Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Paul McVeigh

Apro po of nothing, just thought I''d mention that I saw him on the 23.30 "vomit comet" from Liverpool Street after the Ing-ger-land game last night with some other bloke who looked like a tall Culverhouse (but wasn''t). Out of interest, Steve Morison''s game must have looked very different on the telly - from the stands, it looked like he gave a rather half-*rsed peformance, not exactly sweating blood for the sheep worriers, and offered zero threat on goal. My mate even commented "I hope we haven''t bought a pup!".

Mungo

would have to agree on that thought it was all a token gesture! and the jewel in the crown was getting the ball of Terry and booting it as hard as he could in no particular direction!

Maybe he has the same attitude as others on this site club over country any day!

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Out of interest, Steve Morison''s game must have looked very different on the telly - from the stands, it looked like he gave a rather half-*rsed peformance, not exactly sweating blood for the sheep worriers, and offered zero threat on goal.

[/quote]

I can only assume that that you had enjoyed a few beers before the game or had a restricted view. I can sort of understand the ''zero threat on goal'' comment as that wasn''t really his job last night but to describe his performance as half-arsed is pretty unfair. He worked the English defence all game and always showed for the ball. He looks a bit raw but he has obvious potential.

Long term he will be Holty''s successor rather than his partner.

Had a couple of tinnies on the train down and a couple more sharpeners in the Hamilton Hall but from the fine view I had, I still maintain that his contribution seemed half-hearted and with no cutting edge. He was never going to score. Didn''t even threaten. At Earnie got in dangerous positions (even though his finishing would have made Leon mackenzie blush). I hope he was saving himself for Sunday is all I can say.

Perhaps he looked better on the telly, in the flesh he looked completely ineffectual. Crofty made far more of an impact.

Mungo

Not sure.....it seemed the English backline could pass the ball around at will! it was further up the pitch where England failed to get as much space!

Not sure I like Crofts being so deep, I think he is much better as a box to box man. What he did last night suited Wales but he is better than a holding midfielder.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Out of interest, Steve Morison''s game must have looked very different on the telly - from the stands, it looked like he gave a rather half-*rsed peformance, not exactly sweating blood for the sheep worriers, and offered zero threat on goal.

[/quote]

I can only assume that that you had enjoyed a few beers before the game or had a restricted view. I can sort of understand the ''zero threat on goal'' comment as that wasn''t really his job last night but to describe his performance as half-arsed is pretty unfair. He worked the English defence all game and always showed for the ball. He looks a bit raw but he has obvious potential.

Long term he will be Holty''s successor rather than his partner.

[/quote]Morison is 28, two years younger than Holt - he isn''t some early 20s player who has time to develop. I thought Morison was good against Wigan, but looked a little out of depth against Chelsea and looked the same last night.

[quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]

I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?

Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service.
[/quote]

Not sure how you can say far superior?[:^)] Take Wales'' strongest 11, including the likes of Bellamy, Bale etc. On paper we are no stronger.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Shack Attack"] He looks a bit raw but he has obvious potential. Long term he will be Holty''s successor rather than his partner.[/quote]

Morison is 28, two years younger than Holt - he isn''t some early 20s player who has time to develop. I thought Morison was good against Wigan, but looked a little out of depth against Chelsea and looked the same last night.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought he was a good four or five years younger than that [:$]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service. [/quote]

Thought when i got to the computer this morning some sad act would respond that way!

Ok no problem maybe Grant Holt can do his running for him! Should be easier for him now! Bless.

[quote user="Heeley5"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]

I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?

Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service.
[/quote] Thought when i got to the computer this morning some sad act would respond that way! Ok no problem maybe Grant Holt can do his running for him! Should be easier for him now! Bless.[/quote]

His running, or lack thereof, wasn''t the problem though was it. Morison worked his arse off on Tuesday night on his own against quality Premier League defenders. He didn''t provide much of a goal threat but to question his workrate is pathetic.

Serious question for a moment as you have mentioned him in your post . Do you think Grant Holt would have done any better? I very much doubt it.

To say that my comments are pathetic is a little strange its just the way I viewed it!

His version of closing down never seemed to put pressure on the defenders! It looked like he was marking space and not hustling the defenders!

I think Holt always looks like he is in the faces of defenders, busy. eg always winning + giving away freekicks, he made a good account of himself V Chelsea, who knows if he would have done better but good question.

Interetsing though that most journalists and the match commenators were positive about Morison and the pressure he put on the England defence. The general opinion was that he ran the channels well (unsurprisingly since one of the best things about his performances for Norwich is the way he moves across the back four looking for space) and put pressure on established internationals like Tery and Cole.

Still, what do they know these London based and England focussed journos probably all have a secret love for Norwich and want to big us up in the press.

True watching it back the ITV guys seemed to love Morison and Bale but i thought Bale was poor and didnt live up to his high standards! Gave the ball away a lot. It is funny how people see things differently.

After all this chat about Morison hope he bags a couple on Sunday, get that first win!

[quote user="Heeley5"]To say that my comments are pathetic is a little strange its just the way I viewed it! His version of closing down never seemed to put pressure on the defenders! It looked like he was marking space and not hustling the defenders! I think Holt always looks like he is in the faces of defenders, busy. eg always winning + giving away freekicks, he made a good account of himself V Chelsea, who knows if he would have done better but good question.[/quote]

Sorry. I shouldn''t have said your comments were pathetic.

It''s interesting what you say about Holt as him and Morison look very similar players to me. I think Morison is quicker and probably moves the opposition defenders around a bit more. Holt backs himself to either retain posession or win a cheap free kick from a more static position and also seems to get himself into goalscoring positions with more regularity. My only criticism of Holt would be the number of free kicks he is giving away. It''s all very amusing to see John Terry on his arse after Holty has pushed him over but there is a fine line between putting yourself about and easing the pressure on the opposition.

[quote user="Heeley5"]True watching it back the ITV guys seemed to love Morison and Bale but i thought Bale was poor and didnt live up to his high standards! Gave the ball away a lot. It is funny how people see things differently.

After all this chat about Morison hope he bags a couple on Sunday, get that first win![/quote]

I think I''ll go with the journos on this occaision thanks.

[quote user="Heeley5"]True watching it back the ITV guys seemed to love Morison and Bale but i thought Bale was poor and didnt live up to his high standards! Gave the ball away a lot. It is funny how people see things differently. After all this chat about Morison hope he bags a couple on Sunday, get that first win![/quote]

Bale didn''t have a good game, but that isn''t surprising seeing as he was up against Ashley Cole who is about as good as they get at left back. By sticking Bale on the left and forcing him to cut inside took away his main advantage of pace.

Ramsey was obviously the best player on the pitch, and Wales managed to out pass England - especially after Morison came off and they stopped hitting the hopeful long ball to him. This is one of my main worries if Norwich play Morison and Holt together, to temptation to hit mindless long balls up pitch all game.

Well Cole has seen it and done it Literally!

Ramsey looks calm on the ball.....Crofts also looked assured doesnt look like anything fazed him and got stuck into Rooney a few times. I think him and Johnson are gonna play a big part for us this year disrupting the oppos play!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service. [/quote]

Not sure how you can say far superior?[:^)] Take Wales'' strongest 11, including the likes of Bellamy, Bale etc. On paper we are no stronger.

[/quote]Not sure what the strongest Wales XI and Craig Bellamy have to do with anything, the only relevant XI were those out on the pitch. To put another perspective on the matter, why not look at the Wales back five that Rooney failed to score against, and then look a the England back five that Morison failed to score against.

[quote user="Heeley5"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Heeley5"]He is gonna have to face 4 top top defenders most weeks for the rest of the season![/quote]I may as well get in there first with the inevitable and pointless yet entirely justified response....... he isn''t going to playing alone up front every week though, is he?Plus I would personally like to think that our best eleven is far superior to a Wales side made up of predominantly Championship players, and as a result he is more likely to get a bit of service. [/quote]

Thought when i got to the computer this morning some sad act would respond that way!

Ok no problem maybe Grant Holt can do his running for him! Should be easier for him now! Bless.[/quote]Any striker in the world would struggle to run enough against a world class back five. In fact, why not look at the back five that Rooney played against and then perhaps ask my he didn''t score a hat-trick? Playing alone up front is a difficult task, Holt can''t really do it either. To be honest you sound like somebody with very little knowledge of football, Wales should have gone 4-4-2 with Morison and Earnshaw as soon as they went 1-0 down if they wanted to score. Please give me an example of a game in which Grant Holt has been effective as a lone striker. He hasn''t. Now, please tell me what formation Morison is likely to play in with Norwich City, as well as the formation that he played in at Millwall, and then come back and tell me how the hell the Wales game is the slightest bit relevant to us.Blind people shouldn''t watch football mate, I bet you were watching the wrong player if you think that Morison didn''t run. I take it you didn''t see the Wigan game either, where Morison well and truly out ran a below par Holt.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Heeley5"]To say that my comments are pathetic is a little strange its just the way I viewed it! His version of closing down never seemed to put pressure on the defenders! It looked like he was marking space and not hustling the defenders! I think Holt always looks like he is in the faces of defenders, busy. eg always winning + giving away freekicks, he made a good account of himself V Chelsea, who knows if he would have done better but good question.[/quote]

Sorry. I shouldn''t have said your comments were pathetic.

[/quote]

Yes you should.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

My only criticism of Holt would be the number of free kicks he is giving away. It''s all very amusing to see John Terry on his arse after Holty has pushed him over but there is a fine line between putting yourself about and easing the pressure on the opposition.

[/quote]

Wasn''t Holt both the most fouled and fouling player last year in the Champ? He''s also currently the most fouled player in the Prem.

Not once have I said it''s an easy job! Also I agreed with the op view of the game at the game! I may or may not have the footballing wisdom you have?!? But I''m pretty sure a blind person can''t actually watch football maybe that''s something else you know more about!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Interetsing though that most journalists and the match commenators were positive about Morison and the pressure he put on the England defence. The general opinion was that he ran the channels well (unsurprisingly since one of the best things about his performances for Norwich is the way he moves across the back four looking for space) and put pressure on established internationals like Tery and Cole.

Still, what do they know these London based and England focussed journos probably all have a secret love for Norwich and want to big us up in the press.[/quote]

5/10 in the Guardian and support for the ineffectual view in the text