Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

if streaming is illegal

[quote user="Captain Obvious"]Because streaming sites themselves aren''t illegal, just streaming live TV channels is.
[/quote]

How strange. The Mods here will jump on any thread that posts links to streams, etc. but the actual sites where the stream links are not illegal. I can see this changing in the near future with our Government seemingly heel bent on controlling the internet in this country and the likes of Sky potentially losing customers.

Halfords and the likes may not have asked to have their pages shown on these sites, but the way internet advertising works means they get put on these pages. Basicly when you click a link the advertiser has to pay a charge to an 3rd party who places that advert on a space they''ve brought off x website. Does that makes sense?

And its perfectly legal at this moment in time to watch these sites, but not stream these channels from within our country.

- Submitting a stream, ie. capturing and having the stream uploaded is illegal.

- Watching the stream is legal.

- Advertisers pay groups to splash ads on pages, therefore the adverts could be on any page that a website picks to be their advertising to make their money.

Like a couple of the others have said the likes of Halfords aren''t specifically advertising on the stream sites. Halfords often use ads based on your cookies so if you''ve visited Halfords web site lately you''ll probably notice lots of Halfords ads.. if you visit Currys then you''ll see Currys ads etc etc.

[quote user="im spartacus"]ah i see that would explain the milfsgetnailed.com  advert that kept popping up on saturday  then [:$][/quote]No that was just a different tab you had open.  [:)]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Like a couple of the others have said the likes of Halfords aren''t specifically advertising on the stream sites. Halfords often use ads based on your cookies so if you''ve visited Halfords web site lately you''ll probably notice lots of Halfords ads.. if you visit Currys then you''ll see Currys ads etc etc.[/quote]That explains why I always get large breasted women, adverts for penis enlargement and gay dating.... I thought it was me[;)]

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Is there any chance Myp2p.eu will reopen the site i watched sat was a lot more complicated and cost me 12 quid a year[/quote]You PAID to watch a streamed football match??? [:O]*sniggers*

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Is there any chance Myp2p.eu will reopen the site i watched sat was a lot more complicated and cost me 12 quid a year[/quote]Readon player is free, pretty simple to use, available here and it''s possible to get most things streamed  online through it.

Pete once explain this to me as; 1) it''s our site and we can do what we want. 2) Archant has sponsors and advertisers that have conflict of interest with, not just illegal streams but also legal streams.

Both these points are totally valid, if a little annoying.

On a side note; NEVER, EVER PAY FOR STREAMS! If you have already, if it were me, I''d cancel that card.

I read a really interesting article on the BBC site last week about algorithms, which explained how this intelligent advertising thing works and how the computers have really already taken over. You will get adverts related to what you have been looking at or buying online. It was quite scary really, it also explained how the variable price setting on sites like Amazon is all done by the programs themselves, not by humans. It can go wrong however - evidently a book which was a new release and was selling well was priced at something like £25 million for a while!

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]Is there any chance Myp2p.eu will reopen the site i watched sat was a lot more complicated and cost me 12 quid a year[/quote]I managed to watch the 2nd half of the Stoke game on Myp2p. It took a lot of time to get into it though.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]Canarino is obviously spot on with his comment.

But rest assured, the companies involved know exactly where their product/brand is being advertised!!![/quote]Nonsense. If you take the Halfords example they will have a MASSIVE daily adverts budget to advertise on ad space for anyone who''s triggered their cookies by going onto Halfords site. That budget will ONLY decrease when somebody clicks on the Halfords link. So in theory if they have a £10,000 daily click budget (not unfeasible) and they are paying 25pence a click (about right) then that advert would need to be clicked 40,000 times before that advert is used up.  That is JUST clicks NOT how many times the advert has shown up. How many people have to see the advert for it to be turned into a click is anyones guess.. but how often do you click adverts on sites? 1 in 10?Trust me, they don''t have any idea where exactly they''re being advertised. And if they do they can''t do anything about it. Needle in a hay stack.

Sorry Andy, I completely disagree. They know precisely where the advert is at any one time, if not the marketing consultant they employ certainly does. They need to know this to guage effectiveness so they can increase/lower budgets accordingly.

disapointed my post i put up yesterday has vanished...here''s the word straight From Microsfot regarding back up copies.... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/legal-use-of-windows-xp-installation-disc/dc49a1cc-bba9-4035-abc3-9b946412edf1points 4 and 5 state quite clearly you can legally copy the disc and all the data on it for back up purposes...heres information on Ripping CD''shttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/rip-a-cd So you can rip your house mates, Girlfriends, or relatives CD can you?it''s all open to interpretation of course...and as i said originally watching a stream isnt illegal. is it illegal to stream it in certain countries? Yes, the Uk included... other countries may well not have laws pertaining to streaming legally or other wise.A few years ago Napster fell foul of File sharing laws and were forced to close.... There is information on the net regarding various lawsuits aimed at lime wire and the pirate bay... all with differing results. These of course aren''t streaming sites but can a country based in a country without streaming laws be penalised? Remember TWitter in the USa and the Ryan Giggs injunction?I dont think the government can monitor the internet, Its far too big and nigh on impossible to regulate.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]Sorry Andy, I completely disagree. They know precisely where the advert is at any one time, if not the marketing consultant they employ certainly does. They need to know this to guage effectiveness so they can increase/lower budgets accordingly.[/quote]You may disagree but you''re wrong. This is not how these type of ads work. I don''t know why I''m wasting my time trying to explain this but I will:From Googles own explanationMeet MaryMary''s favorite hobby is gardening. With Google''s interest-based advertising technology, Mary will see more relevant gardening ads because she visits many gardening websites. Here''s how that works:    When Mary visits websites and watches videos in the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in her browser (using a "cookie") to remember her visits. That number could look like this: 114411.    Because many of the websites that Mary visits are related to gardening, Google puts her number (114411) in the "gardening enthusiast" interest category. Similarly, if those sites have a majority of female visitors (based on aggregated survey data on site visitation), her number (114411) may be added to the ''female'' inferred demographic category.    As a result, Google may show Mary more ads that are relevant to gardening enthusiasts and women as she browses websites that are part of the Google Display Network.Now for Halfords to get involved in the lets say ''cycling'' related enthusiasts ad space they will need to specify to Google that they wish to advertise within the ad space of people who have shown interest as cycling enthusiasts.Read this carefully because it is KEY to where you''re misunderstanding the situation:Halfords submit their adverts in the form of a live banner. They make the banners in several different sizes. These banners go into Googles database and depending on Halfords ad spec they will show up in ad spaces managed by Google throughout the web.On the stream sites the owners of the stream are simply using Google ads scheme to monetise banners on their web site. They have no control over the content if they opt for the banners to show cookie related banners. Halfords also have no control other than to specify they don''t want the banners to appear on adult web sites.Some people have estimated that Google Ads feature on 1 in 10 web sites! therefore potentially Halfords banners could appear on 1 in 10 of every web site if the person had shown an interest in cycling and Halford had the budget to support.The above is the theoretical reason why you''re wrong.The logical reason why you''re wrong is that I work with Google ads on a daily basis. I am a director of a provider of e-Commerce solutions that provide hundreds of websites to businesses throughout the UK & US. My customers rely on Google ads to generate traffic and revenue and even at their scale they cannot monitor where their ads are. If they are able to identify where the ads are they can''t control them. There just isn''t the tools.