Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Owain Tudor Jones managed 1 game for Inverness.....

Before getting a cartilage injury and requiring surgery.Whilst I sympathise, he really was another shocking Gunn signing wasn''t he? We all knew that he was a crock when he signed.Right up there with Goran Maric who Lambert said tried to control the ball when he first got to the club and chested it further than Lambert could kick it in the process, and Simon Whaley, who apparently doesn''t have the mental strength to be a footballer (again not my words) and is now playing for a team lower than Lowestoft in the football pyramid. I know that there are some Gunn fans on this board still, but come on, I reckon we''d be in League Two and in administration by now under him. What would the team have looked like? How long would Grant Holt have stuck around? Here''s a Gunn team, pretty much:                              TheoklitisOtsemober   Askou        Nelson      DruryWhaley       OTJ           Gill           Hoolahan                   Holt         Maric / CuretonThat''s a League Two XI, it really is, with an inevitably unhappy Hoolahan and Holt in. I don''t have a hatred of Gunn, in fact I grew up worshipping him as a keeper, but he has to be the worst manager of the past 20 years?

[quote user="Lambo"]Move on mate, Gunn was 2 years ago now...[/quote]Yeah your right, almost ancient history that, probably not many survivors of that Gunn era and those that are left probably have amnesia or dementia right?

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Can barely be classed worst manager any way, wasn''t exactly here long enough to judge his ability fully.[/quote]Yeah because the worst manager in recent history should get two seasons right? Just to confirm that they really are the worst, for the benefit of the history books and all that?He had 21 games and two transfer windows, that was plenty enough time to judge him. That''s how long crap managers last, they get sacked quickly.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]

Gary Megson

Bryan Hamilton

Glenn Roeder

Peter Grant

[/quote]The only manager on that list with a poorer record is Megson. Bryan Hamilton, the man who brought in the likes of Steve Walsh and Raymond De Waard, actually won a higher proportion of games. That says enough.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Lambo"]Move on mate, Gunn was 2 years ago now...[/quote]Yeah your right, almost ancient history that, probably not many survivors of that Gunn era and those that are left probably have amnesia or dementia right?[/quote]haha brilliant !!

Glenn Roeder was the worst. He took over an average side and made them terrible. Gunn then took over this terrible side and wasn''t good enough to improve them. If Gunn had taken over an average side he''d have done better than Roeder with it.

Peter Grant was the worst, he started to rot that Lambert eventually finished. Everyone after Grant had no chance due to the poor players on large contracts - Roeder had to clear out so many awful players it left the squad in tatters and our only choice was to bring in loan players, or aging players on free transfers.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Peter Grant was the worst, he started to rot that Lambert eventually finished. Everyone after Grant had no chance due to the poor players on large contracts - Roeder had to clear out so many awful players it left the squad in tatters and our only choice was to bring in loan players, or aging players on free transfers.

[/quote]

---

Quite. I remember Roeder said at one point that none of the Grant players he decided he had to get rid off stayed at the Championship level. They all ended up in League One, League Two or non-League football or Scotland or where ever. There may have been a self-serving element to what he was saying but presumably it was factually correct. And the fact is he took us from rock bottom to safety that season. That was an achievement not to be sniffed at.

The problem was that what he had to do in the short term to save us for one season meant there still wasn''t a solid long-term foundation for the following season, and then his faults as a manager started to outweigh his virtues.