direction.

I''m interested in your view of the captain''s role Wiz because this obviously coincides with your view of who the captain should be. Are you a fan of the captain being someone who leads by example? A model professional who people on the pitch look up to because they do all the right things? Or are you more of a fan of the leader style captains who often aren''t the best players on the pitch but can drive people to run through walls for the team either through intimidation or respect? Or the older statesman / experienced style captain who has seen it all and just commands respect and a desire to please from his players.

I think a good captain has to have it all and as a sense am not sure about Johnson getting the armband just yet. I''m also not a fan of when players get made captain when they first get to a club but I guess that''s down to leading by example and having more experience. (i.e Joey Barton at QPR or when Bellamy went to Cardiff)

For me the players that have at least some semblance of each in that they lead by example, seem to have leadership qualities, and is experienced within the club are Hoolahan, Holt, R. Martin, and Drury. I think if performances continue over the next few years Johnson, Tierney or Fox could make good captains. I don''t believe you have to be a shouty captain if you can dictate how your team plays, change games, and be relied on to guide if things aren''t going right.

I agree WLTFO.  alot depends on the team''s mentality.  for example, a very different captain was needed last time we were in the premiership than this current squad.

and i think it''s safe to say R Martin ''captained'' the defence on Monday.  I didn''t go to Bolton but vs Sunderland you could see him directing the back four, communicating a lot with Ruddy and Fox, etc..and very much lead the defensive part of our game, leaving the attacking side to Hooly

Good captains are those that lead by example and Wes has certainly fitted that bill in the last two games. His energy levels are unbelievable and he certainly does his fair share of defending as well as attacking. PL very rarely gets it wrong, and funny old thing he seems to have got it right again.

Wessi being captain obviously hasnt had a negative effect so I dont see a need to change it. Also I think a player should earn a right to be a captain and personally I dont feel Johnson has been here long enough to earn that credit.

[quote user="San Miguel"]

I agree WLTFO.  alot depends on the team''s mentality.  for example, a very different captain was needed last time we were in the premiership than this current squad.

and i think it''s safe to say R Martin ''captained'' the defence on Monday.  I didn''t go to Bolton but vs Sunderland you could see him directing the back four, communicating a lot with Ruddy and Fox, etc..and very much lead the defensive part of our game, leaving the attacking side to Hooly

[/quote] this is why i think it will be very hard to drop him now, emerging as a first rate centre-back and leader off the defensive line. why did posh let him go? obviously no judge of talent or potential at that club.