Sign in to follow this  

I hope we, as a club, will remember the lost and brave before kick off next Sunday, Ten years on from the atrocities of that day 2001. I will never forget it as a huge day in history..

Would have a tear and pride to stand silent, in the Barclay, with the live cameras, to show compassion..

Still cant get my head around the loss of the innocent..

I agree it was a bad day when 9/11 happened, but would we ever have a minute silence for the innocent hundreds of thousands that have lost their lives and homes in afghanistan and iraq? and isnt the jury stillout on who actually committed 9/11?

nice thought to respect the day, but i think we should respect the many more innocent people that have died due to trigger happy bush and blair. remember, where did the hijackers come from, thats right saudi arabia, so why the f... did we invade afghanistan and iraq? oil?

i think you should pay your respect at home, or even go to church to do that. lets keep minutes silence at football matches for things that a-happen in england and b-are associated with football.

wattsup where do I start; Why is it when anyone wants to have a go at what is happening in Afghanistan they confuse things by lumping it with Iraq?

People seem to forget that the Afghanistan conflict was approved by the UN and although the perpetrators came from Saudi their training camps were in Afghanistan. Prehaps you would like to tell me where the oil is in Afghanistan?

If you were to treat Afghanistan and Iraq as different conflicts I would have some measure of agreement with you, but treating them as the same just weakens your argument.

I think we should have a minutes silence on Sunday, but everyone needs to be in their seats in time. Quite often people come up from the bars/concourses unaware of whats happening. Food & drink (non alcoholic) is allowed in the seating area remember.

PKC, if you do your research, a US oil company wanted to build an oil pipeline through afganistan. 1 year before 9/11 representatives of the taliban were in texas to talk about the pipeline. the taliban subsequently refused the pipeline which was in the interest of US and Bush (as he was governor of texas when they visited) and after 9/11 afghanistan was deemed to be a bad country and we must bomb them. talking of my argument being weakened, please tell me why sadam was so bad and mugabe, and now syria''s leader is not deemed to be bad and worthy of an invasion.

i await your reply, and maybe in the meantime do some research on this subject before you pipe up with information that is not true.....

I think we leave it to the us to commemorate on a large scale, those that were directly affected here can of course mourn in their own particular way. I will be watching the american football that weekend and can''t wait for the start of the season. I certainly am aware there will be more noise regarding 9/11 there. Fine that is what I would expect.

Sport should honour sporting tragedies in this way. Unless there is soildarity with an issue that effects those individuals, gunn''s daughter etc or a real immediate reaction to an event nationally or internationally.

We have had mass killings across the world that the ''unworthy victims'' will never be commemorated, borneo, cambodia the list goes on and on. For heaven sake the poor people of Haiti being neglected following a national disaster now having cameron''s prove our aid works campaign. When they still live under tents, as they do following the pakistani flood last year.

Did they get their minutes silence?. There are so many ''worthy victims'' that are truely forgotten and what a disgusting world we live in to forget them.

I agree their is a time and a place, but to regularly commemorate this act on a sporting stage I think is not needed. Hillsborough is a poignant commemoration, but we do not need to commemorate every tragedies anniversary.

Don''t feel we have to do anything particular as a club do we ?If there is a national silence ( one would expect if this happens it will be at the time of plane #1 or the falling of tower #2 ) then surething. As a football club ? nahRemember the people etc as its not something to be sneered at or forgotten.But remember the fact that it has nothing to do with football.

[quote user="canarycrosby"]we will I assume, but if it was the other way i would put money on there being fuck all going on in america to mark the occasion[/quote]Unfortunatly I have to agree with that ! :-/

neus it was the original post that signalled that ''we'' woudl commemorate the date at wba, well unless the premier league has said it I do not expect it.

And I do not expect it, I would find it rather wrong with other events worthy of such commemoration.

As said leave it to the us, and I will fast forward to the start of the NFL games.