Sign in to follow this  
barclaystand

Fans Re-United @ Plymouth... A City fans view

As we weren''t playing yesterday I decided to head down to Plymouth for their ''Fans Re-United'' day. I wanted to give a bit of support as they''re trying to raise the profile of Plymouth Argyles current plight and to raise a bit of money to pay their staff and players who haven''t been paid properly for months. (Remember if we''d stayed in League 1 it could well have been us in need.)Anyway putting any politics about how well any club is (or isn''t) run to one side I thought the idea of loads of different clubs fans all turning up to the same game wearing their own colours, to help a club in need sounded too good to miss. So I decided to make the long trek down to Plymouth. I must admit I didn''t quite know what to expect.Even on the train I was welcomed by Plymouth & Brighton fans. Had a good walk to Home Park with some of them too.As we walked across the car park I was then approached by a guy who had seen that I''d tweeted I was going down there.''You must be Keith, do you mind if I take your picture'' he said with a smile. Turns out he''s Sparsky, BBC Devon''s equivalent of Chris Goreham.I had bought a ticket to their ''Fans Fest''. A pre-match entertainment event in a marquee by the ground, organised by the fans to raise money for Argyles staff (and players I think). £25 bought me a match ticket along with entry to the fans-fest and included a pie & pasty. Bargain price, especially compared to premier league prices!Well I''ll never forget the welcome I got in that marquee. It was already packed out, mostly Plymouth and Brighton fans. I had to get my free pint from a bar outside at the back, and as I walked through the crowd I have never been made so welcome anywhere, ever.Literally dozens of handshakes, pats on the back, smiles and people thanking me for turning up and supporting them.I''ve never had so many people offer to buy me a pint either. You can certainly say those Plymouth fans are a friendly bunch.There was a band & comedians on, I think they''re all Argyle fans too. I must say they were brilliant. They had the place in stitches of laughter.Spoke to fans from Plymouth, Brighton, Crawley, Bristol City and Tottenham to name just a few. Once the Fans Fest was over we all headed into the ground. My package included a seat in the Grandstand. An old stand, but more comfortable and a better view than many newer grounds I''ve visited.Anyway as I got to my seat, what''s the first thing I see just one row back and 4 seats along? Yes you guessed it, a bloody Ipswich fan!The Plymouth fan who had walked with me to my seat did a great job of reminding us that the day was about fans coming together for the day, and twisted our arms into having a picture taken together. Cue some good humoured banter between us both, and a big cheer from everyone around us as we posed for the picture. (did I really just admit that on the pink-un?) First half of the game sitting in the Grandstand was enjoyable, huge cheers from around the ground as Argyle went one nil up in the 20th minute. The Barclay boy in me couldn''t help but wish I was in the Devonport end as it looked like one hell of an atmosphere in there. So at half time I asked a friendly steward (they were all friendly to me) if I could get into the Devonport end for the second half.A quick chat over his radio later and he gave me the good news, with the very understandable ''Well we wouldn''t normally do this, but on this occasion, as you''ve come all this way to support us, you can''.So off into the Devonport I go. I''d barely been in the Devonport for a minute, still standing at the front, eating another pasty whilst pondering where to sit when over the pa system they announced something along the lines of  ''A big hello to Keith who''s come down from Norwich today. Thankyou for your support.'' To my suprise most of the Devonport end start waving at me, how cool was that!I''m then greeted by the other City fan there, called Mark I think, who lives down that way. He tells me there''s a spare seat next to him, so I take up his offer in time for the second half.I thoroughly enjoyed the second half. Non stop singing with a fantastic atmosphere created by the mixed bag of fans present. Argyle got a second in the 53rd minute and kept a clean sheet too! A great result for the boys down there.It was a good honest game of football, didn''t notice any cheating or diving. You could see the Plymouth players really wanted to work hard for that win. I thought the ref had a fairly good game too, far better than any ref we''ve had so far this season!I had countless more handshakes and thankyous on the way back to the Station. First part of the train journey was great too, chatting and singing with a bunch of Plymouth & Brighton fans. When they got off at Exeter station a load of the Plymouth fans were singing ''Norwich, Norwich, Norwich'' to thank me for my efforts. Top marks and thanks go to them.Absolute favourite part of the day for me had to be when the whole of the Devonport end were on their feet singing ''Stand up, for the Norwich fan''. We all ended up singing ''Stand up, for the football fans''. Awesome, I''ll never forget that!There''s a youtube clip of it here Gives an insight into how good the atmosphere was. 6005 people singing like 25000!All in all it was one hell of a good day out. I know of over 40 different clubs represented by their fans. One of my all time favourite football experiences. They''re doing it again for their next home game against Accrington Stanley on 8th October. Its the international break for us and I''m seriously thinking of going again. If you''re a fan of football as a whole, not just the premier league, then I really recommend going on the 8th. I think it''ll be even bigger and better!More info on fans-reunited site here and my thread on pasoti here with alot of Pilgrims showing their appreciation.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Sounds like a great day out, did Luke Daley play ?[/quote]Yes he did. Had a decent game I think. Would have been great if he''d scored!

[quote user="Kathy "]Great read Barclay Stand. Thanks for that and representing us all.[/quote]No worries, took me ages to write that, almost as long as the trip to Plymouth! Was proud to represent us down there, and they really appreiciated it.Did stand out a bit in the bright yellow shirt!

I have a secret love for Plymouth Argyle.

Firstly they have one of the best names.

I have followed them ever since my sister was around 18 so over a decade. Geographically they are a bit like us although for them most away games are probably a lot further considering they are more out on a limb so to speak.

One thing no one can deny is the friendliness and noise level of their support - especially away from home.

I went to see them play at Barnet about 8 or 9 years ago now and the fans literally blew the roof off. Non-stop chanting and noise, not sure the Barnet fans knew what had hit them.

I hate to see them down there like that, especially when only a couple of seasons ago they were doing pretty well. They have had some pretty handy players in their team too.

Good to hear you had a good time, I just hope that it helps to lead them to having a good time too. Would hate to see them go under.

Top man barclaystand, that''s a hell of a trip to do on your lonesome, I''ve watched them play with a Plymouth supporting mate a couple of times and always look out for their scores but a lack of cash counts me out for days like this at the moment.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]That was one hell of a mission going all the way down there, Barclaystand. Well done.As City aren''t playing over the weekend of 8th October perhaps you might be able to round up a few others for a day out down there by car ?

[/quote]Would be great to go down with a few more City fans on the 8th. Only got 2 seats in the car (including my seat) and personally I think it''s a bit too far to drive there and back on the same day.Train seems like the best option for me, can have a beer then too! They do a two pay, four travel offer on the train. Maybe some fellow Canaries would be up for this and splitting the cost?

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]You got a mention on 606. I assume it was you anyway.

Sounds like it was a fantastic day, well done.[/quote]Yeah that was about me. I got a text from a work mate saying I''d been mentioned! [:D]

[quote user="barclaystand"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]That was one hell of a mission going all the way down there, Barclaystand. Well done.As City aren''t playing over the weekend of 8th October perhaps you might be able to round up a few others for a day out down there by car ?

[/quote]Would be great to go down with a few more City fans on the 8th. Only got 2 seats in the car (including my seat) and personally I think it''s a bit too far to drive there and back on the same day.Train seems like the best option for me, can have a beer then too! They do a two pay, four travel offer on the train. Maybe some fellow Canaries would be up for this and splitting the cost?[/quote]I did the journey once as a passenger in a car on a day trip from Peterborough and it wasn''t too bad but it is a bit less distance than from Norwich. P I could also drink too - a big plus !!I''d love to go down to Home Park on the 8th but I can''t make it. Regarding train travel I''m sure you know all about '' split ticketing '' but if you need any info about how to get there the cheapest way I''ll ask my friend. He''s an expert on all things trains and what he doesn''t know about them isn''t worth knowing.

Great effort, it''s people like you who make football great, and this is precisely WHY football is all about the fans. I''ve looked at the photos though and it appears that there are three Norwich fans pictured? How did the Plymouth fans know which one was Keith? Lol.

[quote user="LeJuge"]Great effort, it''s people like you who make football great, and this is precisely WHY football is all about the fans. I''ve looked at the photos though and it appears that there are three Norwich fans pictured? How did the Plymouth fans know which one was Keith? Lol[/quote]Oh, that chap with the mobile appears to be wearing some other kit, is that a Brazil top then?

Superb post Keith and worthy of a sticky (Pete!)

As a Janner myself, only by birth, Argyle have always been my second team and it is a tragedy in footballing terms to see their plight. I would love to join you for the next one but unfortunately I''m overseas. Thank you to you, and the many other true football fans on behalf of those of us who cannot participate.

ps. I can''t seem to find the photo''s, any chance of a link?

[quote user="barclaystand"]Would be nice if you could ask him about the cheapest way to get the tickets. Any advice is always handy.Have a link to a gallery of pictures provided by the Plymouth Argyle Trust, including a mugshot of me with the other city fan down there.https://picasaweb.google.com/xpatriciaxdillon/FansReUnitedDay?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmQtKmqhuiYCw&feat=email[/quote]I''ve sent you a PM about this.

That''s one of the best things I''ve ever read on this message board. A great story and well done for supporting their day and respresenting Norwich City so well.

Cheers

Tim

Well done sounded like a great day and for a really worthy cause, I think all football fans hate the situation that some clubs have been left in and days like that should be a force for good in the game and make sure the right people with the right intentions are running football clubs sensibly.

I must say it came home to me when we were in League 1 how different the reality is at that level, but also how friendly the opposition fans were at the likes of Stockport, Oldham and Carlisle just to name a few.