Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Ward injury latest?

With Ayala out injured and Whitbread also struggling recently, what is the latest on Ward''s injury?

Is he going to be out for far longer than we expected?

Ward is still on crutches. He came into the restaurant at By Appointment last week. I help him, by holding the door. Had a chat and he said hopefully back in training in a couple of weeks. His wife was very nice!!!!

Hope he is back soon. I think that he is very under-rated by most and expect Ward and De Laet to form our first choice centre half pairing if they are able to get a run of a few games together.

I was worried that Ward could be out a lot longer than we all expected, so fingers crossed for a speedy return from me.

[quote user="Smudger"]Hope he is back soon. I think that he is very under-rated by most and expect Ward and De Laet to form our first choice centre half pairing if they are able to get a run of a few games together. I was worried that Ward could be out a lot longer than we all expected, so fingers crossed for a speedy return from me.[/quote]

I agree Smudger. I believe Barnett will prove to be an ongoing liability at this level. He definitely has poor distribution and giving the ball away at this level can mean giving the match away. Whitbread also has to be careful to avoid unforced errors. Obviously, within the squad, they will still be available for back-up and, obviously, on occasions will do their job. However, Ward reads the game better than either and De Laet is simply a class above. Having said that all four of them will be stretched at times. They just will.

Central defence will be one of our toughest areas to get right - it is so about partnerships.

So far de laet has impressed me.   Of the others the situation remains unchanged, the rest are all much of a muchness. 

Personally I think Barnett has a miniscule edge.  He has pace and is strong in the air,  however his positioning, touch and distribution does cause him and us problems.   Whitbread reads the game well, is strong in the air and composed on the ball,  but is short of pace and as with Wigan does seem to create us problems too regularly.  Ward probably reads the game best and is the best tackler, He made loads of last minute blocks last year but that tells me he was out of position to start with and may lack concentration,  together with his lack of pace and strikers increased effectiveness in the prem my fear is that will expose us.   The unknown is Ayala, if he is an amalgam of the best of what we already have then play him with de Laet.  

To me there is no outstanding candidate and none are THE solution - what we must not do is fall into the mistake of assuming that the one not playing is THE solution - we did that with the charlton/brennan/drury rotation at left back last time - and drury WAS the best of the trio,  but when others were not playing they were apparently the obvious solution.   All three cbs have strengths but there is not a gnats chuff between them overall.

I will be happy with the one who can build a natural partnership with de Laet.     

I heard yesterday, albeit in the pub, that Ward was likely to miss most of the season. He, according to this bloke, said that he should have had an operation in the close season and the club said leave it. Ward is now not a happy chappy. Also Ayala was likely to be out longer than 2 months and had gone home to Spain for an Op. It may well be bullcrap as I didn''t know this bloke from Adam but I was earwigging whilst watching the game. I am hoping that the bloke was a Billy Bullshitter.

Not Guilty! I''m hoping that the guy you were talking to is a Billy Bullshitter too YB.  I have a nasty feeling that there could be something in the Ward out for longer than we all expect story though.  Wrotten luck that the cover we brought in ( Ayala) is also out for at least two months.What is the news on Whitbread''s fitness after yesterday too I wonder?A bit of a worry... [:|]

[quote user="yellow blood"]I heard yesterday, albeit in the pub, that Ward was likely to miss most of the season. He, according to this bloke, said that he should have had an operation in the close season and the club said leave it. Ward is now not a happy chappy. Also Ayala was likely to be out longer than 2 months and had gone home to Spain for an Op. It may well be bullcrap as I didn''t know this bloke from Adam but I was earwigging whilst watching the game. I am hoping that the bloke was a Billy Bullshitter.[/quote]

The crucial thing is did "this bloke" mention anyone''s cousin?