Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Spend now or in January?

We all seem to have been a little mesmerised by the stream of transfers this summer, with perhaps £8m plus spent, a goodly proportion of the so-called £40m to come our way by 2012.

Perhaps we are so slightly excited by the level of spending not seen for some years that we are all looking for more before the end of this day.

PL has given a fairly good hint that he wants to keep some money back, to meet needs perceivable in January.

It''s true that players are cheaper in the summer, although by today selling clubs will up the price to January levels, partly because they know our desperation and partly because they will be taking a slight risk in selling a good player now.

PL is surely right, however. It would be foolhardy to splurge all now when we don''t know what will happen between now and January.

Players can lose form, or worse, could sustain a long-term injury. Some players have shown already that they have taken to the Premiership, others have yet to do so.If we have spent out now we may have invested in the wrong areas of the side. We could finish with sveral strikers sitting it out, and no adequate fullback cover, for instance.

I would like to have insurance, to have more players, but signings now would be very short-term, be expensive and not meet our needs in December/January.

[quote user="Salopian"]We all seem to have been a little mesmerised by the stream of transfers this summer, with perhaps £8m plus spent, a goodly proportion of the so-called £40m to come our way by 2012.

Perhaps we are so slightly excited by the level of spending not seen for some years that we are all looking for more before the end of this day.

PL has given a fairly good hint that he wants to keep some money back, to meet needs perceivable in January.

It''s true that players are cheaper in the summer, although by today selling clubs will up the price to January levels, partly because they know our desperation and partly because they will be taking a slight risk in selling a good player now.

PL is surely right, however. It would be foolhardy to splurge all now when we don''t know what will happen between now and January.

Players can lose form, or worse, could sustain a long-term injury. Some players have shown already that they have taken to the Premiership, others have yet to do so.If we have spent out now we may have invested in the wrong areas of the side. We could finish with sveral strikers sitting it out, and no adequate fullback cover, for instance.

I would like to have insurance, to have more players, but signings now would be very short-term, be expensive and not meet our needs in December/January.[/quote]Remember in January you will have players in the last six months of their contract who will be able to leave for free next summer, so clubs may take a reduced fee rather than lose them for nothing. Other than an emergency loan or short-term contract for an experienced goalkeeper, I think we should go with what we have for now. Having five centre-backs on the books already is enough - Ward and Whitbread shouldn''t be out for long.

I think we would rather, as lambert has stated, have the team settled and all in place early this summer.

That is what he has done.

I do believe that is the best model than wait till January, however we will need re-inforcements at that stage, but half the season will have passed and that is the key. You need to be on form right from the start.

I agree you may pick up deals in january which is good but I agree in getting it all set now and be in the position for the campaign.

I believe we have bought all the players that Lambert had wanted, to a degree. But I also think that with Ewan Chester leaving we are still looking for a new chief scout, is that correct?

I think that is the very important position, he was highly regarded with knowledge of europe as the uk.

So I do think all the work put in last year was realised. By the end of today we will be in place till january, the players are doing well. Now is their time to step up and get on a winning run.