Sign in to follow this  
smooth

R. Martin has the potential at centre back...

to develop into a fantastic player.

I felt that his performace at Bolton was great but last night he was superb with two very different forwards.

He leads that backline, is vocal, his timing of the tackle is very good and his pace is vital. Certainly I agree that his move into space for our second goals was brilliant from a centre back. Managers from across the league will be looking at R. Martin.

Playing every game last year, scoring goals, great at crossing and link up play. Now two games in the Prem at centre half and looking very comfortable and assured.

Great stuff from the pants man. Potentially a very big future and if he continues in this form he will have suitors in the summer.

I agree. I am so pleased that he has been given a second chance as I felt being dropped after Wigan was fairly harsh when up against Victor Moses who would have caused problems to any defender. After his work rate last season its great to see him making a stand in this league :)

I think ''has potential to be a fantastic centre back'' should read ''is a fantastic centre back''.

He is to my mind already fulfilling his potential. Top defender and good on the ball.

His ability, leadership qualities and consistency have been second to none since he joined City, whatever league it is. More power to him.

I loved his forward runs last night. Bringing the ball out through the midfield really seemed to unsettle sunderland - he just let him go. Had a big hand in the 2nd goal.Very Ferdinand-esque - back when RF was good!!!

Hats off to Lambert for putting his trust in Martin at centre-back.

With Tierney, Naughton and Martin part of the back four, Norwich must have one of the most forward-thinking defences in the Premier League. You certainly wouldn''t have seen Kompany, Lescott, Ferdinand or Vidic making the counter-attack that led to Russell''s shot/pass across the area at 2-0!

Fantastic performance right across the back-line last night....long may it continue.....

Watched him last night, and wondered who we have that could have done a better job if fit.He gave so much, he won balls in the air, good tackling, good distribution, genuine pace and I have rarely seen anyone break from the centre of defence so quickly and confidently to assist Tierney in setting up the second goal.  I think he just stunned Sunderland with that run.I am a big fan of Whitbread, and to a lesser extent Ward.  De Laet has made a few to many mistakes but still looks class.But I genuinely don''t believe any of those players could provide a more convincing all round performance than Martin last night - surely he would have to make some big mistakes to be dropped even when the other centre backs are fit!

Had a very impressive game when he covered at cb last year (can''t remember who against) and has looked superb in the 2 games against better opposition.

Could be a future long-term captain if he keeps this up and really cements a place at cb

Bar the one mistake at Bolton which led to their penalty, Russell Martin has been superb at CB!

Whats impressed me most is bar the above mistake Martin hasn''t been afraid to boot the ball in to the stands if in any doubt!

Lambert shouldn''t be scared to keep him in the team at CB when others come back from injury cause he deserves to stay in!

[quote user="NWC"]I loved his forward runs last night. Bringing the ball out through the midfield really seemed to unsettle sunderland - he just let him go. Had a big hand in the 2nd goal.Very Ferdinand-esque - back when RF was good!!![/quote]

I remember one really good burst that reminded me of M Sammer back in the day. Caused havoc and I would have thought lambert liked that as he played with Sammer in the dortmund cup winning team.

There was that fantastic challenge in the second half as the Sunderland player pushed beyond our back line. Martin ran alongside and still challenged him with a perfectly timed tackle in our box.

He could be that one player who brings our whole back four up a level, very impressed and I believe he has the opportunity to make that position his own.

I thought all 4 defenders were fantastic against sunderland on monday night and it became evident, especially in the second half that sunderland just had no clue how to break them down.