Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

David McNally on Twitter

It''s really pretty pathetic of the club. They''ve managed to wrap Archant around their little finger - so much so that the senior staff their refuse to run anything remotely negative about the club. And because an ex-city player made a piece of speculation on a BBC East show the club have banned them from coming in?Get a life! One of the best parts about football is the speculation, the rumours and the guessing...  Imagine if the national papers took the approach the club are suggesting... we''d have nothing to read!Get over yourselves Norwich and give the BBC and norwich fans access to the news & features they want... and you the publicity you want!

It''s gone to McNally''s head. He should relax a bit - there''s no mileage in trying bully basically well-meaning people. He''s too trigger-happy by half.

[quote user="Pudd"]It''s really pretty pathetic of the club. They''ve managed to wrap Archant around their little finger - so much so that the senior staff their refuse to run anything remotely negative about the club.

What ''remotely negative'' things have they failed to mention?

And because an ex-city player made a piece of speculation on a BBC East show the club have banned them from coming in?

Hardly speculation was it? Or did you not watch the programme?

Get a life! One of the best parts about football is the speculation, the rumours and the guessing...  Imagine if the national papers took the approach the club are suggesting... we''d have nothing to read!

Not the same though is it? There''s a bit of difference between an ipswich supporting reporter making up crap about Holt being sold and a City hero telling us that the CMS deal was virtually wrapped up (on a BBC local footie programme made by Kevin Piper).

Get over yourselves Norwich and give the BBC and norwich fans access to the news & features they want... and you the publicity you want!

Get a dish and tune into SSN. You''ll get more NCFC news on there.

[/quote]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Who gives a flying funk.... Alex Ferguson banned the BBC for years, didn''t do them any harm. So David McNally is a pulls no punches, takes no bullstuff chief executive. Great!! Keep up the good work David![/quote]

---

Not sure that is the best example to give, or then again perhaps it is...

In that case all Ferguson has done is make himself look like a small-minded bully, when the solution was very simple. He just had to persuade his son Jason to sue the BBC for defamation.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

In that case all Ferguson has done is make himself look like a small-minded bully, when the solution was very simple. He just had to persuade his son Jason to sue the BBC for defamation.

[/quote]

My point was only that the decision has no impact on NCFC performances.

I won''t deny It would seem Mr McNally has overreacted. But really don''t care either way while he is doing a decent job. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

What ''remotely negative'' things have they failed to mention?I can''t really say, as it would be very unfair on the individuals involved, but I have it on very good authority that stories are surpressed by Archant because they''re scared of upseting the club. It''s up to them how they run the paper, they aren''t a public service, they''re a business, but it''s a shame.

Hardly speculation was it? Or did you not watch the programme?I did watch and I remember Dion''s words relatively clearly. He thought he had something viewers would be interested in hearing... but it was nothing more than speculation.Get a dish and tune into SSN. You''ll get more NCFC news on there.Perhaps... I do have a dish, and occasionally I watch SSN, but I also enjoy coverage from Norwich based reporters. Although ideally it would be ones that are allowed to be journalists, rather than working as NCFC''s outsourced PR team.

[/quote]

" is freedom of speach not allowed in this country"

The freedom of speech that allows you to run into a packed nightclub and shout fire ?

Freedom of speech carries responsibility, as does broadcasting which means you can be held accountable for what you say or broadcast.

I think the earlier post about McNally wanting the name of the source of the ''''leak'' and BBC East not being willing to reveal that source is the cause for the stand off.

Might best be sorted with a penalty shoot out at half time.

[quote user="Pudd"] I did watch and I remember Dion''s words relatively clearly. He thought he had something viewers would be interested in hearing... but it was nothing more than speculation.

[/quote]

Some comments from this Forum (BTW Peterborough rejected our bid for CMS the next day);

If CMS was done and dusted, and you''ve had the nod from the club...fine. If not shut-tf-up. I know he''s a legend, but Dion needs to add substance to his media charisma

Dion opens mouth and sticks foot in! Was really excited about Mackail-Smith signing, have to agree with walks on water, as a pundit Dion has a lot to learn. This wasn`t presented as a distant whisper last night but pretty much as a done deal with Dion basking in reflected glory. I love the guy but he has not done himself any favours on Late Kick Off.

Dion has really put his foot in this I am afraid. Like others have said I wasnt sure of his credibility when he said we needed a new centre half, at a time Barnett, Nelson, Ward and Whitbread were firing on all cylinders. This has just added to it. Doubt the BBC will be happy either because they dont usually comment on transfer stories unless they are 100% cut and dried.

Surly it isnt good practice to announce Norwich City are  in a bid for a player, it seems this lad was on his way, but guess what its all stalled as its got out!
Dion is on the football league show as an abassador of Norwich, anyway wasnt over happy about him annoucing it!

I''m sure Lambert and Mcnally won''t be too happy about Dion releasing that info. last night; they seem to like to keep their transfer dealings quiet untill it is official and Dion has just got everyone''s hopes up that a new player was coming in, when in reality our bid was rejected

he DID say CMS was signing for City!!!! He is out of order to have broken this news only for it to be incorrect!!

[quote user="City1st"]" is freedom of speach not allowed in this country" The freedom of speech that allows you to run into a packed nightclub and shout fire ? Freedom of speech carries responsibility, as does broadcasting which means you can be held accountable for what you say or broadcast. I think the earlier post about McNally wanting the name of the source of the ''''leak'' and BBC East not being willing to reveal that source is the cause for the stand off. Might best be sorted with a penalty shoot out at half time.[/quote]

---

Of course that might be the case. Although nowhere in the rather lengthy club statement is that mentioned as even one reason, let alone the main reason. And the poster who suggested this didn''t explain what had led them to believe this.

But if that is the underlying problem then this is unlikely to be settled soon. The BBC will not willingly name a source.

From a journalist''s point of view I see it this way;

Norwich City are trying to control the media and stifle third party reporting - the liable action against The Sun was very similar - a clear message to all media outlets.

BBC East applied poor journalistic practice, when Dion told the production team about the news he heard, someone should have contacted the club for a comment and/or confirmation. This is different from papers spouting off transfer rumours due to the context and the way it was announced.

I feel though that Norwich City have gone completely over the top about the whole thing and are trying to flex thier muscles a little bit, I can''t see why they want to be so petty with BBC East. What are Norwich gaining from this? Just a bad reputation and I doubt that this would be happening if we were still in the Championship.

[quote user="Pudd"] I did watch and I remember Dion''s words relatively clearly. He thought he had something viewers would be interested in hearing... but it was nothing more than speculation.[/quote]

Some comments from this Forum (BTW Peterborough rejected our bid for CMS the next day);

If CMS was done and dusted, and you''ve had the nod from the club...fine. If not shut-tf-up. I know he''s a legend, but Dion needs to add substance to his media charisma

Dion opens mouth and sticks foot in! Was really excited about Mackail-Smith signing, have to agree with walks on water, as a pundit Dion has a lot to learn. This wasn`t presented as a distant whisper last night but pretty much as a done deal with Dion basking in reflected glory. I love the guy but he has not done himself any favours on Late Kick Off.

Dion has really put his foot in this I am afraid. Like others have said I wasnt sure of his credibility when he said we needed a new centre half, at a time Barnett, Nelson, Ward and Whitbread were firing on all cylinders. This has just added to it. Doubt the BBC will be happy either because they dont usually comment on transfer stories unless they are 100% cut and dried.

Surly it isnt good practice to announce Norwich City are  in a bid for a player, it seems this lad was on his way, but guess what its all stalled as its got out! Dion is on the football league show as an abassador of Norwich, anyway wasnt over happy about him annoucing it!

I''m sure Lambert and Mcnally won''t be too happy about Dion releasing that info. last night; they seem to like to keep their transfer dealings quiet untill it is official and Dion has just got everyone''s hopes up that a new player was coming in, when in reality our bid was rejected

he DID say CMS was signing for City!!!! He is out of order to have broken this news only for it to be incorrect!!

[/quote]If the information was that sensitive then the club shouldn''t have allowed it to reach a tv pundit. Journalists aren''t there to make sure club transfers go smoothly - they''re there to report on news - which you are saying this was. If the deal fell through because it was in the public domain, that''s not the journalists fault... it''s the fault of the dealmakers. If it was dirty tricks by Barry Fry to get this in the public domain, and if he broke an agreement with Norwich in doing so, then he''s at fault.The point I was making is the same as others on this thread have made. Norwich have too much influence and control over what is said about them in the local media and todays statement shows this an example of them doing nothing more than throwing their toys out because someone hasn''t followed their demands.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Norwich City are trying to control the media and stifle third party reporting - the liable action against The Sun was very similar - a clear message to all media outlets.

BBC East applied poor journalistic practice, when Dion told the production team about the news he heard, someone should have contacted the club for a comment and/or confirmation. This is different from papers spouting off transfer rumours due to the context and the way it was announced.

I feel though that Norwich City have gone completely over the top about the whole thing and are trying to flex thier muscles a little bit, I can''t see why they want to be so petty with BBC East. What are Norwich gaining from this? Just a bad reputation and I doubt that this would be happening if we were still in the Championship.

[/quote]

---

Bethnal, a couple of points, while agreeing (indeed I said earlier on) about the need for journalistic accuracy. Firstly, as you know, one way of trying to confirm a story is to get an off the record steer. On the lines of  "If I published this, would I later look an idiot or not?" My understanding, from gleaning tidbits here and there, is that the current regime at Norwich isn''t keen even on that kind of off the record help, let alone on the record stuff. Late Kick Off may have tried to get the kind of confirmation you are talking about.

Secondly, it is still not clear that what was broadcast WAS wrong. If what Dublin said was that Norwich were on the verge of signing Mackail-Smith, then at that time that may well have been true. McNally himself said later that what scuppered the deal was Fry moving the goalposts. In other words, we WERE on the verge of a deal. We must have been at least close for it then to have been scuppered. You can''t scupper a non-existent deal.

Secondly, it is still not clear that what was broadcast WAS wrong. If what Dublin said was that Norwich were on the verge of signing Mackail-Smith, then at that time that may well have been true. McNally himself said later that what scuppered the deal was Fry moving the goalposts. In other words, we WERE on the verge of a deal. We must have been at least close for it then to have been scuppered. You can''t scupper a non-existent deal.

[/quote]

Our bid was rejected the day after LKO was broadcast. What Dublin said may have been nearly correct but the way it was portrayed on the show would not leave anyone in any doubt that it was a done deal. I had to replay the show on Sky+ to ascertain that Dublin did not actually say that it was a done deal. Whatever happened behind closed doors the ''announcement'' by Dublin must have somehow affected this deal, there is no smoke without fire (just look at the under-21 season tickets episode).

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Who gives a flying funk.... Alex Ferguson banned the BBC for years, didn''t do them any harm. So David McNally is a pulls no punches, takes no bullstuff chief executive. Great!! Keep up the good work David![/quote]

---

[/quote]

---

Funnily enough I now see from The Guardian that Ferguson has agreed to talk to the BBC again, without getting the apology for the alleged libel that he always said was necessary.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

---

Bethnal, a couple of points, while agreeing (indeed I said earlier on) about the need for journalistic accuracy. Firstly, as you know, one way of trying to confirm a story is to get an off the record steer. On the lines of  "If I published this, would I later look an idiot or not?" My understanding, from gleaning tidbits here and there, is that the current regime at Norwich isn''t keen even on that kind of off the record help, let alone on the record stuff. Late Kick Off may have tried to get the kind of confirmation you are talking about.

[/quote]

It''s hard to comment without knowing the exact details, but if I was in LKO''s position the pattern I would have taken, and is conisdered to be the correct way, is to have phoned the club and said "We''ve been told from a reliable source that you are signing CMS and are going to mention it on the show this evening, do you have a comment for us regarding this?". Even if Norwich have no comment they cannot feel they have been aggrieved afterwards as they were given the right to reply.

I don''t think LKO should have sat on the story, but this common courtesy should have been carried out (if it wasn''t, again without knowing the facts it is hard to comment). However, Norwich should get over themselves and try to use the media for its own good, rather than treating them like an enemy. I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin, that Lambert and McNally have both come out and said at various times that the club was on the verge of administration.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Our bid was rejected the day after LKO was broadcast. What Dublin said may have been nearly correct but the way it was portrayed on the show would not leave anyone in any doubt that it was a done deal. I had to replay the show on Sky+ to ascertain that Dublin did not actually say that it was a done deal. Whatever happened behind closed doors the ''announcement'' by Dublin must have somehow affected this deal, there is no smoke without fire (just look at the under-21 season tickets episode).

[/quote]

---

Joanna, going by your useful account then, what Dublin actually said seems to have been accurate. He didn''t say it was a done deal, but that a deal was very close or words to that effect. And that is effectively what McNally later said. That we had been very close to a deal.

Increasingly it seems to come back to the club being annoyed not by any inaccuracy but by the news leaking out, which mayl have affected negotiations. But as Pudd has said, that is no reason to penalise the programme.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

It''s hard to comment without knowing the exact details, but if I was in LKO''s position the pattern I would have taken, and is conisdered to be the correct way, is to have phoned the club and said "We''ve been told from a reliable source that you are signing CMS and are going to mention it on the show this evening, do you have a comment for us regarding this?". Even if Norwich have no comment they cannot feel they have been aggrieved afterwards as they were given the right to reply.

I don''t think LKO should have sat on the story, but this common courtesy should have been carried out (if it wasn''t, again without knowing the facts it is hard to comment). However, Norwich should get over themselves and try to use the media for its own good, rather than treating them like an enemy. I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin, that Lambert and McNally have both come out and said at various times that the club was on the verge of administration.

[/quote]

---

I agree entirely with that. LKO should have tried to get a comment and according to the club it didn''t. I was just making the point that I suspect it wouldn''t have got anything either on or off the record. But that is no reason not to make the attempt.

"I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin"

It was the NOTW. And the wording was not ''heading'' but that we would be by the following Thursday.

""I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin"

It was the NOTW

And the wording was not ''heading'' but that we would be by the following Thursday.

"Journalists aren''t there to make sure club transfers go smoothly - they''re there to report on news "

or make it, in this case

[quote user="City1st"]"I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin" It was the NOTW. And the wording was not ''heading'' but that we would be by the following Thursday. ""I find it intersting after how strongly they went after the Sun and its allegations that the club was heading into admin" It was the NOTW And the wording was not ''heading'' but that we would be by the following Thursday. "Journalists aren''t there to make sure club transfers go smoothly - they''re there to report on news " or make it, in this case[/quote]

It was the NotW, but that bit above in red is not quite right either. The story was this:

"NORWICH CITY are the latest club teetering on the brink of financial meltdown. The League One high-flyers could go into administration by Thursday if they cannot find major new investors. Financial experts Ernst Young and KPMG have both been called in as potential administrators. The moves come despite a season in which Paul Lambert has led the club to the summit of the promotion race for a return to the Championship. Carrow Road crowds have averaged around 25,000 as Lambert''s side impress but the club''s 2009 accounts showed a £5million loss. Delia Smith is unlikely to invest any more money after putting about £8m into the club over the past 13 years. Norwich now desperately need new investment to stave off administration."

---

So the story was hedged around with the odd "could" and "if" qualification. The real problems were specifying Thursday, for whatever reason, and - more importantly - naming two firms as administrators. Since that was, apparently, simply wrong (we hadn''t) the much-mourned paper didn''t have a legal leg to stand on.

I can''t copy and paste from canaries.co.uk so excuse any typos but these three parts stood out;

"On that evening the BBC regional football programme Late Kick Off broadcast a factually inaccurate story regarding an alleged multi-million pound transfer we were, according to them, about to complete with Peterborough United for their then striker Craig Mackail-Smith...

...Not only was the story unhelpful to Norwich City and inaccurate...

...The handling of this factually incorrect story..."

What Dion actually implied (in no uncertain terms) was that we were taking CMS on a loan until the end of the season with a view to a permanent move worth two to three million pounds. Make of that what you will.

I can''t copy and paste from canaries.co.uk so excuse any typos but these three parts stood out;

"On that evening the BBC regional football programme Late Kick Off broadcast a factually inaccurate story regarding an alleged multi-million pound transfer we were, according to them, about to complete with Peterborough United for their then striker Craig Mackail-Smith...

...Not only was the story unhelpful to Norwich City and inaccurate...

...The handling of this factually incorrect story..."

What Dion actually implied (in no uncertain terms) was that we were taking CMS on a loan until the end of the season with a view to a permanent move worth two to three million pounds. Make of that what you will.

[/quote]

--

Joanna, I think we have taken this as far as we can without a transcript of the programme. The club could have provided that in its statement. It didn''t. So we are left with the club asserting the programme was factually inaccurate. Not that there were some implications that were misleading, but there were supposed facts that were just plain wrong. A transcript would have shown that up. Or not. To borrow your phrase, make of that what you will.

Joanna, I dont read this board, or for that matter post as much as some so I have not read all of your 6000+ posts, but I have to ask and an honest answer would be nice:-

Do you work for the club?  You seem to defend their every move in what I have read from you. 

[quote user="Ren"]

Joanna, I dont read this board, or for that matter post as much as some so I have not read all of your 6000+ posts, but I have to ask and an honest answer would be nice:-

Do you work for the club?  You seem to defend their every move in what I have read from you. 

[/quote]

No I don''t (honest answer). I can''t see how going back over the events at the time and trying to work out what the Club''s problem with Look East is is really defending them. Do you have an issue with McNally?

Interesting to see that Fergie has finally ended his one man ban of talking to the Beeb today.  Think NCFC and BBC LE will take 7 years to patch up their differences?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

No I don''t (honest answer). I can''t see how going back over the events at the time and trying to work out what the Club''s problem with Look East is is really defending them. Do you have an issue with McNally?

[/quote]

Thanks.

The only issue I have with McNally is the fact that many put him on a pedistall and think he is beyond critism.  On the whole he has done wonders for this club, BUT and I think its quite a big but, lots of his decisions have been swallowed by the fans as the club is on the rise and the footbll product has got better.  Cost increases every which way you turn are begining to get up a lot of fans noses and some people are starting to reach breaking point.  After 30 years of loyality NCFC are starting to stretch my wallet and test my support and I have for the last 12 seasons done almost everything home, away, cup and reserves.  I can see the argument that the club is in debt and needs to fix this and I am for it, BUT it was not US the FANS that got us in this mess yet we are expected to bail the club out.  We were once fans - now we are just customers that NCFC dont give a stuff about. 

Sorry I sound like a moaning old git, but you did ask.

OTBC