Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

We Could Be Man Utd's Worst Nightmare

We have a history of results over Man Utd.

Man Utd got off to a flyer this year, almost started too well, and have stuttered. They have suffered injuries and their boys have been roughed up by Stoke.

Fergie is moaning about schedules and last night they looked vulnerable.

What Man Utd needed this weekend is a Liverpool at home or a local derby or any other ''big'' club. Instead they have got newly promoted Norwich City who they know little about and who their manager will have to work hard to get them grounded and focussed for.

Like United, this Norwich side contains British Isles players and young players at that. But these Norwich boys have had to work their way up and are hungry as wolves; they will see this game as a big yardstick and will be well and truly up for it. They will want to prove they belong on the big stage having suffered set-backs along the way.

Not just up for it but, with two wins on the spin, able to play without any fear whatsoever.

Unlike many of their peer sides Norwich have not been outplayed this season. Their losses have turned on key moments rather than being the result of sustained periods of being under the cosh or underperforming.

Norwich City will be going to Old Trafford with the intention of winning the game because they know no other way; they will make chances but are likely to be less clinical.

Norwich are learning fast. The team set up at Bolton and against Sunderland was learned from the lesson of West Brom. The resilience against Sunderland was learned in the late equaliser against Stoke who we now appreciate are not a side likely to be battling relegation.

Nothing is a given in football. United might well turn us over. If they do then they will need to overcome the nerves of two shaky results against a side buzzing but grounded.

The key battles are surely going to be between Nani and Young versus Tierney and Naughton and this could make for a cracking game.

As he proved with Leeds, Bradley Johnson will not be overawed and Foxy has a real point to prove.

I am so looking forwards to this: we could be Man Utd''s worst nightmare.

hah nice work, not sure how weakened they will be yet. if rooney or hernandez start i think we will be in for a rough ride. If neither do i wonder if the team bus can be brought on to help out.

It would be great to just get ''something'' from old trafford.

I just hope that it isn''t the most enjoyable wet dream for them..... but I''m not holding my breath.

very good post, like your positivity.

at the end of the day, the pressure is on them to win against a team like Norwich. We fans can be a little more relaxed having got 6 points from our last 2 games and not expecting much at Old Trafford anyway, so who knows what is going to happen.

if we continue to play well and the ref is as quiet as Monday''s was, i''ll be happy

As mentioned on previous posts, the term going there to ''enjoy it'' has been over used. Worthy and the team he had in the prem used it alot. Lambert summed it up, ''it is only enjoyable if you compete''. I think we can, there is no question they have game winners and will be rallied up by Fergie and the coaching team for a game against us.

But as always you can beat most teams on the day, sometimes 1 in 5 sometimes 1 in 10 depending how good they are. It would be a huge shock if we did win but on any day you can beat anyone.

International break to follow for a big game with Swansea a relegation six pointer to look forward to. That is a big game, this weeks is a game to compete and showcase our ethos. Players on the biggest stage showcasing what they have been working for all their careers. Tierney, R Martin, Johnson and Holt can be treuly effective with the desire they have. Pilky and EB with a little flair with our hoolahoops can demonstrate on a world stage where they are.

Forget international football, the Premier League is football that the people want to watch and hence your reputation can be made. Looking forward to it to see how our players react. We did re-act against Chelsea and now another chance.

But then a good break to concentrate on getting 3 points at home against Swansea and to be into double figures and then looking to get beyond 15 points asap.

hoping city give them hell. hopefully rooney/hernandez wont be back. slightly concerned utd will be on a bit of a mission after they cocked it up last night. no worse team to face if fergie has a bee in his bonnet over a previous result

Great positive post :) I am really looking forward to Saturday - would love to have been there but cant afford it so will be seeking out a pub instead..

The boys couldnt have acheived anymore than they have in the last 2 games so the pressure is completly off as they wont have been necessarily expecting anything from the game, and with 6 points in the bad from the last 2 games - confidence is high and the pressure is off to salvage even 1 point.... so who knows! OTBC!

I think you (the OP) makes the case very well, but I just don''t see a result for us. Last night was not good for us, Fergie will have put a rocket up the proverbials and I can see them being highly motivated to win and win big. They don''t know much about us but we have a habit of conceding a lot of posession and looking vulnerbale to pacy breaks from midfield. I fear for our CBs, and I see Nani going over in the box a lot, I''d be surprised if there isn''t a pen against us in this game. I expect them to come at us hard and quick from the off, the nightmare scenario for us is that a pen and a red card come in the first 15 mins. Old Trafford doesn''t have a reputation for refs favouring the home side for nothing, there will be 70,000 people baying for blood.

I think our best hope is to play our midfield sluggers in Fox, Crofts and Johnson and not let Bennett and Pilks leave the full backs too exposed by bombing forward too keenly. Call me a pessimist if you will, but if we come away 2-0 down I''d say we haven''t disgraced ourselves.

I think the worst thing we could do, and possibly would do under previous managers, would be to sit back, and try to defend a point. Basel showed that last night, that if you get into them, play without fear, their defense can be very shaky. I really fancy our chances for a point if we get at them early, and rumble them. I''d rather go down 3/4-1 then a damp squib 1-0 where we posed no threat. Hopefully, as Lambert has shown, he''s not one to shy away from a challenge, and shrink back into his shell and play defensively. I really hope we play Fox, and Lambert isn''t tempted to put Crofts in instead for more defensive cover. We''ll need someone who can split a defense with a single pass like Fox can. Let''s not forget Fox was a Man Utd trainee, and I''m sure he''d love to go back there and show that, yeah he fell down the leagues, but he worked his way back up and played at Old Trafford, and did a bloody good job!

But Anyway, in Lambert we trust, and we can safely assume any team he puts out will give it a right good go, and if nothing else, put out a good account of ourselves.

I don''t think we''ll see Rooney playing as Ferguson has said he would miss 2 games - and it would certainly help us if he wasn''t playing, as I think he makes a huge difference all over the pitch.

I was delighted when Man Utd equalised last night as a defeat would have spurred them whereas a late draw can feel like a win.

I forgot to mention that this is also Fergie versus his possible successor and the young pretender will be out to prove a point.

We know Lambert won''t send them out with the message "try and keep them out", so a 0-0 is completely out of the question.  On that basis, we''ll have to score - I think at least 2 - to get a point.  It''s a massive ask.The only hope I see is if Berbatov and Owen start up front, but that''s unlikely given how well Welbeck played last night.Nani and Young will give us grief all afternoon, Anderson will be trouble as he suddenly looks half-decent... I think we might go down 3 or 4-0.

some tweeters might know what I''m talking about here about when Norwich fans have put a hashtag prior to each game like #batterthebaggies and #wallopwigan. well I''ve done this before each game up to Bolton away and found we haven''t won a game up to this point, so I tweeted specifically to say I won''t be putting a tweet which read: #BashUpBolton. I didn''t and we won. then I tweeted Monday night before the game I won''t tweet: #BatterTheBlackCats...and we won. now I''m very superstitious and I know the sounds ridiculous but if it works for Saturday I will claim I''m God, actually no, Jesus, Marc Tierney/Paul Lambert are God. so I definitely won''t be tweeting #MangleManU

Nice one, it also depends on me NOT finding my new grey Norwich training top that I was wearing on matchdays, I last wore it at Stamford Bridge . . . . I won''t be looking too hard until after Saturday,depending on the result.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We know Lambert won''t send them out with the message "try and keep them out", so a 0-0 is completely out of the question.  On that basis, we''ll have to score - I think at least 2 - to get a point.  It''s a massive ask.The only hope I see is if Berbatov and Owen start up front, but that''s unlikely given how well Welbeck played last night.Nani and Young will give us grief all afternoon, Anderson will be trouble as he suddenly looks half-decent... I think we might go down 3 or 4-0.[/quote]Yes, playing for a 0-0 draw would be asking for trouble. We have to approach the match in the same way that FC Basel did the other night. If we do, anything could happen!