Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sunderland

Ricardo loves an omen and he thought he saw one tonight on the stroll to the match as a strange craft with flashing lights drifted overhead. "It''s a sign we are going to win" I exclaimed. To which my son replied, "It''s the Sky blimp you silly old fool".Anyway it was an unchanged team for once that kicked off towards the Barclay and apart from a couple of minutes of keep ball from Sunderland It was City that held the early ascendancy. Morison had a low shot well saved and then Wes really ought to have done better than lob well over the bar when a lighter touch would have brought an opener. Sunderland looked neat and tidy in possesion but there was very little of a cutting edge in the early stages. A series of corners kept the pressure on and Morison was doing really well in the lone striker roll. Twice he almost pounced on back passes as the Sunderland keeper was forced into a hurry up.It wasn''t until 20 minutes on the clock that Sunderland had their first effort at goal when Bendtner''s cut back was blazed high and wide by Gardner. This was Sunderland''s best period and on 25 mins Bendtner had a smart turn and shot palmed away well by John Ruddy. City were soon roaring back as Pilkington and Bennett both had good runs and crosses that had the Sunderland rearguard at full stretch. On 31 mins a corner was only half cleared and Fox combined nicely with Bennett who centred low for Leon Barnett to crash in the opener. It was no more than City deserved and they continued on top for the rest of the half.Sunderland tried to force the pace from the off but City came storming back winning a corner on the right. Suderland struggled to get it away but City won it again on halfway as Russell Martin stormed into space with a thirty yard run before slipping it wide to Tierney who provided a perfect cross for Morison to nod the second past Mignolet, in fine style. The crowd were now in full voice as City were first to every ball and in the next 15 minutes Bennett, Pilkington and Morison again with a strong run all went close.Sunderland made a couple of changes, Wickham came on to a storm of abuse and they pushed forward for a while but the City back four largely looked well in command. Holt and Vaughan came on for Pilks and Morison (who received a well deserved ovation for a tireless performance). Then just when it seemed a first clean sheet was on the cards Richardson on the left of the box whistled in a low skimmer that crashed into the far corner. It was all hands to the pump thereafter. I didn''t see what happened to Vaughan but he limped off in pain with 5 mins of added time left. Sunderland launched high balls into the box but the magnificent Barnett and Martin were equal to everything. The seconds ticked agonisingly by but at last a great roar greeted the final whistle and a well deserved 3 points.The entire defence was superb tonight and restricted Sunderland to very poor fare. Barnett was my MOM for a fine goal and a commanding display that rarely gave Bendtner a look in. If I give him 9 out of ten then everyone else deserves 8 because it was a really encouraging team performance tonight and it certainly gives Ricardo plenty of confidence that we can live with most in this league.

Comparing this game to the poor effort against West Brom the difference for me was clear.

West Brom were allowed to defend with their backs to their goal ie comfortably in front of themselves whereas the system PL used against Sunderland (and Bolton beforehand) meant the opposition defenders were turned and forced to run back towards their own goal.

We played some excellent balls into channels to complement some very good runs and thus got behind the opposition. It is always harder to defend when running back to your own goal and Sunderland were seldom allowed to do this to us.

All the reports say how poor Sunderland were but, again as with Bolton, the closing down by Norwich played a large part in this.

Bradley Johnston is doing a real solid job in the centre and the partnerships of Bennet and Naughton and Pilks and Tierney are not only attacking well but defending as units. This is allowing Fox and Wes to express themselves.

I think we have arrived at our starting set up and again - like my old song adaptation it is:

''Loosely, in disguise, a diamond.''

Good report Ricky.

I don''t know why this game was not on Fox Soccer Channel who chose to repeat a Saturday game, but thanks to Ricardo I now feel like I watched the game instead of getting play updates on web via i-pod.

What does your cat say about next game? We''ve got momentum, they''re losing form, and Old Trafford will be a sea of NCFC colors.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I don''t know why this game was not on Fox Soccer Channel who chose to repeat a Saturday game.[/quote]It was cuz ESPN 3 had it as there live game.(Watched it on me Xbox.)

Cheers Ricardo, I agree with most of that...but my MoM was Tierney, closely followed by Barnett. I really like Tierney''s commitment and it was on show again against Sunderland.

Just wanted to add my thanks to those of others on here. I don''t make it to many home games because I live so far away so I always look forward to reading your reports Ricardo.

I agree with all that Rude, especially liked this bit.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

''Loosely, in disguise, a diamond.'' .[/quote]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

What does your cat say about next game? We''ve got momentum, they''re losing form, and Old Trafford will be a sea of NCFC colors.[/quote]Thanks Houston, Snowy the Cat has been quiet of late but judging by a couple of half eaten mice on the patio this morning I think he could be working up to a big prediction.I''m not sure if he''s trying to say we''ll get a 1-1 draw or we are going to get eaten alive.Its all in the interpretation Houston. LOL

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Cheers Ricardo, I agree with most of that...but my MoM was Tierney, closely followed by Barnett. I really like Tierney''s commitment and it was on show again against Sunderland.[/quote]Yes ROB, it was a difficult one to pick because so many of them had a good game. I just thought Barnett just edged it with his domination of Bendtner but I woundn''t disagree that Tierney went very close. Its nice when you can make a case for so many of them in one game.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Isn''t the ''lone striker roll'' more of a Grant Holt thing? ;-)

[/quote]Der...... Roll / Role......Sorry for that Chunky, it could be a new dance craze maybe.Its this bloody 8pm kickoff. I don''t get home until 10.45 and Ricardo''s brain is getting a bit tired by then