Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

De Laet

Generally very impressed with his usual assured performances, but he does seem to have these rather strange rushes of blood where he tries something centre backs generally shouldn''t try, e.g. the comedy pass against Wigan and then yesterday the blind pass into the box which was a gift for Mata.  We''re going to concede a few anyway, there''s not much point in gift-wrapping the ones we can prevent.  Can Culverhouse coach him in the art of "safety first"?

It''s the risk you take playing youngsters. Such mistakes are par for the course.

On the plus side you get pace, hunger and talent ... but at an affordable price.

To be fair to both of them, it was 100 minutes into the game, absolutely pissing it down and they had been playing with 10 men against one of the best teams in the world for 20 minutes, I''d imagine they were a bit knackered, and that can always lead to silly mistakes.

He reminds me v much of Dave Watson in his first season with us. Was superb but went something like 20 consecutive games making one colossal blooper, but was immense for the rest of the game.

I agree its about his age and inexperience. But I have seen enough to know he is better than the rest we have and yes I do think he will quickly learn.

The wigan mistake I dont think will be repeated and I dont think he thought it wa a blind pass, he knew Pilkington WAS there so to try and keep possession he squared it ahead of safety first, sadly he did not communicate with KP and I agree with the previous poster that KP was imply not expecting to have to help out his colleague, was completely flat footed and should have done more, had he been on his toes he would have cleared more effectively than de laet could. I suspect a full back there would have been ready

Been very impressed with De Laet. Makes some wonderful covering tackles and interceptions.He does need to cut out these silly errors that have led to two preventable goals. Open today''s Observer newspaper and the headline reads "Mighty Mata" all because De Laet couldn''t be sensible enough to clear the ball up the touchline.Still, he is the best we have, and hopefully is learning fast too. Just a bit more common sense is needed and he could be our player of the season.

Best player so far for me too. I actually think he did the right thing in laying it off to Pilkington to tonk up the pitch, he just unfortunately overhit his pass. It was clear what he was trying to do and it should have been very comfortable. Unfortunately he just got too much on it and it went away from Pilkington.

He looked so p#ssed off with himself after the goal went in that I think that will be a lesson learned. He''ll just get better and better.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Had it been 1-1 he would have cleared it into row Z, in my opinion he was trying to keep possession to set up a last attack.[/quote]

This. He tried to do the right thing under the circumstances. Thought he was very good again. Its not just his pace but also his speed of thought which are valuable.

De Laet has shown enough already for us all to recognise that he is going to be a serious player - probably a Manure regular. He will learn from these early errors and I suspect he will be a front runner for POY if he stays fit.

We are lucky to have this lad  on the boat!

Class player play with passion and without any fever...

Misstake for goal come mainly because Pilky start run with delay mostly ebcause rain was heavy and flood the grass.

Over all impressive game but must say that Chelsea is far way at this moment from man u pool and man city seems they need time to rebuild and manager to be settled.

Morison if was more combinative one 2-3 attacks and run''s who make we izi can take pts from that one.

totally agree so far, player of the season.

Pilkington could have been more aware but not really to fault, they are obth new to the club. But I think the quality from his man u training is on show. Could be a great acquisition. If he had an injury like our other centre backs I would be more worried for our start to this season.

Manchester United may have jones, smalling and other centre halves, but they have a very good one at loan at NCFC.

He did over hit the pass but I don''t think Pilkington was aware as he could have been.

Also we were trailing in injury time, no doubt we would have all screamed in frustration had he just knocked it out of play.

Also the pen was preventable yesterday and I would have pinned this on De Laet.  I thought he was carrying a yellow card at the time but I was wrong.De Laet had the opportunity to win the ball, or bring down his man on the halfway line with two defenders just behind him at the time.  Once he missed even putting in a challenge there the ball was dinked over the top and Chelsea were in one on one with Ruddy, unless Naughton already on a yellow attempted a nigh on impossible challenge from behind which would have resulted in his sending off with him on a yellow at the time.

Having said that I too like De Laet and think that it will be him and Ward first choice if we can get them to have a run of games together.Both of them can play football and keep posession and both organise the rest of the defence better than Barnett and Whitbread do for me (both extremly important factors in the make up of a good centre half at the top level).

I would agree with that Smudge. Chelsea were a bit cuter than us at times. Which made the difference in the end. Did you notice the blatant handball (think it was Mikel) which stopped Morison potentially running through on goal. The referee didnt give it but I think Mikel knew exactly what he was doing.

To be honest all of our new signings have seemingly adapted very quickly to Premiership life (barring Vaughn and Ayala who haven''t had alot of game time to judge fairly).

I''d love to sign Naughton and De Laet permenantly if we had the chance but I can see them doing a Lansbury and trying their luck at their parent clubs (understandably).

smudger it was tieney who bottled out of the challenge in chelsea''s half. Now I rate Tierney very highly and he has performed brilliantly this year but that goal was not down to de laet.

If he performs like this all season there will be alot of clubs looking at his signature with so many young players at man u in his preferred position.

[quote user="smooth"]smudger it was tieney who bottled out of the challenge in chelsea''s half. Now I rate Tierney very highly and he has performed brilliantly this year but that goal was not down to de laet.

If he performs like this all season there will be alot of clubs looking at his signature with so many young players at man u in his preferred position.[/quote]Exactly what I was saying, he is so far down the pecking order, I wonder though why Fergie went in for Jones?

De Laet was superb on saturday. The mistake in the 103rd min of the game was purely because, with time virtually up, kicking into the stand was no good to us. We had to take a risk for a last ditch attempt at an attack to make it 2-2. I won''t berate him for that. Class player for us with excellent pace.

[quote user="Unhinged Wizard"]I don''t know what the general consensus is, but I know a few Man Yoo fans and they all think he''s shyte! [/quote]We''ll have him then because he looks quality to me! Pace, strength, a reasonable passer and a good header...what more do you want from a centre back.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="Unhinged Wizard"]I don''t know what the general consensus is, but I know a few Man Yoo fans and they all think he''s shyte! [/quote]We''ll have him then because he looks quality to me! Pace, strength, a reasonable passer and a good header...what more do you want from a centre back.[/quote]If your Man U, either a decent amount of experience at Premiership level (hence why De Laet is here) or the promise he will be a future England international of the highest caliber. To say he is Sh)te is a but over the top, but Man U can afford to be picky and they have other, probably better options across the back four.

Looks a good player but by the same token he has already made mistakes that have directly lead to 2 of the 5 goals we have conceded (although you could argue that Pilkington could have helped him a bit more with Chelsea''s 3rd). If I remember correctly it was also him who let Ivanovic go for that unmarked header he somehow managed to put wide.

Do think he''s a good player though.

[quote user="GJP"]

Looks a good player but by the same token he has already made mistakes that have directly lead to 2 of the 5 goals we have conceded (although you could argue that Pilkington could have helped him a bit more with Chelsea''s 3rd). If I remember correctly it was also him who let Ivanovic go for that unmarked header he somehow managed to put wide.

Do think he''s a good player though.

[/quote]He is still young and looking to get experience as said in I tip my hat - Ritchie De Laet. Will be huge for us and shows just how quality he is on the ball and in general when you can make all these mistakes and still be seen as our best CB!