Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Pubs showich NCFC games on a Saturday afternoon face prosecution

According to [url=http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/pubs_showing_norwich_city_games_risk_prosecution_warns_premier_league_1_1009465]this article[/url].

My favourite part is this -

“It is also worth noting that there is a 3pm closed window in the UK whereby no broadcaster is legitimately allowed to broadcast any football that kicks off at 3pm on a Saturday.This is supported by the Premier League, FA and Football League, the Government and the European Union as it helps encourage attendance and participation throughout the football pyramid.Any publican who uses foreign satellite equipment to broadcast Premier League Football on a Saturday at 3pm is therefore not only breaching our copyright but also eroding this English football tradition."

That''s the Premier League there worrying about ''English football tradition''. Cheeky f*ckers.

Isn''t the main reason lots of pubs are now doing this, the fact Sky Sports lost a case against a pub in Pompey doing it?

And that paragraph is laughable. When the Premier League have 8/9 of the 10 games at 3PM on a Saturday, then they can talk about tradition. I think there was only 3 games at 3:00 last Saturday, maybe 4. And apart from maybe opening day there is probably never more than 5 of the 10 being played at 3PM...

Maybe Shack.

But it is the smaller football league clubs and non-league clubs that this "rule" is designed to protect. Not to mention the clubs in senior and junior football up and down the country. I wonder if one of the topics of conversation at Sloughbottom on a saturday afternoon goes along the lines of "We can only field 9 ref because City are on the box in the local boozer".

Or maybe the ref is in the boozer too[~][co][:O]

Encourage attendance? Is that why some games are on a Monday night, and sometimes the likes of Newcastle are away to a London team at 4 o clock on a Sunday?:{

Pubs aren''t technically allowed to show 3 o clock kick-offs, so if the show the game from 3:02 onwards, they are not technically breaking the rule..

You a lawyer, AJ? I think people realise that when we say a 3pm kick-off, we mean the whole game. It''s a synecdoche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche). Any pub that said ''Well, we didn''t show the kick-off'' would be on pretty thin ice, I reckon.

Take the point, Nutty, but you know that the clubs are desperate for that rule to end, so that Man U, Chelsea etc can break away from Sky and launch their own TV channel that shows all their games. It''ll make the current tv deal look like the communist manifesto.

It''s the future, and it sucks even more than the present.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Take the point, Nutty, but you know that the clubs are desperate for that rule to end, so that Man U, Chelsea etc can break away from Sky and launch their own TV channel that shows all their games. It''ll make the current tv deal look like the communist manifesto. It''s the future, and it sucks even more than the present.[/quote]

Although when there was a vote on whether the Premier League teams should be able to negotiate rights individually every club voted to continue the collective bargaining argeement.

It''s only arisen around here recently, but my step-dad who''s from Manchester says that every pub in Manchester either has the City or United game''s on, so it''s got to be enforced eveywhere rather than just Norfolk first. He said it''s been happening there for a good 3-5 years at most.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Good, might encourage more people to go to games, instead of the boozer![/quote]Yeah, I''m sure the massive falls in attendances over the last few seasons are all to do with the matches being shown in the pubs for the last couple of months, and not the ridiculous prices and stupid times of a lot of matches since the advent of the Premier League.Say, you don''t work for Sky do you?

The pubs I''ve been in so far have been showing (what appears to be!) a legitimate English channel hosted by English pundits with English commentators which the pub pays about a grand for the year.

The pubs aren''t showing foreign channels or dodgy internet connections. Although I thought a pub in Portsmouth challenged this anyway, and won

Is it good to tell people what they can do and where they can do it? This is no more legitimate than saying people cannot watch movies during sunday church times etc etc.

People want to watch football matches I want to watch Norwich games, I dont like Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal and dont want to pay to wait for the odd city game. If Sky HD showed all City games officially I would sign up tomorrow, its the same as Itunes why buy an album of filler for one track?

I see no reason for the police to waste their time nor trading standards unless the places are not paying for the football (via the other broadcaster) until the ruling has come through from the EU.

City have a full stadium each week people cannot get in and pubs are having a hard time, I would concentrate on real criminals(until the definitive ruling) rather than stopping people having a better quality of life during a recession.

Given that the F.A and premier league want to encourage attendances does that mean that if i can prove that the game was sold out i can still watch it !!!!

[quote user="CDMullins"]Good, might encourage more people to go to games, instead of the boozer![/quote]

To get a ticket, transport, food and drink for the Chelsea game would have set me back around £100. I can''t justify or afford that. So instead I watched in a pub down the road from me and spent about £15 on beer. If the game had not been on there I would have stayed at home a found an internet stream. So I would not have spent £100 going to Chelsea or £15 in a local pub.

The pub was packed with NCFC season ticket holders, fans wearing replica shirts and Sky subscribers. They have all paid into football in some way and were merely taking advantage of a legal loophole (which now it appears does not exist) to watch a game that otherwise they would have missed. I''ve no doubt that the vast majority would have done the same as me if the game had not been on and watched it on the internet. Maybe a few might have gone and watched Dereham Town instead but I have my doubts. I didn''t see too many lads who looked like they might have let down their Saturday sides in favour of an afternoon in the pub either as most looked like their playing days were behind them (myself included [:D]).

If the FA Premier League want to protect their brand and force pubs to stop showing these games then that is entirely their right. But when they send some faceless suit out to wibble about ''English football tradition'' and lay a guilt trip at the door of publicans who, quite frankly, could do with all the help they can get then they can bugger off.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]Good, might encourage more people to go to games, instead of the boozer![/quote]

To get a ticket, transport, food and drink for the Chelsea game would have set me back around £100. I can''t justify or afford that. So instead I watched in a pub down the road from me and spent about £15 on beer. If the game had not been on there I would have stayed at home a found an internet stream. So I would not have spent £100 going to Chelsea or £15 in a local pub.

The pub was packed with NCFC season ticket holders, fans wearing replica shirts and Sky subscribers. They have all paid into football in some way and were merely taking advantage of a legal loophole (which now it appears does not exist) to watch a game that otherwise they would have missed. I''ve no doubt that the vast majority would have done the same as me if the game had not been on and watched it on the internet. Maybe a few might have gone and watched Dereham Town instead but I have my doubts. I didn''t see too many lads who looked like they might have let down their Saturday sides in favour of an afternoon in the pub either as most looked like their playing days were behind them (myself included [:D]).

If the FA Premier League want to protect their brand and force pubs to stop showing these games then that is entirely their right. But when they send some faceless suit out to wibble about ''English football tradition'' and lay a guilt trip at the door of publicans who, quite frankly, could do with all the help they can get then they can bugger off.

[/quote]

I completly understand, but it could really kill football. If this does eventually become semi-legal and this louphole is always there, then every City in the country will be full of people in pubs watching 3pm KO''s.

This was discussed a while back and I think someone posted to over in America, if a Amercian Football game is a sell-out, it can then be played on TV. Sound slike a good idea to me.

Very easy loophole for all landlords = If Kick off is 3pm at 2:50 lock the pub doors citing a "Lock in Private Party" football ends, "Lock in Private Party" ends.Simple.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very easy loophole for all landlords = If Kick off is 3pm at 2:50 lock the pub doors citing a "Lock in Private Party" football ends, "Lock in Private Party" ends.

Simple.
[/quote]

Really?

And even if this is so what about all the other customers in the pub. Are they locked in too? And those who go for a drink every saturday afternoon at 4pm? Do they have to find another pub?

Nothing is as simple as it can be made to appear on these forums.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very easy loophole for all landlords = If Kick off is 3pm at 2:50 lock the pub doors citing a "Lock in Private Party" football ends, "Lock in Private Party" ends.

Simple.
[/quote]

Really?

And even if this is so what about all the other customers in the pub. Are they locked in too? And those who go for a drink every saturday afternoon at 4pm? Do they have to find another pub?

[/quote]

Nexus = Simple

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very easy loophole for all landlords = If Kick off is 3pm at 2:50 lock the pub doors citing a "Lock in Private Party" football ends, "Lock in Private Party" ends.Simple.[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]

.......................you can simply tell the landlord you wish to leave and they will... um... err ... unlock the door 

never been to a pub or a lock in Nutty ?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Simple.
[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]

.......................you can simply tell the landlord you wish to leave and they will... um... err ... unlock the door 

[/quote]

Nah.. never mate. Can''t abide the places.

I will bow to your superior knowledge[Y]

Large round one''s to the goverment,perhaps they aught to concentrate on on slightly more important issues...i.e national debt ,riots,poverty,diminishing pensions(people working to 100 to actually get one), youth unemployment,rising crime,N.H.S in crisis,demorolised armed forces...........oh and upsetting an Australian multi-millioneer !

"Good, might encourage more people to go to games, instead of the boozer!"

Ah yes, because the FA Premier League brand is in serious trouble, unlike your local pub, which is positively prospering at present.

This legal loophole, which I still dearly hope is ratified by the European Court of Justice, could prove to be exactly what football needs.

As well as helping prop up the pub culture that has been a mainstay of our society long before people could earn a living out of kicking a football, it may weaken the power and financial strength of the Premier League, an organisation that has done considerably more damage to football and football culture than pubs showing 3pm kickoffs could ever do.

Despite Nutty apparently backing down, he was of course right in that no pub would lock their doors in such circumstances.

I was in The Rose last Saturday and the number of changes in clientele over the 90 minutes was huge. Now this is a City centre pub where men dragged out shopping missed the start, and some probably went elsewhere at half time for a pint at the Kings or whatever. However the fact is that if I was faced with a locked door I would go elsewhere and never return.

The situation is simple - yes it is still illegal but no one will be prosecuted until the European judgement is resolved.

I know of landlords who reported competitors last year to Sky to get back to a level playing field and nothing happened so it will not now with even more flounting the regulations.

It was a typical local newspaper story that really didn''t hold water to suggest that Sky would come calling on all these pubs and I think we can be content that we will be able to carry on watching 3pm kickoffs on Sky supplied streams in our pubs until (and probably beyond) the final judgement.

[quote user="ToolSharpestTheNot"]Despite Nutty apparently backing down, he was of course right in that no pub would lock their doors in such circumstances.

I was in The Rose last Saturday and the number of changes in clientele over the 90 minutes was huge. Now this is a City centre pub where men dragged out shopping missed the start, and some probably went elsewhere at half time for a pint at the Kings or whatever. However the fact is that if I was faced with a locked door I would go elsewhere and never return.

The situation is simple - yes it is still illegal but no one will be prosecuted until the European judgement is resolved.

I know of landlords who reported competitors last year to Sky to get back to a level playing field and nothing happened so it will not now with even more flounting the regulations.

It was a typical local newspaper story that really didn''t hold water to suggest that Sky would come calling on all these pubs and I think we can be content that we will be able to carry on watching 3pm kickoffs on Sky supplied streams in our pubs until (and probably beyond) the final judgement.[/quote]Ok, Dudley Dooright.You (like NN) missed the point entirely."Lock in" "Locking doors" "Private Party" is a term. You don''t actually lock the bleeding door, and the plod will not come in and shut the place for you because your showing an "illegal football match"When Sky or whomever send you the writ explaining you are going to be had for showing a football match you cite that it was a" lock in private party". It would be too much trouble to actually persue / prosecute so it is a very easily exploited loop hole in the law.

I actually find this quite interesting as I had this discussion the other night. On Saturday I went with others to watch the Chelsea game. Now I must say that we do go to local football usually when Norwich are away so although I did it myself I do have to agree that some local clubs must be suffering ie Wroxham / Dereham / Kings Lyn. Now I also thought about our own gates. On the face of it our numbers sort of show we get full houses, however do away supporters not travel because of the streaming ?. It also seems for our first 2 games despite a couple of comments on here we have really struggled to sell the home allocation. Cant say I remember any game like that when we were in the premiership last time and I dont know if these streams are the reason. We have sold the tickets eventually but a long time after going on general sale so those saying it is impossible to get a ticket are not really presenting the facts. I have mixed feelings therefore as this may effect us far more after our novelty first season has gone and season tiket prices increase.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

[/quote]

Looks like Nexus has yet to be enlightened as to conspiracy theory surrounding the Bayer crew.[:D]