Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Get along to Non-League Day

Today there will be more than half-a-million fans without a game to watch because of internationals. “Non-League Day” urges fans to explore their local clubs, providing a much needed financial boost to grassroots football. The idea of Non-League Day  is for supporters without a game, to attend a Non-League match. If you miss your footy fix, go to a Non-League game today, it''s free to season ticket holder of league clubs.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]

Today there will be more than half-a-million fans without a game to watch because of internationals. “Non-League Day” urges fans to explore their local clubs, providing a much needed financial boost to grassroots football. The idea of Non-League Day  is for supporters without a game, to attend a Non-League match. If you miss your footy fix, go to a Non-League game today, it''s free to season ticket holder of league clubs.

[/quote]Doesn''t letting season ticket holders of other clubs in for free kinda defeat the object? I know that it is intended to try and win these clubs a few new fans who might come back and pay a few quid to see another game or two, but if I turn up to Kings Lynn for the first time ever with my Norwich season ticket, then how are regular Kings Lynn casuals or indeed Kings Lynn season ticket holders supposed to react to that? If I lived in Kings Lynn, for example, and turned up with my usual £10 ticket..... and then found out that everybody around me was on a freebie.... I''d be wanting my tenner back. Surely a stronger message would be sent by encouraging people to turn up at the door and pay a tenner to watch a game of football, thus supporting these clubs financially? 

Maybe they''re hoping that they''ll buy a hundred-weight of pies/tea/chocolate etc. at half time!!

It was £5 to get in with a Football League season ticket today at my local non-league club Wealdstone, and they had a crowd of 501 which was the best of the season.

Went to Histon, my local team, versus Stalybridge Celtic.

Histon goalie sent off for a professional foul, with Histon fans saying it was a dive and that the opposition player was going away from goal.

Deja vu or what?

"If only they''d signed Fraser Forster", I muttered inwardly to myself.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Went to Histon, my local team, versus Stalybridge Celtic.

Histon goalie sent off for a professional foul, with Histon fans saying it was a dive and that the opposition player was going away from goal.

Deja vu or what?

"If only they''d signed Fraser Forster", I muttered inwardly to myself.

[/quote]

I went to Histon too, they play a lot better football than they did a few years ago in the BSP, if the keeper wasn''t sent off I think they would have gone on to win it, two really good chances in the first half could have put daylight between them and Stalybridge.

Anyway I think it was a good idea, but Histon''s gate was still only in the 300s as it has been all season.

Don''t think many of you in Norfolk will be too interested but just for the record -- Final score Swindon Supermarine 2 St. Albans 1Supermarine came back from being one down. I enjoyed the day and the attendance was 149

I watched part of a local league match whilst walking the dog. Wilmslow was one of the sides, don''t know the other. Even my dog was a critic as he thought the game was cr*p or at least that''s what I imagined he meant when he took a dump by the touchline.