Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Simeon JACKSON, this is your chance...

I hope that the fella is given the opportunity to prove himself, he had a brilliant end to last season and i believe he could do the job that we bought Vaughn to do. I hope he is working hard on the training ground and proving himself to gain a place on the bench?

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I hope that the fella is given the opportunity to prove himself, he had a brilliant end to last season and i believe he could do the job that we bought Vaughn to do. I hope he is working hard on the training ground and proving himself to gain a place on the bench?[/quote]Couldn''t agree more! Let''s give him a go.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I hope that the fella is given the opportunity to prove himself, he had a brilliant end to last season and i believe he could do the job that we bought Vaughn to do. I hope he is working hard on the training ground and proving himself to gain a place on the bench?[/quote]Agree completely, he deserves his chance and I hope it comes. A lot of people disagree unfortunately, but for me personally he is the most clinical of all our strikers.

good player but unfortunally i believe he is a bit like earnshaw, needs 20 chances to score 1 ( bit of an exaggeration) : >) something you don''t get in this league.

[quote user="yellowarmy"]

good player but unfortunally i believe he is a bit like earnshaw, needs 20 chances to score 1 ( bit of an exaggeration) : >) something you don''t get in this league.

[/quote]

Couldn''t be further from the truth. He was one of the most clinical strikers in the Championship last year, he needed about 4 chances to score a goal. Somewhere on this board I have shown how he needed less chances per goal than any of our other 5 strikers did last season, all of them, Holt, Morison, Vaughan.

Last season:

Earnshaw - 76 shots, 41 on target, 12 goals  (6.33 shots per goal)

Jackson - 58 shots, 27 on target, 13 goals (4.46 shots per goal)

OK, yes the boy deserves a chance. But there is one major problem which I believe Lambert has spotted, as have I and many fellow fans.

Simeon "one touch" Jackson, is exactly that. A one touch wonder. This, in many ways, is an asset for a striker blessed with pace and who can get on the end of good balls, Portsmouth for example, and great in League one and the Championship. But, and it''s a very big but, that is his whole game! If he''s not taking a shot, his first touch is dire and his control of the football woeful. Unfortunately this is not good enough for the Premiership.

Have a look back at all of his goals last season. Apart from the foot in to steal the ball from a Scunthorpe defender in the 6-0 game, every goal is one touch. If he needs two? He''s basically screwed.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="yellowarmy"]

[/quote]

Couldn''t be further from the truth. He was one of the most clinical strikers in the Championship last year, he needed about 4 chances to score a goal. Somewhere on this board I have shown how he needed less chances per goal than any of our other 5 strikers did last season, all of them, Holt, Morison, Vaughan.

Last season:

Earnshaw - 76 shots, 41 on target, 12 goals  (6.33 shots per goal)

Jackson - 58 shots, 27 on target, 13 goals (4.46 shots per goal)

[/quote]

I did say bit of an exaggeration, how many attempts on goal did we get last night? i believe it was 7 with 4 on target. Going by your calculations if he would have had all our attempts last night, he would have scored 1 goal. Just goes to show we are lacking in the goal scoring dept unfortunally.

I have no doubt he will get his chance, but while things are working at the moment, why change things?

I am afraid I have not seen enough of Jackson to say he can perform at the level earnie has for so many years. Jackson had a ratio of 1 goal for every 3 clear cut chances at Gills, he struggled with any impact here at the start of the championship season. But yes he ended the year on a high and a genuine threat as our style of play changed. If he can find that form then he is a a valuable asset when we need it most.

Now is his time though, he will have game time and he will have an important role to play. So good luck Simeon.

I hope Vaughan isn''t out too long and that Jackson can have an impact, if he does not and Vaughan is out for longer. Then in January we will be looking for a striker.

But he knows that and now he has a time to play in the prem. for a team that can still create in this league.

[quote user="Scooby"]OK, yes the boy deserves a chance. But there is one major problem which I believe Lambert has spotted, as have I and many fellow fans. Simeon "one touch" Jackson, is exactly that. A one touch wonder. This, in many ways, is an asset for a striker blessed with pace and who can get on the end of good balls, Portsmouth for example, and great in League one and the Championship. But, and it''s a very big but, that is his whole game! If he''s not taking a shot, his first touch is dire and his control of the football woeful. Unfortunately this is not good enough for the Premiership. Have a look back at all of his goals last season. Apart from the foot in to steal the ball from a Scunthorpe defender in the 6-0 game, every goal is one touch. If he needs two? He''s basically screwed.[/quote]

Unfortunately I think you are correct, and I will add that he is weak on his left foot when he gets a chance having seen him fluff shots with that foot, and also poor with his head.

If you''re saying that Jackson deserves a chance because of what he did last season, then he can get to the back of the queue that contains a striker that got 23 goals and was named in the PFA Championship team of the year !!!!

[quote user="hogesar"]Jacksons better than cody though Paul moy[/quote]

It''s a matter of opinion but Cody is definitely better in the air than him. I''ll leave it there !!  [:D]

Surely no one can begrudge him of a chance, his form in the close of last season was fantastic. Opinions aside, it will obviously be upto his training ground attitude?

I rate Jackson, and last night some of the through balls we were playing would of been perfect for him!! He would of left bramble in his dust.

I feel sorry for him at the mo, because i think he should of been in-front of Vaughan for the time being, but now hopefully he will get his chance :)

I really like Jackson - his only weakness is his lack of height, as far as I can see! He obviously can''t do anything about that, and I''d like to see him play. We know he has pace and is very determined, he deserves a chance to show his skill.

Simmo hasnt really been given the opportunity to prove himself yet at this level so it would be unfair to judge. I hope IF he is given the nod he is able to take his chance to prove himself. I feel a little sorry for him after his surge of goals at the end of last season.

He certainly deserves his chance, but like it or not, if Vaughan''s injury is serious, he''s all we have aside from Holt and Morison at Striker. He will get his time in the lineup for sure, but we are thin now at striker. Lets hope he can deliver, otherwise we might be paying inflated January pricing for more than just fullbacks.

Jackson offers us pace in behind and would have caused Sunderland all sorts of problems in the closing stages last night. I know thats what Lambert hoped to do with Vaughn last night, but Jackson deserves to gets his chance and is used to how we play.

Its a rather sour point with me that Jackson hasn''t had verry limited opprtunities while Chris Martin whos a lesser striker has had more!

Jacksons got to get a chance now that Vaughen looks like hes going to be out for a long while!

I think Jackson will get his chance at some stage. I believe that Lambert is trying to be fair and give everyone a good chance to show what they can do in the premiership, that''s why he chose to give CM a run of games at the beginning of the season. Like last saeson Jackson will geta chance at some stage and it will be up to him to take it.

Personally, I think he could do well but the team will have to make sure they play to his strengths so he is not chasing lost causes all the time. He is still a great finisher as shown at the end of last season. Good luck to him.

Just got back from the Reserve match.

Doubt you will be seeing Jacko for a bit, he was in full headless chicken mode tonight and subbed off. Utter rubbish.Wheelie even scored one for crying out loud !!After that performance would say that he is fighting for Wheelie for last place striker :-/

Jackson''s goals per shots ratio is so good because he misses even contacting the ball to have the shot in the hardest chances, which don''t show up in those stats.

This is especially galling when if he made contact it would be a tap in, as it frequently was.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Just got back from the Reserve match.

Doubt you will be seeing Jacko for a bit, he was in full headless chicken mode tonight and subbed off. Utter rubbish.Wheelie even scored one for crying out loud !!After that performance would say that he is fighting for Wheelie for last place striker :-/[/quote]Trying to hard [:(]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Just got back from the Reserve match.

Doubt you will be seeing Jacko for a bit, he was in full headless chicken mode tonight and subbed off. Utter rubbish.Wheelie even scored one for crying out loud !!After that performance would say that he is fighting for Wheelie for last place striker :-/[/quote]Trying to hard [:(][/quote]Yeh poor bloke was all over the place.... but not in the right place :(He will get the full respect deserved as it was him that sealed our auto promotion. But he has A LOT of work to do before he can even make the bench after last nights performance :(