Sign in to follow this  
YellowBlood

If Lambert were to leave...

Don''t get me wrong, I hope and truly honestly believe he''ll be NCFC manager for years to come as he''s IMO the best young manager in the country and the good rapport he has with us as fans is almost invincible, but if we''re in the same position in the table come January and one of the big boys come calling with millions to spend etc and he were to walk in a similar act as a certain Mike Walker. Do you think McNally would be able to attract a potentially even bigger name to take over? Martin O''Neil springs to mind straightaway?

Possibly. I''d rather not think about it, don''t think it will happen, and sadly nor do I think we will be here (top half) come January. Of course, you never know. Don''t think McNally would get in any old nobody though. [:)]

It''s not so much ''if'' as ''when''... and we should wish him all the very best and say thanks for saving the club from obscurity.After all of the disasters this regime have put in place it doesn''t bode well regarding a replacement.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s not so much ''if'' as ''when''... and we should wish him all the very best and say thanks for saving the club from obscurity.

After all of the disasters this regime have put in place it doesn''t bode well regarding a replacement.
[/quote]

Sorry but i thought we had a new regime in charge but hey for some stuck in a time warp i suppose a backward look helps the cause.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s not so much ''if'' as ''when''... and we should wish him all the very best and say thanks for saving the club from obscurity.

After all of the disasters this regime have put in place it doesn''t bode well regarding a replacement.
[/quote]

This regime sacked one manager ( Gunn ) and appointed another ( Lambert ). Which one was a disaster and what does not bode well -Please look at McNallys record with Fulham / Celtic. 

In terms of this January, and ''big clubs'', he won''t go to:

Manchester United - Ferguson. Immovable.

Liverpool - Dalglish. Nearly immovable, and they''d want a ''bigger name''. Ridiculous as it is.

Chelsea - AVB won''t be gone by then, and again would look on the continent. Ridiculous as it is.

Man City - Will definitely look for a ''bigger name''. Possibly Mourinho?

Arsenal - Probably the most likely, as I''m far from convinced Wenger will be there by January. However, as incredible as it sounds, I don''t think Lambert would leave us for them right now. That''s how far we''ve progressed/they''ve fallen.

Spurs - Going well with Redknapp. Can''t see that changing any time soon.

Any other English side - Not worth leaving us for, in my honest opinion. We have the potential to grow into a big-ish side, and Lambert knows that.

Lambert and his management team have a taste for the premiership and i think they would want to stay there. Having said that i do believe that they have bought into project Norwich and who knows where they can take us.

I would be worried if more established premiership clubs came in for him. Look at Burnely and Own Coyle.

If we stay up i am sure he will stay, if not then it is nervous times.If he goes with Culverhouse then i do fear for the future. I do suspect Culverhouse would want to stay given his old links with the club.

The two work as a pair in the Clough/Taylor mode and i thinkthey would want to stay together.

after the last two results morale all around the club has shot up, but it will be interesting to see where we are come the January transfer window

I think he''s here for a while. He''s very cautious & innately modest - doesn''t overrate himself & tests his limits carefully.This is his team, & contains no superstars. In fact it''s probably the best "team" in the Premiership. Going to a big name club full of egotistical players would present a whole new set of challenges, which I don''t think Lambert would be willing to take on - just yet. Remember Clough at Leeds?Eventually, perhaps. As much as he is cautious he is also ambitious. But at the moment everything fits perfectly.

To be honest the top 6 clubs in the premiership won''t go for Lambert, Lambert would need to take a step up before he''s considered for these clubs.

Sunderland, Villa or Everton are the type of club who would tempt Lambert into going from here.

All three could well be looking for a new manager in January, especially Sunderland.

As for his replacement, well lets not beat round the bush, has to O`Neill doesn`t it?

My biggest worry is Everton or maybe Bolton, clubs like that. But neither have really got any money either so would be a sideways step.

There is no reason why we cant attract 35,000+ every match. Which easily matches us in terms of size. Paul Lambert/McNally strike me as intelligent men who like projects. Our club is certainly an exciting one. I think they will both stick around for a good couple more seasons at least and see what they can achieve.

The longer we keep playing well the more likely we are to attract investment. Imagine what Lambert could achieve if he had a proper transfer budget.

Given that he has played in Germany and did his coaching badges in Germany, you can''t rule out him eventually managing in Germany!

If Borussia Dortmund were to go looking for a Manager one day in the next year-18 months?

But Cluck is right, when and if PL does move on, the club will immediately appoint Jamie Cureton as Player/Manager and headhunt Neil Doncaster back here again.

Didn''t Lambert leave Wycombe for Colchester and then Colchester for us? I think a lot depends upon the long term plan and how McNally sees this. I seem to recall that that assumed a promotion to the PL, instant relegation and then a return. This is quite a likely scenario. If Lambert is given the majority of the PL funds to continue to build and improve the team then with the possible stadium expansion I agree that he would be unlikely to move to a yo-yo club as it would not offer the progression he seems to seek. The most likely candidates to me are  Newcatle, Villa or Everton. The latter as there are strong indications that Moyes may be an ideal Arsenal target if Wenger leaves. Both Villa and Newcastle are work in progress and the latter of these two is notoriously fickle over managers if they have a bad run. What encourages me is that Lambert does appear to be a man very focussed on what he wants to achieve, and his moves to date have been upwards and logical. This suggests that he would not move simply because we got relegated if he genuinely thinks the long term plan is right- he has been actually quite dismissive of the rumours regarding Celtic, and that he would not move for money alone. 

I would also not be surprised if his next move were not to another UK club but abroad, say to a "second tier" Champs Lge side to prove himself there, especially Germany for obvious reasons. This would make him more rounded and attractive to the very top teams. I think that is far more likely.

But let''s not get too hung up about this and enjoy things while they last. we know football goes in cycles, let''s hope this one is a long and steady progression and not a Worthy style blip.

Redknapp will leave Spurs next year to take over England. That''s our main worry IMO as Lambert will be a prime candidate alongside O''Neill for Spurs, but as others say, Martin O''Neill would be an adequate replacement for us if the worst happens.  

In answer to the original question - would we be able to attract a bigger name to the club - then it is entirely dependent on where we are in the league. If we''re rock bottom, then it''s doubtful we''ll get anyone particularly big.

If we''re still in the top half, or looking a pretty decent bet to stay up (in the top "half" of the bottom half), then there''s no reason why we couldn''t get someone like an O''Neil.

But then again, if we were in that position, I doubt Lambert would leave for anyone. The really big clubs (Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, even Spurs) aren''t going to come in for him just yet and why would he go anywhere else in the country unless we were looking like relegation fodder (in which case, the other teams may look twice at coming in for him anyway).

I''d be very surprised if he''s not still here at the end of the season. Then it comes down to money. If we stay up and can give him funds to build a squad that can really compete and secure it''s premiership future, then I think he''ll stay for as long as we continue to improve, or have the potential to do so.

As soon as we stagnate, go down, or can''t offer what he thinks is enough money to be able to make the next step forward, then he may be tempted by somewhere that can offer him those things.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s not so much ''if'' as ''when''... and we should wish him all the very best and say thanks for saving the club from obscurity.After all of the disasters this regime have put in place it doesn''t bode well regarding a replacement.[/quote]

This regime sacked one manager ( Gunn ) and appointed another ( Lambert ). Which one was a disaster and what does not bode well -Please look at McNallys record with Fulham / Celtic. 

[/quote]Not got too good a grasp of history have you?There is one ''constant'' at NCFC and that is Delia Smith. McNally and co are wholly transient and liable to leave their posts at any point in time. So by my reckoning the same ''regime'' that hired the well documented disastrous series of mangers will be the same one which will hire the next one.McNally is merely an ''employee'' and will ultimately do as he is told.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

McNally was sales and marketing director at Celtic rather than chief executive. As a board member he probably was involved in discussions on managerial appointments, but I doubt his opinion would have been the decisive one, given that he wasn''t working on the football side of the business.

Don''t underestimate the power of emotion, sentiment and national pride in football. Despite what has been said, I still wouldn''t rule out PL being offered, and taking, either the Celtic or Scotland jobs. I still look anxiously at Celtic''s results, hoping that Neil Lennon does enough to keep his job, and presumably Scotland will be changing their manager before the next World Cup qualifying starts.As for his replacement, it probably would be someone that none of us have even thought of. After all, how many posters on here even mentioned Lambert as a prospect, before he was actually appointed?

[quote user="Power Hamster"]Don''t underestimate the power of emotion, sentiment and national pride in football. Despite what has been said, I still wouldn''t rule out PL being offered, and taking, either the Celtic or Scotland jobs. I still look anxiously at Celtic''s results, hoping that Neil Lennon does enough to keep his job, and presumably Scotland will be changing their manager before the next World Cup qualifying starts.

As for his replacement, it probably would be someone that none of us have even thought of. After all, how many posters on here even mentioned Lambert as a prospect, before he was actually appointed?
[/quote]

ME!..........as an alernative to Steve Tilson. [:D]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not got too good a grasp of history have you?

There is one ''constant'' at NCFC and that is Delia Smith. McNally and co are wholly transient and liable to leave their posts at any point in time. So by my reckoning the same ''regime'' that hired the well documented disastrous series of mangers will be the same one which will hire the next one.

McNally is merely an ''employee'' and will ultimately do as he is told.
[/quote]

Are you sure he''s not a Director of the club?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Power Hamster"]Don''t underestimate the power of emotion, sentiment and national pride in football. Despite what has been said, I still wouldn''t rule out PL being offered, and taking, either the Celtic or Scotland jobs. I still look anxiously at Celtic''s results, hoping that Neil Lennon does enough to keep his job, and presumably Scotland will be changing their manager before the next World Cup qualifying starts.As for his replacement, it probably would be someone that none of us have even thought of. After all, how many posters on here even mentioned Lambert as a prospect, before he was actually appointed?[/quote]

ME!..........as an alernative to Steve Tilson. [:D]

[/quote]Just you, then 1st Wiz, and only as a second choice behind Tilson? I don''t think many others even mentioned Lambert at the time.Also, I seem to remember when PL''s appointment was announced, people grumbling that it was a "knee-jerk"  reaction, based on one freak result - rather like the appointment of Gunn a few months earlier. I admit I was one of the people who was disappointed with Lambert getting the job, as I had been hoping for a bigger "name", more experienced manager.How wrong can you be??[:D]

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]It''s not so much ''if'' as ''when''... and we should wish him all the very best and say thanks for saving the club from obscurity.After all of the disasters this regime have put in place it doesn''t bode well regarding a replacement.[/quote]

[/quote]Not got too good a grasp of history have you?There is one ''constant'' at NCFC and that is Delia Smith. McNally and co are wholly transient and liable to leave their posts at any point in time. So by my reckoning the same ''regime'' that hired the well documented disastrous series of mangers will be the same one which will hire the next one.McNally is merely an ''employee'' and will ultimately do as he is told.[/quote]

[/quote]Still transient.....Directors come and go, whereas Smith has an investment to protect. If McNally''s enthusiasm begins to wane and a better offer came along he would be off.... just like any ambitious businessman. No strings to hold him at Carrow Road unlike a a majority share owner who needs to find a buyer before ending their involvement.

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]Not got too good a grasp of history have you?There is one ''constant'' at NCFC and that is Delia Smith. McNally and co are wholly transient and liable to leave their posts at any point in time. So by my reckoning the same ''regime'' that hired the well documented disastrous series of mangers will be the same one which will hire the next one.McNally is merely an ''employee'' and will ultimately do as he is told.[/quote]

[/quote]Still transient.....Directors come and go, whereas Smith has an investment to protect. If McNally''s enthusiasm begins to wane and a better offer came along he would be off.... just like any ambitious businessman. No strings to hold him at Carrow Road unlike a majority share owner who needs to find a buyer before ending their involvement.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Still transient.....Directors come and go, whereas Smith has an investment to protect. If McNally''s enthusiasm begins to wane and a better offer came along he would be off.... just like any ambitious businessman. No strings to hold him at Carrow Road unlike a majority share owner who needs to find a buyer before ending their involvement. [/quote]I used to have one of those Ford Transients Cluck.......Of course, Delia could sell up tomorrow leaving McNally here to work with the new owners which is just as likely as your assumption.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Still transient.....

Directors come and go, whereas Smith has an investment to protect. If McNally''s enthusiasm begins to wane and a better offer came along he would be off.... just like any ambitious businessman. No strings to hold him at Carrow Road unlike a majority share owner who needs to find a buyer before ending their involvement.
[/quote]

I used to have one of those Ford Transients Cluck.......

Of course, Delia could sell up tomorrow leaving McNally here to work with the new owners which is just as likely as your assumption.
[/quote]

Lapp, Cluck has amply demonstrated that he is only capable of single track thought process. He doesn''t do dual tracks and it''s unfair of you to point that out to him. [:D] 

MON really?? Not a chance he''d come here again! I''m a more likely candidate for the job!

Crikey I know we''re a PL side now but let''s not go overboard. If/When Lambert does leave i''d like us to look at someone like Nigel Adkins.