Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

David McNally on Twitter

The Look East team have been black balled for a while, gossip says its in connection with the outing of the CMS transfer by Dion Dublin on the BBC late night soccer prog.

H

I think that was more Dion''s fault though, wasn''t it?

I don''t usually watch Look East. What have the club been doing? Not giving interviews etc?

I have to say that that is the most pathetic statement I have ever read coming from our club and we have had a few corkers in the past.

Talk about a child throwing his toys out of the pram because things have not gone their way! 

I hate to think what they will do when the Sundays start linking us to all sorts of no-marks as the season goes on.

David McNally has done some great things for this club, but he should not be held up as the greatest thing to ever happen to NCFC as many do, as IMO he has made as many mistakes as positives. 

BBC Look East will be here long after McNally has left us. 

#growup

[quote user="Ren"]

I have to say that that is the most pathetic statement I have ever read coming from our club and we have had a few corkers in the past.

Talk about a child throwing his toys out of the pram because things have not gone their way! 

So how many ''things not going your way'' involve deals worth hundreds of thousands of pounds?

I hate to think what they will do when the Sundays start linking us to all sorts of no-marks as the season goes on.

You expect that of the Sundays, not a regional football programme that is (was) close to the Club and what it stands for.

David McNally has done some great things for this club, but he should not be held up as the greatest thing to ever happen to NCFC as many do, as IMO he has made as many mistakes as positives. 

List please?

#growup

[/quote]

In fairness for all we know that little outburst might have cost us the transfer... the sudden publicity and outcry from the posh fans might have been what caused Fry and co to ramp up the price in an attempt to appease them.The club needs to make it clear they are serious about damaging or sensative info being released prematurely as it could potentially lead us to miss out on future signings!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Ren"]

So how many ''things not going your way'' involve deals worth hundreds of thousands of pounds?

You expect that of the Sundays, not a regional football programme that is (was) close to the Club and what it stands for.

List please?

#growup

[/quote][/quote]

Joanna -

The statements says the Late Kick off story was factually inaccurate - so how is that worth hundreds and thousands of pounds if there was no link?

Look East''s Late Kick off is a regional football programme, not just a Norwich programme.

Listing the things that I think McNally has got wrong wont benefit you, as you probably wear green and yellow specs and cant see through them, so Ill save my time. 

It''s much more than somebody ''saying sorry'', and I doubt it will happen any time soon either, so don''t expect to see much on Look East!

Let''s be honest, BBC Look East was always crap when it came to sports reporting anyway.+

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Never mind that - did Alex Dolan do the weather?  Ooooh, she''s got lovely hair.

[/quote]

Yes, Alex was on tonight. Susie blamed her for getting caught in the rain this morning whilst walking the dog. Talking of Alex, did you know she was a whistle-blower on kids causing trouble in the classroom in an expose on channel 4 (i think).

[quote user="Ren"]

#growup

[/quote]

---

I''m all for accuracy, if we are talking about a proper news story (as opposed to a bit of gossip or punditry). The problem with that club statement is that it doesn''t say what precisely Late Kick Off said about the Mackail-Smith transfer and what specifically was wrong with what LKO said.

That we were interested in Mackail-Smith and had talks with Peterborough is well-established, confirmed by the club, so the story can hardly have been entirely wrong. Indeed, the main point was accurate. We were trying to buy the player. Since we lack a detailed explanation from the club it suggests that at worst LKO pushed the story a stage too far. For example, by saying a deal was imminent when it wasn''t quite.

As much as anything else what appears to have miffed the club (and so what the BBC is really being punished for) is not the inaccuracy but that LKO broadcast our interest in Mackail-Smith at all. Witness the comment about the story being "unhelpful".  But that is journalism. Journalism is not meant to be "helpful". That is what Public Relations is for.

Sky once said Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was Definatley our manager....we then appointed Paul Lambertthis was unhelpful to Norwich and sky should have made a quick phone call to clarify this.... question is... Have the club got the Kahuna''s to restrict or Ban sky from the ground????over to you Mr McNally...

I can see both sides of this - it is clear that a deal was being discussed over getting CMS in and it is also clear that it was scuppered after being aired on tv...whether it was this that did it is open to question, but it certainly won''t have helped NCFC and it isn''t totally unreasonable for them to have been somewhat peed off. But we''ve now been promoted and all moved on, we have better guys at the club.

It is pretty stupid to have poor relationships with media organisations, especially local ones. But it is a two-way street - if local media wants good access, it can''t then use it to shaft the clubs it is reporting on.

Given the usual cliched and non committal mumblings offered by Lambert it was hardly the end of the world for Look East when the club snubbed them. Whenever has any manager or player said anything interesting post match. If I was LE I would have stuck to my guns and used the additional air time for more important local issues. For god''s sake a 70 year old man lost his spectacles on Cromer Pier on Monday and Bess the cat was rescued from a disused well in Diss.......never got a mention!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I can see both sides of this - it is clear that a deal was being discussed over getting CMS in and it is also clear that it was scuppered after being aired on tv...whether it was this that did it is open to question, but it certainly won''t have helped NCFC and it isn''t totally unreasonable for them to have been somewhat peed off. But we''ve now been promoted and all moved on, we have better guys at the club. It is pretty stupid to have poor relationships with media organisations, especially local ones. But it is a two-way street - if local media wants good access, it can''t then use it to shaft the clubs it is reporting on.[/quote]

---

Branston, as I said before, it is not the job of journalists to suppress a story (and this was obviously a good story even IF there may have been a slight element of gun-jumping in the detail) because the club involved doesn''t want the news coming out. You can''t seriously think the BBC - or the Mirror, for that matter, which also published the story - should have held off just because it didn''t suit Norwich? On that basis the media would never publish anything a club didn''t like.

As to your point about access and shafting the club, that doesn''t really stand up either. It doesn''t seem as if this story came from being granted good access to the club at all. I suspect it came not from an official Norwich source but from either an unofficial source with connections to Norwich, or an agent, or from Peterborough.

[quote user="Sir Ecat"]and Bess the cat was rescued from a disused well in Diss.......never got a mention![/quote]Which is quite surprising really as she was trying to end it all, after having her season ticket confiscated.....

My understandng is that there is a little more to this than is being admitted/stated.

The whole CMS transfer was fairly fractous with a fair bit of flak flying around.

The suggestion is that something was stated that was ''confidential'' ie known by a few and that BBC East should not have taken the pundit/contributors word without checking with the club to verfify it before broadcasting..

The club have almost always refused to comment or be drawn on tranfsers until they have (or are) as good as completed. I suspect somebody broke confidence here which put the club in a ''difficult'' position. I would further suggest that the wording to BBC East has been something on the lines of ''until we can be assuerd this sort of breach won''t happen again'' the door is closed.

Can''t really blame them either, to be honest.

ps the idea that somebody would take offence or take notice that sky football had posted up something innaccurate is rather silly. A bit like accusing Jeffrey Archer of colouring up his past ''a little bit ''.

"My understandng is that there is a little more to this than is being admitted/stated" - if that is the case then NCFC need to tell us the whole truth.

Has it not occurred to NCFC that BBC as a national organisation may come out in support of their Eastern collegues?

Who will be the biggest loser in all this?  Our main sponsors.

Why are some people on this message board so unbelievably thick?

The comment on the show basically said the CMS deal was completed. That was not allowed, pure and simple.

It has nothing to do with ''speculation'' which is of course absolutely fine otherwise we wouldn''t have these media outlets...

Would there of been this sort of reaction had we won Tuesday night? Probably not

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Why are some people on this message board so unbelievably thick? The comment on the show basically said the CMS deal was completed. That was not allowed, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with ''speculation'' which is of course absolutely fine otherwise we wouldn''t have these media outlets... Would there of been this sort of reaction had we won Tuesday night? Probably not[/quote]

"unbelievably thick" - Nice Mr Know-it-all

"not allowed" - since when have we lived under a dicatorship, is freedom of speach not allowed in this country.

Are we all missing a big point here? Didn''t Dion break the story while chatting to Holland?

It wasn''t like a press statement from Look East, it was the late night show and our own Ex Player!

Have the club banned Dion from Carrow Road too? He is after all part of the media now.

I find this a very shoddy business and to actually come out with this on the official club site is very childish in my view.

There is another question to all this, my wife’s company has been charged £ 13,000 for advertising hoardings around the pitch this season, I''m sure less media coverage might have an impact too for those who have bought advertising.

From the NCFC statement

"They know exactly what they need to do to regain that access. One simple phonecall is all that it would take and we very much hope they will make that call as we would prefer for this issue to be resolved"

What''s the betting that this simple phone call is not one saying sorry, but naming the source of the CMS story" ?

And if it is, it might explain the standoff between NCFC and BBC East.

[quote user=" jarroldstander"]From the NCFC statement

"They know exactly what they need to do to regain that access. One simple phonecall is all that it would take and we very much hope they will make that call as we would prefer for this issue to be resolved"

What''s the betting that this simple phone call is not one saying sorry, but naming the source of the CMS story" ?

And if it is, it might explain the standoff between NCFC and BBC East.[/quote]

Id say you have hit the nail on the head there mate.

As for Dion getting all the blame - was Dion not just the presenter on the show and therefore reading a script? (I might be wrong on that one?)