Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Referees Are Only Human!

Referees are only human......of course they are.

Being human makes them pre-intimidated of ''big'' clubs and ''big'' players.

Being human means top players know the referee will act predictably when presented with dives in the penalty area.

Being human means that familiarity with established players - we see the ref talking to these players by first names or nicknames - affects their objectivity.

Being human means they know disciplinary action against certain players at certain clubs will be re-run and discussed and receive greater media attention involving their judgement and potential villification.

The same week Ferguson buries the hatchet with the BBC he lays into the FA with an expletive laden comment that his club don''t get treated well.

At the moment Norwich City take the field knowing they are not on a level playing field with the officials.

It is about time Paul Lambert and David McNally risked the wrath of the FA by highlighting this. I bet Colin at QPR would be doing so now and I''m afraid this is all part of playing the game because at this level you have to play mind games with officials who will take the easy options i.e. what is the risk to them in sending off a John Ruddy as opposed to a Fernando Torres.

It is not just enough to play well in the Premier League; you have to play the game with hystrionics on the pitch and comments off it.

Referees have created the situation leading to the need for a ''respect'' campaign by losing their objectivity and failing to act without prejudice. This has led to players all resorting to the same unfair behaviour to con the ref and managers trying to affect detrimental refereeing by commenting on the referee before a ball is kicked.

A ''Corinthian'' side would have no chance in the EPL. Sadly, if we want to survive this season we need to employ some of the dark arts we come up against.

Ive just said in another thread, we have to take some responsibility and stop giving the referee''s a opportunity to make these ''mistakes''

After getting mugged, any strong attempt by De Leat was always going to result in a penalty. Leon Barnett mis-controlling the ball and then clipping Walters gave the ref the opportuinty to give the pen and sending off. Ruddy going down knew he had to 100% get a touch on the ball or he would conceed a penalty and risk being sent off!

We have to stop these naive mistakes.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"] Being human makes them pre-intimidated of ''big'' clubs and ''big'' players. [/quote]

Very Good post Rude.

I''ve highlighted the main point.

All we want is some consistency.

As a Ref I was always taught you must ''be seen to be fair''. Some of these guys who Ref at the top level should take a good long look at themselves sometimes.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Referees are only human......of course they are. [/quote]What proof do you have for this sweeping statement![;)]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]Thank you for putting into words what I can only express as a loud growling noise![/quote]

[Y]

I will just end up swearing so i will leave it to others to write sense!

"Ive just said in another thread, we have to take some responsibility and stop giving the referee''s a opportunity to make these ''mistakes''."

This is one of the saddest things about the whole incomptent refereeing issue. Fans who have been short-changed by the atrocious officials are actually now coming forward saying that their teams need to change the way they play so the referees aren''t given the opportunity to make the mistakes.

The only thing that needs to change is the officials, either through the introduction of technology or recruitment of people who have played the game to a certain level. Consistently poor referees need to be sanctioned. If I was as woeful at my job as some Premier League referees are at theirs, I wouldn''t still have that job.

To emphasise the point, I am currently watching Lee Probert refereeing a Premier League game. Lee Probert.

[quote user="canarydan23"]"Ive just said in another thread, we have to take some responsibility and stop giving the referee''s a opportunity to make these ''mistakes''."

This is one of the saddest things about the whole incomptent refereeing issue. Fans who have been short-changed by the atrocious officials are actually now coming forward saying that their teams need to change the way they play so the referees aren''t given the opportunity to make the mistakes.

The only thing that needs to change is the officials,
either through the introduction of technology or recruitment of people who have played the game to a certain level. Consistently poor referees need to be sanctioned. If I was as woeful at my job as some Premier League referees are at theirs, I wouldn''t still have that job.

To emphasise the point, I am currently watching Lee Probert refereeing a Premier League game. Lee Probert.[/quote]Regretfully canarydan23 I recall only too well over 50 years ago leaving CR many times saying to my mates "ther''s only one thing wrong with football, and that''s the standard of refereeing".  So you see we haven''t moved on one little bit!!

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"] Being human makes them pre-intimidated of ''big'' clubs and ''big'' players. [/quote]

Very Good post Rude.

I''ve highlighted the main point.

All we want is some consistency.

As a Ref I was always taught you must ''be seen to be fair''. Some of these guys who Ref at the top level should take a good long look at themselves sometimes.

[/quote]What does pre-intimidated mean???  They seem to be just sh!t scared to send off a ''name'' in fear of getting a hard time in case it turns out to be too harsh.  Whereas who''ll kick up over little ol'' Norwich.

[quote user="canarydan23"]"Ive just said in another thread, we have to take some responsibility and stop giving the referee''s a opportunity to make these ''mistakes''." This is one of the saddest things about the whole incomptent refereeing issue. Fans who have been short-changed by the atrocious officials are actually now coming forward saying that their teams need to change the way they play so the referees aren''t given the opportunity to make the mistakes. The only thing that needs to change is the officials, either through the introduction of technology or recruitment of people who have played the game to a certain level. Consistently poor referees need to be sanctioned. If I was as woeful at my job as some Premier League referees are at theirs, I wouldn''t still have that job. To emphasise the point, I am currently watching Lee Probert refereeing a Premier League game. Lee Probert.[/quote]

Lee Probert has had a fantastic match. Missed nothing - and knows the rules, unlike the dozy commentators.

What does pre-intimidated mean? It means where certain managers - especially Ferguson - comment on a referee before the match, quite often citing their refereeing of a previous game.

The referee goes into the game knowing that if they make a decision against that manager''s side they will be complying with a prophecy of their refereeing whether justified or not.

I wonder how many referees are prevented from officiating in matches involving certain clubs because they didn''t make the decisions that club liked in a previous game? If this is the case then even-handed refs are prevented from officiating and are replaced by puppets of the ''big clubs.''

Proof if it''s needed that Ramires was already falling downhttp://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/122286129/Chelsea-FCThat said I''m far more annoyed about the ref being a coward over Torres.

Can someone ask the Ref why he booked Naughton (when he slipped and tried to pull back the Chelsea player) and yet thought Torres''s hack on Johnson warranted the smallest of conversations? Fair? You are having a laugh. I''m not saying he cheated, I''m saying he is incompetent

[quote user="canarydan23"]"Ive just said in another thread, we have to take some responsibility and stop giving the referee''s a opportunity to make these ''mistakes''." This is one of the saddest things about the whole incomptent refereeing issue. Fans who have been short-changed by the atrocious officials are actually now coming forward saying that their teams need to change the way they play so the referees aren''t given the opportunity to make the mistakes. The only thing that needs to change is the officials, either through the introduction of technology or recruitment of people who have played the game to a certain level. Consistently poor referees need to be sanctioned. If I was as woeful at my job as some Premier League referees are at theirs, I wouldn''t still have that job. To emphasise the point, I am currently watching Lee Probert refereeing a Premier League game. Lee Probert.[/quote]

So you dont want us to cut the mistakes out? You want De Leat to continue getting mugged on the half way line and chasing back? You want Leon  mis-controlling on the edge of his box and you want Ruddy rushing out?

If we dont give refs the opportunity to make mistakes, then they cant, its as simple as that.

Having just seen it again I think the ref got it right - a clear foul in the box and a red card.

Yes Torres should have gone before too.

But all three goals came from poor defence, Whitbread, tierny and johnson all neglected basingwa for the opener, our lack of pace (pilkington failed to keep up with ramires) is what gave ramires the opportunity and ruddy rushed out too fast and gave ramires an option, and both de laet (who should have played safe, but was too adventurous and tbh on a level beyond his team mate) and pilkington (simply not expecting a pass and reacted painfully slowly to the pass) did not deal with a safe situation.

We will be punished with goals for this type of defending.

And we will also continue to be punished for our poor finishing, Holt (twice) martin and morison need to be more confident and clinical, 4 excellent chances and we score from one harder than any of them.

But it shows we will make chances - now to take them and tighten up at the back!