Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Andrew Surman......

Three times Surman has played this season, three times he has performed poorly and not given 100%. His performance against Wigan was lackluster, whenever he lost the ball he jogs slowly back in a poor attempt to redeem himself. For some strange reason Lambert chose to substitute a superb Elliot Bennett for him, Surman didn''t close down players on the wing who were able to get crosses into the box. But his performance against MK Dons took the biscuit, he was supposed to be playing for a premier league place not a permanent place on the bench,truely dreadful. He needs to improve because anyone playing against him has an easy ride and no disrespect but he will come up against better players then those from Milton Keynes.

[quote user="Gareth"]I thought he was one of the better performers tonight... [/quote]Please help me to change my mind, the pass back after coming back to tackle is sticking in my memory. Maybe I am being ruled by that memory (which I don''t think I am as I said before to friends, he looks terrible)

he was awful tonight i''d rather play lappin he may not have his ability but at least he has a go ..and i agree about sunday as well, we were up against it and he trotted around like one of dale gordons legends in fact thats an insult to the legends OTBC

Surman was not rubbish tonight....

I do agree about Wigan though, not quite sure what it is with him. He''s obviously a quality player, but just seems to lack confidence or perhaps the right attitude, never seems to want to get stuck in....

Of all the signings we made the summer before last, Surman was the ''marquee'' signing - a very highly rated player with a little bit of Prem experience, and I thought he was excellent for Wolves and Southampton when I saw him play for them in the past. He is undoubtedly a Premiership-quality player in terms of technique and class, but ever since he came back from injury at the turn of the year he just doesn''t seem to have the energy and stamina you would expect, and require, at this level. Hopefully it''s something that can be restored to his game, because he''s as technically gifted a player as anyone else in the squad with the exception of Wes. I really think it''s important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater in his case - he''s a very good footballer who seems to have lost his way a bit, and if anyone can nurture him back to his full potential it''s Lambert.

Agree with what you''re saying OP, and in a league like this playing Surman is just going to cause problems, 3 lacklustre performances, no room for passengers. And i know people are saying give him time, but he shouldnt need time he''s been at the club for longer than most of the current XIdue to the 7 new signings and we need to pick up all the points we can get :/

Did not rate him vs Stoke to be honest but his hands were tied.Lambert had blatently told him to tuck in and not push up which makes me wonder why Fox did not play vs Stoke.Anyways, have a beer we got one cup less to worry about :)

I''ve never liked him, don''t really understand what his role is supposed to be. He clearly has some sort of talent, but he isn''t particularly quick so isn''t a winger, he is a bit slow with his first touch and is lightweight, so isn''t really a centre midfielder, doesn''t really score many goals, and can''t really tackle.I just don''t see where he is supposed to fit in, I don''t really like him on the left of the diamond, don''t really like him on the left wing. I prefer Lappin on the left of the diamond, tbh, and Pilkington is our left winger. Hoolahan can also do a shift on the left of course.Maybe he just isn''t suited to our game? He reminds me of a poor mans David Bentley, although we had an actual David Bentley last time around.

I really cannot get too excited about Andrew Surman''s current performances because I feel that if we do hold onto our Premiership status for a while longer than one season, then he will be a million miles away from the starting eleven.

IMHO he is a bit too slow, plays to his own terms and lacks a bit of true class when it counts.

That you Andrew, you were a decent buy and did your bit very well, but NCFC has, hopefully, moved on. 

He is in danger of shortening his Norwich career. He failed at Wolves in the premiership and through injury only had half a season with us last season. In the championship he looked decent but no more than that. All his performances this season have been poor,he is likely to have pushed himself well down the peckong order already. He needs a couple of good performances when given another opportunity or else he will be joining the surplus to requirement list

I wasn''t at the game last night however went to both Wigan and Stoke and thought he was bloody awful for the whole game against Wigan, and when he came on against Stoke he left Tierney with so much work to do. Tucked in when the ball was out wide, didn''t close down, and left us very vulnerable down the left.

I''ve only seen the highlights from last night and the horrendous back pass makes it 3 games, each with some rather terrible moments for the lad. How long until he gets frozen out?

Big schoolboy error, at that point I left, you can''t get away with pass backs like that  He can''t be in the list of 25 can he

Some harsh comments on here. The one thing Surman doesn''t lack is class or technique. He is one of the most composed and technically gifted players in the squad. The one problem he does have though, like Lappin is pace. Lappin is a decent player technically but at times i thought he lacked a bit of pace for the championship. I think Surman has the same problem in the prem. At this level pace is really important (just watch Man U, Arsenal and Spurs and the speed at which they all move about the pitch) and Surman doesn''t have any pace. I think this is made more of an issue when he plays in a wide role and maybe if he played in the centre then it would suit him better. I don''t see him getting a game there though. Still a useful player to have in the squad though.

[quote user="Gareth"]I thought he was one of the better performers tonight... [/quote]were you at the game?I didn''t see him make any contribution at all...too lazy to run and close down players. He was getting a lot of abuse from Culverhouse all game!