Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Good Bye Cody McDonald !

Well it will be somewhat sad not to read the daily Cody thread :(I feel ( as do others ) that he was not given a fair crack and will do well for himself at Coventry.With a heavy heart its time to retire my Cody Mac Goal Keeper avatar !!However, why the need for Cody thread # 4773629892 ???Well.... I was on my way to sign into the online footy management game "Hattrick" If you have not heard of it , hear of it !!!So I typed Hattrick into my browser, and got all the hits.... halfway down the page... the unthinkable !!!http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2011/09/02/cody-mcdonald-hat-trick-in-first-coventry-city-training-session-92746-29350187/All the best to him and hopefully he can continue this into competative games.

I think we will probably get a weekly Cody round up from Paul Moy, i imagine he''ll be down in Coventry watching his every move.

Thought he was a decent enough player, but was not needed here. Happy to see him in the Championship though, and hopefully he will prove a few of those people who thought he was utter rubbish wrong.

I''d like to wish him the best, I actually thought he was a decent player and if we had been in the Championship this season I reckon he may have been given a chance.  He scored some really important goals for us, which many forget.Shame he never really got a long run of games with us, otherwise he may still be here.

"I got told at the end of last season that it was time for me to move on and he felt it wasn’t right for me to be in and around the squad and I have got no problem with that."

So sad reading that, he was completely shut out of the squad. I appreciate that there''s no room for sentiments but it is annoying if you''re of the opinion that he''s a better goal scorer than a few that have kept their places in the squad.

Best of luck Cody!! Show em'' what you''ve got.

Never has a player left Norwich, and I''ve wanted to see him do so well. Really hoping everything goes well for Cody, all the best fella!

It''s just a pity that there wasn''t any room left in our 25 man squad for him. So with that in mind, you can understand why he had to go i guess.

How on earth is that anything like naming a football squad?

Cody MacDonald is not part of out team, Lambert is the manager and has done a very good job and does not want him to be part of our team. I like Cody, but if Lambert doesn''t want him here, then he''s not going to be here.

Also, we have more than 23 players, some youth players such as the back up goalkeeper who are ready to be in the first team set up if needed. Just because you have an option of taking 25 players over the age of 21, doesn''t mean you have to.

Is football the one where you kill people in the name of religion? I get confused.

In all seriousness, i presumed that Cody was left out in the cold at the end of last season because Lambert foresaw that we would have a full squad, made the decision and stuck with it.

If, however he knew there was now going to be 2 places available to him at the end of last season, i think he may have been a bit more cautious with Cody.

I''m sure he would agree that you can never have enough - Especially as we have a great reserves fixture list this season.

It''s a mistake and we will regret this but it''s Lambert''s decision. The 23 out of 25 bullet analogy is a great one !!!

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Is football the one where you kill people in the name of religion? I get confused. In all seriousness, i presumed that Cody was left out in the cold at the end of last season because Lambert foresaw that we would have a full squad, made the decision and stuck with it. If, however he knew there was now going to be 2 places available to him at the end of last season, i think he may have been a bit more cautious with Cody. I''m sure he would agree that you can never have enough - Especially as we have a great reserves fixture list this season.[/quote]

Cody was on loan to Gillingham at the end of last season so wasn''t left out in the cold.

Perhaps the fee and wages being eased went towards Ayala''s transfer/salary and before some clever dick says Ayala came in before Cody left, it was pretty obvious that the club was going to get some sort of fee for Cody before the close of the window. It was just how much and from whom.

[quote user="yellow blood"]

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Is football the one where you kill people in the name of religion? I get confused. In all seriousness, i presumed that Cody was left out in the cold at the end of last season because Lambert foresaw that we would have a full squad, made the decision and stuck with it. If, however he knew there was now going to be 2 places available to him at the end of last season, i think he may have been a bit more cautious with Cody. I''m sure he would agree that you can never have enough - Especially as we have a great reserves fixture list this season.[/quote]

Cody was on loan to Gillingham at the end of last season so wasn''t left out in the cold.

Perhaps the fee and wages being eased went towards Ayala''s transfer/salary and before some clever dick says Ayala came in before Cody left, it was pretty obvious that the club was going to get some sort of fee for Cody before the close of the window. It was just how much and from whom.

[/quote]

Lambert has ignored him all pre-season..... his face did not fit.... Simples!!!

[quote user="paul moy"]It''s a mistake and we will regret this but it''s Lambert''s decision. The 23 out of 25 bullet analogy is a great one !!![/quote]

I''d rather have 23 out of 25 bullets than fill the empty spaces with a couple of non-firing blanks just to make up numbers.

Totally agree with you there Yellow, however, Cody isn''t the blank.

You will understand when he''s scored as many champs goals by christmas than most of our forwards last season.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Totally agree with you there Yellow, however, Cody isn''t the blank.

You will understand when he''s scored as many champs goals by christmas than most of our forwards last season.[/quote]Yes, and if he''s only scored 2 or 3, I imagine it will be the fault of the midfield for not providing him with the right service (or because he''s playing alongside Clive Platt who nobody in their right mind would ever want to sign).  It''s a no-lose argument for Cody fans.  I say good luck to him, it beats putting up scaffolding for a living, but Lambert & team work with these guys day in day out and if they don''t think he''s an asset then let''s get him off the wage bill.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Skijumptoes"]Totally agree with you there Yellow, however, Cody isn''t the blank.

You will understand when he''s scored as many champs goals by christmas than most of our forwards last season.[/quote]Yes, and if he''s only scored 2 or 3, I imagine it will be the fault of the midfield for not providing him with the right service (or because he''s playing alongside Clive Platt who nobody in their right mind would ever want to sign).  It''s a no-lose argument for Cody fans.  I say good luck to him, it beats putting up scaffolding for a living, but Lambert & team work with these guys day in day out and if they don''t think he''s an asset then let''s get him off the wage bill.[/quote]Agree with this, but you can''t help but have an opinion, & mine is that Cody would have provided a useful option on occasion. I suspect there was a bit of a personality clash. Perhaps Cody just wanted to play football somewhere rather than be on the periphery of a Prem. club.Also, however, I do realise that my opinion is of no consequence. Lambert''s is the only one that matters.

thank you for not being good enough and scoring once in the championship.... thank you for barely playing for us in the last season and a bit since Lambert came in...thank you for freeing up the wage bill a bit.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Totally agree with you there Yellow, however, Cody isn''t the blank. You will understand when he''s scored as many champs goals by christmas than most of our forwards last season.[/quote]

Indeed, the blanks will be Martin, Jackson and Vaughan.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Totally agree with you there Yellow, however, Cody isn''t the blank. You will understand when he''s scored as many champs goals by christmas than most of our forwards last season.[/quote]

Indeed, the blanks will be Martin, Jackson and Vaughan.  

[/quote]

No they won''t.

Paul, i tried to stick up for your opinions on Cody at times, but this is ridiculous. How on earth can you think Cody is a better player than those three, for a start Martin has played two good games already. Jackson scored however many goals in two months last season, and Vaughan will be a great player and i would imagine will be on the bench either for WBA or Bolton. Cody MacDonald hasn''t left because Lambert has some personal vendetta against him, he''s left because he''s not good enough and/or doesn''t fit into the team. MArtin, Jackson and Vaughan are good enough and/or do fit into the team.

Even of Cody goes and scores 30 this season, doesn''t mean he would have scored any if he played every minute for us. I think he''s a good player, but if you Cody fans maybe stop and think for a moment. Paul Lambert, the man who has won us two promotions does not want him in the team, has let him go THAT should be enough for every NCFC fan, by all means wish him well, follow his progress and rate him as a player, but unless we lose the next 35 goals and our strikers score 5 between them, please just trust Lambert has done the right thing for the team.

I think he can get goals at championship level. Whether he will get enough service at Coventry who are likely to struggle this season remains to be seen. Hopefully he can go on to carve out a good career. He deserves to.

But I think you have to be realistic. Norwich have 5 frontline strikers already at the club in Holt, Morison, Vaughan, Jackson and Martin. That gives us plenty of options and cover to get through the season. Even when you factor in Vaughan being slightly injury prone.

I dont agree with loaded gun analogy. I think this represents a better use of resources. I would rather get a transfer fee for him which can contribute towards strengthening if needed in January. Rather than freezing out a player who will just leave on a free at the end of the season.

LOL.... if Cody scores 30 in the Champs he''ll be snapped up by a newly promoted Prem team just as Morison and Graham were.

Morison only scored 20 and 15 in 43 and 40 games respectively in the championship in the last two seasons. It doesn''t come down purely to goals, which is why Cody has left. Obviously he can score, but he doesn''t fit in the team. So even if he did score 30, doesn''t mean a prem team will want him, and he won''t score 30 anyway, Coventry are rubbish.

Paul, this is a genuine question, not an attempt to have a go at you.

Do you think you''ve seen enough of Cody to be so sure that PL is making a mistake? Did you watch him when he was with the Gills?

Because he made so few City appearances that I think it''s difficult for fans to say with any certainty that he''d be good enough or not.

Personally I think I would have sent him on loan to the Champs to see how he got on, and whether he would be an asset to us if we got relegated. But that''s based on very little evidence.

The only conclusion that I can draw is that PL, having seen him daily in training, doesn''t think he''s got what it takes. And PL seems a decent judge so far...

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Paul, this is a genuine question, not an attempt to have a go at you. Do you think you''ve seen enough of Cody to be so sure that PL is making a mistake? Did you watch him when he was with the Gills? Because he made so few City appearances that I think it''s difficult for fans to say with any certainty that he''d be good enough or not. Personally I think I would have sent him on loan to the Champs to see how he got on, and whether he would be an asset to us if we got relegated. But that''s based on very little evidence. The only conclusion that I can draw is that PL, having seen him daily in training, doesn''t think he''s got what it takes. And PL seems a decent judge so far...[/quote]

I saw enough of him to make my own opinion after having watched football for decades. That opinion was reinforced by his goalscoring efforts last season. Lambert''s opinion is obviously different and I respect that but only time will prove who is right.