Sign in to follow this  
CantonsHero

If you were in charge of FIFA/UEFA/FA

What would you do?

1. First of all the Champion of every country in their remit gets entry into the Champions League first round.

2. The teams who get to the Semi-Final of the Champions League automatically get entry to the competition the following year as do the two teams who get to the final of the Europa League. Those are freebee places and do not effect the amount their respective leagues get.

3. As most countries have two cups which seems pointless, have 2 different competitions. For example the FA Cup stays as it is, where as the League Cup becomes the National Cup whereby teams are only allowed to enter players of that teams Nationality. Both have equal prizes: Automatic entry into a later round of the Europa League.

This would mean that teams qualifying due to league position would enter at one stage and teams who legitimately won a competition would enter later on.

4. A review board. At the end of the game, an opponents manager can ask for footage of an incident to be reviewed by a committee. If a player is found to have dived/fouled then they get a retrospective yellow card. These get added to any in game cards. (So a carded player who later gets judged to have dived gets a retrospective red card).

If I were the head of the Scottish FA I would turn their 4 leagues into two leagues of twenty. No better way to raise attendances at smaller clubs than to give them a home game against Celtic, and a home game against Rangers, every year.

I''d turn the league cup into a ''first to score'' competition, to save fans the misery if they look like Norwich did last night. It would also give small teams a great chance of actually winning it.

[quote user="LeJuge"]If I were the head of the Scottish FA I would turn their 4 leagues into two leagues of twenty. No better way to raise attendances at smaller clubs than to give them a home game against Celtic, and a home game against Rangers, every year. [/quote]i agree with this, i also think longer term it would make Scottish football more competitive.i''d ensure the champions league was for CHAMPIONS ergo people who win something the league, the FA cup and the league cup.... if you finish 2nd you are not a champion... ergo you dont enter the champions league.I''d bring the NFL salary cap format into football, Nasri at Wigan, Lampard at stoke, Rooney at Norwich... All would become possibilities... there would be harsh punishments for those that break the cap in big fines, a reduced cap for that team for the following season or a transfer ban... I have gone on about this before on here.the last thing i would do would be to allow shared TV rights for games. no sky monopoly etc. Games are decided by an outside panel and allocated to channels accordingly.

The problem with the Scottish one is that the changes to the Premier League have to get a majority backing and that wont happen. Why would Inverness say trade in 2 lucrative home games against the Glasgow teams for a set of games against Division 1 opponents.

They wouldn''t.

Say UEFA change the rules to say that you can only get Champions League places if your main division has 20 teams in it; then watch them change.

I like the Champions League for Champions idea. Three places available to each country with the winner of the Europa League and Champions League getting an automatic slot.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]The problem with the Scottish one is that the changes to the Premier League have to get a majority backing and that wont happen. Why would Inverness say trade in 2 lucrative home games against the Glasgow teams for a set of games against Division 1 opponents.

They wouldn''t.

Say UEFA change the rules to say that you can only get Champions League places if your main division has 20 teams in it; then watch them change.

I like the Champions League for Champions idea. Three places available to each country with the winner of the Europa League and Champions League getting an automatic slot.[/quote]If every team in Scotland voted it would get a ''yes'' majority. The Scottish FA is in charge of football in Scotland, not just the SPL!Technically though they would only lose an average of 1 big game per year, seeing as they tend to play one at home and one away in the last third of the season. Playing Rangers and Celtic less would give teams like Motherwell, Hibs, and Hearts, a better chance of actually competing with the big two. A less predictable league would raise attendances all round, and they might find that they get allocated another European place if the league raises its standards a little. Which Inverness fan is going to want to watch their team play St Mirren for the third time in a season? It would also reduce the risk of Inverness getting relegated too, and seeing as they are currently sitting at the bottom of the league with 1 point from 5 games, they won''t be playing Celtic or Rangers next year at this rate. Sure they would love a game against Queen of the South right now!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="LeJuge"]If I were the head of the Scottish FA I would turn their 4 leagues into two leagues of twenty.

No better way to raise attendances at smaller clubs than to give them a home game against Celtic, and a home game against Rangers, every year.
[/quote]

i agree with this, i also think longer term it would make Scottish football more competitive.

i''d ensure the champions league was for CHAMPIONS ergo people who win something the league, the FA cup and the league cup.... if you finish 2nd you are not a champion... ergo you dont enter the champions league.

I''d bring the NFL salary cap format into football, Nasri at Wigan, Lampard at stoke, Rooney at Norwich... All would become possibilities... there would be harsh punishments for those that break the cap in big fines, a reduced cap for that team for the following season or a transfer ban... I have gone on about this before on here.

the last thing i would do would be to allow shared TV rights for games. no sky monopoly etc. Games are decided by an outside panel and allocated to channels accordingly.
[/quote]

This is the point I was going to post. Why do 2nd and 3rd place in the PL get automatic entry to the CL? The name Champions league is for teams that have won something. Not Arsenal who''ve not won any trophy for 6 years or whatever it is. This would then also increase the status of the Carlig cup and stop claubs playing their reserves in it.

[quote user="LeJuge"]If I were the head of the Scottish FA I would turn their 4 leagues into two leagues of twenty.

No better way to raise attendances at smaller clubs than to give them a home game against Celtic, and a home game against Rangers, every year.
[/quote]

Totally agree, but don''t forget who''s chief executive of the Scottish Premier League - so that''ll be a no go.

Do as they do in American Football and publish player wages.It stops players from asking too much money above their ability and fans have more of an idea of a clubs finances. 

[quote user="Marigold"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="LeJuge"]If I were the head of the Scottish FA I would turn their 4 leagues into two leagues of twenty.

[/quote]

i agree with this, i also think longer term it would make Scottish football more competitive.

i''d ensure the champions league was for CHAMPIONS ergo people who win something the league, the FA cup and the league cup.... if you finish 2nd you are not a champion... ergo you dont enter the champions league.

I''d bring the NFL salary cap format into football, Nasri at Wigan, Lampard at stoke, Rooney at Norwich... All would become possibilities... there would be harsh punishments for those that break the cap in big fines, a reduced cap for that team for the following season or a transfer ban... I have gone on about this before on here.

the last thing i would do would be to allow shared TV rights for games. no sky monopoly etc. Games are decided by an outside panel and allocated to channels accordingly.
[/quote]

This is the point I was going to post. Why do 2nd and 3rd place in the PL get automatic entry to the CL? The name Champions league is for teams that have won something. Not Arsenal who''ve not won any trophy for 6 years or whatever it is. This would then also increase the status of the Carlig cup and stop claubs playing their reserves in it.

[/quote]

It''s all to do with the European co-efficients which each member nation of UEFA are scored against - the higher your score the more teams you are allowed in the Champions League - German recently overtook Italy in the co-efficiant meaning they get an extra place in the competition. The current UEFA rules are that teams can only qualify for the CL through their legaue placing and not a cup competition - this is due to the varying strenght of leagues and their cups. Most countries only run one cup competition so it would be unfair to allocate that way.

In fairness it probably shouldn''t be called the Champions League anymore as it does include a large amount of runners up etc, but teams that qualify as the Champions in the respective countries are often placed straight into the League round. By allowing several teams from each country it helps break what would become increasingly monopolised leagues - imagine if only 1 English team was included and received an extra £20 - £30 than any other team - it would soon become a one team League.

The problem with introducing a salary cap is it would have to apply to all the teams across UEFA - otherwise all the star players would just head to Leagues which didn''t have the cap - also how do you fix a level? Considering each country will have different tax rates and currencies. A European wide salary cap would probably just result in more players heading to the MLS and then those Leagues being the most prestigious in the world - it isn''t teams which make a league it''s the players in those teams. It can work in the NFL as it is all one country and a sport which is pretty much only played in America.

I think UEFA are generally doing a good job - the Financial Fair Play rules (if they work) will go some way towards balancing out the money issues, the investigation into Man City will be very interesting and I personally think they should pass a ruling that the money a club raises through sponsership from its owners should be discounted - this will stop the questions over whether the Etihad deal at Man City is fair or not. UEFA is also bringing in tighter regulations regarding the requirement for "Home Grown" and "Club Grown" players.

One the subject of the League Cup I don''t think any changes are needed, at the moment it is a competition that any Premier League team - if they go for it - could probably win. Making the rewards greater would mean it would just be constantly won by the same old teams.

I would propose scrapping the current UEFA competitions and replace them with:

UEFA European Cup - Only the winners of each UEFA country qualify. Ties are cup based 2 legs except the final

Remaining places split by:

Uefa Cup - teams finishing 2-4 in each country qualify - 2 legged competition including the final.

Cup winners Cup - winners of domestic cups qualifiy.

Additionally, matches must be broadcast on terrestial tv and clubs must have 9 home grown players in each team.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Do as they do in American Football and publish player wages.It stops players from asking too much money above their ability and fans have more of an idea of a clubs finances.  [/quote]its the sponsorships they need to publish! I wonder how much Micheal Strahan made from Right Guard....Troy Polamalu wouldn''t have done this for free either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pckz7q02xxY&NR=1 (the best sports video i have ever seen btw)

I would stop being so feeble over cheating, and the solution is so simple. If someone is found to be diving/writhing around in agony when nothing has happened, a retrospective ban for however many games deemed necessary. People would stop diving immediately. Too bad they chickened out over Eduardo, as that could have been the start of something good.

There is an awful lot of nonsence being posted here!

The Champions League - consider only allowing the champions to compete. That could mean Linfield, Shamrock Rovers, APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus) and HB Torshavn (Faroe Isles) taking part in the competition and Manchester City, Chelsea A C Milan, Real Madrid not taking part.

Surely what is needed is a competition for the best teams and to this end I would suggest the European League is well overdue. The last 16 of the Champions League together with the last four of a subsidiary competition from the remaining 16 teams could set up a League for the following season.

With a competition set up in the same way at the moment for the domestic league winners, runners up top three or four the finalists of that competition could be promoted to the new league and the bottom two relegated.

Domestic cup competitions could run in parallel including the ''super'' teams which would add much needed spice to the FA Cup.

I would also consider looking carefully at some of the rules of the game, ban the loan of players as it is becoming ridiculous that the richest clubs can have so many players on their books and just loan them out and affect other leagues and clubs by their decisions and to that end I would restrict the number of players a club could register.

I''d be all for a ''super'' league, as long as there was a potential way in for the rest of the clubs.

I wouldn''t want Man United and the like guarenteed places every year in the top league.

1. Bring back the European Champions Cup (none of this Champions League nonsense) which will be contested by the winners of the various European leagues. Straight knockout, no seeding. UEFA Cup for league positions. Cup Winners Cup for all domestic cup winners. Winners of the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup gain entry to the European Champions Cup the folllowing season.2. Abolish yellow cards and bring in sin bins. 15 minutes in the sin bin for diving, time wasting, professional fouls, (including deliberate handball and those cynical hacks around the halfway line that we all used to laugh about Paul Scholes making) dissent and persistant fouling. Red cards for violent conduct only. Too many matches are being ruined by a team being reduced to ten men for nothing challenges.3. Take the timekeeping away from the referee. Have an official in the stands keeping time and stopping the clock for any lengthy delays. He then advises the referee when to blow for half/full time.4. A blanket ban on any music being played when a goal is scored [:D]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

There is an awful lot of nonsence being posted here!

The Champions League - consider only allowing the champions to compete. That could mean Linfield, Shamrock Rovers, APOEL Nicosia (Cyprus) and HB Torshavn (Faroe Isles) taking part in the competition and Manchester City, Chelsea A C Milan, Real Madrid not taking part.

[/quote]

This is exactly right - there are 53 member nations within UEFA, meaning 53 Champions. Try making an unseeded straight knock out competition from 53 - it''s actually impossible, you need 32 teams or 64.

The main reason teams go so hard for the Champions League is the sheer amount of money its worth, £20m for being in the group stages alone. Removing the big teams will result in TV revenue reducing and the prize money reducing - you will end up with a European version of the Carling Cup. While in the Europa Cup there will be loads of big teams battling it out, the normally smaller competition will become bigger than the Champion''s League. No one cares if the teams are really ''Champions'' they want to see the best players playing. What do you imagine the viewing figures for San Marino Champions Tre Fiori vs Welsh Campions Bangor will be? Larger than seeing 3rd place Bayern Munich vs runners up Real Madrid?