Sign in to follow this  

[quote user="Mellowhoop.on.tour"]Man sent off an what did you do?[/quote]We took a midfielder off for a centre back and played 4-3-2 to try and chase a second goal to win the game, and then we took a forward off for a midfielder and went to 4-4-1 when Stoke started getting on top. It almost worked too, Stoke scored in extra-time. We would have won that game if we didn''t have the man sent off. Does that not meet with your approval? What would any other team have done?

That''s just it LeJuge, I wouldn''t even want DJ for one of the other three you mention, he''s no better than Martin, Jackson or Vaughan but our three are all 23 or younger DJ is 30 this year.

Their back line is their weekness, we need ours to stay fit and stop getting sent off.

[quote user="SWP Poor Mans Ruel Fox"]

Quote user: LeJugeI honestly believe that Anton Ferdinand is a distinctly average defender who is prone to frequent lapses in concentration.

Well said that man, I cannot understand the amount of people saying he is a good signing.  Couldn''t get into an average Sunderland defence last season and surplus to requirements this.  Just cos he has the same surname he is not as good as Rio.  Prefer to have De Laet.

[/quote]Indeed, he has made a living off of his brothers name, clubs going in a frenzy when he was a kid because some random youth coach at West Ham said that he was going to be better than his brother. He really is no better than Barnett and Ward, and certainly not as good as De Laet (who I hope we will try and sign on a permanent).

I couldn''t agree more with you Le Luge regarding Richie De Laet. I think he is head and shoulders above any Norwich/QPR contracted defender, and his Manchester United pedigree is already starting to show.

[quote user="Indy"]That''s just it LeJuge, I wouldn''t even want DJ for one of the other three you mention, he''s no better than Martin, Jackson or Vaughan but our three are all 23 or younger DJ is 30 this year.

Their back line is their weekness, we need ours to stay fit and stop getting sent off.[/quote]Yep, no better than those three. Probably can''t compare with Martin, different type of player. I would be happy enough for Lambert to have signed him, he is decent, seems to be down to earth, and would probably fit in, but he isn''t a top class striker. His goalscoring record was flattered by the number of chances he got to stick the ball in the net. Other players who scored 12 or 13 goals last season needed 4 shots per 1 goal, he needed 5.5 per 1 goal. Still not bad, but nothing special.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I couldn''t agree more with you Le Luge regarding Richie De Laet. I think he is head and shoulders above any Norwich/QPR contracted defender, and his Manchester United pedigree is already starting to show.[/quote]He is the best centre back that I have seen at the club for years, love to see him on a permanent deal.

There is an Andy Lininghan look about him, he reminds me alot of Andy. Barnett is almost a Bruice type and when both fit and on the pitch together would be a good partnership this season.

Ward & Whitbread are also class defenders and will want to prove something this year.

[quote user="Mellowhoop.on.tour"]Thanks for the warm welcome.. I think deep down you would of been happier with our signings then your own...I know that''s tough to admit but come on... We will have to wait and see come the end of season.. I naturally will back us..[/quote]

I for one would be happy with your signings BUT, none would fit into our set up, all on big money, alot are complete arseholes and whereas we might not have the best players we have tremendous spirit and thats what we''re relying on to keep us up so big wage signings and a few tossers could ruin that for us.

They are on high wages which unfortunately the way it goes. They have us by the balls tho as they are free agents. The figures in the papers arnt what''s been paid. Not far off but still not what''s being quoted. Team spirit it''s very important but to say we don''t have that is a bit premature. Last year we were top the whole season, scored late goals.. As you did every bloody week. So the spirit is there.

Mellow, are you not affriad that the likes of Barton will upset the locker room a bit ?You have a lot of pre-madonnas arriving, the likes of Tarabat also are known to put on thier parts and as noted, Colin is hardly going to get sports personality of the year.Your not in the least bit worried ??For all our lack of spending ( Personally I think most of us NCFC fans are proud of this? ) , I feel we have a much better locker room and more momentum to stay up.You talk about team spirit, our strike partnership, Martin and Holt have played together at 3 different levels for the same club !! How many teams and players for that matter can say that ?

On paper QPR''s team is probably alot better. But therein lies the crucial factor - Have QPR got 1 team or 11 individuals? Personally I feel its the latter......

We may not have a big-name marquee signing, but we do have a very sustainable and competative squad should we go down again. Add to that we''re not cash rich enough to pay stupidly inflated wages.

Be honest I''m glad that since the Fernandes takeover, QPR have now got some decency back and it looks like the club will be run as it should be with the fans a priority unlike the previous regime who saw it as their toy!

[quote user="Mellowhoop.on.tour"]They are on high wages which unfortunately the way it goes. They have us by the balls tho as they are free agents. The figures in the papers arnt what''s been paid. Not far off but still not what''s being quoted. [/quote]They had you by the balls because you made it blatantly obvious you suddenly wanted to spend large amounts of cash and you only had a few days in which to do so. I''m pretty sure that if Tango and Cash had put up or pushed off three months earlier that not one of the players you''ve just bought would have been on Colins "A" list in June had the money been available then and you would have put together a far better squad (if you really can stretch to paying £60 per week type wages) than you got for the money on deadline day. 

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Mellowhoop.on.tour"]They are on high wages which unfortunately the way it goes. They have us by the balls tho as they are free agents. The figures in the papers arnt what''s been paid. Not far off but still not what''s being quoted. [/quote]

They had you by the balls because you made it blatantly obvious you suddenly wanted to spend large amounts of cash and you only had a few days in which to do so. I''m pretty sure that if Tango and Cash had put up or pushed off three months earlier that not one of the players you''ve just bought would have been on Colins "A" list in June had the money been available then and you would have put together a far better squad (if you really can stretch to paying £60 per week type wages) than you got for the money on deadline day.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on, panic buying from the Hoops, they might be signings that sound good to the ''masses'' but not what the manager would want if he was given the entire transfer window with that kind of budget.

Well this ''Fool a Hoop'' lost my willingness to engage with him from the first post. Stating he was purely here for a discussion and then going on to insult our squad rather than create constructive argument pretty much did it and then going on to claim his side played the same way as we did last season just assured me I was dealing with a moron. I do like to start with the upmost respect for any foreign poster but this guy went from hero to zero quicker than I''ve seen for a long time.  Oh yeh and the ''I''m a cockney'' thing as well.

Oh OK I''ll engage:

1) Why would you want to be a cockney?

2) Why would you pretend to be a cockney?

3) Aren''t you ashamed to be a Mockney?

4) Are you embarressed that you made a grand statement about our tactics and were completely wrong?

5) How normal are things in your world when 4-4-2 is seen as odd?

6) Be honest, how nervous are you about ''flash in the pan'' investment?

7) What are your boards long term plans to generate revenue?

1. I''m not cockney. Another poster got called cockney for being an r.

2 Im not a cockney, so therefore not pretending.

3 see above

4 I was wrong. I thought he left it after the man got sent off.

5 never said 442 was odd

6. I''m not nervous. Excited and proud. Very easy to just say they will get bored. Future is not just to stay up, but to build better training ground, new ground a better club.

7. The board are building a better club.

Didn''t slag off your squad, compared them to our signings.

[quote user="Mellowhoop.on.tour"] Future is not just to stay up, but to build better training ground, new ground a better club. [/quote]Where the dickens will you build this new ground, realistically you are one of the worst situated clubs in the country for redeveloping as there''s nowhere for miles you could purchase the neccesary land whatever price you sell the old ground for. Maybe you could do a Wimbledon and become the Hemel Hemstead Rangers?[:D]

We are unfortunately in a bad position yes for redeveloping. There are more areas around the ground then you think to build on. Westfield is 1 of the biggest shopping centres in the world.. Found space for that.

You''d be surprised how well I know that area, the pub that stood where the bus entrance/ main entrance to Westfield is now was my "local" for a number of years, I remember Westfield going up and can also remember the wasteland industrial estates that were demolished to make way for it but there are no more of those to bulldoze so imo you''re looking at getting hold of the western corner of Scrubs park (close to N and E Acton tubes) or moving out the area.

What''s going on with the ticket prices at Loftus Road, Mellow? Has Fernandes lowered them yet?

Warnock has definitely bought in some quality. SWP and Barton are potentially excellent signings, if they keep their heads down and work hard.

I had you lot as definites to get relegated this season, even up to a week ago, but the money you''ve spent could make all the difference.

Incidentally, is Mackie back playing yet? What sort of chance is he going to get this season?

Think the scrubs area would be favoured imh due to not being far away. Ticket prices are down and ST holders being refunded... Not sure how yet, sure it will be money off next year. Mackie not back yet, be few months I''d imagine. Be untreated to see if he makes the squad.. Not the biggest fan but works his nuts off and handy player.

Right. As much as it pains me to respond constructively given our Hoops friend''s blatant attempts to start a row lets not show ourselves to be of the same blinkered and ill-informed ilk as him.

Lets be honest had we made several of the signings QPR have made then many of our fans would have been delighted and certainly would have been excited about seeing them join our club. I don''t really rate Ferdinand or DJ Campbell but Luke Young is a solid prem full back, Bothroyd is decent enough and in footballing terms at least SWP and Barton are definitely exciting signings for a newly promoted club. On balance, i think QPR''s signings have made our task harder this season as they give them a better chance of staying up. Having said that they are also riskier signings and essentially the difference between the signings we have made and QPR have made illustrate the difference in approach between the two clubs. QPR are speculating big time to accumulate, we are taking a more sustainable and measured approach and we are doing that because we have to.

As it happens, having seen my club dragged through the sh*t for 10 years only to be reborn in recent years I am not unhappy with that and in many ways prefer it. I also genuinely believe we have (for now) the better manager and I also think that several of our signings will turn out to be as good, if not better than the likes of SWP. If our QPR friend, for example, bothered to take in the views of Brighton or Hudds fans on Bennett and Pilkington he would find out that we have picked ourselves up a couple of gems and I would bet good money that one or both of them will outperform Wright Philips this season.

So there you have it, different approaches and it remains to be seen which will succeed (indeed it is possible they both will). I do not, however, blame QPR fans for being excited at what is going on and what might happen in their future. They would do well, however, to remember that this is QPR they are talking about here so there are bound to be many twists and turns to come. I don''t really know what to make of Tony Fernandes other than he likes a good sound bite. My instinct is that he has some money but is probably a bit of a fast talker,. I don''t see him pumping money in year after year so he is obviously making a big push now to stay up in the hope he can recoup some money in the future. nothing wrong with thyat at all but if QPR go down then it will be very interesting to see what happens.

As to the ground Buckethead I hate to break it to you but as well as you might know the area from living there, in planning terms there is every possibility a new ground could be accomodated (either on the site of Loftus Road or very nearby) as the Wood lane/White City area is earmarked for major regeneration and redevelopment over the next decade which could easily include a new football ground. IMHO its the main reason the BBC have suddenly decided they need to be less London centred and move many operations to Manchester thus presumably freeing up lots of land for sale!

Mellow, it seems to have caused a lot of confusion on here and is resulting in some hostility, so could you clarify what you meant about our tactics against Stoke were odd? Also what are your thought on Luke Young and Kieron Dyer, surely both of them are long past their best and there are better out there who would take less wages?

I saw the City v WBA game on Sky last night from our last little trip to the Premier League and I was left wondering how we managed to get as many points as we did (on that showing) and it was clear that the team this time around is much better equipped and blended together.

When you consider how we brought in established professionals like Doherty, Helveg, Johnsson etc as well as potential like Ashton you ended up thinking was that a QPR type approach.

Ultimately QPR have bought available names and that does not bode well to a coordinated team.

I could go and buy quality wallpaper, a popular carpet, a sofa that used to belong to the Sultan of Brunei and a couple of ever popular bookcases but the Missus may well not be pleased with the end result.

Time as they say will tell and it will be interesting to see how these fancy signings do if they go to Man City needing a draw to be sure of staying up ....

I was wrong about the Stoke game. I thought j had read when the guy got sent off nothing changed or a striker came on. I was wrong. Don''t get me wrong, I know Anthony pilkington is a v good player, young and talented. He may well end up being a better player then swp. I think it''s a hard task for a league 1 player to jump to the prem. The rest of your team had the champ first. Luke young is a prem defender, Kieron dyer if fit is. I''m no holding my breath on him.

Actually maybe 10 years is a bit of an exageration although it feels like it! Since we last got promoted to the prem would be a better description.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Actually maybe 10 years is a bit of an exageration although it feels like it! Since we last got

promoted to the prem would be a better description.[/quote]

I think going down can actually sort a club right out. Although it''s tough at the time you wouldn''t have had a season like last year would you.

I think January will be very important for QPR. I wouldn''t be surprised to see us ahead of QPR in the league table at Christmas as Warnock has a lot of big egos to juggle and keep happy. If Taarabt stays beyond January you''ve got a chance, although in both games against us last season Hoolahan was much more effective than Taarabt, who kept running down blind alleys and playing schoolyard football. When he''s on his game, Taarabt is a Champions League-quality player, but he''s not consistent enough for a bigger club to take a gamble on him. That could work in QPR''s favour. Also, Lakshmi Mittal is one of the richest men in the world, and if he and Fernandes are committed to the club long-term then I genuinely believe they can build something sustainable and impressive (other than a new stadium!). If you are struggling around Christmas, expect some more real quality signings to strengthen the squad.SWP''s career has gone down the pan since he left Man City the first time, although ever since he''s been a fringe player - it''s cause and effect. Was he not in the team because he''d lost the plot, or did he lose the plot because he wasn''t in the team? If he''s playing week in, week out then he could rediscover his form and be a handy player this season. Barton will be the heartbeat of the team and is easily the best signing you''ve made this summer. If he can avoid disciplinary problems then he will be what Parker was for West Ham last season - head and shoulders above the rest. Ferdinand is a decent acquisition, Gabbidon and Dyer both highly questionable signings.The main problem is getting the team to gel - a good team on paper doesn''t mean squat. Just ask Newcastle from 2008/9 or West Ham from last year. If the cohesion and togetherness isn''t there, you could still be in danger no matter how much you spend. Sure, our signings haven''t made much impression on the national press or fans of other teams, but we have young, hungry players and an extremely settled dressing room, and even if we do come up a little bit short this season we won''t be full of overpaid has-beens who can''t be arsed to play Championship football. QPR have the potential to achieve a huge amount with the current owners, but I think we have cut our cloth according to our more modest means and are much more united as a team and a club. Time will tell...

A fair post. Nw has a Job on his hands gelling the squad. Disagree about adel, although he was massively important for us last year, I honestly believe he holds us back. The teams built around him and he can be inconsistent. Very frustraiting but on his day very good. I think this year will be very tight all over.