Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

marc tierney appreciation thread

Didn''t hear so much criticism from the commentators when nasty violent Barton threw himself to the ground the other week. Tierney had every right to make it clear to the ref what had happened, we all know our lads haven''t had any protection up till now in the Prem. Why should we be the fall guys rather than the falling-down guys?

kes up for another soft penalty we had againsdt us.Didn''t make any real difference to the game, we were 2-0 up, so the neutrals can get forked!

"You can''t throw yourself on the floor" but you also can''t do what Klasnic did, yet if it wasn''t for Tierney''s theatrics would Klasnic have been sent off or even be booked? Probably not.

As Coyle admitted Klasnic deserved to go. Sadly without Tierney going down the chances are Klasnic would not have been sent off, so you can understand Tierneys reaction. So to get "justice" the players need to go down otherwise the refs dont react.

However I dont like it when any player goes down in those circumstances, whether its tierney, or reid last week - it still all cheating in my eyes.

think he''s adapted to the premier league the best so far out of our defenders. looks very consistent. i also agree, he had to go down otherwise Klasnic probably would of got away with it

Did I hear it right......or was I mistaken.

The leather faced pundit (take your pick) I mean the deadliest striker from one yard Linaker, I''m sure he called him Marc Tiny. Did that happen?

He cheated. Let''s not mince our words here. I haven''t got a massive problem with it because every other player seems to do the same but just remember today next time you''re moaning about some soft penalty which has been given against us.

Over reacted yes

Cheated no

The Bolton player attempted, or threatened, to head butt him. That is a sending off offence irrespective of how much damage it did, or did not do, to Tierney

So whether Tierney needed to act how he did to draw attention to that assualt is certainly open to debate - but it was a sending off offence.

Cheating is where no contact or attempt at contact occured, but the player pretended that one of either HAD happened.

Tierneys been one of our best players so far. Probably one if not the player who most looks at home in this Division!

Yes he made a meal out of being tapped on the head but the bloke shouldn''t of done it!

About time we had a decision go our way!

Although I am not a fan of cheating and diving - we have had some really rotton luck so a dramatic fall after an attempted head butt or minimal contact was the right thing to do as it was an intentional act of violence.

Marc Tierney has been fab so far this season and has taken the step up in his stride. I saw an interview of him with Paul McVeigh on canaries player last week and he seems like a really genuine guy.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]He cheated. Let''s not mince our words here. I haven''t got a massive problem with it because every other player seems to do the same but just remember today next time you''re moaning about some soft penalty which has been given against us.[/quote]Yes, well said.  I''m not particularly happy that we are lowering ourselves to the level of cheating, but it seems to be part of the Premier League these days so I''d rather it happened in our favour as opposed to against us.

[quote user="City1st"]Over reacted yes

Cheated no

The Bolton player attempted, or threatened, to head butt him. That is a sending off offence irrespective of how much damage it did, or did not do, to Tierney

So whether Tierney needed to act how he did to draw attention to that assualt is certainly open to debate - but it was a sending off offence.

Cheating is where no contact or attempt at contact occured, but the player pretended that one of either HAD happened.[/quote]All I''ll say on that is the game''s certainly changed if grazing someone''s head with your own while making a verbal point constitutes violent conduct.  Perhaps we should also ban tackling.

It’s sad we need to play-act, but what if we don’t? Be a pleasant bunch of losers whilst others collect the 3 points? I agree, ‘When in Rome’…

PS: Not many would mess about with Tierney; his reputation as a tough-guy remains intact.

We have to do things like Tierney did in this league, as sad as it is to admit it.It''s quickly become apparent that players in this league fall like a ton of bricks at the slightest brush against them. It''s clear they''ll tug on shirts and get away with it if they''re clever enough.I think its quite clear from the penalties against us that cheating is the norm. In this case, Tierney hasn''t cheated. Cheating would be Tierney falling to the floor in the SAME way if Klasnic had done NOTHING towards him. But that is not the case is it, Klasnic was agressive and the red card was CORRECT.Had Tierney fallen to the floor - would the ref or linesman even seen the incident? Probably not. And yet again, we''d have been unfairly treated by the refs. It''s disappointing but we have to do this, but i encourage our players to collapse in the penalty area. We will NOT stay up if we decide to play fairly and everyone around us does not.

I thought he played well today and put some good crosses in. Has made the stepup to Premiership and looks very comfortable at this level.

10/10 so far.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]If this had happened last season I doubt Tierney would have fallen to the floor.  It has taken four games of "Premiership" football for our players to "wise up" to what is expected at this level.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on and long may it continue.

As much as it pains me to say it, we have to "con" and "cheat" to stay in the Premier League because everyone is doing it. Well done Marc Tierney you deserve an Oscar for that and I hope all the players will follow suit and get their own Oscars over the rest of the season!![:D]OTBC

Joey Barton was on Goals on Sunday and had some measured comments about it, his view was that if the player didn''t go down he was doing his team a disservice by not drawing the refs attention to it. Had MT not gone down would Klasnic have been sent off or would it have gone unnoticed / unpunished.Also, he asked the question - ''if Klasnic had hit him hard enough to put him down does it make it worse than him not hitting him heard enough?'' In effect, just because he didn''t do it right does not exonerate him, he made the motion and has accordingly been sent off. Now, obviously JB has had recent experience of this debate and his comments fit with that but I think MT was done a disservice by MOTD''s comments.I find JB a bit of a puzzle, sometimes he is articulate and thoughtful and sometimes he is a complete tit...not sure what I make of him.

[quote user="therossjack"]get well soon marc...hope you will fit for the sunderland game
[/quote]

Do you mean he got injred when the Bolton player brushed his forehead [:)] with his and Tierney fell over, wasn''t a mark on him when he got up so don''t think he''s injured.

I agree the player wouldnt probably have been sent off if Tierney hadn''t of gone down, but I still don''t like our players doing it all the same.