Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Shirt

The missing striker?

Martin played well in the second half again Stoke, but Holt played well in the first, wouldn''t say Martin had played well enough to replace Holt in the line-up. But I do think the way Martin played, as in the style rather than quality means he is the obvious backup for Holt, both strikers against Stoke seemed to be playing a targetman style role, something Morison, Jackson and Vaughan aren''t able to do.

But as for against Chelsea, 1 up front with wingers, either Holt or Morison, depending on whether we are going direct or not.

I thought Martin was dropping deep in to midfield a lot trying to find space and collect the ball, to be fair. Almost false number 9-esque allowing space for the wingers to run into and dragging CB''s out.

If we had signed different players people would be crying out to buy Morison and Vaughan.

The grass is always greener ...

We have Holt, Vaughan, Morison, Jackson, Martin & Wilbraham.

We won''t sign any more strikers. 

Only one has played two games of Premiership football this season it''s too early to say we are too lightweight in this area give them a chance.  

cantiaci in the premiership you do not have time to come to that decision.

In the championship where we expected nothing people were saying martin or jackson this very early on.

People will have their opinions, I think many of us would have said we needed a proven player upfront.

It is never to early to say we are too lightweight. That time is not given in the premiership, we need points as quickly as we can get them and we need our players on form as quickly as possible.

I would say Wilby will be very unlikely to play this season upfront, martin will be involved but with morrison and vaughan out he had to prove a point and he did very well.

Jackson has always worried me, I hope he proves me wrong. Gillingham fans said he needed 3 chances to score one goal for them before we got them. He came good at the very end of last season, but if he hadn''t I would be wondering why he was here for this years campaign premiership or not.

There is no time in the premiership to be saying how can we judge already our players. Because unlike chelsea who have players who will storm this division, we do not. We had to be ready on the first game of the season and I still feel that even with 10 men with a minute to go we shoudl have held out against stoke.

For me the west brom game is very big, this game who knows what happens but you need players who can have impact. Our forwards from last season faltered at times. We do not have that luxury when in the prem.

[quote user="smooth"]cantiaci in the premiership you do not have time to come to that decision. In the championship where we expected nothing people were saying martin or jackson this very early on. People will have their opinions, I think many of us would have said we needed a proven player upfront. It is never to early to say we are too lightweight. That time is not given in the premiership, we need points as quickly as we can get them and we need our players on form as quickly as possible. I would say Wilby will be very unlikely to play this season upfront, martin will be involved but with morrison and vaughan out he had to prove a point and he did very well. Jackson has always worried me, I hope he proves me wrong. Gillingham fans said he needed 3 chances to score one goal for them before we got them. He came good at the very end of last season, but if he hadn''t I would be wondering why he was here for this years campaign premiership or not. There is no time in the premiership to be saying how can we judge already our players. Because unlike chelsea who have players who will storm this division, we do not. We had to be ready on the first game of the season and I still feel that even with 10 men with a minute to go we shoudl have held out against stoke. For me the west brom game is very big, this game who knows what happens but you need players who can have impact. Our forwards from last season faltered at times. We do not have that luxury when in the prem.[/quote]

At some point you have to trust the decisions and planning of the management. Whoever we signed (''proven'' or not) they would need time before we judged them.

What ''proven'' striker do you think we should have signed?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]I thought Martin was dropping deep in to midfield a lot trying to find space and collect the ball, to be fair. Almost false number 9-esque allowing space for the wingers to run into and dragging CB''s out.[/quote]I think both Martin and Holty tried to do this last week.When the centre halves are dragged out of position though, we need pace upfront to get in behind and somebody with the ball playing skills of Fox to pick the passes.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]I thought Martin was dropping deep in to midfield a lot trying to find space and collect the ball, to be fair. Almost false number 9-esque allowing space for the wingers to run into and dragging CB''s out.[/quote]

I think both Martin and Holty tried to do this last week.

When the centre halves are dragged out of position though, we need pace upfront to get in behind and somebody with the ball playing skills of Fox to pick the passes.
[/quote]

Stop speaking in riddles, Smudger. You just want Jackson to start. [;)]

On the subject of pace I agree, we need it. However, I thought Morison provided that in the Wigan match. Problem was he was doing it out wide too often. 4-2-3-1 today with Fox and Johnson, and Wes/Martin in behind Morison/Holt.

And before you start Smudger, I know it is highly unlikely Holt will be dropped. [:)]