Sign in to follow this  
bananaman

Who has seen Ashton play?

Ok, so it looks like we''re trying our best to get him.

But can someone tell me what he''s like?

Is he quick? Does he play with his back to goal? What''s his touch like? Can he dribble, or pass? Is he a poacher, or a goals-from-nothing type? Does he need service?

From what i have seen of him in the past he''s not very quick. Is a big lad but not really a target man in the iwan type of mould. Crewe fans have said he''s not great in the air. Is technically very good on the floor though and basically he is a damn good finisher who will put the ball in the net if given a chance.

I have only seen him against us last season. He (and Steve Jones looked good too) impressed with good movement and first touch and a lot of strength. Good in the air and physically big built he gave Malky and Flem a lot of problems. Not the quickest, but not as slow as Sven, and had two good feet.

He is much more in the Iwan mould rather than an Andy Johnson but should do a good job at the point of our preferred 4-5-1.

OTBC

Great player.  Great touch, eye for goal.  Not going to get goals by beating players or by using his pace but class finisher.

Techinically good player from what i have seen. No he isnt the quickest but he is very very strong and not frightened to use his strength to keep people away from him and to get the ball off them!

Okay, I''m really chuffed we might sign Ashton but I''m getting a little worried by peoples descriptions of him. He''s not just some lumbering lout we can pump long balls at is he? People are making him out to be in the Geoff Horsfield mould and that would be useless as these sort of players never work in the Premiership. Please tell me this is not the case...

My brother''s got some mates who are Crewe fans, and they think he''s pure class...

No offence BIC, but a lot of Norwich fans think Edworthy is great, and they also think Helveg is rubbish.

Sometimes fans talk rubbish.

According to the Crewe website, Dario Gradi says this would be a good move for Ashton as its time he tried himself out in the Premiership .

He also says that they have had no other offers for him and no one else has recently made any enquiries for him so lets hope this is all to our benefit.

Read some of this season''s "Match Reports" from the Crewe site. While it is clear that speed is not his strength he appears to have presence in other ways. Here''s an excerpt from the game Crewe played at Wolves:

"Dutifully watched by the usual plethora of scouts, Ashton played to his typical level of expected brilliance; nonchalantly brushing aside defenders with multitudes of Premiership experience between them.

Whilst his strike partner Mark Rivers was struggling to trouble a quick, if immobile, defence, Ashton''s clever play was a real highlight of an otherwise turgid first half".

I for one, have watched Dean Ashton alot ever since he was 17 at Crewe. Never thought we would get to sign him as he is gonna be a top player. When he first broke into their team he scored a goal a game and Man Utd and Arsenal sent scouts down to watch. He then, due to being in a struggling team at a young age didn''t score loads but has come back last two years to prove what a good player he is and is gonna be a top player. How can someone compare him to Geoff Horsfield? Yes he has Horsfields size but has an awesome touch and is a great finisher with either foot. People are right hes not lightning quick but have watched carefully and hes not that slow either. He gets in behind defences to score goals and a player was sent off the other day for bringing him down when clean through. He is a current under 21 international and we of all clubs should know u don''t get in the england squads unless you''re proper good if at a ''less fassionable'' club. I believe he will come here and be a great player for us and eventually will go for big money, mark my words. I''m not saying he will keep us up but in the long run this is a great investment to buy one of the only buyable top english talents around. He will be a a big strong lad who scores goals for us and since i''ve been watching we always need one of those and struggle without one ie after Sutton left eventually replaced with Ward, after Ward went until we signed Iwan and hopefully fingers crossed we will now have Ashton.

Come on Deano, come and join us!!!!!

This sounds really good!

Now all we have to do is sign Dennis Bergkamp for £400k like i did on City Club Manager

Thanks for that Pottsy - got the old adrenalin pumping now!!!!

Radio 5 are reporting this as a ''done deal''.... hope this gives us good reason for optimism!!

I wasn''t comparing him to Horsfield - I just thought some of the views of people just made him out to be big and strong and it worried me a little that he was just a big lad with no real pace or ability - which I hoped wasn''t the case (I personally know very little about him). I''m sure he''ll be quality and fingers crossed he''ll bang in the goals to keep us up.

Come on Deano!!

I don''t like him! He makes me panic, flapping around like a girl that''s late for a night out and hasn''t put her make up on yet and someone is in the shower.

But that''s just me! I was trying to make the point that fans are not necessarily the best judges of players that play for their team. Another example would be the "Hucks for England" talk that was on this board a year or so ago. I mean he''s good, but England?!?! I don''t think so...

actually b-man, i think the hux for england shout had real resonance for a few reasons:

a. any other position except left side of midfield and hux has no hope to compete with the likes of rooney, lamps etc. but since england suffer badly there, hux had a shot. you wouldn''t try hux over bridge in that position?
b. moot point now that downing has emerged. there''s no contest between him and hux. that boro kid is dead good.

a lot of worse players than Hucks have played for England simply because they played for the right club.

Maybe i am biased but in their current situation, they could do a lot lot worse than play Hucks on the left midfield.

That''s proved my point!! Listening to fans talk about their players can be slightly misleading.

Yes, you are biased. Hucks is nowhere near good enough to play left mid for England. Maybe up front, if he''s on mega-form, and there are a lot of injured Enlgish strikers.

Sorry Darren. Sorry y''all.

"Whilst his strike partner Mark Rivers was struggling to trouble a quick, if immobile, defence..."

That sound familiar doesn''t it?

ok...not to beat a dead horse here but i''m curious, bananaman, which left-sided midfield players would you put above huckerby to play for england?

i would say:

a. stewart downing
b. gareth barry

not sure who else. if you give cole or bridge a try in left midfield, you gotta consider hux as well don''t you? but if not, who else? let''s also try to avoid putting players out of position as well.

another prime example to me, i would NEVER put owen hargreaves in that position before hux, or any number of other players.