Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

Enjoying the Prem, honestly?

Ship the Fancy Dans off to Europe and blend the old Division Two and One together.Don''t like the Premiership values one bit.... but the promotion to the old Division One which anyone could win was fantastic.

have to agree with the post a couple back. the championship is without doubt the most exciting league, to be in as a supporter. but not always for the standard of football.

it`s certainly more competetive.

I absolutely LOVE being in the Premier League. It''s an unbelievable achievement when you consider the last few years. Walking to the ground before each match feels so exciting because we''ll be up against fantastic players and so far we''ve matched them for the most part. I believe we are back in the big time because we deserve to be for all the hard work achieved over the last 2 years, so we may aswell enjoy it while we''re here. Also, if we carry on playing like we have done in the 1st 3 games, we''re gonna do just fine! =]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]The Championship is football, the Premiership is a business.[/quote]LOVE IT !!!Well I don''t.... but I think you hit the nail on the head !!

The problem is that football is about competition and winning and we all know before the season started that we, together with another 14 or 15 clubs in the Premiership, have no hope of winning the competition in which we are playing. That is the big difference between League One and The Championship. In those divisions there are ten or a dozen teams who can realistically hope to win the title.

Since teams in the Premiership became the playthings of the mega-rich most of the competition has been removed. Success for us is finishing 17th or above, failure for Arsenal will be finishing 5th or below.

The new ''fair play'' rules that UEFA are discussing will not help that much because they do not go anywhere far enough. The obscene wages paid to Premiership players will continue, one way or another, whilst football further down the pyramid will continue to suffer. How many Plymouth players could be paid for a season by the weekly wages of the substitutes on the Manchester City bench?

The top clubs can still monopolise the top players and will still be able to abuse the loan system. 

Absolutely loving the Premiership. As a fan I want Norwich City to be the best club it possibly can. So for me thats equates playing in fantastic stadiums, against some of the best players in world and all the media/increased profile which goes with it. The only caveat I would throw in is that we should never bankrupt ourselves to try and achieve it.

If you don''t have those aspirations for the club, I don''t see how you could have felt the raw emotion of beating Derby in the 96th minute or the promotion night. Which would be a shame because they were very, very special experiences

[quote user="Jacko"]Absolutely loving the Premiership. As a fan I want Norwich City to be the best club it possibly can. So for me thats equates playing in fantastic stadiums, against some of the best players in world and all the media/increased profile which goes with it. The only caveat I would throw in is that we should never bankrupt ourselves to try and achieve it.

If you don''t have those aspirations for the club, I don''t see how you could have felt the raw emotion of beating Derby in the 96th minute or the promotion night. Which would be a shame because they were very, very special experiences[/quote]I think this conflates two ideas; people who do not think the PL is a great experience for clubs of our ilk are not saying that they don''t want Norwich to be at the top, they are saying that the current structure is such that real competition has been removed...imagine a league where no one gets relegated, would finishing last produce the same ''raw emotion'' as knowing that you will spend next year down a division?The PL is now so polarised by the money and ownership of the clubs that only three clubs are in with a shout of winning this year''s competition, so for a club like Norwich - and over half the league - ''winning'' becomes finishing in mid table, maybe top ten...if that is what you want then congratulations you have it but it seems a strange goal.Having said all that I am glad we are here, the money from this will - if managed correctly - stabilize the club and ensure our survival for many years to come, also, the players added this year will hopefully form the basis of a very good Norwich team for the next five /six years. You are absolutely right that we should not bankrupt ourselves for this.

The reason the Championship is so exciting and competitive albeit not the prettieist, is cause everyones chasing the big prize of Premiership status!

The clubs never going to expand and fulfill its potential (a potential which is far greater than what many in the Premiership could ever hope for!) by remaining in the Championship for ever!

Therefore I''d much rather the club would of had the the last 10 season history of perrenial PREM mid tablers Bolton than our previous 10 season history, even though the Championship promotion seasons were great as was our one season tour of League1!

Anyway when you get to Boltons standard you become capable of winning one of the Cups, (even Norwich with our terrible atitude to them) and getting into Europe all of which can create the same levels of excitment as a promotion season! 

I remember our promotion to Division One back in 1972 as very exciting.... With promotion came the real chance of winning things and bringing top players to the club which the legendary John Bond etc. later achieved.Promotion to the Premier League however is all about money and ego. We''ll never win it and we will be lucky to stay in it for more than one season. So where is the excitement in that?If you enjoy watching City being drubbed regularly by the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea maybe you should consider supporting a successful club?  We are what we are and the current breed of supporter''s lust for jewels and status isn''t what NCFC have ever been about.Arsenal should have some spare seats next season if the Premier League is your be all and end all of football.

I like being in Premier League and not sure how people don''t like it, but hey ho, I guess it is what we know isn''t it!  It may be all about the money to an extent and yes there are world beating teams like United, City and Chelsea, but I would rather be cutting it at the top with these boys, than in the championship. The only thing I will miss is beat 1p5wich! Found this though, with some great memories of last season! Love Grant Holt!

Ignoring the money , names etc etc in the Prem, one thing that is souring my opinion of it has to be the press / media.Now I don''t expect us to be getting respect and Grant Holt put on a pedestal like Rooney, Lampard etc etc etc. However a bit of sportsman ship and interest from them would be nice !!We give Chelsea a good run, all they can report on is Juan Mata and Martin O''Neill and Wolverines lovechild that is Villa Boas !!Nothing about, hey look Norwich have just done a double promotion, only Joe Royle and Man City have done that.It goes on, I was listening to the Chelsea game on Five Live, which is the most rediculous piece of "football commentary" i have ever heard !! And its not just Norwich !!Any club going up is going to be the " Who are they ? LOL" for the media until they establish. Look at Stoke who are the ugly step sister of the Prem !! Like, they are here but omg they play Rugby !!Also not liking the fact I have to wait 3 weeks for a bleeding game !!Rant Over.In summary.... Champ was MUCH more exciting :(

Do we want to be the darling sisters of the Premier League though? SO we aren''t adored by the media like Man U, Chelsea etc, but do we want to be?I get the lack of games thing though, not so good is it :(

The competition has gone from the Premiership for all but the few and with it the whole essence of football.

My only regret is that the arabs didn''t come over here and invest their billions into Crewe Alexandra.

Given a few seasons they would be able to achieve just as much at Crewe as they will at Manchester City but by investing in Crewe perhaps, just perhaps, the administrators of our wonderful game might, just might, realise that money is killing the game for all but the privileged few.

And let''s face it, buying these clubs isn''t really an investment as they do not need to invest in anything!

As I have said before the clubs are now mearly playthings of the mega-rich and by doing what they are doing they are ruining the game for so many people.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

The competition has gone from the Premiership for all but the few and with it the whole essence of football.

My only regret is that the arabs didn''t come over here and invest their billions into Crewe Alexandra.

Given a few seasons they would be able to achieve just as much at Crewe as they will at Manchester City but by investing in Crewe perhaps, just perhaps, the administrators of our wonderful game might, just might, realise that money is killing the game for all but the privileged few.

And let''s face it, buying these clubs isn''t really an investment as they do not need to invest in anything!

As I have said before the clubs are now mearly playthings of the mega-rich and by doing what they are doing they are ruining the game for so many people.

[/quote]I liked that very much indeed....  10/10 [*]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[/quote]Yeh totally agree.Just looking forward to when the first money bags gets bored and finds a new hobby !!That bent former KGB Russian has got to give up sooner or later !! Cant honestly wait !!! :)

The prem is the only place to be as far as I''m concerned, only thing I don''t like is there isn''t as many games in the prem. Stupid international break at this early stage of the season doesn''t help, having just had 3 months without football we have this damn break after just 3 games and it just doesn''t feel like things have really got going yet.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I remember our promotion to Division One back in 1972 as very exciting.... With promotion came the real chance of winning things and bringing top players to the club which the legendary John Bond etc. later achieved.Promotion to the Premier League however is all about money and ego. We''ll never win it and we will be lucky to stay in it for more than one season. So where is the excitement in that?If you enjoy watching City being drubbed regularly by the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea maybe you should consider supporting a successful club?  We are what we are and the current breed of supporter''s lust for jewels and status isn''t what NCFC have ever been about.Arsenal should have some spare seats next season if the Premier League is your be all and end all of football.[/quote]I remember that promotion as well Cluckberk and it was exciting and enjoyable and I''ve enjoyed watching Norwich (with the exception of the odd game) ever since then so how do you work out that I or any other Norwich fan should "consider supporting a successful club" just because we enjoy watching Norwich playing at the highest level of the English game?As for "being drubbed regularly by the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea" were you still under your rock last weekend when we were unlucky to come away from Stamford Bridge empty handed, personally I wouldn''t call that a drubbing.

Thre seems to be a split between young''uns, ecited at the prospect of seeing "big teams" in the flesh, and those a bit longer in the tooth who remember with fondness the old division one when it was a truly competitve league. and you could could roll up to the "boys" turnstile sporting stubblle and still get in.....

It''s not as good as it used to be.....

Mungo

This is my best thread I have started on the message board. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Some varied and interesting points. Looks like those of us who are slightly older enjoyed the game when it was more about the football and less about the business.

We are in the Prem and have worked hard to get there so we must adapt and enjoy it even though it will be painful sometimes. A good win against West Brom and we can start feeling better. The next 4 home games are all games we should be winning if we are serious about staying up. We have some trickly away games, Bolton, Man U & Liverpool so by the end of the Blackburn game we will have played 10. If we can average a little more than a point a game over the season we have a chance of staying up.  If we have more than 12 points after our first 10 games this would be a satisfactory start, depends on those teams around us but hisyory says 42+ point is usually enouigh to stay up.

Some of you lot amaze me.

I''m sure you were all aware of what the Premier League was all about when we were fighting tooth and nail to get there last season. When Jackson headed in that goal against Portsmouth, were there any of you thinking ''oh no, it''s all money and cheating refs and international breaks from here''.

Try enjoying it for crying out loud ! 2 years, League 1 to The Premier League, and you still have to pick everything apart and make your dated negative comments. Yes, Football has changed, that''s just something you''ve gotta deal with.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]I would support Norwich in any league!! What a stupid thread.
[/quote]

So would I although some on here wouldn’t.  Where I disagree with you is that this isnt a stupid thread

Like most late-30s early 40s supporters Im fortunate that Norwich City''s best ever times have come in my lifetime.  Ive never known us having a one-off season in Division 2 before relegation back to Division 3 South in the 30s - nor the hassle of re-election.  Ive been to 2 cup semifinals and although didnt go to Wembley for the Milk Cup (couldnt afford it) I did watch it on telly.  The European run, finishing 5th 4th and then 3rd in the top flight.  Great days

Whats not so good now is the lack of competition in the top division.  The days when almost anyone could get there (Carlisle did in the70s) or even finish near the top (QPR, Swansea – even the binners) are gone, with a sadly predictable look to the table most seasons – Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal near the top, the three newly promoted clubs near the bottom and the same faces in the middle, usually with some variation to their order.  The league cup is also seen as an inconvenience (although with the exception of a few years in the 70s and 80s its always been so – when we won it in 62 there was very little top flight involvement) and as for the FA cup – the odds of anyone outside the big 6 winning it are almost as bad as anyone winning the league.  

At the end of the day every division has its plusses and minuses – League 1 had crap refs and no media exposure but ‘real’ fans and terracing, as well as no international breaks;  The Championship had soulless concrete grounds and crap refs but was ultra competitive and the Ultimate Prize of a place in the Prem;  and the Prem has crap refs, the media refers to us as ‘Little Norwich’ but we’re pitching against some of the best players in Europe, if not the world.  Is the Prem worth it?  Yes it is, but I love watching my Norwich whichever division theyre in

I think it''s probably those of us who remember watching football in the 1970s (and before that, for some) who are a little wistful. It''s an interesting thread, and it''s not about moaning, it''s about a state of mind. In lower Divisions, we were aiming to get promoted. Now that there''s nowhere higher for us to go (bar Europe), we are aiming to not get relegated. It''s a different feeling. In the Prem, we can''t feel confident that we can beat any other team (as we could in the Championship), because as others have pointed out, the gulf between clubs at the top and the rest of us is immense.

[quote user="Canarino"]I think it''s probably those of us who remember watching football in the 1970s (and before that, for some) who are a little wistful. It''s an interesting thread, and it''s not about moaning, it''s about a state of mind. In lower Divisions, we were aiming to get promoted. Now that there''s nowhere higher for us to go (bar Europe), we are aiming to not get relegated. It''s a different feeling. In the Prem, we can''t feel confident that we can beat any other team (as we could in the Championship), because as others have pointed out, the gulf between clubs at the top and the rest of us is immense.[/quote]A joy to read.  [Y]If the big money boys decided domestic English football was ''beneath them'' at some point, I feel the rest of us could have a very exciting league system once again. It gets more like the ridiculous Scottish scenario here every year.

This is a really good thread. You can tell, because even Cluck is speaking some sense.

The overriding impression is that lots of people who can remember what football was like pre-1992 aren''t all that fussed about the Greatest League in the World.

Which is fair enough, because it isn''t aimed at football fans, ie, people who go to football matches. It''s aimed at people who like watching football on tv. When the clubs realised that there was more money to be made out of them than us, that''s when football changed.

And it''s totally possible to have jumped ten feet in the air when Simeon headed in Fox''s cross and to think the Prem sucks. As people have said, we want Norwich to be in the highest possible league. And we also want that league to be competitive. They''re not mutually exclusive desires. Or they shouldn''t be.