Sign in to follow this  
morty

Mark Lawrenson, you arse.

Just watched it.

Would have been nice if they''d have included the goals on the analysis, what with the regular coverage of the Tierney incident and then their going over it again, it must have been shown 7-8 times?

Klasnic would have gone off regardless of Tierney''s reaction so fair enough, he needn''t have gone down but what a pro is doing there is emphasising the action of the opponent, not reacting to the impact & calling it to the officials attention. It looks like the linesman had seen enough to decide it was a red card as Howard Webb looked to him for advice or confirmation.

I wouldn''t have liked it if an opponent of ours had gone down in that manner to such minimal contact, but the intent and action is the issue so yes, Tierney has used gamesmanship. I don''t like that either but we have had to wise up, its used against us, so we have got to learn. Two wrongs don''t make a right in this case and it would be great if it wasn''t part of the game, period...but, whilst it is, we have to make use of it, we wouldn''t get any points or praise for not doing so and there will as sure as hell be those that go against us, and in abundance, over the next few months.

Barnett was high and reckless with that challenge. But his height and aerial prowess is priceless, the way he powered in the header for the first goal was brilliant. Indeed, the build up to that goal was excellent-his header and Morisons''s lay off, it might also have been easier for Pilks to get his feet tangled up and miss altogether, so well done to him as well.

Johnson looks like he might be the sort of player we''ve been missing for a while-a real presence physically in midfield, he and Fox could be a great duo in the making.

Lovely turn and shot by Morison near the end as well.

I notice they didn''t show Morison getting shoulder barged in the face and having to go off to have the blood stemmed.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Just watched it. Would have been nice if they''d have included the goals on the analysis, what with the regular coverage of the Tierney incident and then their going over it again, it must have been shown 7-8 times? Klasnic would have gone off regardless of Tierney''s reaction so fair enough, he needn''t have gone down but what a pro is doing there is emphasising the action of the opponent, not reacting to the impact & calling it to the officials attention. It looks like the linesman had seen enough to decide it was a red card as Howard Webb looked to him for advice or confirmation. I wouldn''t have liked it if an opponent of ours had gone down in that manner to such minimal contact, but the intent and action is the issue so yes, Tierney has used gamesmanship. I don''t like that either but we have had to wise up, its used against us, so we have got to learn. Two wrongs don''t make a right in this case and it would be great if it wasn''t part of the game, period...but, whilst it is, we have to make use of it, we wouldn''t get any points or praise for not doing so and there will as sure as hell be those that go against us, and in abundance, over the next few months. Barnett was high and reckless with that challenge. But his height and aerial prowess is priceless, the way he powered in the header for the first goal was brilliant. Indeed, the build up to that goal was excellent-his header and Morisons''s lay off, it might also have been easier for Pilks to get his feet tangled up and miss altogether, so well done to him as well. Johnson looks like he might be the sort of player we''ve been missing for a while-a real presence physically in midfield, he and Fox could be a great duo in the making. Lovely turn and shot by Morison near the end as well.[/quote]

Mark Lawrenson was a half decent defender who wasn''t good enough to play for England so used his Grandfather to become an international with the Republic of Ireland. He tried to become a Manager but was a complete disaster, realised it and quickly gave up. How has he been able to become a MOTD pundit? No idea but I guess there was an element of being in the right place at the right time or perhaps someone else recommending an old mate. I have no idea how long his contract it but when it ends I would be amazed if he got another one. Having thought about it, I''m not so sure. After all, it is the BBC!! 

We''ve just won our first game of the season, first away win in the PL for thousands of years, and yet we still find things to complain about? [:S]Let''s just be happy. [:)] Pundits aren''t always going to agree with Norwich.

When you compare Gary Lineker to Manish Bhasin on the Football League Show, the gulf in class and ability is huge. Lineker simply wouldn''t be presenting that show if he weren''t an ex-international footballer. Shearer''s even worse, totally wooden and lacking charisma. Lawrenson seems to have become an old man bitter that his playing days have gone.Personally I thought the Football League Show was a hell of a lot better. At least they had some journalistic nous to try and find some games with a good story to tell (remember us getting top billing for the Colchester 5-0 game?)

"but I guess there was an element of being in the right place at the right time or perhaps someone else recommending an old mate"

And therein lies the problem. Shearer was being lined up and eased onto the sofa way before he finished playing. He is as suited to the job as a blancmange is to digging the garden.

We now have the spectacle of the ever irritating Robbie Savage being foisted on to us as ''personality'' and a football pundit. I had the misfortune to listen to his barely understandable high pitched squeaking on Radio 5 last season. Four of us coming back from a match and none of us could understand what he was warbling on about.

Lawrensen appears to be slowly melting and like some long lit candle will eventually end up as a heap of melted pink shirt topped with a few strands of wispy grey hair - pretty much all he is at the moment, some might say.

It is Match of the Day not Middle Aged Man from Yesterday

Time to start again, methinks

Let''s say Tierney didn''t go down, Klasnic stayed on and then scored an equaliser in the 90th min. It would all be "he shouldn''t be on the pitch", the Norwich lad was too honest", "It''s naive from Norwich" etc etc etc

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]Let''s say Tierney didn''t go down, Klasnic stayed on and then scored an equaliser in the 90th min. It would all be "he shouldn''t be on the pitch", the Norwich lad was too honest", "It''s naive from Norwich" etc etc etc[/quote]

Totally agree, Tierney stays on his feet the player stays on someone else gets the benefit of the ban later. It''s a case of us wising up to how this league works, it says more about the league and the refing than Tierney. Of course it''s abit ugly we have to join them, but i prefer that than being the perenial vicitim of decisions.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]Let''s say Tierney didn''t go down, Klasnic stayed on and then scored an equaliser in the 90th min. It would all be "he shouldn''t be on the pitch", the Norwich lad was too honest", "It''s naive from Norwich" etc etc etc[/quote]Well said.

The thing that annoys me, is that the BBC clearly has good links with plenty of knowledgeable ex-professionals, ex-managers and the cream of the country''s journalists, because they appear all the time on Five Live.  On the radiobox, we get regular contributions from the likes of Pat Nevin, David Pleat and Henry Winter... yet on the telly, we get two from Lawro, Shearer and Hansen... and that''s it.

Players can become sloppy and complacent if they don''t have competition for their place, and the same thing is happening on the MOTD sofa.  The ''three wise men'' have got their arse-prints well and truly indented into those cushions, and there''s very little risk of that changing any time soon.  The same thing has happened on Final Score, too, although Garth Crooks is comedy gold and still worth a watch.

This is why MOTD2 is far more popular - the presenters and pundits can change from week-to-week, and come from a mixed pool, providing insight and depth to the analysis.  It almost seems like Lee Dixon has been outcast somewhat from the MOTD clique, finding himself on MOTD2 most weeks instead, but for that he should be grateful!

MOTD it''s been awful for years you can get much better insight in any of the broadsheet newspapers.

Anyone else remember the world cup when Danny Baker walked in and gave more energy and opnions in five minutes than the three wise men did in the entire tourament. Shearer response was "can I have some of what he''s been drinking". The only thing i would say is Lineker is wasted as the anchor. He''s one of the best players England has ever produced and he askes Mark "quip" Lawrenson how he thinks

I''d advise anyone to check out Football Weekly on the guardian with James Richardson or Sunday supplement on sky.

If Tierney hadn''t thrown himself down there probably wouldn''t have been enough evidence for Klasnic to have been sent off. What I found amusing was when they said about Lambert having a chat with Tierney about his reaction to the headbutt. Lambert probably told him to do it!

[quote user="HazzaJet"]If Tierney hadn''t thrown himself down there probably wouldn''t have been enough evidence for Klasnic to have been sent off. What I found amusing was when they said about Lambert having a chat with Tierney about his reaction to the headbutt. Lambert probably told him to do it![/quote]

"Well done son"

Have read with interest all that is being said by you poor sods who have to put up with those ill informed idiots on the BBC. here in Sweden we are very lucky to have some really good expert ish int)commentators who do their research and are prepared to talk informatively and positively on the "smaller clubs. Glen Strömberg (ex Swed int) was in Norwich for the west Brom game and gave a great analysis before, during and after the game that put their British counterparts to shame. There must be someone better than them - Hucks for example?

Did anyone see Joey Barton on goals on sunday.

Ben Shepard asked him if Tierney went down too easily and he said no, he would have gone down too, and if he doesn''t go down, he is cheating his own team mates, as even if he only brushed him, it is a red card offense.

Now I don''t like Joey Barton, but he echoed what my feelings were to the letter.

No more little naive norwich, we play by their rules now.

Any player who goes down like Tierney did will get a little critisim from pundits etc, but everyone really knows it''s the right thing to do in the circumstances. What isn''t needed is rolling around on the floor and the laughable ''checking for blood''.

Does anyone really care Tierney hit the deck? Nope.

Lawro was right about us getting help from Howard Webb though, there was no way in hell the tackle which lead to the second goal was a foul. And allowing Morison to play on and have the shot after being a couple of meters off-side would have been hugely charitable towards Norwich.

i''m surprised so many people don''t like MOTD - ok it''s not great but for me the BBC coverage is still a long way better than the drivel ITV or Sky can muster up. 

Lawrenson was actually quite complimentary of us last year and backed up to be promoted and whilst the highlights were a little poor on Saturday, i really don''t care what any pundit says about us - we''ve quietley worked our way through League 1 and the Championship and don''t need the media attention.  i guess at least they didn''t make some stupid Delia or cookery reference.

Linekar is ok but i think it''s time Manish took over - he''s the best presenter they have and i was sad to see him replaced by Hooray Henry on Football Focus.  Hansen is the best analyst on tv in my opinion.  The rest of the crew, particularly Shearer, are boring and uninteresting for me. 

I liked it when they had Desailly on there - ok you couldn''t understand a word he said but he was a million times more interesting than the rest.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]Let''s say Tierney didn''t go down, Klasnic stayed on and then scored an equaliser in the 90th min. It would all be "he shouldn''t be on the pitch", the Norwich lad was too honest", "It''s naive from Norwich" etc etc etc[/quote]Well put :) ...Love the back tracking from their manager..on motd "Its the letter of the law,even if a player doesnt make contact,it will be interpretated as aggresive...On SSN today,after now finding out there isnt a camara angle that shows contact "I would appeal as i dont think there was any contact! But we would porbably get 1 extra match ban as no cameras show it from our point of view"

What a to##er

The thing is as well all know these days if you don''t go down nothing happens. So its a simple case of us learning to do to others what will be done to us all season.

Back to the subject agree with Lawro being an ass.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I''d advise anyone to check out Football Weekly on the guardian with James Richardson or Sunday supplement on sky.[/quote]How James Richardson isn''t on tv more is beyond me. He managed to make Serie A, one of the most boring leagues exciting and vibrant. Imagine what he could do if presenting Premier League football!

On the subject of pundits, I am loving Gary Neville''s work on Sky. Bit unexpected really as I didn''t like him as a player.

We like him too. He''s really enthusiastic, which makes a big difference. He also has recent playing experience, unlike the others who in the main haven''t played since Adam was a lad.

I am a huge defender of the BBC, and we''ll miss it when the current government abolishes it, but they really don''t help themselves with match of the day.

Between LIneker''s inexplicable smugness (what has he got to be smug about), Hansen''s robotic, phoned-in performances (he''s basically said the same thing every week since 1992, when he seemed slightly interesting) and Lawrenson''s bizarre combination of misanthropy and the unintentionally hilarious belief that he is some kind of Oscar Wilde, the show is totally unwatchable.

Which is ironic, because the pundits clearly don''t watch the football, as their comments on Saturday evidently made clear. (I live abroad, so didn''t see it...) And they never do any research, which is at its most heinous when the world cup is on. (''We really don''t know much about the Ivory Coast, Gary. Too busy playing golf yesterday to watch any of their games or speak to the football correspondent of the Yammousoukro Herald. But I think Drogba might be the one to watch. He plays for Chelsea, you know.)

And then there''s Shearer. Ye gods. "Were you happy when apartheid ended?"

Total shambles - and a one hour advert for Sky. Which is a shame, since Sky is the worst thing to happen to football since Jimmy Hill mucked around with the maximum wage...

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I am a huge defender of the BBC, and we''ll miss it when the current government abolishes it, but they really don''t help themselves with match of the day. Between LIneker''s inexplicable smugness (what has he got to be smug about), Hansen''s robotic, phoned-in performances (he''s basically said the same thing every week since 1992, when he seemed slightly interesting) and Lawrenson''s bizarre combination of misanthropy and the unintentionally hilarious belief that he is some kind of Oscar Wilde, the show is totally unwatchable. Which is ironic, because the pundits clearly don''t watch the football, as their comments on Saturday evidently made clear. (I live abroad, so didn''t see it...) And they never do any research, which is at its most heinous when the world cup is on. (''We really don''t know much about the Ivory Coast, Gary. Too busy playing golf yesterday to watch any of their games or speak to the football correspondent of the Yammousoukro Herald. But I think Drogba might be the one to watch. He plays for Chelsea, you know.) And then there''s Shearer. Ye gods. "Were you happy when apartheid ended?" Total shambles - and a one hour advert for Sky. Which is a shame, since Sky is the worst thing to happen to football since Jimmy Hill mucked around with the maximum wage...[/quote]

---

I''ve only seen snippets of MotD very occasionally over the last few years but the above assessment seems spot on to me. A lazy programme. I doubt, though, that there is any particular bias against Norwich. It is just that the contributors don''t do their homework on the promoted sides, just as they don''t on the "obscure" countries in a World Cup.

The times I have watched in recent years (when Norwich, obviously, were not being discussed) I''ve noticed a similar lack of interest in and understanding of newcomers, who ever they were.

[quote user="Willmeister"][quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I''d advise anyone to check out Football Weekly on the guardian with James Richardson or Sunday supplement on sky.[/quote]How James Richardson isn''t on tv more is beyond me. He managed to make Serie A, one of the most boring leagues exciting and vibrant. Imagine what he could do if presenting Premier League football![/quote]Gary Imlach too. he has written a fantastic book about football ("my Father and other working class hero''s") and was spot on as the Presenter of channel 4''s NFL coverage for over a decade...

I guess you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Firstly that they can''t all watch the games from start to finish and in all likely-hood they are shown the highlights upon which they are expected to comment.

Lawro is right to an extent but then also wrong re the Tierney and Klasnic incidents.

Barnett is massive and has a huge spring, Klasnic doesn''t really make a huge effort to head the ball and Barnett almost bunny hops him. It deserves a medal of impossible feat not a card. Its a coming together of two players that miss the ball, Klasnic getting a good taste of Barnett arse. Comical, accidental and had no impact on play what-so-ever. At best it is a talking to by the ref.

It''s one of those where the defender is expected to compete with the striker who is backing in. Who is at fault? The striker for backing in or the defender for going over the top to head the ball?

As for Tierney. Yup, went down easily. But then Chris Martin could have had a penalty against West Brom but didn''t get it because he stayed on his feet. If Tierney hadn''t have gone down I doubt very much that Klasnic would have seen any card let alone a red one. Sometimes players have to do this to draw attention to the incident even if it is making the most of it. Its not like the Laurent Blanc incident which it is being made to sound like.